Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles- The Continuation

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Ok so for the dry frying. I have never seen zero calorie cooking spray. When can I get it (in Australia?? )
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Ok so for the dry frying. I have never seen zero calorie cooking spray. When can I get it (in Australia?? )

In America, virtually all cooking sprays are 0 or near 0 calories. Just use the lowest you can find.
  • Don't know if this question was asked before but : Have you ever tried to dry fry non tofu based Shirataki noodles ? These are a little more rubbery ( and close to 0 calories ) so i'm wondering how it turned out :)
  • finallychelle
    Don't know if this question was asked before but : Have you ever tried to dry fry non tofu based Shirataki noodles ? These are a little more rubbery ( and close to 0 calories ) so i'm wondering how it turned out :)

Hundreds of times-- and they benefit greatly from the process, as well...!

-Chelle
  • Hi all, just wondering has anyone heard that they have a fishy taste ? really wanna try these but I'm a bit apprehensive x
  • Hi all, just wondering has anyone heard that they have a fishy taste ? really wanna try these but I'm a bit apprehensive x

They don't have a fishy taste just a fishy smell once you open the package. But it all goes away after you wash them, no after taste left. I wouldn't be able to eat them if i couldn't wash it off.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    I must be a weirdo cause I like the taste, smell & texture of them. I just give them a quick rinse with cold water then chuck em in with a stir fry veg mix, some king prawns & a bit of tamarind sauce. I eat them wet rather than dry but might give dry frying a try & bring them to work for lunch one day.
  • ebony__
    Sad to say after trying lots of different ways and lowering amounts and so on it appears I really am 'intolerant'
    Not going to stop me from recommending them to everyone else though and then bein jealous I can't eat them ;)
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    tried today fpr the first time, not bad at all! a bit rubbery, maybe i over cooked!
  • finallychelle
    Sad to say after trying lots of different ways and lowering amounts and so on it appears I really am 'intolerant'
    Not going to stop me from recommending them to everyone else though and then bein jealous I can't eat them ;)

How sad! :o(

I don't know how I'd maintain my weight without them...

Check out my amazing cauliflower mashed potato recipe as a great way to stay full on only a few calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279170-chelle-s-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you

Great post. Lots of info. One teensy weensy correction. You can have tofu noodles shipped to you. They just pack them with dry ice. I have had steak, fish, all kinds of perishables shipped. Just FYI.
  • ebony__

How sad! :o(

I don't know how I'd maintain my weight without them...

Check out my amazing cauliflower mashed potato recipe as a great way to stay full on only a few calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279170-chelle-s-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes

One of my other secret favorites is instant miso soup and then I ad spinach and more seaweed. Works out at about 40 cals a bowl and I have one or two a day and it really stops me from over eating
  • finallychelle
    So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you

Great post. Lots of info. One teensy weensy correction. You can have tofu noodles shipped to you. They just pack them with dry ice. I have had steak, fish, all kinds of perishables shipped. Just FYI.

Good to know!

At the time I wrote the original post I was unable to find anyone who shipped the tofu shirataki noodles. I'm glad that's changed!

I usually buy both kinds. I prefer the tofu shirataki but oftentimes like to prepare the zero calorie noodles when every calorie matters.

Thanks for the updated info!

-Chelle
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member

Good to know!

At the time I wrote the original post I was unable to find anyone who shipped the tofu shirataki noodles. I'm glad that's changed!

I usually buy both kinds. I prefer the tofu shirataki but oftentimes like to prepare the zero calorie noodles when every calorie matters.

Thanks for the updated info!

-Chelle

See e.g. (certainly not the best deal or anything, just for example) http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Shirataki-Noodles-Spaghetti-Shape/dp/B000AQFQC6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347234161&sr=8-2&keywords=tofu+shirataki+noodles The shipping is $10.90 because it is shipped expedited with the ice packs. But, there are LOTS of places that sell and ship them online.
  • hi all,ive been dreaming of a product like this.yes, i need to be full. and your right. you cant diet and not be full. im an Atkins failure. lost 160 pounds and put it back on,double time.ive just sterted with the noodles and love them.im going to experment with this dry fry method next. i have no problem rinsed and stir fried. has anyone tried them after a little time ina food dehydrater ?? or even pre-baking them? i plan on trying this.as far as folks saying they get a "fishy taste" try making a fishy dish !! add some shrimp or fish sauce to a stir fry. a little soy sauce goes a long way too.:glasses:
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Bump
  • dodie62
    dodie62 Posts: 66 Member
    Bump!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    hi all,ive been dreaming of a product like this.yes, i need to be full. and your right. you cant diet and not be full. im an Atkins failure. lost 160 pounds and put it back on,double time.ive just sterted with the noodles and love them.im going to experment with this dry fry method next. i have no problem rinsed and stir fried. has anyone tried them after a little time ina food dehydrater ?? or even pre-baking them? i plan on trying this.as far as folks saying they get a "fishy taste" try making a fishy dish !! add some shrimp or fish sauce to a stir fry. a little soy sauce goes a long way too.:glasses:

Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou: (I saw you just joined and that that was your very first post).
  • TY Chelle for the great info! :flowerforyou: