Horrible customer service experience NSV!

Options
I had the worst customer service experience ever when I went to walmart to pick up a couple of things for our trip to Maine a week and a half ago. We were going to make the trip driving and needed some snacks, supplies, and electronic equipment so my Love dropped me off at the front door and stayed out in the van with the dog and our 5 year old. About halfway through the store I realized that we'd forgotten the present for the wedding we were attending at home and asked him to go back for it.

That meant that I had extra time to kill when I got done finding everything that we needed. I went into the clothes in the junior's department because I saw some cute shirts on sale. I picked out a shirt and was bent down examining a pair of on clearance $9 faded glory low rise jeans when a sales associate approached me. She appeared to be in her late 50's or early 60's and at first glance appeared genial and grandmotherly. However, the words that came out of her mouth were anything but genial.

“Excuse me, miss but the woman's department is over there,” she said pointing to my right.

I'm sure I looked shocked because she felt the need to elaborate.

“This is the junior's department, it only goes up to a size 17 or so. I'm sure you'll have much better luck finding something in the plus sizes.”

By the time she was finished uttering these words, I was back to my senses and pissed but I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt.

“I'm sorry but I wear a size 16 and I don't really like the style of the jeans womens' department.”

She stood her ground despite the jeans in my hand that were my size.

“Well, we have some new ones in and I'm just sure you'll have much better luck over there. The juniors department wasn't really made for women like you.”

Breaking point.

“I'm sorry but your perception must be really off because I wear a size 16 and am perfectly fine fitting into clothes here. Maybe next time you shouldn't approach a woman just because you think she's fat. I could have been shopping for anyone. I'm asking you to leave me alone now.”

“I was only trying to help,” she muttered as she turned around to walk away.

“And I didn't ask for any help or appear to be lost so thanks anyway.”

After she left I put my jeans in my cart and wandered around trying not to cry before I started to think that maybe she was right and I should go try on my jeans just to make sure. So, I did. They fit. Take that stupid, rude, granny b!tch!

When I got up to the register to pay, I told the cashier about my experience. She was a bit on the chunky side too and she was livid. In fact, she knew just who I was talking about. Without my prompting, she went and got a manager. I told her too and almost cried while relating it.

The fact of the matter is that I may not be able to prevent people from calling me fat in my everyday life. I may not even be able to prevent employees of the places that I visit from thinking that. However, I sure as hell can expect to not be treated like **** or singled out because of my weight at the places where I chose to spend my money and if I can prevent someone else from being treated like that, I sure as hell will.

Honestly, I could understand if you're reading this and don't understand why it's a NSV for me. The fact is that before I started losing weight, even if I had been able to fit into the clothes in that department, I would have simply walked away. I would have been too embarrassed to stand my ground. Today, I have more confidence in myself. I'm not going to let myself get pushed around.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    good for you! congrats, and enjoy rocking those jeans!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    good for you! congrats, and enjoy rocking those jeans!!

Thank you! Despite being Walmart jeans they're awesome!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How rude! You have more restraint than me girl!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You are my hero!
  • CaLaurie
    Options
    You go!! Yay for you, especially for telling her to her face & then telling the manager!
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I completely understand, and I'm glad that you had the confidence to stand up for yourself! And that your jeans fit just like you thought they would! :tongue:
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You bet thats an nsv!!:flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I had something very similar happen to me, except it was about the clothes I was already wearing.

I was mortified and so shocked that I couldn't say ANYTHING to this worker. All i could do is walk to customer service to get a manager. I broke down CRYING like crazy. The manager and another worker was very nice and supportive. They also knew exactly who I was talking about.

It is just like...your going about your day, minding your own - when someone who has no ability to keep their mouths shut has to be there.

I am so proud of you for being able to say something.

Actually, now that I think back...i did go back to this lady and told her how i felt...she got defensive because I mentioned that she will be talking to her manager about it...but all i remember is the fact I couldn't say anything at first.
  • PrincessMiriamele
    Options
    I just wanted to say well done too. It was an awful experience, but I feel you stood up for us all, so thank you!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    good for you! thats so awesome that you've gained the confidence to stand your ground to inconsiderate a-holes like that person!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'd wear those damn jeans every single time I walked into that store :drinker:
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This is unbelievable!! Well done you for sticking up for yourself!! People are so rude!!
  • ktull68
    Options
    Kudos for you. I would have been so caught off gaurd that I would not have responded as well as you did. How hurtful. I'm glad the manager was involved. Don't let the evil few get to you.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I commend you on standing up for yourself, and doing so in a respectable manner.

Well done! Enjoy the denims!
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you...great job!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I would've popped her one in the mouth.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That's a great story. Way to go, sticking up for yourself. I would've probably rammed granny with my cart.
  • happypath101
    Options
    I think you handled that really well. You were firm and to the point without getting overly emotional (not that that isn't an emotional conversation, My God!). I think it's great that you spoke up at the register and to the manager as well. That was the right thing to do. Maybe you've prevented someone else from having to go through that. I'm sorry you had to go through that, though.
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you! Way to go!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what a ***** i would have slapped her one.. you got more control then me
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!