Don't Judge but 30/M going from 1200 to 1500 - Nervous

Options

Replies

• kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Can you "weight lift" the kids? The pets? Moving furniture around when you are vaccuming is exercise. Take the kids running, or roller skating or to play soccer, basketball, baseball, ice hockey?
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I think I just burned 1200 calories just reading 6 pages of this thread. Kinda interesting. I have my thoughts as probably many others do. Hmmm. Well done on the weight loss, good job. Nothing more to add than that really. You seem pretty secure in what you want to achieve and have argued your points well. I do think your goal weight is very low for a man, but you seem set in that so I wish you luck if achieving that weight will make you happy :-) oh and another thing. Take a chill pill. The world won't end if you take 30 minutes off to have a break/exercise/do something un-house work related. The dishes and laundry will still be there after you take a break. Everyone needs a little time to themselves. Don't be quite so tough on yourself maybe.

Yeah, I thought the comments would never stop! And I don't want to be rude and not respond to everyone's comments. Anyways, we all have our own ideas of what a man should look like, and while an Arnold from Terminator body would be great for some people (though he admitted to getting it with Steroids), I like the skinny with definition look. Some might say this look is a "feminine" look, but at least my body would give the same impression as my personality.

And yes, I do need to start being nicer to myself. Being an HSP isn't just about taking things too easily to heart; it's about having a harsh and brutal inner critic too. I've been abused more than you can imagine my entire life, but no matter how mean my peers were, or how strict my family was on me, or how unfair society has been to me; nothing can compare to the torture that I put myself through.

Thank you for your reply though and your kind words. And to show even more of my HSP flair I just wanted to say that I like your picture, I like that look on a woman. Anyways, headed to bed, just wanted to peak if anyone else replied.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Can you "weight lift" the kids? The pets? Moving furniture around when you are vaccuming is exercise. Take the kids running, or roller skating or to play soccer, basketball, baseball, ice hockey?

Not every American family comes from a genetic makeup that makes them naturally born athletes. My parents WANTED me to be athletic because that's the easiest way to get a scholarship, but I just didn't have the genetic makeup to make it work. Neither do my kids. But I'll be doing something exercisingly, just not yet. I'm just worried about the weight. I think you and I can agree that a man's purpose it to build muscle; and when you have extra fat in the way when you're trying to build muscle, it makes things tough. I'd rather start fresh and do it right. But thanks anyways for your concern/advice.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    and congratulations on your weight loss!
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    and congratulations on your weight loss!

Thank you :smile:
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever gave me my man card I got in the line for free cake twice and missed out.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    1st off, u are doing great! pat yourself on the back! 2nd, I can't tell you exactly what to expect because we are all different but I would reccomend you do go up those 300 calories but SLOWLY, maybe in 50-100 calorie increments? This week go up 50-100 then add more to that next week. At 1500 u won't pack on the pounds. Also, nothing is permanent. Give it a week or 10 days to allow your body to acclimate but if it isn't working for you, go back to what is working for you now. You know what is best for YOU and you are doing great so hang in there. I just have one cautionary thing for you to think about and mull over. When you consume less than 1200 calories you aren't just burning fat but also muscle. You really can't afford to lose muscle because when you do lose muscle, you don't get to choose which muscle. You can be losing heart muscle! So going to 1500 is not only going to give you more energy but strengthen your muscles...including your heart! It's a win-win. So if you do put on a couple pounds just remember that muscle weighs more than fat and you could be rebuilding muscles that may need some re-nourishment from the earlier phase of your diet. A good way to keep it all in check is to take measurements right before you up the calories and begin strength training. Using stuff around the house is a great idea to do that, by the way. Good idea.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think I'm getting soft in my old age bit I think you just need a big cuddle and a bit of more help round the house! You seem a sweet guy who's been through a lot of problems one way or another. Glad you havent had all the kind of replies I was expecting on this thread. Was pretty brave of you to post on the forums in the first place with your kind of personality. Take care x
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So, I know you are strapped for time, so please don't feel like you have to respond to this. I won't find it rude or offensive. I just wanted to point a couple things out.

First of all, I guarantee you that 1500 calories will still be a calorie deficit for you. No doubt in my mind. Therefore, you should not fear moving up to that amount. As has been said, you might see a TEMPORARY uptick in your weight, so give it a couple weeks before giving up on it.

Additionally, if you try something new in your nutritional plan and it doesn't work, who cares? All you do is adjust it again, until you find what works. You've already proven that you can lose the weight. So if you try something that ends up putting 10 pounds on, so what? You can lose it again. Think of it as a scientific experiment. Every new test you try gets you closer to the correct answer.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the increased calories results. Good luck to you.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You are 5'9 and want to be 135lbs, that seems extremely low for a man..
    Thats a BMI of 19, which is on the far low side of "normal"
    Im female and 5'5 and 135lbs is MY goal weight.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    First off, relax. I'm pretty sure you've gotten lots of good advice in this thread - people are not going to jump on you as a stay at home dad, etc. As someone who is a part-time home father for years (my wife travelled) - it can be incredible difficult to fit time for yourself in there. But having been there - it is a question of priorities - schedule it and do it, even if it is a short ride to the supermarket.

Congratulations on how far you have come.

Whatever you decide to try - each time give yourself 3-4 weeks of time to see how your body adjusts.

By eating way under - you've fasted fast and that works for a while but your body will adjust and it will require more effort until you eventually fail or achieve an ED. Your body will not let you starve. Bringing back the calories to a more reasonable deficit will likely create a yoyo-like effect in the first weeks - but I was surprised by how much easier it was to stay at a smaller deficit and how effective it was in the longer term. Especially as you approach objective.

Anyway, I see that you already have more than the best advice in this thread.
    But a question - Isn't 135lbs really too low?

You people rock!
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    You are 5'9 and want to be 135lbs, that seems extremely low for a man..
    Thats a BMI of 19, which is on the far low side of "normal"
    Im female and 5'5 and 135lbs is MY goal weight.

But that's a nonsensical statement. I'm 5'4" and currently weight about 115lb. I know to get my body fat to the level I want it I'll end up around 110lb. Still healthy, still acceptable BMI and for me and my frame easy to achieve (I mean achievable, it's not easy it's taken me 7 months to lose 8lb) - other people see someone slim and small, but I'm acutely aware of the jiggly bits that need toned and thei tight clothing that I'm determined not to grow out of. So to tell someone you've never seen and know nothing about that their goal is wrong based on what you want for yourself is utterly pointless surely?
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd like to agree with others on the thread about getting your kids involved with your exercise. If you can get them involved, even for as little as 20mins every few days it will be setting them up for a much healthier adulthood. I understand what you're saying about them being 'braniac' rather than athletic types but this shouldn't stop you. Go on a nature walk with them in a park getting them to try and identify the different bugs they find, or get them walking round doing a survey of car colours if you're in a built up area - try to take their minds of the fact they're going for a walk! This should also help with some of the social nervousness as they will have more focus. Just because you won't be burning hundreds of calories doesn't mean you won't be getting any benefit (and do log the walk on here to get an idea of how good for you it actually is!).
    You could always do what I saw a guy do at the olympics and do weightlifing reps with his son as the weight!

As a teacher I also feel the need to express concern that you're letting your kids stay up so late in the holidays. It's really important to try and get a well maintained sleeping pattern so they aren't having to readjust too much when they go back to school. Good sleep patterns are one of the most important contributors to successful learning! If they're being more active in the day then that will also help them sleep in the evenings.
    Hope I don't sound too pushy and feel free to ignore me if you want. I just hope that you manage to find a way of getting a better balance in your life :)
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hola!

Well done on the weight loss, that's some achievement! We all know how hard it is to lose it, but how easy it is to gain it back! It's a bugger.

I've had a quick look through your diary and the thing that stands out is, based on what I know from my own personal weight loss journey, and my from my nurtionist appointments is, you have been eating very little for your stats and there's a high chance you have been losing lean muscle, not just body fat. You don't want this. Your sugar levels are quite high too. Once we drop our calories, our bodies adjust to that lower number of cals.....which is why a lot of the time, people will keep slashing their calories when they don't get the results they need and the body will just shut down and store fat. All that happens though is your body just slows down and when you either return to your old ways of eating or, start eating a hell of a lot more (processed/binge eating), you are more prone to gaining weight but more importantly body fat.

I can relate to you being frightened and not wanting to gain the weight back but I think now is a great opportunity for you to change things which is why you've reached out and created this post in the first place. So well done!

Since you're male, you shouldn't be going anything under 1500 cals however based on your sats, if it was me, I'd be getting your calories up to whatever your BMR is as minimum. This is what you need for basic functions to work, say if you were lying in bed all day. You'll know this no doubt. You need to eat to fuel your body to get you through the day regardless of whether you're doing exercise or not. It sounds like you have a busy day doing everything that you do, so eat as much as you can, whilst still watching your weight as you can.

I read you don't belong to a gym which is fine, not all of us can afford it or are bothered about getting fit. It really depends on what your priorites are. If you want to do exercise then you need to choose to do it, and make the time with no excuses. There's ways to work around exercise for free if you do want to get fit.......even half an hour a day in the house doing lunges, planks, squats, dips, pushups and crunches will give you strength and definition. For fitness itself, we're talking cardio! Get the kids out for a walk around the park, do something fun. If you can afford to get a workout dvd then I would totally recommend Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, 3 x 20 mins workouts - it's absolutely brillant!! Exercise wise, if you start to do it, 50% of your workouts should be weight bearing. It has been found to help weight loss more, opposed to doing just doing cardio. Building more lean muscle allows your body to burn more efficiently and effectively.

Why is your goal 135lbs, if you don't mind me asking? That's far too low for you. You may not like what I am saying but it's true. That's what my goal is and I'm a 31 year old woman at 5ft5.

*ADVICE*

For the next 1-2 months do the following:

Increase your cals now. My advice to you is, once you increase your calories to your BMR at least, you will initially get a gain. This will subside in a week or so. Even in the case of an increase to 1500 cals which is what you want to do, yes, 300 calories isn't loads, but it depends on the person. It's huge to someone like you since you've been aiming at 1200 a day, yet hitting the 950 cals figure a lot. So to you, that's a 33% (or 25% when you hit 1200) increase.

The sooner you eat the correct amount of calories, the sooner you can sort your body out and improve your eating habits. I read some research that it takes around 21 days to break/form a new habit. You say you are a stay at home day who is also the maid, butler and cook so I wouldn't deem your activity level to be sedentary as you're going to be "on the go" a lot. Double check your BMR figures. Use this to calculate your BMR and TDEE: http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/determining-your-AMR. I would put you at Light Physical Activity based on what you have said as a minimum. For friends I have helped with weight loss advice, once they've worked out their TDEE using the link above, I always say, reduce this by 10-20% and stick to that calorie level each day. In your case, I would probably suggest a 10% decrease from your TDEE since you're not currently doing exercise.

As for your meals, I would recommend that you aim for 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Don't go any longer than 4 hours in between eating. Limit stimulants and eat as clean as you can and keep on with the good number of fluids you have each day.. for me as a rule of thumb to make things easier for myself, I aim for 1/2 my plate being veg with 1/4 protein and 1/4 complex carb. Change your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat too on MFP under "Goals".

I hope that has helped and, if I can help with anything else, give me a shout and lastly, good luck on your journey.

Sarah

First off, please be gentle with your responses. I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) and I don't like aggressive criticism.

Since July 23rd I've been at a 1200 calorie deficiency. Actually, I haven't hit 1200 calories since my diet started in April (but I started tracking my food in July). This has been pretty successful though since I lost 64 lbs and have dropped my body fat from 23% to 18% and my BMI from 28ish to 23ish. But now that I am in the "healthy" range for my height, I have been thinking about increasing my caloric intake and changing my macros (again). My biggest concern though is that I'm going to pack the lbs back.

For those curious to run my numbers, I am 30 years old, male, 5'8", and last weighed in at 155.8. My activity level is SEDENTARY because I am a stay at home dad and a homemaker. There really isn't time to do any exercises around the house because I am also the house maid, the cook, and the butler. Again don't judge, this is the lifestyle I chose after losing my job so if you don't like it STFU and keep your "man card" talk to yourself.

So when you run my numbers, you'll see that I have a daily rate of around 2050 calories burned and a BMR of 1,639 calories/day. By eating 1500, I'll still be at a deficient of 500 calories (which I see is recommended) but I'm still concerned that I will A) put on weight, B) Cost the family more money because of my increased strain on the family, C) Be forced to eat grains to fill calories (I'm Gluten Intolerant) , and D) Going to stop losing weight even though the deficiency is still there.

My goal is to be at 135 lbs, which puts me in the middle of the "healthy bmi" range. And when I get there, I was going to have egg white protein incorporated in my diet and start lifting heavy crap around the house (can't afford a $10/month gym membership; we are poor).

I dunno, 300 calories doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it's going to create an extra meal in my daily caloric intake and money is already tight trying to eat as it is. And I know some of you are going to say "A man that was at 1200 in the first place, that's stupid" but keep your ego out of this. I need someone to tell me what to expect when I increase my caloric intake and tell me how my body is going to respond to the extra food. Also, when I should I implement the increase? Make a 4th meal (like I plan) or increase my caloric intake each meal?
  • Cant0na
    Cant0na Posts: 34
    Options
    Makes perfect sense, to me! Not nonsensical at all.
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi,

first of all, I applaud you to be manly enough to take on the job of stay-at-home dad and housekeeper (and butler :)) - not sedentary at all, but I chose that level for the BMR as well, even though I run around all day being the one bringing home the bacon (or, I should say, the low-fat ham).

Okay, to your question: as you already know, nothing is written in stone, and you have a good grasp of tracking your food already. So just try it out. If you find you gain from an increased 300 cal intake, reduce it to 200. If you find you lose and end up losing too much (personally, I think 132 is really low for a man at 5'8, but I am sure you now what is best for you), add another 50 or 100 cal.

Congratulations on your loss - now you have the luxury of playing with your calories - so just listen to your body and adjust and tweak where and when you need to!!

Cheers
    Karin
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I think I'm getting soft in my old age bit I think you just need a big cuddle and a bit of more help round the house! You seem a sweet guy who's been through a lot of problems one way or another. Glad you havent had all the kind of replies I was expecting on this thread. Was pretty brave of you to post on the forums in the first place with your kind of personality. Take care x

Yeah I've been very fortunate with my replies, HSP's get bullied all the time but I think this audience is more mature than that so I knew it would be safe to be forward and take a risk. Thank you for the kind words :blushing:
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    So, I know you are strapped for time, so please don't feel like you have to respond to this. I won't find it rude or offensive. I just wanted to point a couple things out.

First of all, I guarantee you that 1500 calories will still be a calorie deficit for you. No doubt in my mind. Therefore, you should not fear moving up to that amount. As has been said, you might see a TEMPORARY uptick in your weight, so give it a couple weeks before giving up on it.

Additionally, if you try something new in your nutritional plan and it doesn't work, who cares? All you do is adjust it again, until you find what works. You've already proven that you can lose the weight. So if you try something that ends up putting 10 pounds on, so what? You can lose it again. Think of it as a scientific experiment. Every new test you try gets you closer to the correct answer.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the increased calories results. Good luck to you.

You have a lot of great points. Today I'm having a hard time eating the extra calories but I think it's because I am trying too hard to keep my macros balanced. I'll be on my way up to 1500 though soon. Just going to take some mental re-engineering. Thanks again for the reply.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Nobody ever gave me my man card I got in the line for free cake twice and missed out.

I'm not sure what this means but I've stood in line to get free cake before and was excluded before so I'm sorry this happened to you. Getting excluded is a pretty common thing for HSP's.....
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    1st off, u are doing great! pat yourself on the back! 2nd, I can't tell you exactly what to expect because we are all different but I would reccomend you do go up those 300 calories but SLOWLY, maybe in 50-100 calorie increments? This week go up 50-100 then add more to that next week. At 1500 u won't pack on the pounds. Also, nothing is permanent. Give it a week or 10 days to allow your body to acclimate but if it isn't working for you, go back to what is working for you now. You know what is best for YOU and you are doing great so hang in there. I just have one cautionary thing for you to think about and mull over. When you consume less than 1200 calories you aren't just burning fat but also muscle. You really can't afford to lose muscle because when you do lose muscle, you don't get to choose which muscle. You can be losing heart muscle! So going to 1500 is not only going to give you more energy but strengthen your muscles...including your heart! It's a win-win. So if you do put on a couple pounds just remember that muscle weighs more than fat and you could be rebuilding muscles that may need some re-nourishment from the earlier phase of your diet. A good way to keep it all in check is to take measurements right before you up the calories and begin strength training. Using stuff around the house is a great idea to do that, by the way. Good idea.

I am going to go to 1500 and maybe even my BMR. The problem is finding foods that I deem acceptable to eat at this point. Being gluten free, casein free, and sucrose free (but not fructose and glucose) is making this very hard to make choices since all the healthy foods are spread out over several supermarkets and I don't have that kind of time to shop around. But thank you very much for the idea of measuring; so far I haven't tracked anything and I wish I did. And I will be trying to lift some stuff around the house, I'm just concerned about my back since I have that Thoracic injury and the pec injury to work around. Thanks again.