I GAVE Up PASTA... should I give up dairy too

Options

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.

Agreed

You'd be amazed at what you don't miss when you don't eat it.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    THIS!!!:wink:
    I be damn if I give anything I love!

Moderation = Success
  • skinnyminnay
    Options
    Omg giving up pasta? You are the bravest woman I've ever heard of!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Are you mucous-y? If you are, I would do without it. If you eat it, I would stick with organic. Or try soy cheese. Its delicious and melts better than real cheese.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So tired of all these racists posts. You got a problem with Italians?

What next? You giving up fried chicken or grits or egg rolls or tacos?

Oh, think I misunderstood. Carry on . . .

:)
  • Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    While pasta is delicious, it's not particularly nutrient dense. Dairy, on the other hand, has quite a few benefits. I stick to small portions of full-fat dairy, per my doctors recommendation. I was told that as vitamin D, for example, is fat soluble and necessary for calcium absorption, fat-free dairy isn't as useful in attaining nutrients. I have Celiac disease and when I was first gluten-free, it was important to make sure I was getting the nutrients my body had previously been unable to absorb.

I have always found it helpful to chat with a nutritionist or doctor about a food plan, especially before cutting out whole food groups.

Soy milk and almond milk have twice the amount of calcium and about half the calories of cow's milk. Look at the labels!
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud

Dreamfield is a scam, don't eat that crap frankenfood.

As for dairy, yes. Give up the sugary dairy like whole milk. No reason to cut out the cheeses unless they make you sick, lots of healthy fat and protein in cheese.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This is a Scottish brand of vegan cheese. I'm just showing you for the photo of all the different varieties of it!

http://www.buteisland.com/

http://www.buteisland.com/a_sheese_home.htm
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you will have more success practicing will power, self control, discipline and portion control. I have not given anything as part of my health(er) lifestyle.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I don't think you should give it up unless you are intolerant. (which I am)

Maybe just limit how much you eat?

I now only have it a few times a week. I live for greek yogurt!!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.

True story

I don't understand giving up foods you love. (said as I eat my chocolate pie and bacon) :happy:
  • Hez14
    Hez14 Posts: 7
    Options
    Dairy can act like an inflamatory in your system. After researching "paleo eating" I've given it up and seen some pleasent side effects such as ance clearing up. Try it for a month and see what happens.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Cheese is loaded with fat. Milk to me is just disgusting now. I used to drink a lot of it, but since being enlightened about the dairy industry I cannot drink it anymore. It's loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pus, and fecal matter. Yes, it is pasteurized, but it is still just disgusting to me. After a human is weaned there is no need or place for milk in their diet. That's what weaning is - transitioning from a milk-based diet to a food-based diet. Cow's milk is only designed to nourish calves until they're able to graze - not humans. The "Got milk?" slogan should be changed to "Got obesity and diabetes?" It has no place in the human diet. Keep reading and learning - you may make a decision on this for reasons greater that giving up dairy as a weight loss tool.

tumblr_m7e87jzsnJ1qztj89.gif
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I approach this as a lifestyle. That being so....I would ask myself do I want to not eat pasta for the rest of my life? HELL NO!!! Ditto on the dairy. I don't think nature intended us to be so restrictive. Regardless....I eat pasta a few times a week, here's the big secret, MODERATION. Keep it to a reasonable portion size. I eat dairy several times a day it helps me reach the protein and calcium goals. So unless you're allergic or intolerant, eliminating entire food groups is just plain deprivation.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    While pasta is delicious, it's not particularly nutrient dense. Dairy, on the other hand, has quite a few benefits. I stick to small portions of full-fat dairy, per my doctors recommendation. I was told that as vitamin D, for example, is fat soluble and necessary for calcium absorption, fat-free dairy isn't as useful in attaining nutrients. I have Celiac disease and when I was first gluten-free, it was important to make sure I was getting the nutrients my body had previously been unable to absorb.

I have always found it helpful to chat with a nutritionist or doctor about a food plan, especially before cutting out whole food groups.

Soy milk and almond milk have twice the amount of calcium and about half the calories of cow's milk. Look at the labels!

If we're going to talk macros maybe we should look at protein as well. just saying.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dairy, you should NOT give it up. Why? Have you been hitting your daily calcium intake everyday? If you take dairy out of your diet, you are even less likely to get a sufficient amount of calcium - and you should get a decent amounty of calcium, especially if you're a woman! Hello osteoporosis.

You can drink skimmed milk if you're worried about fat content. Also, you could drink soy products that are enriched with calcium, but then, you'd have to be drinking you're entire calcium intake EVERYDAY because you wouldn't be getting calcium from other dairy sources such as cheese. Check your current MFP diary to see if you've been getting enough calcium even when having dairy products. I'm a dairy consumer and I still don't get enough calcium everyday.

Also, milk is usually fortified with Vitamin D. So, if you're cutting out milk, also make sure that you're getting enough sun and/or Vit. D supplements.

It may SEEM like a good idea to cut out dairy for a short amount of time...but not in the long run.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta a couple of weeks ago. I have been substituting cauliflower and zucchini. I can honestly say I really don't miss it. It's just filler after all. I am now considering the whole dairy option. I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet anyhow.... but I do like cheese. Is this another step I should take and are there things that I can substitute for the inevitable craving?

I would give it up. too much fat.....don't want to get fat. Good call on the pasta too......Carbs are totally the problem.....well that and fat.

And protein, I'd just drink water to be safe

OMG!! You are so right! I better cut all carbs and fats because those make you fat....and protein too just to be on the safe side. I heard protein makes you bulky.
    Everyone knows that cutting carbs and fat are the only way to lose weight. That, and eating 1200 calories a day!!! No wonder I'm not having any success - I'm still eating everything in moderation and eating a 20% cut from my TDEE!!

Now, I swear I had 40 extra lbs laying around here somewhere......where the heck did it go????? :laugh:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Cheese is loaded with fat. Milk to me is just disgusting now. I used to drink a lot of it, but since being enlightened about the dairy industry I cannot drink it anymore. It's loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pus, and fecal matter. Yes, it is pasteurized, but it is still just disgusting to me. After a human is weaned there is no need or place for milk in their diet. That's what weaning is - transitioning from a milk-based diet to a food-based diet. Cow's milk is only designed to nourish calves until they're able to graze - not humans. The "Got milk?" slogan should be changed to "Got obesity and diabetes?" It has no place in the human diet. Keep reading and learning - you may make a decision on this for reasons greater that giving up dairy as a weight loss tool.

This,exactly
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I don't understand giving up foods you love. (said as I eat my chocolate pie and bacon) :happy:

I do. I love pasta and garlic bread, but I don't like the crappy feeling they give me. Sorry, but Id rather part with something I love than to keep it and keep feeling physically crappy because of it. I like this lighter, slimmer feeling much more than gaining weight and being bloated constantly. Moderation? I dont' like feeling crappy and bloated in moderation either. That's just me though.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

This,exactly

But then.....how do I make my delicious bacon topped cupcakes??? :wink: