Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles- The Continuation

Options

Replies

• GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain dry frying to me? I am more of a microwave kind of gal and don't know the first thing about cooking. Thank you in advance
  • cgo8890
    cgo8890 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for the great info!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain dry frying to me? I am more of a microwave kind of gal and don't know the first thing about cooking. Thank you in advance

Easiest thing in the world! Spray a frying pan with zero-calorie cooking spray. Heat pan on high. Fry noodles in pan until they're dry on the outside (about 8 minutes). They'll taste a lot more like pasta noodles that way. They don't stick and you can't possibly mess them up!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    How well do they hold up in soups? I have a recipe
    for a chinese soup, I'm trying to make low sodium.

I'm thinking of ramen type noodles, or are these big
    like spaghetti?
  • finallychelle
    Options
    How well do they hold up in soups? I have a recipe
    for a chinese soup, I'm trying to make low sodium.

I'm thinking of ramen type noodles, or are these big
    like spaghetti?

They work well in soups and they come in different pasta shapes and sizes, including angel hair and spaghetti. I use them in phó frequently.
  • spark409
    Options
    @finallychelle
    you should try some korean recipes they are an excellent substitute to all korean dishes. i only tried these 2 days ago and theyre soooo goood made about 4 dishes already :) im going to upload some photos lke u did :)

i had a question though

these seem too good to be true. i mean zero cal noodles seems like drinking diet soda.. do you know if there are health risks to eating too much of this?
  • finallychelle
    Options
    @finallychelle
    you should try some korean recipes they are an excellent substitute to all korean dishes. i only tried these 2 days ago and theyre soooo goood made about 4 dishes already :) im going to upload some photos lke u did :)

i had a question though

these seem too good to be true. i mean zero cal noodles seems like drinking diet soda.. do you know if there are health risks to eating too much of this?

I can't imagine there being any health risks unless you ate these and ignored the rest of your nutrition.

At the end of every day I look at the nutritional summary and make sure that I got enough calories, vitamins, fiber, etc. I've never eaten healthier in my life.

The noodles just provide bulk so that the flavors in my day go a lot farther. When I'm full-- I don't snack. When I don't snack-- I tend to eat more balanced, nutritious meals.

They're just noodles made from a vegetable. If they could make noodles out of cabbage or celery it would be the same thing-- noodles with virtually no calories.

I'd love to see some of your Korean recipes. I love cooking international cuisines!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Shirataki noodles (and MFP) are primarily responsible for my weight loss. I can honestly say that I could NOT have done it without shirataki noodles. I eat them every single day-- usually in a bacon and egg breakfast stir fry.

They start me off right and then the rest of the day is a breeze.

This pic shows what I look like now vs. what I looked like just before I started my diet, last year:

tumblr_m9ljaxYwnC1qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

If you look closely you should be able to see a slight difference. ;o)

-everthinnerchelle
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this... dying to try them! :)
  • spark409
    Options
    Shirataki noodles (and MFP) are primarily responsible for my weight loss. I can honestly say that I could NOT have done it without shirataki noodles. I eat them every single day-- usually in a bacon and egg breakfast stir fry.

They start me off right and then the rest of the day is a breeze.

This pic shows what I look like now vs. what I looked like just before I started my diet, last year:

tumblr_m9ljaxYwnC1qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

If you look closely you should be able to see a slight difference. ;o)

-everthinnerchelle

slight difference? wow you look amazing!
    well done!

I will share with you what ive made so far.
    the variations i have done are called
    "jja jang myun"
    "jjol myun"
    and added noodles to a spicy soup called "kim chi jji gae"
    you could search on google if you want or i will upload pics and recipes soon.

as ive said, a lot of korean noodles do have a similar texture to shirtaki so these noodles work awesomely with these dishes. i cant imagine them being a substitute for pasta in a mushroom cream sauce. Unless it worked for you?

the next dish im going to try is called "jap chae"

ps also tomo im going to try your mashed cauliflower recipe! I wish you had photos of this too :/ it would be easier cooking when knowing what the final product should sort of look like.
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try them. My family eats a great deal of pasta and I was looking for something for me! Thanks for sharing.
  • krystleeanne
    krystleeanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    as ive said, a lot of korean noodles do have a similar texture to shirtaki so these noodles work awesomely with these dishes. i cant imagine them being a substitute for pasta in a mushroom cream sauce. Unless it worked for you?

I don’t know if this counts as your mushroom cream sauce, but last week I tried using these in a tuna noodle and in a chicken tetrazzini kind of recipe. I thought it was pretty yum!

2 bags of House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles...rinsed and dry fried
    Sprinkle on a little garlic powder and *Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasonings as they dry fry
    1 can tuna or 1 can chicken
    Add 3/4 cup (1/2 can) of 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom condensed soup
    Mix and add 2 TBS sour cream

Serves 2, but the below totals are if you eat the whole pan
    Tuna:
    Calories: 370 Carbs: 27 Fat: 15 Protein: 33 Sodium: 1,175 Fiber: 10

Chicken:
    Calories: 405 Carbs: 27 Fat: 15 Protein: 37 Sodium: 1,420 Fiber: 10

*Note: Tony’s is not necessarily needed for the recipe…I just put it on practically everything
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    WOW the most AMAZING informative post on noodles ever. I will try them you convinced me. You Had ME at "Lets Talk"
    :laugh:
  • finallychelle
    Options

I don’t know if this counts as your mushroom cream sauce, but last week I tried using these in a tuna noodle and in a chicken tetrazzini kind of recipe. I thought it was pretty yum!

2 bags of House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles...rinsed and dry fried
    Sprinkle on a little garlic powder and *Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasonings as they dry fry
    1 can tuna or 1 can chicken
    Add 3/4 cup (1/2 can) of 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom condensed soup
    Mix and add 2 TBS sour cream

Serves 2, but the below totals are if you eat the whole pan
    Tuna:
    Calories: 370 Carbs: 27 Fat: 15 Protein: 33 Sodium: 1,175 Fiber: 10

Chicken:
    Calories: 405 Carbs: 27 Fat: 15 Protein: 37 Sodium: 1,420 Fiber: 10

*Note: Tony’s is not necessarily needed for the recipe…I just put it on practically everything

Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try this!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wow. Gonna have to re-read this!
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I'm going to have to revisit these noodles. I love them in pho, but when I tried them in stir fry the texture nearly made me gag. I will try the dry fry method to go with my adobo tonight, as rice is so carby and caloric. Thanks for this thread FinallyMichelle! It is so informative with lots of good ideas.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    Alright, this dry fry method is awesome! My noodles were so freakin good tonight. THANK YOU! Opened up a whole new noodle world for me aside from soup!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Alright, this dry fry method is awesome! My noodles were so freakin good tonight. THANK YOU! Opened up a whole new noodle world for me aside from soup!

How exciting! Yay!!!

-Chelle
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    These were a huge help in cutting out my pasta ADDICTION...

That being said, I've been boiling them and then frying them briefly to dry them out. I'm going to try completely skipping the boiling part and try the dry fry tomorrow!