I GAVE Up PASTA... should I give up dairy too

Options
I gave up pasta a couple of weeks ago. I have been substituting cauliflower and zucchini. I can honestly say I really don't miss it. It's just filler after all. I am now considering the whole dairy option. I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet anyhow.... but I do like cheese. Is this another step I should take and are there things that I can substitute for the inevitable craving?

Replies

• dkp4469
    dkp4469 Posts: 19
    Options
    there is a pasta called dream fields I belielve? Doesnt have carbs? Depending on your age have to watch with the dairy, need your calcium, but can also get that from dark green leafy veggies. But there are alot of lowfat dairy options out there, lowfat yogurt, cottagecheese, fat free milk if your a milk drinker. I wouldnt give it up but thats just me. I like my dairy. I suppose it depends on what your goals are and what your trying to achieve??
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I be damn if I give anything I love!

Moderation = Success
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only reasons I can think of to give up dairy is if you're lactose intolerant or are morally opposed to the dairy industry.

I love cheese, and have chocolate milk just about every night at bedtime. :heart:

(Edit: DAIRY industry, not DIARY industry. :laugh: )
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Heck no!!
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spaghetti squash? I am totally addicted to it! I usually go through 2 squash a week by myself. Like you I love pasta and this is a great alternative. Plus 2 cups is only 84 calories!!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I use cheese as a good source of protein, personally. I don't see any reason to give it up if you're not looking to cut back on your fats.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta a couple of weeks ago. I have been substituting cauliflower and zucchini. I can honestly say I really don't miss it. It's just filler after all. I am now considering the whole dairy option. I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet anyhow.... but I do like cheese. Is this another step I should take and are there things that I can substitute for the inevitable craving?

I would give it up. too much fat.....don't want to get fat. Good call on the pasta too......Carbs are totally the problem.....well that and fat.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I gave up cow milk for almond milk so that I don't cramp and fart on people. Other than that? no.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    While pasta is delicious, it's not particularly nutrient dense. Dairy, on the other hand, has quite a few benefits. I stick to small portions of full-fat dairy, per my doctors recommendation. I was told that as vitamin D, for example, is fat soluble and necessary for calcium absorption, fat-free dairy isn't as useful in attaining nutrients. I have Celiac disease and when I was first gluten-free, it was important to make sure I was getting the nutrients my body had previously been unable to absorb.

I have always found it helpful to chat with a nutritionist or doctor about a food plan, especially before cutting out whole food groups.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

Moderation = Success

This X a bazillion
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

Moderation = Success

^this :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I would give it up. too much fat.....don't want to get fat. Good call on the pasta too......Carbs are totally the problem.....well that and fat.

And protein, I'd just drink water to be safe
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    there is a pasta called dream fields I belielve? Doesnt have carbs? Depending on your age have to watch with the dairy, need your calcium, but can also get that from dark green leafy veggies. But there are alot of lowfat dairy options out there, lowfat yogurt, cottagecheese, fat free milk if your a milk drinker. I wouldnt give it up but thats just me. I like my dairy. I suppose it depends on what your goals are and what your trying to achieve??

Dreamfields is low carb, not no carb. Here is a link to their webpage. It has less than half of the carbs of regular pasta.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/diabetes-diet.html
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you should give up water and doctors!
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.

Agreed
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Cheezly and Tofutti are good UK brands for vegan cheese. There's also Sheese. Google "vegan cheese" and there will be a company that makes one where you live. You definitely need to take fortified soya, almond, hazelnut or rice milk. I use Alpro Soya unsweetend because it's so low in calories and fat and contains the B vitamins, D and iron etc.

Edited to say you can gets loads of soya yogurts, desserts, cheesecakes, mayo and so on. It all contains protein.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why should you? If you like it and you already eat it in moderation, why make life more difficult? Cutting out food groups doesn't do anything for you unless you're allergic.
  • Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheese is loaded with fat. Milk to me is just disgusting now. I used to drink a lot of it, but since being enlightened about the dairy industry I cannot drink it anymore. It's loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pus, and fecal matter. Yes, it is pasteurized, but it is still just disgusting to me. After a human is weaned there is no need or place for milk in their diet. That's what weaning is - transitioning from a milk-based diet to a food-based diet. Cow's milk is only designed to nourish calves until they're able to graze - not humans. The "Got milk?" slogan should be changed to "Got obesity and diabetes?" It has no place in the human diet. Keep reading and learning - you may make a decision on this for reasons greater that giving up dairy as a weight loss tool.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Me go without cheese, oh hell no :noway: