Appetite suppressant?

Options
124»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all the advice, I got a lot of great suggestions.
    BTW, I thought this was a support website?

it is a support website. And I was being supportive. I was saying you don't need them. That you can do it without taking pills. i don't know how that isn't being supportive.

You're being an authoritarian. No one "needs" chocolate either, but there are plenty of threads on how to enjoy chocolate now aren't there?

No, I was in no way being an authoritarian. If you assume that is what I was being, that's on you. People assume things on the internet all of the time. All I said was she doesn't need them. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Do this! Don't do that!"

You are trying to sound like her mom. If you don't approve of using herbal supplements, then don't continue replying to a thread where the OP is asking for suggestions on herbal supplements. :wink:
  • rollieorial
    rollieorial Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best appetite suppressant for me is; stay away from high carb meals. If you can get through the first week, you won't feel hungry. It's the sugar most of the time. When you eat high carbs (sugar), your body thinks it needs more after the carb/sugar high wears off. I usually stick to protein, veggies and a small amount of complex carbs for my meals. I am never hungry and I eat 1200-1300 calories a day. You will also find you get to eat more if you eat this way.

Edit: Also, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you can't depend on drugs. You need to learn to make healthy, nutritious meals as a change of lifestyle.

Ditto. Try eating Primal and give Intermittent Fasting a try. Knowing you can survive hunger pangs for an extended period of time will help a lot. Good luck!
  • TheNewReen
    TheNewReen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lots of water before each meal and I take a cinnamon/ chromium supplement. It says to take it twice a day, but when I took it twice, I wouldn't be hungry at all for most of the day. So I take it during dinner. (night time cravings are my personal evil.) It helps alot and in addition its a great supplement for diabetics or those of us with PCOS etc. :)
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

it is a support website. And I was being supportive. I was saying you don't need them. That you can do it without taking pills. i don't know how that isn't being supportive.

You're being an authoritarian. No one "needs" chocolate either, but there are plenty of threads on how to enjoy chocolate now aren't there?

No, I was in no way being an authoritarian. If you assume that is what I was being, that's on you. People assume things on the internet all of the time. All I said was she doesn't need them. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are trying to sound like her mom. If you don't approve of using herbal supplements, then don't continue replying to a thread where the OP is asking for suggestions on herbal supplements. :wink:

Lol, I wasn't trying to be her mom. Appetite suppressants are scary. Hence the reason said to stay away. I know many people who have taken them, stopped, taken them, stopped. And ended up with major health problems because of the ingredients in them. She asked for advice, I gave my two cents. Just because they are herbal or over the counter doesn't necessarily make them safe or ok. And by saying she can do it without them, I was trying to be supportive, not her mother. :wink: :drinker: :laugh:
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For me, glucomannan worked the best. it's a fiber that expands in the stomach. that, combined with mucho water was able to keep my hunger in check. Plus i liked that it's not expensive and not a stimulant.

from wiki:

Glucomannan is a water-soluble polysaccharide that is considered a dietary fiber. It is a hemicellulose component in the cell walls of some plant species. Glucomannan is a food additive used as an emulsifier and thickener. Products containing glucomannan, marketed under a variety of brand names, are also sold as nutritional supplements for constipation, obesity, high cholesterol, acne vulgaris and type 2 diabetes.

Although there is some clinical support for potential health benefits, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved any product containing glucomannan for the treatment of these medical conditions. Health Canada has authorized some products containing glucomannan for the purposes of appetite reduction, weight management, treatment of constipation and management of high cholesterol levels.

This is wonderful! Thank you so much

Love Glucomannan/Konjac Fiber!!! I use it and it helps keep me feeling satiated for so much longer. I get mine from Amazon for under $10 bucks! I've used different brands and Nature's Way is the best I've used!
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who receives an appetite suppressant from a weight loss doctor. He gradually weans her off of her dose, and she drops a lot of weight. Once she's off of it, she gains it all back and has repeated this cycle 3 times.

I understand you want this to jump start your weight loss. Appetite suppressants are not designed to be taken forever, and I think they alter people's perception of the work involved it takes to maintain (which is the biggest battle imo).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Lol, I wasn't trying to be her mom. Appetite suppressants are scary. Hence the reason said to stay away. I know many people who have taken them, stopped, taken them, stopped. And ended up with major health problems because of the ingredients in them. She asked for advice, I gave my two cents. Just because they are herbal or over the counter doesn't necessarily make them safe or ok. And by saying she can do it without them, I was trying to be supportive, not her mother. :wink: :drinker: :laugh:

Well, maybe they scare *you* for whatever reason, but they are perfectly safe, so long as you don't overdose.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Lots of water before each meal and I take a cinnamon/ chromium supplement. It says to take it twice a day, but when I took it twice, I wouldn't be hungry at all for most of the day. So I take it during dinner. (night time cravings are my personal evil.) It helps alot and in addition its a great supplement for diabetics or those of us with PCOS etc. :)

Chromium seems to work for some people. It didn't seem to help my mom at all, so I haven't tried it yet.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds suppress the appetite a bit because they hold so much water and expand in the stomach - they are also really nutritious! I've heard that the herb Hoodia works as well.

I do agree with others about learning good habits, however!
  • rrolling27
    rrolling27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Vi Trim from Visalus! Its amazing! Its a clear liquid that I put in any drink, water, juice, protein shakes. It controls my hunger on big work out days or days when I am just hungry. Message me Id be more than happy to help you get some! Ive lost 100lbs too! Way to go!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In the interest of answering your question - if your looking to feel fuller you can buy PGX Daily - its a fibre supplement that will fill you up - it doesnt repress anything but the fibre fills you. I dont use it - i've tried it and you will feel fuller.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Dude, you don't have to tell me. I have been keeping up on the ephedra battle from the beginning. You can not get herbal ephedra in the US. Ephedrine is NOT ephedra - aka ma huang. You can get it in China, and likely there are small caches of it in the US. (Since the government is already at war against anyone who uses certain drugs or herbs, there is a black market for just about all of them.) But with the easy availability of ephedrine, you are hard-pressed to find it in its herbal form. (So much so that I am seriously considering growing it, along with some Korean Red Ginseng!)

why would you want it in the impure, unknown potency of herbal form when its easily available in pure, measured, consistent, regulated pill form?
    a given quantity of herbal ephedra could have anywhere from 2mg to 30mg of ephedrine... meanwhile something like primatene can give you the exact same 25mg of ephedrine each time.