Tired of all the "real dieters"

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    also, what the hell does it matter how much weight i've had to lose? you don't get muscles, deadlift 1.75x your body weight and squat the same by sitting on your *kitten*. That takes work. Are you saying that you wouldn't listen to the most successful person in your company if they hadn't failed before getting to that point? Would you not take their advice on how to someday get into a similar position? If not then that's just silly. I ALWAYS LOOK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE WHERE I WANT TO BE because obviously they've done something right. Maybe my journey will be slightly different because our circumstances are different but there are very useful bits of advice and information found by not seeing their perspective as condemnation but merely as a tool to guide my own behavior.
    because to some people it may come off like someone who has never had an alcohol or drug addiction telling people who have to just use self control. Its a little belittling . we are not all the same so try to support people as they try to learn and overcome.

But we are NOT all the same, as you said. Just because someone never had a hundred pounds to lose doesn't mean they don't know anything. Jillian Michaels never had THAT much weight to lose, in my opinion. And there are tons of other fitness professionals like that.

Nobody has a perfect life. We all have difficult experiences that we have learned from. Someone who has had an alcohol addiction may be able to help someone who has had a drug addiction. Someone who has had anorexia may be able to help someone who has struggled with over-eating. Just because we've had different paths doesn't mean we can't help each other.
    thats exactly correct. just be aware not every person is as far along as she obviously is. at least they are on here trying to learn.

Not everyone is open to learning actually. Many many people are not and I wish that wasn't the case. You'd be surprised at how resistant people are to TRYING to do things in a way that defies what they think is "the best way" (usually eating as few calories as possible and working out as much as possible).
    for the record i agree with most of the advice you gave.
    Thank you. I appreciate you saying this. I'm really NOT trying to be condescending in the slightest. If you only knew just how much of my time I give to helping people who do WANT the help you might be shocked. I respond to every message/question I get and with my friends I TRY to steer them in a healthy direction taking their circumstances into account.
    Options
    These threads are so annoying. Why don't you send them all a message giving them proper dieting tips, according to their bodies, seeing as you clearly know everything.

These posts are so annoying. Why don't you just choose not to read "these threads" if they annoy you so much?
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i love it when people who haven't had a lot of weight to lose, nor had life events that cause weight gain, come around and make up these threads that try and call others out and dictate to them what they do wrong and why they are fat.
    full of win!

I didn't see this any where in the thread. The fact is that there is no ONE RIGHT WAY to build lean mass and lose excess body fat (though it's very difficult to do both without the aid of performance enhancing agents). This is why those who are interested in building lean mass bulk first (this does not mean get fat). They take on more calories for many months in order to facilitate growth. And when they feel they've made enough progress gaining mass they switch up their diet and cardio habits (or simply add cardio back to their routine) in order to MAINTAIN the lean mass they just worked so hard to gain while burning body fat.

So, unless a body adheres to these types of principles (that are simple biological facts - NOT MAGIC) then they are doing it WRONG. period...

If you want to see how I know this... LOOK HERE: http://voices.yahoo.com/photos/bikinimom-pursuing-strength-living-fit-6215496.html?cat=5 20+ years of experience and STILL LEARNING EVERY DAY!!!

aren't you the same person who said they are sporting a 13yr old picture?
    LOL
    think you missed the point there sporty
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    I don’t really read others diaries or complain about what they are doing but if I do decided to it will be to see why they are not succeeding and offer support or personal advice if they want any. I think if we all give more of a hand instead of our mouth it would be more of a beneficial site to others.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

So, on a diet one chooses carefully what they can and can't eat or drink, but in a lifestyle change they do, what? Eat and drink without thought? I doubt seriously that is the case, but if so, I'll take a diet every time.

I do limit what I can and can not eat or drink. Some things are limited to occasional use only. Some are thoughtfully added on a regular basis. Food, for me at least, can be friend or foe, depending on how I choose to control it.

No on a diet someone restricts what they eat or ramps up their exercise with the intent to stop doing those behaviors once they reach their goal. A diet is short term and not sustainable. Though I guess we all have a diet of food we eat, so perhaps it's semantics in the word choice? I actually really hate the term "lifestyle change" because I think it sounds pretentious, but I also don't thinking I'm dieting, I'm just living my life and using the tools of tracking my food and exercising to be healthier and thinner.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would love to see one of you guys post a success story showing what you really eat and do. It would be very inspirational for someone like me whose just starting out. I'm doing my best to not starve myself and eat right and it does make a big difference. I can't imagine going hungry if my body needs it. Either way, would love to see a success story by someone who eats lots and exercises too. :happy:

My diary is open; I work out 6 days/week, and eat around 1500 calories every day.... sometimes more. I'm never starving!

And I've lost 35 pounds since January :)

Here's the thing. Including your exercise, your net over the past 7 days that you logged (there were a few blank days in there) was 1382, 1245, 941, 1544, 1373, 868, 1254. This isn't the same to me as netting 1500 per day. I'm not trying to pick on you, I promise, because my nets over the past 7 days are probably very similar, since I tend to eat around 1500 per day also along with working out. The same is true of the other gal who posted that she ate 1900 calories. Her net is around 1400 or so per day due to her workouts.

I've noticed on a general basis that a lot of people who come into these threads and talk about how much they eat each day are neglecting to talk about their actual net, which in many cases ends up falling around 1200 or sometimes much less because they are working out a lot. I mean, look, if I burn 500 calories a day, I can eat 2000 calories and still lose a pound a week. But if I don't burn 500 calories a day, I better eat much less than that if I want to lose a pound a week. So much of this is tied into the activity level. A person who isn't exercising at all and is sedentary may need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. I really hate the across the board bashing of anyone who dares to try to eat 1200 calories a day around here. I couldn't do it, but if you can, more power to you. Until I started frequenting these boards i never heard that 1200 calories a day was EVIL.

I guess I just don't see how eating 1200 calories and not exercising at all is any different than eating 1800 calories and burning off 600 calories for a net of 1200, if both people feel good, are satiated, and meet their macros. You are still netting 1200 calories either way.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it doesn't have to come across that way--that's my point. I could always take a superior's advice as condescending but I choose to USE IT to benefit me.

Lol - I imagine people would first have to be convinced that you were their superior before deciding to use your advice! Many different people give a lot of different advice. A wise person isn't just going to randomly take any piece of advice - they need to know a bit about the credentials and experience of the person giving the advice, and preferably to know a bit about the person too.

I don't dispute this at all. However, I am well aware of who my superiors are in the field I've chosen.

Well, yes, you would be - generally the experts in a field make known their experience and credentials, and they form a reputation. But you can't really compare your willingness to listen to such people with the unwillingness of random internet people to listen to another random internet person on a fitness site full of forum drama.

If you really want people to listen to your advice and take you seriously, it's helpful for them to know a bit about you and your credentials and experience. That was the point being made, up there, when you were saying 'what the hell does it matter how much weight i've had to lose?' Wise, thinking people are going to ask questions about your own journey before they take what you say as gospel - if you reply with 'why the hell does it matter?' you look defensive and lose credential right there.
  • t1dude
    t1dude Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    >> How tall are you?

I am 5'11" and currently 187 lbs. Started at 205lbs.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The ones I can't take are the " I only ate 1000 calories every day this week....I worked out this morning doing xyz exercises for 2 hours. Then, I worked out that night for another two hours and am doing this 6 days a week and not losing."

That is not realistic......I read this and I cringe. I was sick when I was on 1250 calories a day trying to walk for 30 minutes/day three times per week. I don't understand how anyone that think this is sustainable or even realistic to keep up at this pace.

EVERYTHING...including exercise.....in moderation. I bumped up to 1700-1800 calories a day and feel great!
    Options
    it doesn't have to come across that way--that's my point. I could always take a superior's advice as condescending but I choose to USE IT to benefit me.

Lol - I imagine people would first have to be convinced that you were their superior before deciding to use your advice! Many different people give a lot of different advice. A wise person isn't just going to randomly take any piece of advice - they need to know a bit about the credentials and experience of the person giving the advice, and preferably to know a bit about the person too.

I don't dispute this at all. However, I am well aware of who my superiors are in the field I've chosen.

Well, yes, you would be - generally the experts in a field make known their experience and credentials, and they form a reputation. But you can't really compare your willingness to listen to such people with the unwillingness of random internet people to listen to another random internet person on a fitness site full of forum drama.

If you really want people to listen to your advice and take you seriously, it's helpful for them to know a bit about you and your credentials and experience. That was the point being made, up there, when you were saying 'what the hell does it matter how much weight i've had to lose?' Wise, thinking people are going to ask questions about your own journey before they take what you say as gospel - if you reply with 'why the hell does it matter?' you look defensive and lose credential right there.

I get you..the thread wasn't ever intended to be about people listening to ME though. It became that when someone brought up how much weigjt I haven't had to lose.
  • opuntia
    Options
    I get you..the thread wasn't ever intended to be about people listening to ME though. It became that when someone brought up how much weigjt I haven't had to lose.

Fair enough. I actually initially thought your thread was a parody of the 'tired of all the "fake dieters"' thread - but it did seem to quickly turn into something else!
    Options

Fair enough. I actually initially thought your thread was a parody of the 'tired of all the "fake dieters"' thread - but it did seem to quickly turn into something else!

And your initial thought was 1000% correct. That thread was transmitting a message that I think can further result in the unsustainable efforts to lose weight.
  • catwoman131
    Options
    Who cares what they do? Maybe we should just worry about what we do with ourselves...
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would love to see one of you guys post a success story showing what you really eat and do. It would be very inspirational for someone like me whose just starting out. I'm doing my best to not starve myself and eat right and it does make a big difference. I can't imagine going hungry if my body needs it. Either way, would love to see a success story by someone who eats lots and exercises too. :happy:

I weighed about 220 on a 5'2" frame. This was about a year ago. I did everything right and lost 35 pounds. When I say I did everything right, I cooked at home, didn't get those prepackaged meals full of preservatives. I thought about what I loved to eat and learned how to make those things without using heavy fats and using lean meats. I also measure my carbs out instead of just piling them on. The key was spices, fresh herbs, olive oil, ground turkey and a few other things.
    I also walked my neighborhood and I signed up for the gym. I made sure I paid for access to a gym with a pool which I had always said I didn't need since I was never really a swimmer. In my former skinny life I loved to scuba dive, though so I thought why shouldn't I have access to a pool??? I found that what got me to the gym was the pool. It was my time to be by myself and think through my day. It was my decompress time, not just my workout time.
    I also gave myself Sunday as a free day to eat and drink whatever I wanted. Let me also say that my husband is a fine-dining chef. This means free high-fat meals with lots of amazing wine and cocktails and let's not forget the hookups from his friends who own restaurants. I knew I wasn't going to give that up. That meant I had to have a free day or this would not work.
    By learning how to make myself the foods that I loved in a healthy way, and realizing some of the foods I love aren't really that bad; giving myself a free day and finding an exercise that relaxes me while at the same time energizes me, I lost weight.
    Yes, I have gained some back, we have had to move a couple of times recently and things happen, but I am back to my swimming and cooking. I have also added yoga and will be doing my first aqua zumba class tonight. I have learned that for me, exercise has to be fun otherwise I'm not interested. I live to eat rather than eat to live so that had to fit in with my weight loss goals. If you want to lose weight you have to know yourself and admit what will work and what won't. I can't imagine anyone having long term success otherwise.
  • opuntia
    Options
    And your initial thought was 1000% correct. That thread was transmitting a message that I think can further result in the unsustainable efforts to lose weight.

I definitely agree there. Although I got the feeling most people were taking that thread with a pinch of salt, and weren't going to change their eating habits as a result of some random person being tired of them!
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My thoughts---COMPASSION---people-including all of us judgmental people--are doing the best they can at the level they are at. If they could do better they would. Same goes for everyone wanting things to be different or the way they do it. Tolerance. I think we have enough problems living up to our own standards and not beating ourselves up that we can certainly understand that other people need to go through their obstacles and challenges at their own pace. Certainly because we have gone through it and moved forward, we should have the most compassion and send them love, patience and strength.I'm not sure what we gain (other than feeding out own egos) by bashing people who are different or at different stages. If it bothers anyone, they can tun their attention on to something that makes them feel good! :)
  • drthipah
    drthipah Posts: 23
    Options
    Cheers to that!
  • fattofit20
    Options
    If you are so tired of seeing people like this, you have a choice to not look at/ignore/delete/avoid them.
    Everyone learns what is good for them after a whole lot of trials and errors. Most people are at different stages of finding out what works for them.
    Please don't be judgemental of people that don't follow YOUR plan.

This^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.

The problem with the word DIET is that most people (it seems you may be in this category, I could be wrong. If I am, I do apologize) think this word means what they DON'T or CAN'T eat/drink (yes, what you drink affects your metabolism too!). That's what screws people up. Your diet is comprised of what YOU DO EAT/DRINK.

See, it's the four letter word F-O-O-D that screws people up. FOOD is not evil. FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND! :heart:

So, on a diet one chooses carefully what they can and can't eat or drink, but in a lifestyle change they do, what? Eat and drink without thought? I doubt seriously that is the case, but if so, I'll take a diet every time.

I do limit what I can and can not eat or drink. Some things are limited to occasional use only. Some are thoughtfully added on a regular basis. Food, for me at least, can be friend or foe, depending on how I choose to control it.

It think the comment was referring to the definition of the word diet.

Your diet is what you eat and drink. Period. When people think of "going on a diet," what they mean is, "going on a restricted diet." The definition of diet is what you eat and drink, regardless of quality or quantity.

Edit: As an example...

My dog's diet consists of dog food and water.
    My cat's diet includes cat food and water.
    My diet includes whatever I can fit into my 1800 calorie allotment while insuring that I eat enough protein and fiber.
    Options

I definitely agree there. Although I got the feeling most people were taking that thread with a pinch of salt, and weren't going to change their eating habits as a result of some random person being tired of them!

I guess the reason I care is not as much for the adults who are consciously choosing this way but for the young girls who are impressionable and desperate. I've seen the impact of girls in their early teens following the lead of women eating 1200 calories and exercising like crazy and it scares me to leave it unaddressed. Soooo many people don't know that they don't have to starve and if I can bring this point to light then why not? It's tough to help these people once they are so far along that they're afraid of eating more--food quickly becomes the enemy. I've been there sadly enough (a long time ago).