Alcohol. How can you resist?!

Options

Replies

• monkeeface
    monkeeface Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do drink at least 2 litres of water a day, but theres no buzz from that. Its just to keep my belly full so I dont have to eat.

The thing with exercise though, it doesn't make me feel good. I do it out of necessity not for fun. Not for a buzz. I'm one of these people who don't get this so called release of endorphins which is why I struggle with motivation.

I know that the body uses alcohol calories first & food calories last - which is why I dont eat much. Alcohol DOES make me less bored, thats the beauty of it. But there must be something else that can give you a buzz? (exercise doesn't, no matter how hard I workout).

I've always been dead against drugs but I'm starting to consider getting some legal (prescription) drugs as an alcohol substitute. I would never take illegal drugs, not that legal drugs can be any less addictive.

Holy crap, drink because you're bored? How about a hobby? Read a book?

This can't be a real post. You're 37?? No way.

Yes it's real. Yes I'm 37. What's so hard to believe - I didn't think I was that unique...but now I feel special.

I do read, dabble in photography, watch comedies on TV etc. That doesn't make it impossible to have a drink at the same time. Most people tend to drink whilst doing something else with their mind. My original question was to wonder if there was an alternative to drinking whilst I did these other things to make them a bit more exciting/stimulating. I'm here because I want to be a bit more healthy and its going to have to be one step at a time. First cut down on booze, then increase the exercise, then maybe eat more/better.

Age is just a number and I don't judge people any differently based on their age.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Yes it's real. Yes I'm 37. What's so hard to believe - I didn't think I was that unique...but now I feel special.

I do read, dabble in photography, watch comedies on TV etc. That doesn't make it impossible to have a drink at the same time. Most people tend to drink whilst doing something else with their mind. My original question was to wonder if there was an alternative to drinking whilst I did these other things to make them a bit more exciting/stimulating. I'm here because I want to be a bit more healthy and its going to have to be one step at a time. First cut down on booze, then increase the exercise, then maybe eat more/better.

Age is just a number and I don't judge people any differently based on their age.

Exactly. I couldn't tell you how many nights I sat down with a book and a bottle of wine. Or cleaned my house. Or cooked supper, walk the dogs, watch tv, you name it, hell i've even drank and worked out. Its really just as simple as drinking a glass of water. So just "getting a hobby" or "reading a book" isn't always the easy peasy solution people seem to think it is.

also..look into a milk thistle supplement. you liver will thank you!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't buy alcohol to keep in the house. If it isn't there you can't drink it. When you go out just think about what is more important to you: working a buzz or being healthier? If you don't care about your health (how you look is ALWAYS secondary to how you feel) then why are you here? Seriously... it is that simple.

I like to drink. I am nearly 45 years old and if I am not hurting anyone (drinking driving, drinking so much that I miss work or family activities, embarrassing myself by being sloppy, fall down, teetering drunk) then sorry, no crazed AA convert is going to tell me anything that I NEED to hear/know. I've lost a dear friend to AA and those people are CRAZY.

I busted out a tape measure a few days back and was HORRIFIED to see that I had a 30" waist... all from drinking too much socially. We are talking AVERAGE 3-4 drinks maybe 4-5 days a week. Average = some nights 2 drinks, some nights as many as 6 or 7. I have NEVER had a waist this thick. My fat and happy measurement was 27". So this was a big wake-up call to me. I won't be seeking the drink again until I get back to 27" (I am already down 1.5"). And when I get there I may just decide that I don't really WANT a drink again until I get back to my goal size of 25". And then I may just decide that 2-3 drinks ONE NIGHT per week will suit me just fine. Or maybe 1-2 glasses of red wine per night... Either way it's all about moderation.

I don't recommend AA to anyone because I've seen what it does to people. How about this, You Just Don't Drink? My husband quit drinking for 3 years - high blood pressure, too much bodyfat and bad state of mind when drinking led him to this decision. He just stopped. Now he just stays away from hard liquor and drinks a few beers or glasses of wine when we are out or even at home. It stops at 2/3 drinks 3/4 nights a week. ...or none at all.

The key is separating wants from needs.

WOW. Are you kidding?? Crazed AA converts?? You say you lost a friend to AA but you do you have any idea how many friends/family members have been SAVED because of AA? Just because your husband was able to "just quit" doesnt mean that everyone can. Some people do not have that type of control on their own hence why they are in the program to begin with and it takes A LOT of courage to admit you have a problem and allow the program to help you! It saves lives. Please don't discourage anyone who has a drinking problem from approaching it.
  • monkeeface
    Options
    I have cut down on my drinking, but I still indulge. And most times I do, it fits my calories. What's the big deal? Some weekends, I go over, but I exercise like crazy, eat well and drink lots of water. I have been losing. I'm sure if I cut it out completely, I'd be at my goal weight by now, but I don't like sweets, so this is my treat.

That is how I used to be and how I want to get back to being. It's the 'exercise like crazy' bit I struggle with!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If drinking is a problem, id like to introduce you to my father in law-the mean, delusional,worthless drunk. he relies on his sons to stop whatever theyre doing to keep his drunk sorry *kitten* out of jail, and then tells them to grow a pair and stop being pu***** when they dont. if i ever wanted a drink, seeing him plastered and screaming at his grandkids at 9:30am talked me right out of it.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "WOW. Are you kidding?? Crazed AA converts?? You say you lost a friend to AA but you do you have any idea how many friends/family members have been SAVED because of AA? Just because your husband was able to "just quit" doesnt mean that everyone can. Some people do not have that type of control on their own hence why they are in the program to begin with and it takes A LOT of courage to admit you have a problem and allow the program to help you! It saves lives. Please don't discourage anyone who has a drinking problem from approaching it."

Thank you. :-)
  • monkeeface
    Options
    [/quote]

Exactly. I couldn't tell you how many nights I sat down with a book and a bottle of wine. Or cleaned my house. Or cooked supper, walk the dogs, watch tv, you name it, hell i've even drank and worked out. Its really just as simple as drinking a glass of water. So just "getting a hobby" or "reading a book" isn't always the easy peasy solution people seem to think it is.

[/quote]

Yeah - I know what you mean. I can't / don't drink that much during the week because it makes it harder to get up in the morning and work can be a nightmare the following day with a hangover. But I never really have hangovers during the week. But even if I only have a glass or 2 of wine on a week night, I feel like it relieves stresses of the day and (I believe) it helps me relax.
  • monkeeface
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Oh yeah - it's already part of my supplement regime!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the others, it does sound like you need something like AA.

I gave up alcohol in my early 20s and it was pretty easy. I just stopped.. I may have 1 or 2 drinks per year but that is about it. I don't need it. Maybe look into a social sport like karate so that you aren't drinking while you are exercising?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is not quite 'food & nutrition' but it kind of is in my mind. Without doubt, my biggest downfall is alcohol. I dont really eat much but I reckon about half of my calorie intake comes from booze.

I take supplements for things like fibre, protein, vitamins etc and if there was a magic 'meal in a pill' I'd take it rather than having to eat actual food! Needless to say, if I stopped drinking then I'd probably lose some weight but I'd rather be able to drink & go to the gym to cancel each other out (in calorific terms at least).

So is there an alternative to alcohol? Something perhaps stimulating but not so calorific? I'm sure most evenings I drink 'cos I'm bored but deep down I know I'd rather not be drinking. I'll have maybe 1 booze free day a week but usually weekends are all dayers so large quantities are consumed. So what can give you a buzz that isn't alcohol?

Since I'm not an alcoholic, it's pretty easy for me to say no to alcohol. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

My favorite alternative is illegal, but I am working to change that. One day, the safer alternative will be everywhere and the beer sales will plummet. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    A vape - as in a vaporizer for marijauna. Pretty common here in Denver where medical marijuana pretty much makes it legal entirely.

Wait until November. It will be entirely legal! *wishing I was in Denver*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Surely everyone needs a buzz from something?

Nope.

I'd try antidepressants as it seems that you have some issues- or failing that , you drink coz you are bored- then find a hobby you enjoy instead.

Ewww, no, do NOT take anti-depressants simply because you are bored at night. BAD, BAD advice.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I do drink at least 2 litres of water a day, but theres no buzz from that. Its just to keep my belly full so I dont have to eat.

The thing with exercise though, it doesn't make me feel good. I do it out of necessity not for fun. Not for a buzz. I'm one of these people who don't get this so called release of endorphins which is why I struggle with motivation.

I know that the body uses alcohol calories first & food calories last - which is why I dont eat much. Alcohol DOES make me less bored, thats the beauty of it. But there must be something else that can give you a buzz? (exercise doesn't, no matter how hard I workout).

I've always been dead against drugs but I'm starting to consider getting some legal (prescription) drugs as an alcohol substitute. I would never take illegal drugs, not that legal drugs can be any less addictive.

You appear by statements made to have an addiction problem- but no one here can diagnose someone we don't know. However, your asking for gratification that comes from alcohol and possibly using prescription pills to meet that need. If its a need, there is a huge problem there, and its not caloric. I have extensive knowledge of alcoholism- enough to say in my opinion only- you just put it out there, the issue is a dependency one- and you should see help- AA is a great place to start- wish you the very best! Alcohol/drugs and living for a buzz is not the answer- and eventually your body will become immune and require more
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an addiction that needs to be worked on.
    Like people have said, AA or even a conversation with your doctor can help. Have a sit down with someone that means something to you or someone who is impartial and talk about the effects drinking has on you, your body, your mind or your goals.

"Getting a hobby" won't be enough to help you if you are addicted to something, you need more than that. But I agree with everyone who is saying exercise. If you find yourself wanting a drink, go job down the block and back. Every time you feel the compulsion, go for a run. Also, get rid of all the alcohol in your house! If you keep it around you'll drink it and that is defeating the purpose.

I recommend talking to a doctor though and telling them your problem.

You can do it! And good luck! :D
  • jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    I think you would probably be able to resist if you could see what alcohol has done to my dad. He's drank at least 10 beers every day for the last 20-30 years. This spring it finally caught up with him. He gained tons of weight (about 100 pounds), from retaining fluid in his stomach and legs. At the moment he is in a physical therapy rehab facility because he literally can't walk from being in the hospital for almost a month without movement. He has liver failure, cirrhosis from drinking too much for too long. He had to have a TIPS procedure to bypass his liver because the blood wasn't being filtered there like it should. He's looking at a life-long battle now (just not sure how long that life will be). All my life I can only remember him drinking. He never drank "regular" drinks like pop or water. My children have never ridden wit hi him because he's never been sober enough that I would trust them to ride with him. He quit drinking in April when he found out the severity of his liver damage- but it was much too late. I understand there are reasons that people drink- I don't think he did it because he was thirsty, but I know it helped him deal with stress and finally became a habit and an addiction. However, there is no reason to put yourself or your family through the pain, stress, and upheaval that will come from this problem. I'm not sure what to tell you to try instead of alcohol to give you a buzz, but if I were you I would try everything I could think of until I found something. I'm getting off my soapbox now, sorry for the rant.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Really people? This guy is trolling.

^^This^^. However, if he is not trolling, then I hope he stops drinking before he suffers any serious consequences. When he gets sick and tired of feeling sick and tired (admitting to not feeling well on work days) maybe he'll do something about it and start living a healthier lifestyle before someone he loves or someone you love pays the price.

Sincerely,
    Carla
    Grateful Recovering Alcoholic and a VERY active member of AA
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink pretty much every day. I also eat healthy, and certainly half my calories are not from my nightly wine. But then, I love food. I especially love food with wine.

There is a certain substance you can smoke that gives a reaction similar, but not identical, to alcohol. It is, unfortunately, illegal in most countries and may make you want to eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Perhaps you should consider smoking pot...no calories there! (hehe j/k...but seriously lol0

You may think I'm bonkers saying this, but smoking is bad for you!

No seriously, I draw the line at smoking. However.....hash cakes.........

Well there you go then. You don't have to smoke it. Vape it or eat it. It's a better buzz and won't cause permanent damage like alcohol does. And the buzz is much better. Cannabis makes things more interesting. You can't stay bored because you will be too busy thinking and contemplating the mysteries of life. :tongue:
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The OP explained his problem and asked for suggestions for an issue that doesn't seem quite healthy (admitting he drinks more calories than he eats, drug seeking behavior) on a board about fitness and health.

The OP was given honest advice and suggestions. Addiction was brought up, he says noooo I'm not addicted, I'M JUST BORED. He whined and made excuses, accusing everyone of being health freak fitness nuts that didn't understand (when most of us are furthest from that). That's what I'm holy crapping about. Small children whine when they are bored. This guy is 37. I honestly thought when I clicked on his profile, that I was going to see the profile of a kid. If you have an addiction and want to change, then perhaps you need help. If you don't want to admit that you have a problem and you're "just bored" then I stand by my original suggestion of getting a hobby. Which is a nice way of saying get a life. Or grow the heck up.

I really need to stay out of stuff like this.
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on my drinking, but I still indulge. And most times I do, it fits my calories. What's the big deal? Some weekends, I go over, but I exercise like crazy, eat well and drink lots of water. I have been losing. I'm sure if I cut it out completely, I'd be at my goal weight by now, but I don't like sweets, so this is my treat.

That is how I used to be and how I want to get back to being. It's the 'exercise like crazy' bit I struggle with!

It took a bit to get that way with exercising for sure!! Just start off slow. :)