Raw Milk Anyone?

Options

Replies

• DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Realizing there are risks with eating any raw food is common sense. I don't believe anyone is saying there's NO risk to raw milk. I personally don't believe there's as large a risk as others clearly feel there is. I, like another poster, eat raw or nearly raw beef and lamb, sushi is practically a staple for me, and vegetables......they're LOADED with bacteria that can never be completely washed away and I rarely cook them at all.

As for suing a physician or the government IF I were to ever get sick, which I never have, that's the equivalent of suing McDonalds for hot coffee or obesity. No one on this thread indicated that they planned to blame anyone else if they got sick from drinking raw milk.

I don't begrudge anyone their pasteurized or homogenized milk.....that's what I buy for my home because I don't drink or even cook with it enough to spend the extra money on raw. I don't see any reason to discourage or preach at anyone who does choose to consume raw milk, however, anymore than I see a reason to discourage or preach at anyone who chooses to eat sushi or steak tartar.

To each his own
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If you love government so much, why don't you marry it?

This is why I'm a member of the Debate Group here on MFP. Comments like these would be laughed out of the room.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The government has a duty to ensure what is sold to the public is safe. When the FDA, or it's equivalent in other countries, give food advice based on scientific research then that advice carries significant weight and is not issued lightly.

The advice may find its way into leglisation - like banning the sale of raw milk - but it doesn't prevent the consumption of same if that's what you want to do.

I like hiking and will drink water from mountain streams rather than carry it. I am sure the advice would be that there's a risk associated with this. i know that risk and decide on balance that it's acceptable because i dont want to carry an extra 3 kgs of water with me.

So the OP can drink raw milk if she wants - I just dont see the benefit other than it might taste better to her. I suppose it must. One poster was able to say raw milk tastes better than pasteurised milk even though they only ever drank raw milk.

WRONG!

The government has a duty to protect our God-given rights! They have NO business telling us what we can or can't put in our own bodies. They do not OWN us!

Maybe you missed the bit where I said 'it doesn't prevent the consumption of same if that's what you want to do.'

God-given rights? You're having a laugh?
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like my milk straight from the source. Mmmmmm breast milk
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I like my milk straight from the source. Mmmmmm breast milk

lol ewww
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The government does have an obligation to save people from themselves, because unlike your average person, their judgement regarding what we should and shouldn't eat is governed by doctors, dieticians, panels of scientists and decades of studies. They will always know more than any one person.

And beyond that, there will always be SOMEONE who will risk themselves, end up ill or hurt and then try to blame the FDA, the farmer, whoever. Lawyers get rich off that crap. And even if everyone in this thread would never, EVER sue the FDA because they drank raw milk and it went badly (cough), what happens when a well meaning mother gives raw milk to their children and one of them becomes drastically ill? What if there are complications for that child later in life, which means they decide to take legal action because that raw milk was available? The FDA HAVE to take into account these kinds of situations, because people will always try to blame someone else for their own willful ignorance.

And FYI - The FDA came into being to stop tricksters putting cocaine into elixirs sold to calm restive babies. I think we can all safely assume that a food and drug authority was necessary.

/rant
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I buy and drink it. It is delicious and DOES contain beneficial probiotics which pasteurizing eliminates. I will say, the farm that I buy from sends samples to a lab and publishes the results - they have never had harmful bacteria in their product, they use state of the art equipment, etc. While I think it should be our right to buy and consume whatever food products we want, it is important to be smart about it.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You don't have to refrigerate eggs in England because they don't have the same issues with salmonella there that there are in the States. The conditions are different with the way animals are raised that affect the safety of farm products. So assuming that "it's safe in x so it would be safe in y" is a false assumption.
  • AshleyNicolexo_
    Options
    One of my friends has a dairy farm and she had me try it and it was delicious!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Most farmers in the US that sell raw milk are not conventional farms. The milk I buy is from pastured cows, not feedlot cows. You can visit the farm if you like.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get my raw milk from a "cow share". I have a contract with a farmer in which I "bought" a share of his cow for $100, and I pay $35 a month for a gallon a week, plus a $10 delivery fee. So $45 a month for 4-5 gallons of milk. Expensive, but worth it to us!
  • tim_hilliard
    Options
    There is a ton of misinformation on this post. RAW milk is legal in many sates in the US. I drink it everyday, I ferment it on the counter and drink it for breakfast every morning. The person that posted 'facts' from the FDA is very misguided.
    The following goes against all REAL science and history:

"Below is from the FDA

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
    Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
    Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
    Pasteurization DOES save lives."
    All false, part of a propaganda campaign.
    Read: http://www.amazon.com/Untold-Story-Milk-Revised-Updated/dp/0979209528
    Check out: http://www.westonaprice.org/
    People, especially in America since 1913, have been bombarded with the most successful propaganda campaign to control our thoughts in the history of the world. Food 'safety' in the last one hundred years has been pushed on us yet now 1-3 get cancer, everyone has asthma, autism, obesity, heart disease etc. All caused by food, go back in history and see. Go back to pasture raised animal fats including dairy, stay away from fruits and vegetables that you didn't grow yourself and you will live long and healthy. All mega farmed foods are covered in chemicals that don't wash off, they absorb into the fruit/vegetable so I stick with RAW Milk, Raw Eggs, Raw Beef. Never been healthier, don't get sick, don't go to a doctor. Do your own research.

To answer your question: http://www.realmilk.com/where05.html#mn

Small farms, cows that go outside to pasture, grass fed and oat fed in the winter is best.
  • GaidenJade
    Options
    I buy and drink it. It is delicious and DOES contain beneficial probiotics which pasteurizing eliminates. I will say, the farm that I buy from sends samples to a lab and publishes the results - they have never had harmful bacteria in their product, they use state of the art equipment, etc. While I think it should be our right to buy and consume whatever food products we want, it is important to be smart about it.

^^^ This.

Personally I can't stand the taste of raw milk. I've had it, right form the cow and everything. However, I think that as long as we understand the risks for ourselves, then we should be free to eat or drink what we wish.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of misinformation on this post. RAW milk is legal in many sates in the US. I drink it everyday, I ferment it on the counter and drink it for breakfast every morning. The person that posted 'facts' from the FDA is very misguided.
    The following goes against all REAL science and history:

"Below is from the FDA

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
    Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
    Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
    Pasteurization DOES save lives."
    All false, part of a propaganda campaign.
    Read: http://www.amazon.com/Untold-Story-Milk-Revised-Updated/dp/0979209528
    Check out: http://www.westonaprice.org/
    People, especially in America since 1913, have been bombarded with the most successful propaganda campaign to control our thoughts in the history of the world. Food 'safety' in the last one hundred years has been pushed on us yet now 1-3 get cancer, everyone has asthma, autism, obesity, heart disease etc. All caused by food, go back in history and see. Go back to pasture raised animal fats including dairy, stay away from fruits and vegetables that you didn't grow yourself and you will live long and healthy. All mega farmed foods are covered in chemicals that don't wash off, they absorb into the fruit/vegetable so I stick with RAW Milk, Raw Eggs, Raw Beef. Never been healthier, don't get sick, don't go to a doctor. Do your own research.

To answer your question: http://www.realmilk.com/where05.html#mn

Small farms, cows that go outside to pasture, grass fed and oat fed in the winter is best.

Happy to believe the FDA, with it's host of peer-reviewed studies and hordes of scientists over a sensationalist book deal and a website that anyone can buy/start. You'd do well to learn how incredibly easy it is to a.) self-publish or b.) publish something anti-Big-government, since there appears to be no end of people willing to lap that up*.

*no pun intended
  • tim_hilliard
    Options
    That's a very interesting view, tell me more. I would like to know more about the raw data you have studied that the FDA uses to publish it's conclusions, I am very interested in your research into this. I am always looking for more studies that I can read the results of the raw findings. Let me know.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The government does have an obligation to save people from themselves, because unlike your average person, their judgement regarding what we should and shouldn't eat is governed by doctors, dieticians, panels of scientists and decades of studies. They will always know more than any one person.

And beyond that, there will always be SOMEONE who will risk themselves, end up ill or hurt and then try to blame the FDA, the farmer, whoever. Lawyers get rich off that crap. And even if everyone in this thread would never, EVER sue the FDA because they drank raw milk and it went badly (cough), what happens when a well meaning mother gives raw milk to their children and one of them becomes drastically ill? What if there are complications for that child later in life, which means they decide to take legal action because that raw milk was available? The FDA HAVE to take into account these kinds of situations, because people will always try to blame someone else for their own willful ignorance.

And FYI - The FDA came into being to stop tricksters putting cocaine into elixirs sold to calm restive babies. I think we can all safely assume that a food and drug authority was necessary.

/rant

First, we all must have personal responsibility. It is not the government's role to baby you through out your life. For instance, the government doesn't stop you from eating too much that's how most of us got to this site and the biggest driver of health care costs. Many of us here have taken personal responsibility to get control of our diet.

You think the government does a good job regulating food? What about all the listeria and e coli breakouts and recalls we hear about all the time? That is all USDA regulated food products.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @ tom Hilliard

I copied the text from the FDA website because I didn't see the benefit accrued from drinking raw milk with it's attendant risk over drinking pasteurised milk with the reduced risk. This information backs that up that opinion.

What part of it do you not agree with and why?
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's legal here in Texas. We get it from a local farmer who has a little shop on their farm.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i say buy a cow get a free pet then too :D! my mum has always wanted a pet cow.... *rolls eyes*

I think all this arguing is silly noone who likes raw milk is going to turn around and say yes yes your right im going to die i will never buy raw milk again, and noone who doesnt like it is going to turn round and say maybe your right i wont die ill start drinking raw milk,its just pointless... anyone can use google to find scary statistics or mass rejection of statistics, you will only find the feelings of the extreme views or ones that will benefit one way or the other those in the middle ground who have no financial interests dont care enough to write about it...

however i will add my own thoughts... people take this "everythings dirty" too far if we all listened to everything that some scientist ever said was bad none of us would ever eat drink or move from one spot. Someone mentioned they wouldnt give their children unwashed vegetables... really? if whats on the outsides is so bad the middles shouldnt be eaten too, they absorb stuff from around them after all..... but meh im country bumpkin i pull carrots and raddish give them a wipe on the grass (occasionally washed in the bird bath, dont tell my mum!!) and scoff em... guess im a gonner ;)
    x