Raw Milk Anyone?

Options

Replies

• Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh, but I am a baby cow- have you seen my food diary?!? I LOVE fat, and I love real fat....and I like bacteria. It's good for your guts.

Not all bacteria is.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If I was worried about it, I wouldn't drink it.
  • roguestates
    Options
    If I was worried about it, I wouldn't drink it.

Do whatever you want, as long as you don't sue the state or your doctor when you get sick.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    That would just be silly to sue the doctor or the state. They didn't jam it down my throat.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    There s of course another issue to consider when buying milk - economics.

Here in the UK there has been recent uproard regarding the amount of money paid to Dairy farmers for milk, in that the supermarkets want to pass cuts directly to the farmer. For example, a farmer gets 57pence for four pints of milk. The COST of production is 68 pence. The retail value is £1.18 giving the retalier a 37p mark-up once processing costs have been taken out.

The farmer loses money EVERY single time he milks a cow.

Therefore, in the same vein as 'buying local' for our fresh produce and meat etc. We should aim to cut out the middle man and give farmers more of their hard-earned cash.

Don't for a moment think that heating milk is all that happens to it during processing. Remember as a child skimming off the 'top of the milk' as a delicious creamy extra? gone through homogenization How else do you think we get 2% milk or 1%? It used to be skimmed and semi-skimmed - the categories had varying fat contents within a band.

Personally if I could get hold of raw milk I would. I like the taste, and I like to make yoghurt with it (which incidentally heats it). Most of all I would like to support farmers into getting a fair price for their product, and get my foodstuffs from farms I believe in, rather than the big mix that goes into supermarket milk.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Yea...The farmers get raped when it comes to milk around here. My hometown is mainly dairy farmers and they don't make a lot of money. They would get a lot more money selling it on the "black market" then selling it to be sold in grocery stores.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    do you eat raw meat to?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    do you eat raw meat to?

Yes, I do.

Like I wrote above in the thread - raw has risks and they can be important, therefore it is important that you know your sources and markets - I would not drink black market raw milk but I will and have had raw pork (Germany), raw beef (Belgium and France) for the taste.

I've also eaten things that most people would not touch - but when you trek you do what you got to do.

Love raw meat, am not a fan of raw milk often. But I will not hide the risks or try to falsely minimize them as some of the people in this thread do. In either case, I do not eat this foods with higher risks as a main part of my diet.

I'm not against raw anything - just against the fake justifications being thrown out.
    Someone mentioned that "market economics" would have taken care of poor quality food without regulation? Laughable.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I like my steaks rare to medium rare. I like raw veggies and fruits ;)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    sushi is raw....how often do people die from that? I think to each their own. It's not like I'm eating a live rabbit or chicken. It's just raw milk.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    mmmmm. rare steak.......pink lamb........sashimi........scallops straight from the shell on the boat five minutes after bringing them up......

yum.

still alive and kicking. Never had food poisoning.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ^Marry me
    Ok.
    Deal ;)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be a government brainwashed sheeple on this one and use pasteurized dairy products. I cook meat before I eat it, so have my milk heated before I drink it hardly seems like some dangerous conspiracy to me.

And this has never been a country where you are free to do whatever you want. Ever. That has never been the definition of what a free society means. Laws and taxes, anyone?

Actually there was a time when the government did NOT regulate food and drugs. And we got along splendidly.

Yeah, life was so great way back then. Back when life expectancy was a good two decades lower, thanks to so many young people dying of infectious diseases. Now I can expect my kids to live into adulthood. Stupid government regulations.

Longer life expectancy more than likely came form medical advances, not advances in food safety. I mean, have you ever SEEN the back of an Arby's?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Longer life expectancy more than likely came form medical advances, not advances in food safety. I mean, have you ever SEEN the back of an Arby's?

No, this is quite wrong. The largest advances in life expectancy came from water quality, availability, personal hygiene, waste management and food safety - refrigeration, transport and management. Medicine is also a major factor but not the principal or sole factor. Discounting the other factors is silly, most people do not eat in the back of an Arby's.
  • kellyngnt
    Options
    I buy 'fresh' organic milk; met a farmer at our local markets and got chatting to them and now go straight to the farm to collect. It contains all the enzymes to properly digest milk and is a living whole food. I have an autisic child whom I treat with diet and he cant tolerate shop milk but can 'fresh' milk. Its is illegal in Australia but just get talking to the local farmers :)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The government has a duty to ensure what is sold to the public is safe. When the FDA, or it's equivalent in other countries, give food advice based on scientific research then that advice carries significant weight and is not issued lightly.

The advice may find its way into leglisation - like banning the sale of raw milk - but it doesn't prevent the consumption of same if that's what you want to do.

I like hiking and will drink water from mountain streams rather than carry it. I am sure the advice would be that there's a risk associated with this. i know that risk and decide on balance that it's acceptable because i dont want to carry an extra 3 kgs of water with me.

So the OP can drink raw milk if she wants - I just dont see the benefit other than it might taste better to her. I suppose it must. One poster was able to say raw milk tastes better than pasteurised milk even though they only ever drank raw milk.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be a government brainwashed sheeple on this one and use pasteurized dairy products. I cook meat before I eat it, so have my milk heated before I drink it hardly seems like some dangerous conspiracy to me.

And this has never been a country where you are free to do whatever you want. Ever. That has never been the definition of what a free society means. Laws and taxes, anyone?

Actually there was a time when the government did NOT regulate food and drugs. And we got along splendidly.

Yeah, life was so great way back then. Back when life expectancy was a good two decades lower, thanks to so many young people dying of infectious diseases. Now I can expect my kids to live into adulthood. Stupid government regulations.

If you love government so much, why don't you marry it?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The government has a duty to ensure what is sold to the public is safe. When the FDA, or it's equivalent in other countries, give food advice based on scientific research then that advice carries significant weight and is not issued lightly.

The advice may find its way into leglisation - like banning the sale of raw milk - but it doesn't prevent the consumption of same if that's what you want to do.

I like hiking and will drink water from mountain streams rather than carry it. I am sure the advice would be that there's a risk associated with this. i know that risk and decide on balance that it's acceptable because i dont want to carry an extra 3 kgs of water with me.

So the OP can drink raw milk if she wants - I just dont see the benefit other than it might taste better to her. I suppose it must. One poster was able to say raw milk tastes better than pasteurised milk even though they only ever drank raw milk.

WRONG!

The government has a duty to protect our God-given rights! They have NO business telling us what we can or can't put in our own bodies. They do not OWN us!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    sushi is raw....how often do people die from that? I think to each their own. It's not like I'm eating a live rabbit or chicken. It's just raw milk.

Yeah, the problem comes in when other people want to decide what you can put in your own body. They think they own you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So everyone who's eaten steak tartar or raw seafood should be dead too. If you doubt the source of your food so much then you shouldn't even eat it, raw or cooked.

Also risky to do. It's like Russian roulette. You might be fine, but there's a significant chance that you could come down with a life threatening disease that's completely preventable by eating fully cooked meat or pasteurized milk.

Anyway, it's rather odd that humans drink milk in the first place. We're the only species that does so past infancy.

LMFAO @ "playing Russian Roulette"
    OMG!