Horrible customer service experience NSV!

Options

Replies

• Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    MAJOR KUDO's for defending yourself and all of us who are not a size 2. She had no right speaking to you in that manner. I applaud you for not raising the roof over it as well. I guarantee had it been me everyone in the freakin store would have heard it and everyone would have been alerted to her.

Whatta buncha crap
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Good for you to have the confidence to stand up for yourself!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wtg!
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had the worst customer service experience ever when I went to walmart to pick up a couple of things for our trip to Maine a week and a half ago. We were going to make the trip driving and needed some snacks, supplies, and electronic equipment so my Love dropped me off at the front door and stayed out in the van with the dog and our 5 year old. About halfway through the store I realized that we'd forgotten the present for the wedding we were attending at home and asked him to go back for it.

That meant that I had extra time to kill when I got done finding everything that we needed. I went into the clothes in the junior's department because I saw some cute shirts on sale. I picked out a shirt and was bent down examining a pair of on clearance $9 faded glory low rise jeans when a sales associate approached me. She appeared to be in her late 50's or early 60's and at first glance appeared genial and grandmotherly. However, the words that came out of her mouth were anything but genial.

“Excuse me, miss but the woman's department is over there,” she said pointing to my right.

I'm sure I looked shocked because she felt the need to elaborate.

“This is the junior's department, it only goes up to a size 17 or so. I'm sure you'll have much better luck finding something in the plus sizes.”

By the time she was finished uttering these words, I was back to my senses and pissed but I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt.

“I'm sorry but I wear a size 16 and I don't really like the style of the jeans womens' department.”

She stood her ground despite the jeans in my hand that were my size.

“Well, we have some new ones in and I'm just sure you'll have much better luck over there. The juniors department wasn't really made for women like you.”

Breaking point.

“I'm sorry but your perception must be really off because I wear a size 16 and am perfectly fine fitting into clothes here. Maybe next time you shouldn't approach a woman just because you think she's fat. I could have been shopping for anyone. I'm asking you to leave me alone now.”

“I was only trying to help,” she muttered as she turned around to walk away.

“And I didn't ask for any help or appear to be lost so thanks anyway.”

After she left I put my jeans in my cart and wandered around trying not to cry before I started to think that maybe she was right and I should go try on my jeans just to make sure. So, I did. They fit. Take that stupid, rude, granny b!tch!

When I got up to the register to pay, I told the cashier about my experience. She was a bit on the chunky side too and she was livid. In fact, she knew just who I was talking about. Without my prompting, she went and got a manager. I told her too and almost cried while relating it.

The fact of the matter is that I may not be able to prevent people from calling me fat in my everyday life. I may not even be able to prevent employees of the places that I visit from thinking that. However, I sure as hell can expect to not be treated like **** or singled out because of my weight at the places where I chose to spend my money and if I can prevent someone else from being treated like that, I sure as hell will.

Honestly, I could understand if you're reading this and don't understand why it's a NSV for me. The fact is that before I started losing weight, even if I had been able to fit into the clothes in that department, I would have simply walked away. I would have been too embarrassed to stand my ground. Today, I have more confidence in myself. I'm not going to let myself get pushed around.

You go girl! What a hateful witch that woman! I am glad you politely told her to kick rocks and reported her.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'd wear those damn jeans every single time I walked into that store :drinker:

This! If she still works there, you should strut your stuff in those jeans!
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    She was just trying to help you and now she might lose her job and her ability to pay for her family and her home? And as I presume you're American, her health insurance, meaning she might die because she tried to help you? Great.

Also, for all you feel like she's judging you for being 'fat', you've judged her, and her trying to help coming across as offensive to you might have been a sign of Asperger's or any number of things.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Despite being Walmart jeans they're awesome!

Walmart jeans fit me the best!! Faded Glory jeans were rated very high by Consumer Reports a few years ago. :)

As for the rude and horrible way you were treated ... I am just in shock and am so sorry you were treated that way. I would have held my ground, too, but would have crumbled and began bawling as soon as I saw my husband. GOOD for you for informing management!
  • brizzle125
    Options
    Way to go, people suck. To bad she didn't see you fit into the jeans haha
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar thing happen to me too. I was looking at 'skinny' jeans because i wanted to wear my tall wedge sandals. This ***** kept eyeing me, so instead of the dull jeans i was looking to get, I got the brightest lime green ones (they're in my profile even) and I've made it a point to wear them the 3 times i've gone to Target since =)

I would have never done that before losing weight, but whose business is it anyway? They just see fat girls, they don't see that we're busting ours *kitten* to lose weight. They don't see any disorder or disease that we may have which is contributing to our fatness. People are just so judgmental and ignorant.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine what her problem was! She is only employed due to you spending your hard earned $$ there so it would be in her benefit to be a little nicer! Witch! You did everything right. Cheers & enjoy those jeans!
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    You did the perfect thing! You stood your ground! Confidence is the one thing we are all looking for in our journeys & I would say you have hit your stride!! Congrats! Don't ever let that feeling go away!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see the big deal. Perhaps she was just trying to help and you are a bit sensitive about your weight? Based on your comment, size is very important to you, so maybe you read her the wrong way?

Not trying to be argumentative, just providing a different perspective.

I often find that my reaction to others is more a reflection of my personal insecurities or sensitivities than the other person's intent...

I mean, it isn't like she said, "Hey, f@t @$$, your section is over there."
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You go girl, way to stand up for yourself! You rock those jeans and be proud of yourself!
  • pinkpanthers1995
    pinkpanthers1995 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is a total NSV for sure. You handled it perfectly and granny should be ashamed of herself. I'm so sorry you went thru it but you can def be so proud of the way you handled everything. You are a hero to all of us! :flowerforyou:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wow.....just wow...

KUDOS to you for not standing for such treatment. You definitely scored a victory for ALL of us!!
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What an idiot!! People can be so stinkin' rude. I'm impressed at how you handled yourself, you should be very proud. I bet you looked awesome in those jeans. Wish I wore a 16:) I was at Walmart this week buying socks and underpants for son...wonder if she would have shown me to the women's intimates. LOL!!
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    good for you!!!!!!
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You go girl! I don't understand what some people are thinking, sometimes! I would have said the same thing to the lady and would have gone to the manager myself! :)
  • Nessi37
    Nessi37 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! You handled this way better than I would have been able to!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    She was just trying to help you and now she might lose her job and her ability to pay for her family and her home? And as I presume you're American, her health insurance, meaning she might die because she tried to help you? Great.

Also, for all you feel like she's judging you for being 'fat', you've judged her, and her trying to help coming across as offensive to you might have been a sign of Asperger's or any number of things.

Just so you know, I work at a Walmart that women wouldn't have lost her job. You don't get fired that easily, she probably got a slap on the wrist, or written up. If she's done similar things at least 5 times in the past year then, yes, she would have been fired. What she did was WRONG and Walmart doesn't want their employees to behave in that way, so this women was totally in the right to tell a manager. Now the women knows not to make the same mistakes, and hurt someone else with her 'help.'

Also, judging by the amount of people who have either had it happen and reacted similarly, or at least agree with her feelings.. does everyone here have Asperger's too? lol!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!