Really work? You're a Jerk.

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

Thank you!
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I wouldn't say your work is a ~jerk. They're not doing it just to sabotage you... You can easily say no.
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Obviously she was joking, as noted by the winky face at the end of her entry. Clearly she does not think they are really jerks. It is just not convenient for her and she posted her thoughts and feelings in this forum as a safe haven/place for her to vent amongst her peers who are enduring similar hardships.

Perhaps doughnuts are not your weakness, but being considerate and supportive clearly is. Next time, please post CONSTRUCTIVE, positive comments on this board. That is what this is about, not about attacking one another... even if she was being serious, which I do not believe, but will state for the sake of argument, positive thoughts and recommendations would go a lot further than your harsh criticism, DAD.

Thank you!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I love how people say...It's only a donut. One donut leads to two which occasionally leads to three which very rarely leads to four. It happens. We know how it goes. It's not just a donut and you know it! You know, the spread isn't just donuts...there is cake, dips, random **** in a crockpot...come on. just a donut... Who just eats ONE donut especially if there are different kinds and other stuff?

I have the same problem at my work. Tomorrow, we are suppose to have a carry-in for a co-worker who is leaving. It started somewhat healthy - a baked potato bar. THEN, because people couldn't think of toppings to top a baked potato...it turned into "bring whatever you want....aka please bring cupcakes, I got the cake, someone please bring chips & dip...blah blah blah)

My opinion, indulge or don't. Personally, I don't want the temptation so I avoid it. I also indulge every now which was Sunday...so I'm good. Overall, if you want it, do it. One day isn't going to kill you
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    It's like an alcoholic being in a bar. You want to stay away from temptation as much as possible, and people passing around smelly treats doesn't help. It's hard exercising that self-control all day while you're stressed at work. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Thank you!
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    I usually warn they new staff about the 10 pounds everyone seems to gain the first year they are with us. Lots of food in our breakroon combined with the fact that we must actually sit all day to do our job. Ususally in our industry you are up and about more, but our specific discipline has you sitting in one spot all day, so we are extremely sedentary.

I insigated a personal rule to help me cut down on the goodies - if the item is home baked, then I will have a small amout as usually this is a much better quality treat. If it is store bought - then I just don't bother - that item is usually not that good anyway and full of "not real food items" unlike the home bkaed treat which is made from real food.

This "rule" helps me control what I eat but still feel like I am participating in the celebrations.

That is a great rule!
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

Thank you!

^^^What she said.^^^

The OP came to a safe place to vent her frustration. Thats exactly what she should do.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm the boss and I banned parties involving food a few years ago but the staff found ways around the ban (what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).

Wow - that's a bit of an over-reaction, IMHO. Eating together is a very social thing to do. How about just encouraging them to bring healthier snacks rather than banning all food?
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    They're handing out Krispy Kreme doughnuts at work tomorrow as a "thanks" to my team.
    They do this all the time here. Just 2 days ago they had 4 (YES 4!) sheet cakes in the break room for August birthdays!

Maybe I'll start taking the long way to the restrooms on my break....jerks :tongue:

I think a fruit tray or veggie tray might be a good thing to bring in. Nice Change and things might change. As for the people that bring in the constant Dozen donuts nothing says loving like putting your finer into each and every one of them poke them and leave. Do this three or four times you would be surprised how the donuts do not seem to show up as often. :devil::laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I decided about a year ago that I was kind of being a jerk by not participating in that kind of stuff. Day before yesterday, we had a large staff meeting...there at always donuts...I had one. Yesterday was someone's birthday, so I had a red velvet cupcake to celebrate. That was two in a row, but normally it's once a month or so. If you are dieting and exercising, an occasional breaking bread with people is not going to blow your diet. You don't have to eat it, but even with those indulgences, I hit my goal weight this week.
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I never had any issues with food, but Krispy Kreme glazed donuts when they are fresh from the roller... How can anyone not just lose all control over that?

And no, the store-bought ones are nowhere near the same. However, you can microwave the boxed ones from the store and improve them dramatically.

My company started as a small-medium privately held company. We had donuts (almost) every Friday and free coffee every day, all day. The bigger the company got, the less appreciation they showed.

Now we're down to a single cup of coffee in the morning before 9:00am. No other appreciation, at all, ever.

So yeah, enjoy the appreciation and just do some extra cardio! :)
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    Rather drastic view. Its almost as though you are at Guantánamo Bay and being Donut Boarded....
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Exactly...you are the one in control of what goes in your mouth. Unless they force you to eat it...it's not a biggie....make your choice and let others make theirs.
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options

BUMP... support is key!!!
  • rickgomez2003
    Options
    They do that same at some of the customer sites i go to. It is definitely hard to resist.
  • ambrwaves27
    Options
    We have an ice cream social where Schwan brings out trucks full of free ice cream. . . it is right after the wellness meeting. . . :grumble:
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    I work in a winery. There's constantly cheese and baguette. Oh yeah... and wine :)
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    If you don't want to feel as guilty just cut one in half, immediately throw half away and then just enjoy the remaining portion. That way you have that lil sugar fix for 1/2 the calories! :-) We all have our treats here and there and the office world brings treats (same thing here at my job so I can relate, lol).
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Someone offering you a doughnut is being a jerk?
    I bet you are fun to be around

haha
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Exactly!