WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I have been so busy the last few days. the boss just got back from a 2 week vacation so things are really hectic. I have been doing well and I am slowly but steadily losing those pounds that crept back on.

Today DH is doing his colonoscopy prep. I feel for him. (he put off the procedure for 4 years so I am proud of him that he finally gave in to go get it done.) I don't have to work tomorrow so I can drive him to and from the docs.

No real plans for our Labor day but we do have a weekend getaway to Tillamook Bay the weekend after. I am looking forward to that. We made progress on the dog house last weekend and it will be done this weekend. Just a few little touches left. I will post a pic.

Take care my dear friends and have a wonderful Wednesday.

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You ladies sure do offer one another a lot of inspiration and support.

Are you accepting any new members?
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Women age 50plus? now that caught my attentioni! Experienced women with mature goals - may be just what I need to keep me motivated:wink: But I have never really participated on a message board before, am totally new to MFP and am not sure if I will ever find my way back to this conversation. But as I embark on the next stage of my journey, let's give it a try!

This caught my eye too I'm 53 and get discouraged easily. I like the expression 'experienced women with matur goals.
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So happy to find this 50+ board although I am not sure where I find Part 1 & 2.

I am 51 years old, married 25 years, 3 kids, the youngest just headed off to college. I work full time and have been trying to lose weight, well....FOREVER. I have managed to lose and keep off 20 lbs (I lost 25 but gained back 5!) but I need to lose about 50 more!!!!!!

Glad to be here!
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    it takes TIME to develop new habits, and you need to be patient with yourself. just make a gentle start~ like one thing, and add to it gradually. you've done it before, you CAN do it again! we will try to support you on your journey. welcome!

i'm 58, and recovering from a bad fall. dealing with severe arthritis, and currently in physical therapy. i didn't realize i was so OUT of shape until they started working me over~ it's a long, slow process, but i believe there will be victory in the end!

take GOOD CARE of yourself~ you're WORTH IT! :flowerforyou:

janie
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! My gosh it has been a long time for me to post but as I look back on this past year I realize that I have just been getting by. Not really focused; just getting through each day. However, I seem to be turning a corner and the path in front of me seems a little brighter. So here I am! I want to be stronger and happier! I want to look forward to each day and take each day by the horns and enjoy it. Seems doable right?
    Right now I exercise each day. I try to keep my activities full. I didnt realize how much I was sitting. I sit at the office all day so I really had to get pumping at the house! I love dvds; Just Dance; Tae Boe, Jillian, Salsa, Zumba, etc. you name it and I will do it. I was walking on a daily basis but broke two toes six weeks ago. I can wear a shoe again (tennis shoe) but now it is so hot I will have to wait.
    Have a great week everyone!
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    welcome! you will find a lot of friends AND support here! take good CARE of yourself~ you ARE WORTH IT!! :smile:

janie
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that I have not forgotten you! it is just a real trying time for me right now and I havn't gotten much time to type. am sill walking the dog and parking far away and walking into work, also try to walk on my lunch brake.

hope all of you are doing well and getting fit. I have drank so much water that I think I will float away. LOL
    have a great day and I will try and check in soon
    rp
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi ,

Just checking in so I will be directed to the new posts. I will be back tonight after work!

Log ,drink and exercise! Read or write on this site everyday!

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday!:flowerforyou:

Linda-SundanceB
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My favorite Zumba teacher is subbing somewhere tonight so I am off shortly to "join the party". He makes me sweat more than any other instructor.

Found out my neighbor has a bike too so planning some rides with her.

DeeDee - thanks! I changed my ticker to show my weight loss to remind me of just how far I have come. I did have WLS 10 years ago, but it was not the easy way out. And keeping the weight off for all this time is a challenge. So glad to have done it though. I was hoping to be down to my original goal by my surgery anniversary. Hum - 6 lbs in 12 days... it can be done, but not the way I've been going lately.

So anyhow, we keep plugging along.

May stop back after class.

Welcome to all the newbies!

Gini
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe for Chile Relleno Casserole. I guess the web address I gave didn't work for everyone. I have a few estra minutes today so I thought I'd write it out.

I'd imagine you could make this using canned Roasted Whole Green Chiles that you'll find in the Mexican foods section.

CHILE RELLENO CASSEROLE WITH SAUCE

Makes 8 servings, approx 200 - 250 cals each, depending on amount of oil.

Ingredients for casserole:

5 eggs, separated
    1/2 t. salt (or less)
    1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper
    8 - 10 Poblano, NuMex or Anaheim chiles, roasted, seeded, peeled and stemmed
    3 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese

Ingredients for the sauce:

3 T olive oil, divided (I used 3 teaspoons)
    1/4 c diced onion
    1 glove garlic, minced
    3 large ripe tomatoes, cored and rough chopped
    3 T minced fresh cilantro leaves
    2 bay leaves
    Salt (optional)

To make the casserole: Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl beat egg yolks until light in color. Stir in salt and pepper. Fold egg yolks into whites. Remove stems from chiles and slice in half lengthwise. In a lightly oiled 9x13 casserole dish, spread 1/3 the egg mixture to cover bottom of dish. Layer half of the chiles on top of egg. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Layer remaining chiles and cheese and top with the rest of the egg mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until the egg is set.

To make sauce: Heat 1/3 of the oil in a medium skillet and add the onion. Sautee 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 more seconds. Scrape the onion mixture into food processor bowl and add tomatoes. Puree until smooth. Pour back into skillet and add remaining oil, cilantro and bay leaves. Brilg to boil and cook for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt if desired and discard bay leaves.

Cut casserole into 8 squares and serve with sauce. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

Enjoy!

:wink: jb
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Evening to all,

I have not posted for a few days and noted the group has grown leaps and bounds! I Welcome to all and I apologize for not posting individual responses.

I am still adjusting to work and the schedule. I made the mistake yesterday of not eating enough at work and coming home hungry. I did not exercise and overate. Despite my plan and good intentions I succumbed to indulgence. I was even full but kept eating probably due to stress. I got back on track today with eating and went to my Jazzercise class. I am having trouble with the water intake also. The other issue I have right now is my menopause battle. I am having major sleep interruptions due to night sweats and frequent urination. Hot flashes I have become used to but the night sweats are awful. This change of life is not a fun time right now! LOL.

Wishing the best to all....Keep on being true to yourself.

Carolyn
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It has been a few days since I posted and I have not been very well behaved...not horrible but I am staying away from the scale!

Dh and I spent a nice weekend with friends on buzzards bay (eastern side of cape cod)..they have a nice home there but I always eat too much...the weekend truly revolves around food but much of it is seafood or vegetables. I was awake early on Saturday am so I did go for a brisk hour long walk.:smile: ..

Last night my sister and I played tennis with one of the brothers...the other one was a no-show..we were terrible but had a good time anyway...I actually had some nice shots at the net...but not enough to win...Bud (brother #2...there are four of them) will join us next week too as long as he is not traveling for work...fun and exercise...doesn't get any better than that:wink:

Have not heard from ds lately so sent him long note tonight...hopefully I will hear from him soon...dd had a quick message from him on Monday so at least I know he was ok then

The blue moon is at full strength in my office...our customers are coming in and spending waaay too much time with us!:noway: ! We did have one (who my coworker and I really like) come in today...she is a recent breast cancer survivor. She said some things to us that really made me think....truly enjoying and appreciating the beauty of nature around us...I know I often get caught up in the details of daily life and don't take the time to see what is really important and embrace it....after work I came home and walked around the flower garden and then sat for a few minutes and breathed...not a bad way to end the day:flowerforyou: .

Have a great evening..hugs and high fives as we continue the journey and prayers to those with challenges
    :heart:
    Jen
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: soup recipe for those who missed it
    Apple- squash soup

1 medium onion, diced
    1 winter squash or pumpkin(about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped (cut in half and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees for easier peeling and chopping)
    3 apples, cored and chopped
    1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    2½ cups water ( I used less water and made it very thick)

1. Put onion and squash in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken stock, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.

2. Add apples, cumin, , ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and the water (just enough to cover). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
    3. Puree in a food processor or serve it chunky which is the way I like it.

4. To serve, ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with diced apples, jalapeno slices, and sour cream or Parmesan if desired. (I didn't do any of this. It sounds good but will add calories)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!
    Welcome all newbies.I did end up getting tooth pulled.
    Started back with pt to strength the quads.Dr wants me to come in 2xs a week.
    Not sure if I posted this or not,been so stressful lately.Hubby lost job yesterday.Just when we thought things were picking up.
    Our landlady has been great and will work with us til hubby gets some income coming in.
    Have a good night.
    hugs
    jane
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies
    Just started a week ago...lost 1/2 lb...but having a hard time getting excercize in and trouble not drinking anything on the weekend when kicking back with my fiance..do u think 2 glasses of white wine is much?fill about 1/2 full?
    any ladies on here artists?? Need to loose 15 lbs and gosh it will take me so long....when I put my food in and excercise in ...it says I will be down 3 lbs in 5 weeks...seems along time??
    Last week to babysit my 9 month old grandson 3 days a week...and I can get to painting full time again and am so excited!!
    I will still come by and visit but nice to feel free to work on myself a bit!!
    U ladies are so inspirational!!
    I turn 59 Sept 1st
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Amanda – sorry to hear about your friend. One of my nieces had a BC diagnosis when her children were 5 and 2. She has come through it beautifully and is a bit over 3 years past her treatments. I will lift your friend and her caregivers up.

Carolyn – I hear ya sister on those night sweats! I had those then, but now have them day and night, followed by periods of freezing. Mine are related to the recent heart surgery. (A friend of my who had the surgery in 2008 still has them - yikes! I just try to get through them and consider how fortunate I am to be here and otherwise well.)

Jane - sorry to hear about the job loss for your husband. We went through a couple of years of that between my DH and myself a few years back. We also were blessed to have understanding people to assist us along the road during that time.

To all the new ladies (and I’m still one of them), this is such a good group of gals. Everyone is so positive and supportive. Whether you lurk, post a little or a lot, it is a good place to visit.

I've been able to get to the Y everyday after work this week and tonight walked a little over 3 miles. Their AC was out in that space, so it was quite steamy. Maybe some extra calories got burned!

Gail
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    School started today. I am really tired tonight, but I wanted to mark this spot. I guess the only way to do that is post something. Have a good rest of the week everyone.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good evening to all of you out there,
    Im making Barbie's Apple Squash soup right now and it smells just wonderful. I think I'll have it for lunch tomorrow. Did anyone calculate the calories by any chance (no use doubling the work if you've already done it).:bigsmile:

Jane, so sorry to hear about the hubby's job, I hope something will come along very quickly for you. I'm glad your landlady is understanding. I'm sure many on here will be sending prayers and positive energy your way.

Salmon is my new best friend. Actually it seems to be on sale everywhere right now so I am thoroughly enjoying that. I've also decided I have to have spinach or chard at least a couple of times a week - I need that iron quotient. I had a business lunch today and discovered that shrimp salad is a wonderful restaurant choice. I'm not sure dinner would be as easy, but I love salad lunches.

I've taken Nancy's advice, I'm going to plan my meals in advance and stick to them.

Had my second to final medical check up today (breast surgery a couple of months ago) and evidently I am healing extremely well (must be all that healthy food). Anyway, that motivates me to keep up with the healthy choices.

Going to sign off now, can't believe it is the end of August. Wishes to all for a pleasant evening and good rest.

Lila
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovely ladies--

Okay. So I've been on here for several months and I'm still puzzled by some of the initials you all are using such as: DH, DS etc. Is there a list anywhere to help me?

Weighed on Tuesday (official day) and no change :huh: Been eating well and exercising so not sure what's up.

I had set a goal of reaching 200 by Labor Day but it looks like I'm going to come up short--still 6.5# to go. But I'm not giving up. I'll just keep on keeping on.

:smile: Kathy--Congratulations on getting the pin out. Just don't overdo it.

:smile: Cathy-- Welcome to the group. You'll find a lot of support here. I don't know if this will help but I once heard a comedian, Pasty Clairmont, say she refuses to use the word "diet" instead she is on an "edit". Think about it. That's really what we are doing it editing what we eat. Sounds better too. :laugh: :laugh:

:smile: Barbie-- I see your soup recipe is there a way to save it on here?

Congratulations to everyone who had losses this week.

Praying for all of you who are having challenges.

Keep drinking your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Have a great night and a good Thursday.

Micki