[
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kookie215
    Kookie215 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    AWWW thanks. you're a sweetheart. I can't believe that people 2x my size are eating 2/3 as much and claiming to be stuffed--It's completely antithetical to what I would view as a sustainable, healthy, and lifelong approach to weight management. Maybe these people really can eat 1200 calories forever, but I honestly doubt it. At some point I think MOST people snap and that's when the weight comes piling back on. I just wish people could be a bit more patient..take one meal at a time, one workout at a time, one day at a time until they reach goal and then continue doing the things that got them to the finish line.

I only eat around 1200 calories a day most days and honestly if fills me up when i started it didnt do **** for me and i spent hours and hours being hungry but now its actually really easy i only work out 30 minutes a day though so im not sure if all of this pertains to me or not but, and this is just me, i cant allow myself to eat more than that if i start eating when im not hungry just for eatings sake i'm going to be rite back where i started so if at the end of the day i dont reach 1200 calories i cant go stuff my face with cake thats just silly
    [/quote]
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    People are commenting on the fact that 1200 isn't enough... That's the amount that MFP set mine at. I do have a lot of weight to lose... 86lbs. I have been staying within the 1200 and haven't been hungry. Eating healthy foods, cooking, weighing every thing and the biggest change has been portion control.. Wow, It has been a wake up call on some of the foods I had been eating. I have also started a bit of walking...has been a problem since I have very bad knees, but I am taking it slow and going a little further each time. I would like some input on the 1200...

I started out with much to lose too. MFP has you at 1200 calories a day because you told them you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. If you truly are obese, that will work just fine for awhile, but eventually you do have to eat more. At a deep calorie deficit, you are depriving your body of nutrition, and over the long term, your body will react and cause things to happen to prevent weight loss. I started out eating 1600 cals a day and every 10 lbs I lost some calories. I eventually attempted to eat 1200 calories, but was constantly hungry and wasn't seeing sufficient progress. Now I eat around 2000 calories almost every day. Some days, I eat 2300 calories if I'm lifting.

When you start to stall, read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is very good at explaining all of this.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There is more than one definition of the word 'diet'. The broader meaning is about lifestyle, and actually literally means a way of life, although it is used solely with regard to food nowadays. The more narrow meaning is a prescribed course of restricted food intake.

Normally you can tell from context which meaning someone is using. For instance, 'I can't eat that - I'm on a diet!' tends to mean a person is restricting their food intake, whereas 'I try to eat a healthy balanced diet' tends to refer to the broader meaning of what one eats on a day to day basis.

I don't see the difference in your examples. But diet refers only to food, not to lifestyle, which would include many things beyond food.

Yep, as I said, its literal meaning is 'way of life', and it originally referred to entire lifestyle, but nowadays is used solely with relation to food. Words change meaning over time. If you check the OED, you'll see the etymology. But even in its modern meaning of solely food, the two meanings are different, as I was describing. A prescribed course of restricted food intake is different from a description of one's general food intake. I am not on a diet, as in I am not on a prescribed course of restricted food intake, but I do have a diet, in that I do eat! You yourself quoted 5 different dictionary definitions. They all mean something slightly different - that is why they are listed from 1 to 5, with different definitions. Number 3 is what I was referring to as the narrow meaning. Number 4 as the broader meaning. Number 1 is a broader meaning still.
    di·et [dahy-it] noun, verb, di·et·ed, di·et·ing, adjective
    noun
    1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
    2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
    3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
    4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

The OED also includes the original meaning:

1. Course of life: way of living or thinking.
    2. esp. Customary course of living as to food: way of feeding.
    3. Prescribed course of food, restricted in kind or limited in quantity, esp. for medical or penal reasons; regimen.

It has 7 different meanings, but I won't cite them all, as most aren't used nowadays. People tend to use meaning 2 when they are talking about any general food intake, and meaning 3 when they are talking about a particular restricted food intake. You wouldn't say 'I'm on a diet' to mean 'I'm on a customary course of living as to food'. You'd mean you were on a prescribed course of food.
  • mindirella
    Options
    I use this site to keep me accountable and remind me that what I take in adds up very quickly.

I took a 3 month hiatus from the site, and gained back 10 lbs.

I'm not here to eat like a rabbit and work out, I'm not made for that. I'm here to keep me in line and have a realistic guide in my life.

Love this site!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't say 'I'm on a diet' to mean 'I'm on a customary course of living as to food'. You'd mean you were on a prescribed course of food.

Actually, I would use "I'm on a diet" to mean "I'm on a customary course of living as to food". I've been on a diet since jr. high school when I first started caring what I looked like. There is no prescribed course of food, just me limiting food as part of my customary course of living. Dieting is how I avoided obesity.

We can argue semantics all day but I'll still be on a diet at the end of that day. And if you are restricting calories or anything else, you will be also.
  • opuntia
    Options
    You wouldn't say 'I'm on a diet' to mean 'I'm on a customary course of living as to food'. You'd mean you were on a prescribed course of food.

Actually, I would use "I'm on a diet" to mean "I'm on a customary course of living as to food". I've been on a diet since jr. high school when I first started caring what I looked like. There is no prescribed course of food, just me limiting food as part of my customary course of living.

That is not what 'customary course of living as to food' means though. You mean your particular course of food, rather than simply the fact that you eat food as part of your life. Your diet is prescribed, because your decision to limit it is your own prescription. In which case the other meaning applies - you are on a prescribed course of food, restricted in kind or limited in quantity. Whether or not it's temporary or lifelong is not part of the meaning. The distinction is about a broad meaning of diet as applied to everyone, or a narrow meaning of a specific diet for one person.

Of course, in theory, anyone could say 'I am on a diet', using the broader meaning to indicate that they eat food as part of their way of living. But it becomes meaningless, because that is not how society uses that expression, so you'd get misunderstood. It is usage that defines a word,. Most people use language in order to communicate. In practical terms, you'd only have to announce your diet if you were attending some function that involved eating - if people were offering you more than you want, you could then say 'I'm on a diet, so I won't have any more'. If you had an allergy to a specific type of food, you wouldn't say 'Sorry, I'm on a diet, I can't eat that'. You could argue that saying it would be literally true, but functionally it wouldn't make sense to say it - it would make more sense to say 'I'm allergic, so I can't eat that.'
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I wish some girl who wasn't 23 years old and only has 4 pounds to lose would not be so critical and judgmental of other people.

Do you think that she got that way "by accident" or "due to good genes"? She is ticked off (as I used to be 10 years ago until I got tired of banging my head against the wall for no good reason) because of all the people who are misinformed thinking that what they are doing is a good thing and those who are blatantly fibbing, whether it is the people who YOU KNOW aren't logging accurately due to lack of progress or those who live on 1200 calories a day, are otherwise healthy and who claim to be full.

It's frustrating to see people making the same mistakes and proliferating the same MISinformation over and over and over again.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.

The problem with the word DIET is that most people (it seems you may be in this category, I could be wrong. If I am, I do apologize) think this word means what they DON'T or CAN'T eat/drink (yes, what you drink affects your metabolism too!). That's what screws people up. Your diet is comprised of what YOU DO EAT/DRINK.

See, it's the four letter word F-O-O-D that screws people up. FOOD is not evil. FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND! :heart:

So, on a diet one chooses carefully what they can and can't eat or drink, but in a lifestyle change they do, what? Eat and drink without thought? I doubt seriously that is the case, but if so, I'll take a diet every time.

I do limit what I can and can not eat or drink. Some things are limited to occasional use only. Some are thoughtfully added on a regular basis. Food, for me at least, can be friend or foe, depending on how I choose to control it.

It think the comment was referring to the definition of the word diet.

Your diet is what you eat and drink. Period. When people think of "going on a diet," what they mean is, "going on a restricted diet." The definition of diet is what you eat and drink, regardless of quality or quantity.

Edit: As an example...

My dog's diet consists of dog food and water.
    My cat's diet includes cat food and water.
    My diet includes whatever I can fit into my 1800 calorie allotment while insuring that I eat enough protein and fiber.

Exactly!

My initial assessment of the poster that I'd quoted was spot on. If only more people would understand that your diet is not about restriction and limitation. It is all about what YOU DO EAT AND DRINK. smh

BTW - I NEVER diet... EVER. I gave that crap up when I FINALLY figured it out. I suppose my pictures demonstrate that I sorta figured it out? just maybe?
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    AMEN SISTER! THANK YOU FOR SAYING EXACTLY WHAT I'M THINKING!

People on here seem to pride themselves on eating as few of calories as possible, while exercising 3 hours a day and somehow that makes them the real deal....How long is that going to be sustainable?! How long until you're yoyo dieting again?? I hate the word "diet"...I do not diet. I choose to live a healthy lifestyle, meaning that this is not temporary for me and I'm not going to make myself miserable for the rest of my life fighting hunger and cravings. FOOD = FUEL, not the enemy. It is completely possible to live healthy, generally eating healthy and taking care of your body while STILL enjoying the foods you love.

I hope these "real dieters" that you speak of realize that they are just setting themselves up for a lifetime battle against food....and a healthy, sustainable lifestyle does NOT have to be that way!

You look fabulous in your pic by the way :)

AWWW thanks. you're a sweetheart. I can't believe that people 2x my size are eating 2/3 as much and claiming to be stuffed--It's completely antithetical to what I would view as a sustainable, healthy, and lifelong approach to weight management. Maybe these people really can eat 1200 calories forever, but I honestly doubt it. At some point I think MOST people snap and that's when the weight comes piling back on. I just wish people could be a bit more patient..take one meal at a time, one workout at a time, one day at a time until they reach goal and then continue doing the things that got them to the finish line.

Those folks that claim to be stuffed after eating less than 1200 cal are lying... to us and to themselves. I may not be twice your size, but I feel like I'm starving on 1200 cal/day and can rarely accomplish that. I think they're just trying to brag, like saying some ordinarily painful stimulus really doesn't hurt. Bull! And if it really is true for them, I envy that. I would love to be able to eat only what my body needs to survive in good health and think nothing more about it. But that isn't the case for me and my "diet" is whatever food is available that isn't processed in the portion sizes small enough to fit in the calorie limit that will result in weight loss. I am already in good health, but being overweight increases my risk of future health problems, and that means, probably, that I will never be able to just eat what I like that satisfies me without measuring and counting everything. That means I'll be "on a diet" for the rest of my life, really. That is the way of life I will have to choose in order to reduce my risks.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    i love it when people who haven't had a lot of weight to lose, nor had life events that cause weight gain, come around and make up these threads that try and call others out and dictate to them what they do wrong and why they are fat.
    full of win!

I didn't see this any where in the thread. The fact is that there is no ONE RIGHT WAY to build lean mass and lose excess body fat (though it's very difficult to do both without the aid of performance enhancing agents). This is why those who are interested in building lean mass bulk first (this does not mean get fat). They take on more calories for many months in order to facilitate growth. And when they feel they've made enough progress gaining mass they switch up their diet and cardio habits (or simply add cardio back to their routine) in order to MAINTAIN the lean mass they just worked so hard to gain while burning body fat.

So, unless a body adheres to these types of principles (that are simple biological facts - NOT MAGIC) then they are doing it WRONG. period...

If you want to see how I know this... LOOK HERE: http://voices.yahoo.com/photos/bikinimom-pursuing-strength-living-fit-6215496.html?cat=5 20+ years of experience and STILL LEARNING EVERY DAY!!!

aren't you the same person who said they are sporting a 13yr old picture?
    LOL
    think you missed the point there sporty

LOLOLOL in my current pics (which are also on my homepage) I still have the same mass just am a lot smoother. In the avatar (which I put up for my own personal motivation and from which I am about 6 - 8 weeks away) I am about 14-15% bodyfat. I am currently about 22% - SIZE TWO. I am also about to turn 45 and have had four children.

So "Sporty" you should never assume... as you may just make an *kitten* of yourself. But thanks for stopping by! :heart:
  • opuntia
    Options
    Do you think that she got that way "by accident" or "due to good genes"?

To be fair, we have no way of knowing that, as she said it was none of our business how much she had to lose. When I was 23, I ate whatever I wanted, and never gained weight. I weighed 110 lb. In my case, it was totally 'by accident', and I'm sure my genes played a part. Other people ate the same as me and were fat.
  • npaverico
    Options
    I sent you a request. I hope you will accept. Mine is set for 1200 calories a day, but that is what this thing set it as. I will be honest that I am a novice when it comes to this stuff and upon reading and reading articles and experts, after a while it all start to contradict each other. I have a complex schedule with working and kids and I am trying to figure out what better choices I need to make. I am looking for friend to share experiences and to educated myself what the average girl does.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I agree. I just started MFP 5 weeks ago and have lost 17 lbs on 1800 cal/day. I have totally NOT deprived myself. I have eaten BBQ, Tex Mex, cookies, and lots of other "non-diet" foods. The biggest thing I realized about my diet after using MFP is what kinds of foods have lots of calories and how to limit portion size when I want some of those items. I also learned that when I over indulge, I need to exercise to counter-balance the calories. Lastly, I learned that MFP was teaching me a sustainable lifestyle and not how to diet.

how tall are you???

I ate just under 1900 calories today and I'm 5'2 (120lbs). Being short doesn't have to mean eating tiny amounts.

Agree. I am 4'11 and eat 1300 calories a day, sometimes just a little more and still lose.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    AMEN SISTER! THANK YOU FOR SAYING EXACTLY WHAT I'M THINKING!

People on here seem to pride themselves on eating as few of calories as possible, while exercising 3 hours a day and somehow that makes them the real deal....How long is that going to be sustainable?! How long until you're yoyo dieting again?? I hate the word "diet"...I do not diet. I choose to live a healthy lifestyle, meaning that this is not temporary for me and I'm not going to make myself miserable for the rest of my life fighting hunger and cravings. FOOD = FUEL, not the enemy. It is completely possible to live healthy, generally eating healthy and taking care of your body while STILL enjoying the foods you love.

I hope these "real dieters" that you speak of realize that they are just setting themselves up for a lifetime battle against food....and a healthy, sustainable lifestyle does NOT have to be that way!

You look fabulous in your pic by the way :)

Those folks that claim to be stuffed after eating less than 1200 cal are lying... to us and to themselves. I may not be twice your size, but I feel like I'm starving on 1200 cal/day and can rarely accomplish that. I think they're just trying to brag, like saying some ordinarily painful stimulus really doesn't hurt. Bull! And if it really is true for them, I envy that. I would love to be able to eat only what my body needs to survive in good health and think nothing more about it. But that isn't the case for me and my "diet" is whatever food is available that isn't processed in the portion sizes small enough to fit in the calorie limit that will result in weight loss. I am already in good health, but being overweight increases my risk of future health problems, and that means, probably, that I will never be able to just eat what I like that satisfies me without measuring and counting everything. That means I'll be "on a diet" for the rest of my life, really. That is the way of life I will have to choose in order to reduce my risks.

You hit the nail on the head to a great extent. A woman my height and weight (we won't talk BMI because that isn't totally relevant to the discussion) requires about 2100 calories in order "for my body to survive in good health" as you put it. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR AN ADULT FEMALE OF ANY AGE TO SURVIVE ON 1200 CALORIES AND SURVIVE IN GOOD HEALTH!!! How is it then that I can be 130# and be a tight-fitting size 2? Because I am still fairly well-muscled. Muscle is dense. So it is far more compact but weighs A LOT MORE than fat. Fat weighs relatively little but takes up a lot of space. Just think of a five pound bag of feathers as opposed to a five pound page of lead. Which bag do you think will be bigger? Well muscle vs fat works exactly the same way.

You should truly stop thinking of the word "diet" as something restricting and what you can't have and focus instead of what you CAN have if you WANT to attain and maintain proper health, fitness and wellness. This minor shift in thinking will cause you to move light years ahead with these goals. I promise you.

Example: If you would like to see what my diet consists of please click on my food journal. :smile:
  • ThatMrs99
    Options
    Funny I am reading this while eating another salmon patty because I was still hungry. Great post. Food does = ENERGY :)
  • opuntia
    Options
    Those folks that claim to be stuffed after eating less than 1200 cal are lying... to us and to themselves.

How can you claim with such confidence to know what is in everyone's mind, and how everyone responds to food? That's like saying that anyone who claims not to *kitten* is lying. They may be the minority, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. Considering how different everyone is, surely it the likelihood that everyone conforms to a certain pattern is incredibly low.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Actually, I would use "I'm on a diet" to mean "I'm on a customary course of living as to food". I've been on a diet since jr. high school when I first started caring what I looked like. There is no prescribed course of food, just me limiting food as part of my customary course of living.

That is not what 'customary course of living as to food' means though. You mean your particular course of food, rather than simply the fact that you eat food as part of your life. Your diet is prescribed, because your decision to limit it is your own prescription. In which case the other meaning applies - you are on a prescribed course of food, restricted in kind or limited in quantity. Whether or not it's temporary or lifelong is not part of the meaning. The distinction is about a broad meaning of diet as applied to everyone, or a narrow meaning of a specific diet for one person.

Of course, in theory, anyone could say 'I am on a diet', using the broader meaning to indicate that they eat food as part of their way of living. But it becomes meaningless, because that is not how society uses that expression, so you'd get misunderstood. It is usage that defines a word,. Most people use language in order to communicate. In practical terms, you'd only have to announce your diet if you were attending some function that involved eating - if people were offering you more than you want, you could then say 'I'm on a diet, so I won't have any more'. If you had an allergy to a specific type of food, you wouldn't say 'Sorry, I'm on a diet, I can't eat that'. You could argue that saying it would be literally true, but functionally it wouldn't make sense to say it - it would make more sense to say 'I'm allergic, so I can't eat that.'

You seem to be talking in circles but saying the same thing I said.

Example: Because I make healthy choices most of the time I am often asked if I'm on a diet. My answer is "always". And I mean it exactly the way people think I mean it.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    Do you think that she got that way "by accident" or "due to good genes"?

To be fair, we have no way of knowing that, as she said it was none of our business how much she had to lose. When I was 23, I ate whatever I wanted, and never gained weight. I weighed 110 lb. In my case, it was totally 'by accident', and I'm sure my genes played a part. Other people ate the same as me and were fat.

Did you see how well-muscled she is? As a former competitive body builder I can tell you THAT didn't happen "by accident" or "due to her genes", especially not by age 23. It took me over 10 years to earn the mass you see in my avatar and this is because I was so concerned with getting fat that though I went to the gym and worked out regularly, I never allowed myself to eat enough...

A muscular body is no accident. It takes years of hard work and very conscious, dedicated effort to intelligent eating.