WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• embjojo
    embjojo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group. Will be back with goals for September later.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday morning to all my friends. So yesterday Ginny and I had our first weigh in. A small victory for me…despite being kinda (not awful) bad all week and eating loads of sodium, and weighing at noon instead of before I ate….I weighed exactly the same as last week. So I was very happy with that! :drinker:

DH and I had our date night last night. We went to a place called the Cinedine where you can have food and drinks while watching your movie. They have appetizers and desserts in addition to hamburgers, sandwiches, salads, and pizza. Then they have 2 large bars outside the area where the actual theaters are. We saw Hope Springs which was really great and then stopped and had a little dessert at a cool European style bakery. :wink:

This morning the niece of a good friend of ours who has just started selling Mary Kaye came over and did skin care and make up with the three of us girls. IT was way more fun than I thought it would be. I actually only agreed because she’s related to good friends. We all ended up buying something. Alena (15 year old) wanted a make up party for her upcoming 16th birthday so we booked that too.

Linda: so glad to hear about how much weight you have lost! That’s amazing. :flowerforyou: UGH…6 days in a row??? Do you work 8 or 12 hour shifts? I couldn’t manage 6 12-hour shifts in a row!

Glenda: NSV = non scale victory….in other words someone tells you how good you look, a dress fits that didn’t last month,
    etc.

Cindy: I thought that movie was a hoot, but you are right there is lots of talk about sex. I teach sexuality and STDs so it didn’t bother me but I bet some people would really find it uncomfortable. The best part was their facial expressions when they were talking about sex in the counselor’s office. That was hilarious. :bigsmile:

JNHEff and Slowspud (love that name btw)…drinking all that water has to be started slowly LOL or you WILL be in that bathroom all day!

Mommie: have no idea what Tai Ching is but I’m looking forward to learning about it!

Kate: my kids are from Russia and they say I make the best borscht in the world ( and they don’t compliment me often) so I’ll add my recipe at the end of this post.

Fabulosity: You do look fabulous! That is an amazing amount of weight to lose, congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Kathy so sorry your toe is taking so long to heal….so is DH’s. Three and ½ weeks and he still can’t put a shoe on. Walking in the surgical shoe is hard because is it higher than his other shoes, so he walks lopsided and then gets a back ache. I hope you feel better soon. :happy:

Gini: crab cakes!!!!!!! YUM I bet you had a grand vacation!

Jen: 5 weeks smoke-free AND no dead students! Boy that’s a NSV for sure LOL.:laugh: You are doing so wonderful!

Barbie: I cannot thank you enough for what you said the other day about goals and how you can’t control how much you lose. That has been an entire paradigm shift for me. I always felt like such a failure because I would be “good” and not meet my weight goals. So then I’d give up, because of course nothing ever worked, so why bother. Ginny and I talked about that comment and both of us felt very liberated by it and feel like we really are in control now. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

With that being said, and I know this is in an odd place, here are my September goals:
    1. Log in every day and log all food and water daily except for one free day every other week
    2. Drink 90 ounces of water a day
    3. Exercise (cardio) 3 times a week (doesn’t sound like much but in August I only got twice a week in)
    4. Stick to 1900 calories a day
    5. Find joy and beauty somewhere every day.

Laurel: congratulations on being such a big loser! And that money is great too. I bet you are so much healthier than before! :flowerforyou:

Wessecg: wow that is a stressful week! At least you ate healthy food. A calorie is not a calorie….there are those that are healthy and those that are not. So congratulate yourself that all those calories weren’t chips and beer! (which is what I would have had, btw!)

Rebel: hope to see you again here soon. Have a great trip

Musicgal: welcome and looking forward to getting to know you

Summergirl: you are a member since you posted. Come back often

Marty: welcome to you too

OK I know I have missed so many people. IT is so cool to read up on what everyone else is doing! SO here is the borscht recipe:

1# soup bone with or without meat (I use 8 beef bouillion cubes and 10 c water; more salt but my kids say it tastes more like home)
    1 onion chopped
    2 medium beets, peeled and either coarsely grated or sliced in jullienne slices
    3 c shredded cabbage
    3 large carrots, shredded or julliene’d (spelling, sorry)
    5 small potatoes, thinly sliced
    1 c tomato juice (I like spicy V8 here )
    Salt and pepper to taste
    ½ c sour cream
    1 Tablespoon dill
    Cover soup bone or add boullion cubes in 10 c water. Simmer 1 hour. Add onion & beets, cook 10-15 minutes til beets are partially tender. Add carrots and potatoes, simmer about 2 hours or til nearly tender. Add cabbage and dill and cook another 20 minutes. Let stand for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with sour cream. (The sour cream gets added to each person’s bowl to taste just before eating).

OK everyone take care and stay strong! Meg
    :tongue:
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Auntiebk Barbara, I'm with you on the struggle with wine! My doctor says a glass each night is good for my prediabetes, because it lowers blood sugar, and it's the best pain killer I've found for my various arthritic ailments. And my husband is a wine connoisseur! But as Barbiecat has said many times, it's empty calories. Every night at dinnertime I remind myself of the reasons I shouldn't drink wine, but then this emotional brat inside me starts screaming, "Not fair! I want to feel good tonight!" And usually, the brat wins, and I have that glass of wine. A six ounce glass of white wine is about 110 calories. A pound of fat is about 3500 calories. If I could cut out wine altogether, I would lose about one extra pound each month.

I need an "addicted-to-my-glass-of-wine-at-dinner anonymous" buddy who I could text in the evening for support when my inner tantrum child is yelling about wanting to feel good. It's too bad we're in different time zones.

For several months last winter, I managed to substitute nonalcoholic beer or wine for my glass of vino. That was still empty calories, but it was fewer calories than real wine. Then we went on a trip, and I started drinking real wine again, and I kept doing that.

The struggle continues!

I just started on a new program that I thought up driving home from vacation. I'm using the back-to-school concept to motivate myself. When school started every autumn, I hated losing my freedom, but I coped. Every meal or snack eat, I'm thinking of it as a school assignment. If I'm within my goal for the meal, I get an A. When I need to walk (or cycle) with the poodles, I think about walking or cycling to school as a kid. I give myself grades on my diary at the end of each day. I think about wanting to be on the "honor roll". I made a list of all the events I'm looking forward to his school year and imagine myself being slimmer and fitter at each new event. It works especially well for me because in April I have my 50th high school reunion. In 1963, I weighed 135 pounds and was a cheerleader! Wouldn't it be great if I could weigh 135 again by April.

If any of you fabulous women here want to be my support buddies this "school year", I started a "back to school" challenge for us older folks in the Senior Golden Sneakers group. So far, I don't have any takers, so I figure I'll just do it all alone if necessary, and maybe sooner or later someone will join.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My goal for September is to become acclimated to MFP especially some of the lingo being used; I just learned "bump". I signed up yesterday for the Christmas Challenge - Jingle All the Way with a goal of losing 7 lbs in each month. My first month back on MFP (August 2012) I was blessed with a monthly loss of 9.2 lbs and a repeat would be welcome. I am going to be more realistic in light of the holidays though. I'm also still on WW which I have decided that by the end of September I would make a decision whether to continue there or not. The community here is so much friendlier :smile:
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm knew to this group and new to this site. I love how it motivates you and when you have questions, people help. Thanks

Goals for September:
    Run my 5K that I have started training for last month.
    Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    Do my weights 3 times a week.

And the big one... Keep my head together. I am also a teacher and now have to go back to work. I work as a preschool teacher and I open the place, so I get up at 4:30. I need to exercise right when I walk in the door from work.
  • s50s
    Options
    My goal for September is to become acclimated to MFP especially some of the lingo being used; I just learned "bump". I signed up yesterday for the Christmas Challenge - Jingle All the Way with a goal of losing 7 lbs in each month. My first month back on MFP (August 2012) I was blessed with a monthly loss of 9.2 lbs and a repeat would be welcome. I am going to be more realistic in light of the holidays though. I'm also still on WW which I have decided that by the end of September I would make a decision whether to continue there or not. The community here is so much friendlier :smile:

I agree about WW. I was also a member months back and I get just as much information here.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree about WW. I was also a member months back and I get just as much information here.

Thanks and welcome along :)
  • jeanholly
    jeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love all of your goals!
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ohhh - love it - just the group I was looking for!!! Teacher going back to work on Tuesday...how will I ever fit in 8 - 10 hours of work into my day? Hahaha...

Met all my summer goals. Pretty proud of myself!!!

Goals for September:

30 DS
    Keep up the meditations
    EAT LUNCH!!!! IN PEACE!!!! (as you can see, this is a major issue for me!!!)
    Focus on my health
    Work to Live

Good luck, ladies!!!! (and gents, if there are any!!! )
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Karin62- I am also a teacher returning on Tuesday. I too do not know how I will fit work in. It has been a wonderful summer. I also want to do the 30ds. Started it early this summer but did not finish it- too hot. I found kayaking to be more fun! Good luck with the new year/ Maybe we can stay in touch and encourage each other through the 30ds.

Deb A
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher myself, but I come from a family with a long line of teachers :smile:
    I just turned 50 in May, so I hope that qualifies me to be a part of this group.
    My goal for September is to shed 10 pounds by the end of the month.

SW: 427 [back in 2010]
    CW: 335 [as of 9/1/12]
    GW: 325

Weigh in Dates:
    9/1 = 335 [Starting date]
    9/8 =
    9/15 =
    9/22 =
    9/31 =

Total weight lost:
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Mommie - she probably meant Tai chi. It's a form of Chinese martial art with very gentle movements meant to reduce stress.

Called up my neighbor and went went for a bike ride down to the framers market this morning. Ten miles round trip. My longest rife so far and it's uphill on the way home. It was great! We were laughing - hey look at us, we're like athletes now! NOT! But it was fun and son nice to have that accomplishment.

Bought some fresh pasta and olive oil while there. I had a spaghetti squash in my hand but put it back because it was too heavy andI didn't want to carry it home in my backpack. I need a little basket. Funny picture just came to mind, I was wearing all black this morning, wonder if the basket would make me look like the witch from the Wizard of Oz:laugh:

Made some guacamole this afternoon and planned on making salsa or canning some tomatoes, but they seem to have disappeared from the back porch. There is a large chocolate lab with a very satisfied look on his face...

I can't remember all my goals from August, but know I made progress. Here's September:

Get even more sleep.
    Continue aiming for 10,000 steps
    Exercise 4-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes
    Clean the upstairs (company coming 9/27)
    Focus on eating healthy, not obsessing over following a plan.

Welcome to all the newcomers! Keep coming back, even if you get off track on your goals. This group will understand and try to help you find your way back. Pracitice, not perfection!

Gini
  • s50s
    Options
    Ohhh - love it - just the group I was looking for!!! Teacher going back to work on Tuesday...how will I ever fit in 8 - 10 hours of work into my day? Hahaha...

Met all my summer goals. Pretty proud of myself!!!

Goals for September:

30 DS
    Keep up the meditations
    EAT LUNCH!!!! IN PEACE!!!! (as you can see, this is a major issue for me!!!)
    Focus on my health
    Work to Live

Good luck, ladies!!!! (and gents, if there are any!!! )

I love your goals, I think those should also be mine. I love having my summers off, but love seeing those little darlings again.
  • BarbACona
    Options
    I am a Head Start assistant teacher. The children have Open House on Wednesday and their first real day on Thursday. I have been worried that my exercise routine will suffer once I am on my feet all day with the kids and have been trying to make getting up to walk and run at 5 am a routine for the past 4 weeks. I also have been working on C25K for the past 5 weeks and Tomorrow marks day 1 of week 6. I am interested in becoming a part of this group for motivation, advice and to be a help in any way I can to someone else who is also trying to maintain a routine.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Finally came up with Sept. goals -

Make at least one new recipe with veggies a week
    Hit the pool at the gym at least 3X a week
    No snacks execpt a piece of fruit after 7PM and last but not least 10 min of decluttering a day (borrowed this from from Barbara:smile: ) I really need to do this!

Kathy

“The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become.”

- Heraclitus
  • zobqueen
    zobqueen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! Not a teacher but am a woman of 50 plus seven years...~S~ I think that qualifies me?

Goals for September:

Get well - bronchitis hanging on
    Workout twice a week with trainer
    Work out 3-4 times a week cardio
    (increase cardio time from 30 min to 60 min)

Good Luck Everyone!:smile:
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I found you! I found you! hooray!! I will be back with goals later.....:happy:
  • ndbirdmomDiane
    Options
    Hi, I am 63 and on a journey to lose 50 pounds. I am a retired nurse. Doing patient/family teaching was my favorite job when I was working,.

My goals for Sept.
    walk 11,000 steps daily
    eat veggies for 2 meals daily
    Have fish 2-3 times a week.
    Drink 10 glasses of water daily.

Happy September!
  • Chellie_Bellie
    Options
    I am a newbie and 50+ and would love to join the group.

My goals are:
    To continue to record every bite I take ( amazing how much that helps!)
    To make sure I am drinking 8 glasses of water a day.
    Lose 1 pound a week ( should be easy as I just started )
    Workout at least 3 times a week (bad knees, just now being allowed to workout harder)
    Replace some of my empty value snacks with more fruits and veggies

Good Luck Everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • AprilFoolGirl
    AprilFoolGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello- I am 51 years old and have been and still am a Detention Supervisor in a Middle School since 1995. Not a teacher but I work with kids every day so I figure that qualifies. I start back on Tuesday. I have been on MFP for a month so my goals are:

:heart: To log in daily
    :heart: To drink 8 glasses of water every day
    :heart: To exercise at least 3 days a week

Looking forward to belonging to this group.

April Fool Girl