I GAVE Up PASTA... should I give up dairy too

Options

Replies

• JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cheese is loaded with fat. Milk to me is just disgusting now. I used to drink a lot of it, but since being enlightened about the dairy industry I cannot drink it anymore. It's loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pus, and fecal matter. Yes, it is pasteurized, but it is still just disgusting to me. After a human is weaned there is no need or place for milk in their diet. That's what weaning is - transitioning from a milk-based diet to a food-based diet. Cow's milk is only designed to nourish calves until they're able to graze - not humans. The "Got milk?" slogan should be changed to "Got obesity and diabetes?" It has no place in the human diet. Keep reading and learning - you may make a decision on this for reasons greater that giving up dairy as a weight loss tool.

Meat has fat, Avocado has fat, Peanuts and Almonds are Fat!
    So let me get this straight: You claim that Cows milk are for baby calves?

Well are carrots for rabbits only? Should humans consume only humans?

Your idea of what someone should eat is way over the top!

By your logic I would not drink anything from animal eat anything from animal either?

Nuts are for squirrles?

All female mammals produce milk once they have given birth to provide nourishment for their young. Once the young are old enough to sustain on other foods, they stop nursing and the mother’s milk dries up. The only reason a cow has for producing milk is to feed its young. Some person walked past that calf one day and decided to sample what it was getting. Dairy industry was born. So, in the natural order of things, it is UN-natural for humans to drink cow's milk.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    While pasta is delicious, it's not particularly nutrient dense. Dairy, on the other hand, has quite a few benefits. I stick to small portions of full-fat dairy, per my doctors recommendation. I was told that as vitamin D, for example, is fat soluble and necessary for calcium absorption, fat-free dairy isn't as useful in attaining nutrients. I have Celiac disease and when I was first gluten-free, it was important to make sure I was getting the nutrients my body had previously been unable to absorb.

I have always found it helpful to chat with a nutritionist or doctor about a food plan, especially before cutting out whole food groups.

Soy milk and almond milk have twice the amount of calcium and about half the calories of cow's milk. Look at the labels!

If we're going to talk macros maybe we should look at protein as well. just saying.

Most of my protein comes from wholemeal bread and unsweetened soya milk. I'm almost always over my protein goal.

What is your protein goal exactly per day?

Nevermind...I looked at your diary.....you average < 50 grams per day......we obviously have very different goals.
  • Pomroy89
    Pomroy89 Posts: 29
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.

I second this statement!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All female mammals produce milk once they have given birth to provide nourishment for their young. Once the young are old enough to sustain on other foods, they stop nursing and the mother’s milk dries up. The only reason a cow has for producing milk is to feed its young. Some person walked past that calf one day and decided to sample what it was getting. Dairy industry was born. So, in the natural order of things, it is UN-natural for humans to drink cow's milk.

How is this different from someone walking past a zucchini one day and deciding to sample it? The natural reason for zucchini is to spread the seed of the plant. Does that make UN-natural for me to eat zucchini.
  • jen14128
    jen14128 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    While pasta is delicious, it's not particularly nutrient dense. Dairy, on the other hand, has quite a few benefits. I stick to small portions of full-fat dairy, per my doctors recommendation. I was told that as vitamin D, for example, is fat soluble and necessary for calcium absorption, fat-free dairy isn't as useful in attaining nutrients. I have Celiac disease and when I was first gluten-free, it was important to make sure I was getting the nutrients my body had previously been unable to absorb.

I have always found it helpful to chat with a nutritionist or doctor about a food plan, especially before cutting out whole food groups.

Soy milk and almond milk have twice the amount of calcium and about half the calories of cow's milk. Look at the labels!

I tried "So Delicious" coconut milk yogurt this morning for the first time. the name did not lie. i will never go back to dairy yogurt. ugh.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I would be endlessly sad w/o my Greek yogurt and Laughing Cow cheese :)
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Jay_Jay - did you read all the comments from people with diabetes that can eat that pasta? It really doesn't sound like a scam to me.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options

How is this different from someone walking past a zucchini one day and deciding to sample it? The natural reason for zucchini is to spread the seed of the plant. Does that make UN-natural for me to eat zucchini.

And the natural reason a cow produces milk is to nourish its young. It doesn't need to disseminate anything. Once there is no more young to nourish, the milk goes away and it lives it's life. The sole purpose of a cow's life is NOT to produce milk whereas the sole purpose of the actual zucchini is to disseminate seeds.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

And the natural reason a cow produces milk is to nourish its young. It doesn't need to disseminate anything. Once there is no more young to nourish, the milk goes away and it lives it's life. The sole purpose of a cow's life is NOT to produce milk whereas the sole purpose of the actual zucchini is to disseminate seeds.

I can tell you that my house pets would do ANYTHING to have dairy! The only reason they don't have it regularly in their diet is because they haven't figured out how to milk cows, goats, etc. yet. Us humans have opposing thumbs that helped us accomplish that ;)

Otherwise, pretty much all mammals would keep on drinking milk, especially from other species, into adulthood.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I be damn if I give anything I love!

Moderation = Success

me too!! moderation moderation moderation!!!!!! :) It's a lifestyle change, after all!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I be damn if I give anything I love!

Moderation = Success
    AGREED!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    People will always push this idea of "everything in moderation", but you need to do what works best for your body.

Personally, we don't eat wheat/gluten, and have found such an improvement in our health that we would never go back. Our daughter also does not eat dairy, and we've noticed that she is less congested, and has not been hospitalized due to her asthma since making this modification to her diet.

Would I love to eat pizza and garlic bread once in while? Yes! Of course, I know it would make me feel sick (even in moderation). Does my daughter want to have a "glass of real milk"? Yes, but I've watched her breath through a tube enough times to know it's not worth it.

I would suggest experimenting with your body to see what works for you (you don't need to follow this "everything in moderation" idea). I know for us, once we improved our diet (in particular by removing wheat/gluten), we started sharing the improvements we were seeing with friends and family. Many of our friends and family who have tried removing items from their diet, didn't realize the awful affects these items were having on them until they stopped eating them (people just get used to feeling this way over time).
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    No need to cut out whole food groups. They can be perfectly healthy if done right.

My tips:
    -Look for whole wheat pasta. It's loaded with fiber and will keep you full, thus less likely to overeat. Organics at Safeway is quite tasty. Use parmesan cheese instead of a white sauce.
    -Stick to skim milk. Not too many calories there and loaded with nutrients.
    -Use cheese in moderation. The fats in it aren't bad, but you can rack up the calories quickly. MFP is a great way to make sure you don't overdo it!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I would suggest experimenting with your body to see what works for you (you don't need to follow this "everything in moderation" idea). I know for us, once we improved our diet (in particular by removing wheat/gluten), we started sharing the improvements we were seeing with friends and family. Many of our friends and family who have tried removing items from their diet, didn't realize the awful affects these items were having on them until they stopped eating them (people just get used to feeling this way over time).

Just so everyone knows, there is no need to eliminate gluten from your diet unless you have Celiacs Disease or some kind of gluten sensitivity. "Gluten free" does NOT mean health food! It means your digestive tract isn't working normally.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    People will always push this idea of "everything in moderation", but you need to do what works best for your body.

AMEN! Even in "moderation" foods I used to love (breads, pastas) will make me feel crappy. I'm so over this "everything in moderation" thing. I want to be HEALTHY, not just skinny. Sure I can lose and get skinny living off fast food in moderation and not overeating, but that doesn't leave my body healthy. While I'm not a perfect eater by any means, I've come to learn that even in moderation, foods i used to be able to tolerate aren't worth hours of pain or lethargy for those few bites of ice cream or cookies. I'm actually GLAD they affect me this way now. I KNOW they aren't healthy, and knowing how I'll feel makes it easier to not want them.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.

Amen!!!!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I actually don't eat pasta because I don't like it. And one thing I forgot to mention about the cheese thing is I never considered myself lactose intolerant but maybe I was. I used to have a lot of stomach issues, it wasn't tied to one food or another but around the same time I gave up eating dairy on a regular basis, I also stopped using pepto on a regular basis.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I actually don't eat pasta because I don't like it. And one thing I forgot to mention about the cheese thing is I never considered myself lactose intolerant but maybe I was. I used to have a lot of stomach issues, it wasn't tied to one food or another but around the same time I gave up eating dairy on a regular basis, I also stopped using pepto on a regular basis.

A clue! A clue!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

A clue! A clue!
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options

A clue! A clue!

wheat = I vomit
    dairy = I wheeze
    ....................I wonder could this mean? .........no, couldn't possibly give up something I love.

Well I did give it up, and guess what? :)

Bit sad about cheese though.