Inappropriate work attire...*shudder*

Options

Replies

• JulieRoselovesFreeze
    Options
    I work at a law firm and my boss wears one of two Eddie Bauer fleece vests to work every single day. Yes, even in the summer while complaining about being hot. The only time he dresses up is for court; then changes back into his vest when court is over.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, OP. Big boobs distract me all the time, too.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I worked with a woman rounding in on 60 and she'd just lost tons of weight due to gastric bypass surgery. Well, she also gained a little back but was still wearing her "I just lost lots of weight" clothes.

Me: "uhh, your shirt is gapping open and I can see your boobs."

her: "well, let me know if you see something you've never seen before."

le'sigh. Just be glad you know how to present yourself well :)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who showed up to work in just a sock...

That's my goal weight outfit! Bastid stole my idea...
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Human Resources - Because there are grown adults who still feel the need to run to mommy and daddy when they don't like something.

truth.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If you feel like it would be effecting your company's sales, then yes. Otherwise no. I'm sure if HR cared they would have already said something
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm the only woman in an office of men but we've had a woman coming around as a guest-employee recently. She doesn't dress terribly but she always wears rubber flip flops and it drives me bonkers. Thong sandals are great for the beach or other casual settings, but not at the office. And she also will kick them off and walk around the office barefoot. Wtf.

I mean, it's gross. But I'm not going to tattle on her because then I become the office snitch. If it's that big of a problem HR will probably notice and take care of it, KWIM? Also I'm kind of a terrible person in that if someone is going to make an *kitten* of themselves at the office - who am I to stop them. Let them look like a dill hole. Looks bad on them, not you.

Barefoot???!! Ew! Either someone will notice it and point out that shoes are generally a good idea or she will step on a staple or something....
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Human Resources - Because there are grown adults who still feel the need to run to mommy and daddy when they don't like something.

Awesome
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Just tell her to get a tattoo right above her cleavage. Once she does that, it's self-expression, and allowed.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    LOL, I had to check to see if you were someone that works with me.
    There is a 50ish woman in my office who does the same thing!! Get a camisole on under that thing for petes sake!!! Total visible bra, plain as day....honestly!!! I as SOOOOO close to saying something yesterday but I figured it wasn't my place.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's threads like this that make me feel like I'm wound a lot less tightly than I sometimes think.

Thanks for making us type-a controlling people look a bit more normal.

*sheesh*
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to do....nothing.

THIS!

Why don't you worry about yourself and keep your opinions to yourself. You may have a conservative approach to life but if no one else is discussing this with her then clearly the office has an accepted liberal approach and YOU are the outcast.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm the only woman in an office of men but we've had a woman coming around as a guest-employee recently. She doesn't dress terribly but she always wears rubber flip flops and it drives me bonkers. Thong sandals are great for the beach or other casual settings, but not at the office. And she also will kick them off and walk around the office barefoot. Wtf.

I mean, it's gross. But I'm not going to tattle on her because then I become the office snitch. If it's that big of a problem HR will probably notice and take care of it, KWIM? Also I'm kind of a terrible person in that if someone is going to make an *kitten* of themselves at the office - who am I to stop them. Let them look like a dill hole. Looks bad on them, not you.

Barefoot???!! Ew! Either someone will notice it and point out that shoes are generally a good idea or she will step on a staple or something....

I'd wear fluffy pajamas and slippers in the office if I could get away with it. :wink:
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    So...there's a lady at work...she annoys me a little in the first place, but she's nice enough.

She's 50ish...probalby mid 50's. She (twice now) wears this sweater...it is low cut, first of all...and has a VERY open weave pattern at the top.

I do not want to seem mean...but honestly the sweater is borderline inappropriate. It shows off a large amount of cleavage...and then the weave pattern...I mean I can see what color bra she has on. And I do mean it reveals the entire bra...you can see more than I think is appropriate ouside the home let alone at the work place.

Anyone else get in this situation?I feel like I can't look in that direction...it's so awkward.

*edited because...:I should preface that this is a medical environment...not casual...even if it was....*

PS: not looking for advice on what to do about it...more seeing if anyone else has been in a simliar situation. THanks.

You started by saying that she already annoys you so it sounds like you are just looking for something to b!tch about with her.

Why does her age matter? Would you not feel awkward if she was a smoking hot 25 year old with great cleavage? Would that be okay?

Based on your account of what the sweater looks like I'd say you've looked "in that direction" quite a number of times.

Sounds to me like you have nothing better to do than judge other people. Stop gawking and get back to work.
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Cop a feel?
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It's threads like this that make me feel like I'm wound a lot less tightly than I sometimes think.

Thanks for making us type-a controlling people look a bit more normal.

*sheesh*

Agreed. But this is really a political argument over morals and decency than it is about the productivity of the workplace so whether this woman is fully clothed head to toe or naked it sounds like the business would still thrive and it only bothers the OP.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My advice?

1. Don't look.

2. Be very, very careful. I have a coworker who tells me I dress like a hooker. It makes for a very uncomfortable work environment. My clothing choices are not her business but, more important, I do not dress like a hooker.

We both work in the office of the chairman of surgery. She comes in wearing khaki pants and shapeless, blinged out t-shirts with canvas shoes from k-mart. Some days she switches it up and wears Crocs.

I come in wearing skorts and a tank top. Over that I layer a button up shirt or a cardigan sweater. Sometimes both. If the weather is cooler, I add tights. Unfortunately, I often wear running shoes due to tendon surgery on my ankle.

Now, I confess my boobs are quite large. I do not flash cleavage but I also do not try to hide them under shapeless clothes. (Shapeless clothes make me look fatter!) My skorts go halfway down my thigh so my *kitten* is covered. I'm not sure where she see my clothes as hooker-ish. Or who she is to talk since she looks like a factory worker rather than a professional office worker.

To each their own. Don't get involved. Leave it up to bosses or HR to make a decision.
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    As a manager, who has the joy of having to remind the office every summer of what is appropriate in our office (which amazingly does not always seem to get through to people!)... I actually think it important to either casually pull her aside and mention it or let her manager know.

It's not about policing whether or not their fashion choices are good or not, it's about appropriate attire. Being able to fully see someone's bra through their sweater is not appropriate, unless you work in a bar, club or other type of environment.
  • dkkwilson
    dkkwilson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Casually comment that you couldn't help noticing her bra and ask here where she got it.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    So...there's a lady at work...she annoys me a little in the first place, but she's nice enough.

She's 50ish...probalby mid 50's. She (twice now) wears this sweater...it is low cut, first of all...and has a VERY open weave pattern at the top.

I do not want to seem mean...but honestly the sweater is borderline inappropriate. It shows off a large amount of cleavage...and then the weave pattern...I mean I can see what color bra she has on. And I do mean it reveals the entire bra...you can see more than I think is appropriate ouside the home let alone at the work place.

Anyone else get in this situation?I feel like I can't look in that direction...it's so awkward.

*edited because...:I should preface that this is a medical environment...not casual...even if it was....*

PS: not looking for advice on what to do about it...more seeing if anyone else has been in a simliar situation. THanks.

You started by saying that she already annoys you so it sounds like you are just looking for something to ***** about with her.

Why does her age matter? Would you not feel awkward if she was a smoking hot 25 year old with great cleavage? Would that be okay?

Based on your account of what the sweater looks like I'd say you've looked "in that direction" quite a number of times.

Sounds to me like you have nothing better to do than judge other people. Stop gawking and get back to work.
    Marry me, please.