Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: My husband and I were not together when he bought the house we currently live in. Didn't even know each other. He had it built, from the ground up, and none of it feels like mine. I would have done things so different and while I can decorate, it still doesn't feel like mine. We have a 15 month old son who is super active and loves to be outside, but when the house was built my husband didn't think he'd ever be married or have kids, so the outside is not kid friendly. We live on a hill and have a great deck, but no yard (ok, we have a yard but it's all dirt and rock and down hill). Our front yard is all perfectly landscaped and again, not kid friendly. I finally got my way and he agree'd to having part of the hill on the side of the house leveled out and adding grass. So he hired a guy he knows from high school who does landscaping as a side job to do it....and it's taking forever!!! This guy is such a freaking slacker and *I* think taking advantage of the fact that he and hubs have been friends for 20 years. It's been almost 2 months. They leveled out the yard and added a four foot fence (to keep the kid from running into the street and to keep pervy eyes away as he likes to be nakie) and then added a retaining wall (because we're on a hill). They're supposed to be adding another fence on top of the retaining wall to keep the kid from going head first off the 'yard', but as of yet it's not there. 2 months. I've been waiting 2 months. By the time it's complete it'll be too cold to play outside. And if I complain to my husband he gets defensive....so I keep it to myself and become more bitter every time I look at the stupid section of level dirt. *sigh*

Ok, just had to get that out. :grumble:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Welcome Garet!

Sunday share - For those that don't know me, I'm Kris. I'm 39 and started my weight loss from my highest of 326. I'm about halfway to mah goal now.

On a pleasant note I had a neat NSV today. Back in high school and into college I showed my horse in Dressage and Show Jumping, I put on too much weight to really ride and definitely too much to compete. Well today I yanked my old riding boots out of the bak of the closet and damn if they didn't slide right up my calf! I was so excited I had to call my mom and wake her up.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @mymowmow--congrats on the boots!! I have a pair of tall black boots which haven't fit me in years--2 years ago, I couldn't even zip them. Last year I could zip them, but they were so tight that if I tried wearing them, I would've risked losing a foot or 2 from loss of circulation. You just inspired me to try them again and they are almost perfect--just a tiny bit of muffin-top on my right calf (apparently my left is the thinner of the 2).

@shannon--ugh! that sucks! Sorry your yard is taking so long. :grumble: It's a tough trade off--if you hire someone you know, you get someone you trust and often a better price. However, if it takes too long or something goes wrong, it's so much more awkward than with a complete stranger. It sounds like you may have to take a deep breath and resign yourself to having a nice yard next spring. It's probably not worth making a row over it--you with the hubby, or him with the lifelong friend. Chalk it up to "lesson learned." :flowerforyou:

@niche--at least you got in all of that walking--I bet it made up for any excess today. Like you said--hit the gym tomorrow and maybe try to come in a little under by not eating back all of your exercise calories.

Grading goals for the weekend:
    1. x/58 creative writing stories
    2. 28/49 "Columber" responses
    3. prep for Advanced Grammar class--DONE!!!

Plan to head to starbucks in the morning to finish Columber responses before I go see my niece. If I get started on the stories, that will be a bonus.

Update on family drama:
    Haven't heard from MIL, but hubby talked to his sister today and she said she got into a huge fight with their mom this morning. It sounds like my MIL is off the rail--just happy she's not trying to rope me into it. Our only other concern is hubby's brother showing up here looking for a handout since everyone else has cut him off. I don't think he even has a car, so not sure how he would get here, but my SIL said if he shows up we can give him "a sandwich," but nothing more. No money, no rides anywhere, no buying him anything--not even minutes for his cell phone. We can let him use our phone to call the intervention counselor, but that's it. I really hope he just calls the counselor on his own to have an evaluation done.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    @mymowmow--congrats on the boots!! I have a pair of tall black boots which haven't fit me in years--2 years ago, I couldn't even zip them. Last year I could zip them, but they were so tight that if I tried wearing them, I would've risked losing a foot or 2 from loss of circulation. You just inspired me to try them again and they are almost perfect--just a tiny bit of muffin-top on my right calf (apparently my left is the thinner of the 2).

OMG! I actually just jumped up and down for you (that's a whole other NSV)!!!

Grats on your boots!!!
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    So, I'm looking at getting a Zumba DVD (because I'm totally mortified to go to a class). I used to love to dance, and I'm really hoping this might be a good direcction.
    Anyone else have any experience with them?
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: My name is Margaret and this is my first post to this thread. I have been with MFP on and off (mostly off) since March 2011. In my quest to get healthy, I am working on quiting smoking, by using an electronic cigarette. So my main focus is on getting in enough exercise that I don't gain more than 10 pounds. So far so good.
    As Skinnyjeansbound already stated (skinnyjeans is my friend "ITRW") I have been lurking at this tread for over a week. Sorry for being soo nosey, getting to know the regulars, and not sharing seems to rude now. :blushing:

Welcome Garetie! Just wanted to encourage you with the quitting smoking and weight loss. It's not the quitting smoking that makes people gain weight. It's the habit of using your hands to put something into your mouth...so for more people that is food, b/c food is good for you compared to cigs. So I think that you are in a great spot to actually loose weight by quitting with the electronic cig. You're giving your hands something to do,your mouth something to suck on and removing toxins from your body - which will help your body metabolize everything better. So it's a triple win all around!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sunday share=
    My name is Marie and I am going to be 40 the 12th. I am at 430 pounds and having a hard time getting past 426. That is the point where I start to regain to 430 or so. I am focusing on keeping around 1500 calories a day and am determined to get past it this time without the rebound.
    I am married with 4 kids and taking care of my mother with Parkinsons/dementia in our home. So cooking for 7 on a budget and trying to keep it as healthy as possible.
    Thanks,
    Marie
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

OMG! I actually just jumped up and down for you (that's a whole other NSV)!!!

Grats on your boots!!!

Thanks! I hope you logged all that jumping! :laugh:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Sunday Share: My name is Margaret and this is my first post to this thread. I have been with MFP on and off (mostly off) since March 2011. In my quest to get healthy, I am working on quiting smoking, by using an electronic cigarette. So my main focus is on getting in enough exercise that I don't gain more than 10 pounds. So far so good.
    As Skinnyjeansbound already stated (skinnyjeans is my friend "ITRW") I have been lurking at this tread for over a week. Sorry for being soo nosey, getting to know the regulars, and not sharing seems to rude now. :blushing:

Welcome Garetie! Just wanted to encourage you with the quitting smoking and weight loss. It's not the quitting smoking that makes people gain weight. It's the habit of using your hands to put something into your mouth...so for more people that is food, b/c food is good for you compared to cigs. So I think that you are in a great spot to actually loose weight by quitting with the electronic cig. You're giving your hands something to do,your mouth something to suck on and removing toxins from your body - which will help your body metabolize everything better. So it's a triple win all around!

Hmm--interesting. I have read that nicotine increases the metabolism b/c it's a stimulant. So (at least initially) when you cut the nicotine, your metabolism slows. Is that wrong then?

PS--it's so nice to have a doctor (along with Shrinkrapt and all of the nurses) in our group--though I feel like I should be paying you guys for your expert advice.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Welcome to all who is new! This is a very supportive group.

@skinny sorryb to hear about your MIL problems.
    @Robin-- I agree use ice it should help. Sorry you are in such pain.
    @Christine--Glad to hear that your son is back.
    @Marie--Welcome, keep coming back it is a very supportive group
    @MyMow-- Congrats on the boots.

Hi I am Elizabeth (Liz) 52 years old married mother of 1 a-19 year old with austim. At my heaviest when I started this I was over 300lbs. .
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. Just wanted to say welcome to our new people. You are going to love this group these people are awesome.:smile: I had a great day. My SIL and daughter and neice and I had a girls day. I got my hair colored for the first time in my almost forty years at a salon and it looks fantastic. Then we were passing Lane bryant and they are having a buy one get one sale so went in to get new jeans for my trip later this month. And yes you know its coming I got one size smaller. Yay me I was so happy. :bigsmile:

I was thinking about nicoles walk and have set myself a new goal. My husband and I went to snoqualmie falls a couple of years ago because I wanted to show the kids were I used to go intertubing. The walk down to the bottom was fine but the walk up was actually scary. I couldnt breath and had to stop every other step and actually had strangers stopping and asking if I needed them to get me help. I was so embarrased and I did make it on my own but it took almost an hour. So my goal now is to be able to hike up from the bottom of the falls next spring. I think that would be extremly meaningful to me after my last experience. I know with all the great support and motivation I receive from all of you that I can totally do this.

Well have a good night all and I will "see" you all tomorrow.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    aren't families fun???? NOT....but life would be so dull without family challenges

morgori- life sucks when you have pain in one place....let alone two....hope it improves daily

managed to get out for a 45 min walk. Later i wanted a peanut butter and jam sandwich....i build mine with about an inch of peanut butter.....but i decided on just a taste of 1 teaspoon then munched on frozen strawberries....yummy
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share - It has been a true "rollercoaster week."
    We start the new school on the 4th. We are still building desks, painting walls and assembling shelves. I've been attempting to hold teacher orientation. I have been interviewing parents as well as potential teachers to fill the last two teaching spots I'm going to need. We still have only 5 actual enrollments, but the lady where we get our uniform shirts done has told me of some people who have gotten theirs done. It's looking like we could start the semester with between 12 and 18 students.

In the midst of it all, I'm moving from big city life to small town life. I have spent every weekend packing up my apartment. I have till the 18th.

But for all of this, I'm more excited about my job than I have been in probably 10 years or more. I love teaching, but on top of that I have had a vision for this private school for nearly 8 years. Finally, it will open its doors on Tuesday at 8 a.m. Woo Hoo!
  • regojess
    regojess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lost another 3 pounds today! I was thinking the scale was gonna go the opposite way but, it didn't.

Sunday share...... Today my Dad and I planted the four citrus trees we had to plant. We had them for a few weeks now and just got to it today. It's 2 lemon and 2 lime trees. We have such a rainy climate that we have to find things that like or can tolerate it and also the acidic soil that doesn't drain all that well. I managed to dig one of the holes and mix the soil with some amend in the wheelbarrow but, I had my dad fill the hole back in. Hehe. It wasn't that hard of work, I have done it before when I was younger and I wasn't really tired; it's just that he is faster plus he was off the phone. (He was on the phone while I dug the hole)

Other than that I didn't do much else today. I did manage to get some reading done for homework and I have to go make sure my paper is all good so i can turn in my final draft on Tuesday. I gotta do it tonight because we are going shooting up the mountain tomorrow and will be gone all day. I didn't get to go last time so, I am looking forward to it. I just hope i get to shoot and that i actually hit at least one of those dang "pigeons."
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday..

Afraid not really got anything to put into a Monday Check In, other than I am still around. I weigh in tomorrow, so I will update tomorrow.

Robin, I love the topics for goals you have put up for September (is topics the right word?). So here are mine for September:

1. BACK TO THE FUTURE: Continue with the five 30 minute Gym Sessions was week, and the fruit/veg with every meal...

2. PIGS FLY, WHY CAN"T I? I have found a series of daily workout apps on my andriod (all free) and I will complete one per day, rotating them each day.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in -- I anticipated this on Saturday, but I formally checked in this morning and have lost 3 pounds this week. I am going to take Skinnyjean's advice and try to remember this next time I plateau, which will certainly happen. Thanks to everyone who's congratulated me; it's great having a group of people who are on this same very very long journey.

I'm 220lbs now, which is 100kg. So that's a nice metric milestone to get below this week.

MFP said 'well done, you've lost weight, let me adjust your calories down', so my net is now 1460. That slightly bothers me because I was doing so well on 1530 net. I know I'm being a bit silly, that I can eat 1530 net if I want and still lose weight, and that 70 cals a day is neither here nor there, but there's something psychological about not going below 1500. I just need to make sure I do plenty of exercise!

September goals -- recommitting in a way that's personal -- I'm still in that same first flush of success, so I'm still feeling pretty upbeat at the moment and don't feel a strong need to recommit. I'll think about this again in a week. I'm still very convinced that I can do this in a way that works for me, does not involve starvation, and feels totally positive.

Also, I had a goal of inspiring my family here -- hubby has joined MFP to shift a few pounds (he doesn't have a lot to lose like me though), and the kids are still making fun of it but they're both looking slimmer as I'm more careful with portion control and we're doing badminton as a family. My son was pleased that his school uniform fits him better than it did in July.

Pigs fly, why can't I? I did one new thing on Saturday, bell ringing -- and I might go and do it at the church near our house. They practice Wednesday evenings. Ringing church bells is jolly good exercise, I'm told, so I might wear the HR monitor. And I'm going to see the Paralympic Goalball tomorrow (the athletics on Saturday night was jolly good fun), so that's another new experience. You have to sit totally quietly so that the teams can hear audio cues.

It's not new, because I did it before I got sick, but I want to start C25k again. I'm not sure I can even do week 1 day 1 at the moment, but I'll just keep doing it until I can. I'd like to squeeze that into Thursday, which is (hurrah!) the first day the kids are back at school.

@Marie -- 1500 cals sounds like a really low target given your weight; that might be why you struggle to stick to the plan. There's lots of good stuff on MFP about how to work out what you need when you're starting from a higher weight. I bet it's hard to cook for a big family and manage portion control though.

@tekavincent -- how exciting to be opening a school! How wonderful to be a visionary and actually make your dreams come true. Good luck for tomorrow!

@naceto -- good luck going to the gym. Can you find a friend to go with to make it a bit easier?

@Laurie -- hope your cat is feeling a bit better.

@jtconst -- good to see you back.

@jana -- running 30 minutes is fantastic!

@shannon -- I bet your husband's feeling guilty about hiring his mate and it going wrong; that's why he's defensive. It'll be great when it's finished.

@Kris -- good to know your real name! Won't it be brilliant to be riding again?

USians -- do all enjoy Labor Day.

-- Alison
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the warm welcomes and encouragements!

September Goals:

Back to the Future: Sticking with the quitting smoking. Everyday that I don't smoke a cigarette I draw a star on my calendar as a small reward, to push this ahead, and advance my goal, I will buy gold star stickers. I will still get the drawn on stars when I don't smoke and I will get a gold star on days when I don't use the eletronic cigarette.

Pigs Fly Why can't I: My Aunt has challenged herself to do a 26 mile bike ride on September 29, and then asked my to join her:frown: I have not done much bike riding in years, and I am fairly sure I have never gone that far. So that is my new experience challenge to ride 26 miles on my bike on Sept. 29.
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Welcome Garet!

Sunday share - For those that don't know me, I'm Kris. I'm 39 and started my weight loss from my highest of 326. I'm about halfway to mah goal now.

On a pleasant note I had a neat NSV today. Back in high school and into college I showed my horse in Dressage and Show Jumping, I put on too much weight to really ride and definitely too much to compete. Well today I yanked my old riding boots out of the bak of the closet and damn if they didn't slide right up my calf! I was so excited I had to call my mom and wake her up.

Kris, that is fantastic! you are such an inspiration and motivator for me! Thanks for being here.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

It just dawned on me I missed Sunday Share yesterday, so I’ll share this morning. I’m Kelley, 43 (until November), in north central Texas. I didn’t start having weight issues until my 20s, I was very active and a runner in high school – went through some very difficult things in my 20s and put up walls in the form of weight, one day I woke up and was over 100# overweight and miserable. I’m slowly learning to trust people again, let them in, and tear down those walls. It’s been a struggle, but I’m getting there.

Monday Check-in~I met with my trainer this morning. It figures, we schedule an 8am session and my sweet Pebbles actually lets me sleep. So me, on no caffeine, working out – went better than I expected. :laugh: We talked about me starting a running program, so will be meeting with one of the other trainers next week to find out what my AT is (trainer thinks it’s changed) and work out those details. After my knee surgery in May, my orthoped said I could never run again, but I’ve been doing other things he said I could never do again – so feel like I need to try. Besides its one of the things I miss a lot. I'm also giving in on the Achilles tendon issue, seeing my foot orthoped in the morning - hoping for a cortisone injection.

Sorry you're feeling so poorly, Morgori. Sending healing vibes to you and your inlaws!

Re: electronic cigarettes~A friend of mine (an RN) has smoked for years, for her its always been an oral thing. A few months ago she started using the electronic cigarettes and its working really well for her. They are kind of pricey, but in the long run you end up saving money.
    Sunday share=
    My name is Marie and I am going to be 40 the 12th. I am at 430 pounds and having a hard time getting past 426. That is the point where I start to regain to 430 or so. I am focusing on keeping around 1500 calories a day and am determined to get past it this time without the rebound.
    I am married with 4 kids and taking care of my mother with Parkinsons/dementia in our home. So cooking for 7 on a budget and trying to keep it as healthy as possible.
    Thanks,
    Marie

Welcome, glad you found us. You'll find a lot of great advice and support here! Facing a large weight loss can be very overwhelming at first and sometimes can be the leading reason that we lose determination. One of the best forms of advice I can offer is to concentrate on and set smaller goals - maybe in 5-10# increments at first, then reward yourself (non-food reward).
    Good evening everyone. Just wanted to say welcome to our new people. You are going to love this group these people are awesome.:smile: I had a great day. My SIL and daughter and neice and I had a girls day. I got my hair colored for the first time in my almost forty years at a salon and it looks fantastic. Then we were passing Lane bryant and they are having a buy one get one sale so went in to get new jeans for my trip later this month. And yes you know its coming I got one size smaller. Yay me I was so happy. :bigsmile:

I was thinking about nicoles walk and have set myself a new goal. My husband and I went to snoqualmie falls a couple of years ago because I wanted to show the kids were I used to go intertubing. The walk down to the bottom was fine but the walk up was actually scary. I couldnt breath and had to stop every other step and actually had strangers stopping and asking if I needed them to get me help. I was so embarrased and I did make it on my own but it took almost an hour. So my goal now is to be able to hike up from the bottom of the falls next spring. I think that would be extremly meaningful to me after my last experience. I know with all the great support and motivation I receive from all of you that I can totally do this.

Well have a good night all and I will "see" you all tomorrow.

Yay, on the smaller size and setting that goal for walking up those hills. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    To all of my US peeps: Happy Labor Day!! I hope, that like me, you are actually off today. I hope, that unlike me. you don't have a bunch of work to do.

@kelley--thanks for sharing about how you gained weight as a shield. I've heard many people on MFP talk about that and it's so interesting (yet foreign) to me. I have been overweight my whole life and have the opposite feeling--I feel like the fat makes me more vulnerable. I guess it's due to being the "chubby" kid who might get teased on any given day for being overweight. Even though it's much less common to get "teased" or ridiculed as an adult, I feel like people still judge me based on my weight. I want to get rid of the rest of the excess fat so I'm not vulnerable to that negativity.

@margaret--I like the star rewards--that way you have a visual of your progress. Of course, as a teacher I might be partial to sticker rewards. :tongue: Are you doing Bike the Drive with your aunt or is it some other bike ride?

@alison--congrats on getting to 100 kilos and I know you will go below that milestone in no time! :drinker: Don't you just hate it when MFP takes away your calories?!?!? I know what you mean about getting used to a certain calorie amount and then it's like "congratulations for losing weight, now here's your punishment" :grumble: . I've thought about switching to the Fat2Fit method which propounds eating at your maintenance level WHILE you lose the weight. I understand the philosophy, but I'm just plain scared to eat over 2200 calories/day! :noway:

I had more to say, but my sister called and we have to cancel my visit. She and my bil were sick last week and last night my niece was up until 4 am with a fever. She's doing better today, but I just want to let her rest. Given this change in my plans, I want to be super-productive with the grading.