Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Although I didn't need any type of surgery because I obese, (179lbs, 5ft 3 but not morbidly obese), my sister did and she has regrets. Big time regrets. She was near 300lbs and lost a lot of weight with bypass surgery and ended up having 3 strokes and now she is disabled, had to quit her nursing job and move out of her home. She will NEVER be the same again. Ever.
    It's hard to do it the 'right' way. You have to eat healthier food, avoid the garbage that made you fat, eat less, move more, sweat more, plan more, grocery shop more, cook more, plan your meals before you go out for dinner, etc., you know the drill. I personally think weight loss surgery is not a lifetime cure for obesity. If they don't learn how to eat right and exercise, they will still have a LIFETIME of problems. A lot of people do not eat right afterwards and still gain the weight back! I also think that family counseling would help some of those who have enablers who bring food to them but that's a whole other topic!
    Why not learn how to fuel your body to nourish it, exercise it to keep it healthy and stick with it. I'm sorry but IMO, surgery is laziness and a quick 'fix' that can end up failing in the long run. I think it ranks right up there with using Slimfast, the Atkins diet, cleanses, cabbage soup diets, etc. etc.
    Losing weight and staying healthy is work but YOU and YOUR body are worth the effort! I know I was fat because I ate too much, the wrong foods and I didn't move enough! I was lazy.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    First, the surgery doesn't fail, the patient does. If you aren't willing or able to make the required changes, it won't do you any good. Surgery is a tool, not a cure.

http://rainhoward.blogspot.com/2012/08/why-im-opting-for-bariatric-surgery.html

If you don't care for surgery that obviously is your personal choice, but it gives you no right what so ever to ridicule someone who does. Nor does it make you in any way better than that person.

Nicely said!! Judgement needs to be set aside in all aspects.
  • JPKemp
    JPKemp Posts: 25
    Options
    So far, 2 of the 3 people I know that had it are gaining the weight back....the 3rd one hasn't had it long enough yet. It corrects the symptoms but not the problem. Unless you can change your eating habits along with it, its not going to help in the long term.

So far, 2 of the 3 people I know that are dieting and exercising are gaining the weight back...the 3rd just started and hasn't been on a diet or exercised long enough yet to burn out. Diet and exercise, with some people, corrects the symptoms but not the problem. Unless you can change your eating and exercise habits for life, its not going to help in the long term........

JUST SAYING.......
  • humanbeing1993
    humanbeing1993 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think that for some people, surgery IS an "easy way out". Other people need immediate help getting to where they can be active and eat in a healthy manner.

Here's my story:

At age 32 I weighed 265 lbs. I had tried every diet program from Jenny Craig to Weight watchers to shakes. All of them led to some weight loss, but over time the weight came back and I ended up weighing more and more. I started having health problems - diabetes, asthma, high cholesterol - and was taking a medication for each of these things in addition to anti-depression meds becuase I was depressed. When I talked to my Doctor about weight loss, he recommended diet and exercise changes. After several months of trying to make changes in my life I returned to the Doctor and we had a LONG discussion about what I was going through and what my options really were as far as surgery vs. "doing it on my own". I was enrolled (through my Kaiser Permante insurance) in a weight loss program designed to get a person ready for weight loss surgery. If I was successful with this program I could be eligible for surgery.

To qualify for the surgery I had to lose 10% of my body weight and attend 6 months of weekly 4 hour classes on nutrition, lifestyle changes, and informational seminars on what the long and short term effects of a weight loss surgery would be.

I was the lowest weight person in the class and everyone kept telling me "You're not that fat. You don't need surgery." I came to the weekly sessions and did everything I was supposed to because I wanted to be healthy. Part of the requirement of the program was to keep a food log - I did it. Another part was to exercise in some way during each week - I did. 6 months later the program ended. I had lost 30+ lbs and although I was eligible for surgery right away, I decided that I would wait and see if I could maintain the weight loss. As per the program rules I had one year to opt in for a surgery (bypass, sleeve, or band) and if I chose not to at that point I would have to do the program again to be eligible.

Fast forward to a year later. I had managed to keep off 5 lbs of the original 30+ I had lost. I visited my Doctor again and after increasing several medications because my medical issues were worse, not better, he finally agreed that surgery *might* be a good option for me.

I chose the gastric sleeve surgery and it was a very short wait to get that done. I spent about 4 days in the hospital post surgery and then was sent home. The first month post surgery was horrible. I was tired, the things I could drink (no eating yet) were nasty tasting and I had to drink them constantly to get enough nutrition in my body to function even partly normally. On top of this I was walking at least 2 miles a day. People who didn't know I had had surgery would ask me if I was "feeling okay" becuase I looked sick all the time. I was losing weight, so none of my clothes fit and I knew I would lose more very soon so no sense in buying anything just yet. Total weight loss this month- about 15 lbs.

Month two progressed to blended foods (milkshake thickness of soups and mashed potato consistency foods), which still tasted nasty but in a different way than the liquid diet did. I was still taking ALL my original medications plus a grip of liquid vitamins/supplements. I'd lost a bunch of weight so I finally had to buy some new pants. Still going for my daily walks. Total weigh tloss this month - about 20 lbs. My Doctor takes me off the diabetes medications becuase my blood sugar is already at a normal level.

Month three you get to try nibbling different foods, but you don't ever "eat" becuase the amount of food you can put into your new "stomach" is so miniscule that you can't really call that eating. Many things that I used to enjoy upset my stomach terribly such as milk products and anything even slightly acidic. I finally am not feeling constantly tired and the daily walks increased to about 4 miles. Total weigh tloss this month - about 10 lbs. I am now off the cholesterol meidcations and my asthma problems are only present when I am exercising.

Not a lot different happens between months 3 to 6. The amount of food and types of food that I could eat have increased slightly, but I still have a very restricted diet to ensure I am getting enough protein for my body to function correctly. I continue daily walks. Total weight loss during this time - about 15 lbs. Month six you are supposed to have lost about 1/2 to 2/3 of the total weight you wanted to lose. No more medications prescribed. I am exercising 3 times a week and have a new wardrobe that fits pretty well.

Months 6 to one year. Restricted diet - no pasta, no bread, no rice, low fat, high protein foods only supplemented with vegetables and protein shakes. Exercise 3 times per week most weeks. I am now at 169 lbs. I feel good, I look good, things in my life are good. The amount of food I eat in a single sitting is about equal to half a sandwich but isn't enough to sustain me for more than about 4 hours so I eat every four hours still and even more frequently if i choose a food that is high in carbs becuase my body will use those up within a couple of hours and I will get shakey and nauseated if i don't put in protein.

Another year passes and things in my life aren't so great. My wife leaves and I have to work more and then start taking classes at the college. I don't have time for exercise and my food choices aren't always the best. My weight creeps up a bit, I struggle to eat better and it creeps down. I continue this cycle for the next two years and although I am eating less quantity and better quality foods than when I was at 265 lbs my weight is increasing becuase I am not exercising. I move houses, twice. I change jobs. I am back at 199 lbs and wondering if I am just meant to be fat. Time passes with me struggling at the 199 lb weight telling myself it's OK and not to worry I can lose it.

I met a new girl who also wanted to live healthier and we start using MFP to track food and exercise and to keep each other on track. We try new foods and exercise as often as possible. I have food restirctions (becuase of my surgery) and she has a number of food allergies so we tend to eat freshly prepared home cooked meals most of the time. I log faithfully and keep to my calorie and exercise goals (for the most part) from January to June of this year. During that time I lost 30 lbs and get back down to about 170. I'm comfortable at this weight and it's where I am today.

I dont feel that weight loss surgery was an "easy way out" because it changes your life in many wys forever. The first six month were atrocious and hard. It gets better over time, but you never get to be "normal" again after that type of surgery. I am still taking vitamin and iron supplements and will have to do so for the remainder of my life. I still eat about every 4 hours and keep track of how much protein I am eating so that I don't get the shakes and feel nauseated.

I might have been able to lose the total amount of wieght I lost through diet and exercise if I hadn't been so far overweight and had so many complications. I know it was a LOT easier to lose the most recent ~30 lbs than it was the frist 30+ I lost prior to surgery becuase I was able to exercise and didn't feel like I was starving myself.

Both ways of losing weight are hard both mentally and physically. Congratulate the people that are losing weight, regardless of whether it's through surgery or through simple diet and exercise. It takes determination and hard work no matter which option you choose.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Not offended, but just think some on here might want to educate themselves.

It takes tremendous willpower, courage, and hard work to lose weight and maintain it after a necessary weightloss surgery.

I agree that it can be an option that is misused by some, but there are those of us that have fought much longer and harder than the many of the 20 something yearolds on here that have 20 pounds to lose to achieve their goal of a size zero.

I think it would be much more productive to be gracious on this site and realize that we don't all walk in the same bodies and have the same metabolisms, health benefits, genetic makeup, etc.

Yes, I do celebrate my weight loss after weightloss surgery and totally own the accomplishments i have achieved. and anyone that knows me personally knows the hardwork, diligence and struggle that has gone into reaching my health goals using this tool of weightloss surgery.

A person can only fail for so many years before they realize they have to try something they have not tried before. It is interesting to me that those that find success with traditional weightloss methods think that they have cornered the market on hardwork, and persistence and that those who do not find success just did not try hard enough, or did not do it the right way/

For me it was a problem with my gut and the way my body processed foods. No matter how I tried i could only lose a portion of the weight I needed to lose (I was 325lbs.) I now weigh 159 lbs, monitor my food carefully, and workout daily. My surgery merely got me back to a point of somewhat normal metabolism--then, i had to make good food and exercise choices to lose and maintain my weight loss.

I hope for a traditional weightloss strategy to work for everyone on this site as "yes" it is the best options if all things are equal. But, it traditional does not work for you and you have truly done all you can do then "choose LIFE and HEALTH" no matter what the cost. And "yes" celebrate the weightloss, your new life, no matter what the jouney entailed to get there. You deserve it! Going from morbid obesity to a normal weight is HARD WORK regardless of the steps--don;t let anyone still your victory lap!!!!!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My doctor has suggested the sugery and sent through all the paperwork to get it started. That was back in June. I am here because I don't want the surgery. It doesn't fix the problem, if you don't change your eating habits then the surgery will be a temporary fix because your lifestyle hasn't changed.
    I have seen so many people get the surgery, lose a bunch of weight and then put it back on a couple years later because once everything healed they were able to start eating more and more of the wrong foods, and of course they didn't do any exercise because they were losing weight without it so why bother.
    The weight loss surgery is a useful tool if you use it correctly, for the morbidly obese it may be the only way to get the ball rolling because mobility is limited when you are extrememly heavy.
    For those here who were overweight because of inactivity and overeating.........Was it difficult to cut back on calories, to stop eating your favorite foods, and to start exercising more? Well imagine if you didn't have the will power to do it. The surgery can give some people the time they need to make those changes without feeling starved because it does cause you to feel full most of the time, but like I said, once it gets better, you have to be commited to the changes.
    I don't think anyone has a right to throw stones in this case. Congratulations to those who have made the changes necessary without surgery but don't look down on those who cannot.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 2 years ago. I am down 154 pounds and I contribute that equally to 3 things. My band, regular daily exercise, and eating healthy.

I knew going into it that I had to change my ways or I would fail the band too. A lot of people fail because they don't change their ways.

I can tell you I did not take the easy way out, bucause there has been absolutely nothing easy about it. I have worked harder on this diet then any of the other dozens and dozens I have been on. Maybe it was just the tool I needed to succeed???

This world has invented all sorts of things that make life easier, your car, cell phone, computer, vacuume cleaners ... yet I see people take the easy way out and use these items everyday just like I use my band everyday.

So when people throw their cell phone in the garbage and light a fire and start sending smoke signals... we'll talk.

Just my opinion.

I don't care who knows I had lap band surgery and even more so I don't care what anyone thinks of it. It has completely turned my life around and for those of you who judge people when you really know nothing about it, I think you are ignorant.
  • LaNena01
    LaNena01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that if you have health issues and no other options, are so obese that you can't move then it is a viable option. I work in the medical profession and the problem I see is that people are getting this surgery now who only have 50 pounds or more to lose, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. If you are willing to change your honestly change your lifestyle, i.e. dietary habits and exercise and you really want the surgery then by all means go ahead. However, I have seen people have the surgery and end up going right back to where they were or even worse off. It is not a quick fix for sure and there are other complications that come along with it. Whatever your choice, it's your choice and no one elses. Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope you achieve your goals.

I agree with this. I have seen people talking about surgery that in my non professional opinion really should not be viable candidates for it. Here is Springfield, Oregon we have a "center of excellence" at the hospital. They perform several hundred bypass operations per year. However, they are very specific about who they offer it to. You MUST fit very specific criteria in order to be a candidate. Each case is evaluated by a panel of professionals and they don't just accept a person because they ask for. The center is also required to fill specific training guidelines, safety protocols and numerous other things to keep the "center of excellence" stamp.

Before you can even fill out the application for surgery you are required to attend an orientation class to explain the risks of surgery. This all by its self weeds out numerous people. And that's just the beginning. I think one of the causes of the negative stigma attached to bariatric surgery is the number of people who have failed miserably, often with serious medical consequences. But this is not a fault of the surgery in and of its self, it is the fault of doctors and hospitals desire to make money to the detriment of their patients.
  • JPKemp
    JPKemp Posts: 25
    Options
    Everyone I know (all two of them) who have had the surgery have gained all of the weight (and, in one case, even more) back. IMO, it's a waste of money and dangerous to one's health if the person isn't willing to make the necessary mental and emotional changes. No surgery can do that part.

Same here. At least two guys from work have had surgery to lose weight and now they are bigger than ever. I'm a firm believer that you won't appreciate something that you didn't earn. And having surgery to lose weight is not earning it.

I know at least 6 of the ten people that work in my office that have gained every bit of the weight they lost "naturally" back plus pounds................

You can make the same arguement for both sides, just change the words..losing wieght is just a small part of the battle, keeping it off is the WAR...lets face it, if it were easy...we would all be at our goal weight...If you do not go into this fight with the right attitudes, support, tools, thought process, etc, then regardless of surgery or "natural" ways success is limited and short lived......
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have had weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve in November 2011). I have lost 118 pounds total, but I will tell you WLS is not an easy out or a quick fix. Even after surgery, you still have to watch what you eat and exercise in order to lose weight. I also had to do a 6 month supervised diet (1200 calories) prior to being approved for surgery and had to do a pre-op clear liquid diet for 7 days just before surgery. After surgery, I did clear liquids then progressed to full liquids and then mushies and pureed and finally onto a regular modified diet (no raw veggies, no breads, no beef, and some other exceptions until after 2 months post-op).
    Also, after WLS you can no longer take Nsaids, can't drink when you eat or 30 minutes before or after, must take vitamins and supplements for the rest of your life, along with some other guidelines you must follow.
    WLS is a tool. I chose that tool because I have lost large amounts of weight in the past and was unsuccessful at keeping it off. My health got to the point when I had to do something about it once and for all. And to me WLS was the tool I need to not only get the weight off but to help keep it off.
    It doesn't fix the brain or stop the cravings, I have to work on that for myself. And yes they may have reduced the size of my stomach, but if I chose to eat crap all the time, I'm not going to lose weight. I still have to eat properly and exercise, so yes I feel that I can be proud of how well I have done.
    I personally don't go around bragging about how well I have done or make FB posts to that effect, but then I don't need everyone's validation either. I didn't do that in the past when I lost weight before surgery either.
    It shouldn't matter if someone had surgery or did it with just diet and exercise. Either way a person should feel proud of themselves for losing the weight and keeping it off.
    If you don't like reading those posts on FB, then don't read them.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If people didnt rag on the ones that have gone the surgery path,then what ever will they harp on to make them feel like they are better than somebody else?

It's always about how people feel about themselves, not what is right or wrong for someone else.
    Scratch the surface of someone who says someone else is coping-out and you find someone deathly afraid that they will fail. Putting someone else's choice down is an age old way of reassuring ourselves that our decisions are correct.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it should be a LAST RESORT. I believe you should have already done everything humanly possible on your own- consistently, with discipline before you consider surgery. If you do this, chances are you aren't going to need surgery. As for bragging rights? I'm not impressed. Happy for them because I know it feels good but I am not impressed. I am far more impressed when someone does it on their own through hard work and self discipline because, in my opinion, you have then earned everyone of those pounds lost and the bragging rights that go with them.

I've known people who have had it and based on the side effects I've seen I don't know why you would want it. However, to each their own. I, personally, prefer to alter my body naturally by means of hard work and no more excuses.
  • dpeeler28
    dpeeler28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i am currently 1 month post op. i had the gastric sleeve(for those of you who dont know, it is not a band, and it is not quite as intrusive as the bypass. they remove 85% of the stomach) i am not ashamed of this, and for anyone who says this is any easy way out has no idea the mental, physical or emotional toll it takes on a person. i have had 28 years of nothing but southern cooking, my family is overweight, unhealthy, and wouldn't be able to steer me in the right direction if they had to. i have tried every diet i could think of and failed miserably at all of them. i learned thru this surgery, that i depended on food for comfort. This surgery is merely a tool for me. it is not a magic bullet, nor fool proof. i still have to exercise, eat healthy and most of all, i have to break my relationship with food because i can only eat 1/.4 to 1/2 c of food in one sitting. i HAVE to make smart choices to keep my body healthy. i am not lazy and never have been....i baled hay with the boys, played baseball and volleyball and worked outside in the barn and with my horse everyday......my eating habits are what hurt me. i didn't know any better! this surgery has HELPED me come to terms with WHY i was overweight in the first place....and for that, i will never regret making this decision for myself. and anyone who wants to call me lazy can....... : ) and PS as for bragging rights...anyone who has taken that step(no matter what it may be) to become a healthier and happier person can brag as much as they damn well please.....all you people who think surgery is easy have no clue how hard this "easy way out" really is!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My problem with the surgery is it doesn't get to the root of why the person gained all that weight to begin with. I have two friends who have had gastic bypass and another who has a lap band.

All three lost a tremendous amount of weight...initially. But all three gained back their weight over time. Because their reasons for overeating never changed.

I don't necessarily think there's a "better" way to lose weight...everyone has their own journey to walk...but the only way to acheive lasting weight loss is to find out WHY we gained all that weight to begin with. If we don't permanently change those habits, the weight will slowly creep back on.

All of this. I have some family members who have had the surgery, and I just don't understand their mentality. One had the lap band, and since that didn't work they proceeded with the sleeve. Every facebook check in is another diner, restraunt, or a picture of them eating. Seriously? It frustrates me because I feel like they're getting a second (and THIRD!) chance to do things right and be healthy, yet they're blowing it.

If a person can truly make lifestyle changes after a surgery, that is wonderful...but if you continue to eat the same crap I really don't have any respect for you and that is taking the "easy way" out in my eyes. (I'm not saying surgery is easy, I know there are many risks, I just can't wrap my head around going through all that to not do the simple things in life that can exponentially improve everything else and make the most of that experience.)
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I think weight loss surgery is a cop-out for individuals who still have mobility and the means to exercise/diet the weight off. I surely wouldn't brag if my success was a byproduct of a medical advancement (as opposed to my own willpower, hard work, and determination). That's just me. Sorry if I've offended anyone who has had surgery.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself! KUDOS

My thoughts exactly, with one addendum, if it is a matter of immediate life and death as in a grossly obese person then I am all for it, my issue is with perfectly otherwise healthy people getting surgery for a simple weight issue.
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    Options
    I am always tickled by those that have the surgery and say "it was the only way that I could lose weight". Correct me if I am wrong, but unless it was liposuction, the sugery did not "remove or result in removing weight from your body". What weight was lost was done so by not having the ability to eat in a way that would cause you to gain weight and actually forcing you into eating an amount that would result you losing weight?
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My problem with the surgery is it doesn't get to the root of why the person gained all that weight to begin with. I have two friends who have had gastic bypass and another who has a lap band.

All three lost a tremendous amount of weight...initially. But all three gained back their weight over time. Because their reasons for overeating never changed.

I don't necessarily think there's a "better" way to lose weight...everyone has their own journey to walk...but the only way to acheive lasting weight loss is to find out WHY we gained all that weight to begin with. If we don't permanently change those habits, the weight will slowly creep back on.

All of this. I have some family members who have had the surgery, and I just don't understand their mentality. One had the lap band, and since that didn't work they proceeded with the sleeve. Every facebook check in is another diner, restraunt, or a picture of them eating. Seriously? It frustrates me because I feel like they're getting a second (and THIRD!) chance to do things right and be healthy, yet they're blowing it.

If a person can truly make lifestyle changes after a surgery, that is wonderful...but if you continue to eat the same crap I really don't have any respect for you and that is taking the "easy way" out in my eyes. (I'm not saying surgery is easy, I know there are many risks, I just can't wrap my head around going through all that to not do the simple things in life that can exponentially improve everything else and make the most of that experience.)

Exactly! I know four people that have had the surgery and it seems like all they do is eat junk. One girl is posting pictures of a Ding Dong Twinkie cake that she ate on her birthday, one is posting pictures of the junk she's constantly eating, and the other is constantly being tagged at various eating spots with pics of her eating food and enjoying alcoholic drinks. It seems to me that they are not making the changes that are necessary to live a healthy lifestyle. And had they made those changes they wouldn't have needed the surgery.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i am currently 1 month post op. i had the gastric sleeve(for those of you who dont know, it is not a band, and it is not quite as intrusive as the bypass. they remove 85% of the stomach) i am not ashamed of this, and for anyone who says this is any easy way out has no idea the mental, physical or emotional toll it takes on a person. i have had 28 years of nothing but southern cooking, my family is overweight, unhealthy, and wouldn't be able to steer me in the right direction if they had to. i have tried every diet i could think of and failed miserably at all of them. i learned thru this surgery, that i depended on food for comfort. This surgery is merely a tool for me. it is not a magic bullet, nor fool proof. i still have to exercise, eat healthy and most of all, i have to break my relationship with food because i can only eat 1/.4 to 1/2 c of food in one sitting. i HAVE to make smart choices to keep my body healthy. i am not lazy and never have been....i baled hay with the boys, played baseball and volleyball and worked outside in the barn and with my horse everyday......my eating habits are what hurt me. i didn't know any better! this surgery has HELPED me come to terms with WHY i was overweight in the first place....and for that, i will never regret making this decision for myself. and anyone who wants to call me lazy can....... : ) and PS as for bragging rights...anyone who has taken that step(no matter what it may be) to become a healthier and happier person can brag as much as they damn well please.....all you people who think surgery is easy have no clue how hard this "easy way out" really is!

Well said!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are all "But so-and-so in my life had the surgery and they're not even trying!!", have you realized how many people in this thread have had the surgery? And yet we're here, because we *know* we're not finished with our journey and that we still have a lot of hard work to put in. So maybe you should remember that the next time you want to start using anecdotal evidence of why surgery is just so awful.

Are we perfect? Of course not. I still eat like crap some days (and I've been really horrible this last month or so due to an insane amount of traveling), but I'm still here, just like all of you.