Beautiful Blues 1/26/10

Options

Replies

• Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Blues... has anyone of you all ever done a cleanse or detox?? I am considering doing one to help with tummy bloating and digestion. I understand its not a quick weight loss pill, but I always feel so bloated and my digestion (errr...ummm.... bowl movements) isn't often enough. Interested in your thoughts?
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Taradise, my first suspicion would be that you are not getting enough fiber. I have to get between 20 and 30 gms a day to stay regular. I checked your diary and you have not been watching that, I would make the change in the diary and start there. Secondly make sure that you are getting at least 8 glasses of water a day the fiber and water are what make things move. To be completely honest I don't believe in cleanses, I don't believe they are worth it. I once watched a discovery health video that showed a study on cleansing. One group did a vigorous cleanse, drinking nasty sounding shakes every day and following a specific cleanse the other group just ate a healthy diet. There was not a nominal difference between the groups at the end of the study. In fact if I remember right those who ate healthy felt better and looked better at the end. They might have even lost more weight but I don't remember for sure.

Good luck and don't forget to go for whole grains. :flowerforyou:

And BTW if you decide you need to up your fiber, go slow. Otherwise you will be bloated...:blushing:
    :laugh:
  • Taradise
    Options
    debnu1 - Thank you so much for your response. I truly value your opinion. I went ahead and added fiber and iron to my food diary so I can keep track of both.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    OMG all I want to do today is snack. I have already had an ensure drink plus a kellogs special k protein drink and pretzels. I blame TOM for this but I just can't control myself :grumble:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Taradise-prunes, metamucil, lots of water. I never realized that the whey protein drinks would be the blame, but of course-cheese! I hear ya-the worst is stepping on the scale seeing your weight up too.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm 143.4-did the last chance workout with the show last night at the gym. I know I missed the chart. I'll try to remember on Mondays it's weigh in, right.
  • debnu1
    Options
    OMG all I want to do today is snack. I have already had an ensure drink plus a kellogs special k protein drink and pretzels. I blame TOM for this but I just can't control myself :grumble:

To get all philosophical on you--look deep and see what your body really needs, are you tired, angry, sad, bored. Or maybe your metabolism is up and you need something substantial. Liquids never satisfy me. I need something solid, protein and carb, to satisfy me. Then stick some water in to fill the gaps and I am good. Just a thought

Taradise you are more than welcome. I bet you were surprised when you looked through what your diary was saying. I was at first. I love the fiber one yogurts--50 calories and 5 grms of fiber each. Very tasty!! :love:

hmo4, I will lookf for your weight on Monday. Keep up the great work!
  • smadag1
    Options
    All of a sudden it was like someone flipped a switch I no longer want to snack and I have a renwed purpose, I WANT to go for a run when I get home even tho it will be dark and cold. I don't know what happened but I have motivation again. I better take advantage of it while I can. I saw a year long calander and started thinking of all the ways I could use it to track my workouts and my weigh in's. Whatever happened to me I am glad it did I needed this a long time ago :drinker:
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Taradise- I second what debnu said. I have issues with constipation but they're now gone. I tried different things like upping fiber, more water, etc. Prunes, veggies, fruits, beans, flax seeds, whole grains have lots of fiber. Also, if you are taking a multi vitamin with iron, the iron makes people constipated. If after adding all these things, nothing changes, it might mean you are sensitive to a particular food that is making you bloated. I have now been about 2 months off gluten, oats, corn, and milk, and I feel much better both emotionally and physically. I think the body should be treated as a whole in terms of looking at the physical symptoms and emotional. Oh, I also have started having 2 TBSP of almond butter and I am now going to the bathroom 2x a day. Sorry this is gross, but before I would go like 3x a week. Ouch.
    Anyhow, in terms of colons, cleanses, I have never done it. I have read some research indicating that colon cleanses goes against the natural body process. I read alot about Raw foodists and they are really all for it. Some I think , also over do it. I am intrigued though, with this topic. What I have done is raw vegetable juice fasts for 2 weeks at most and I really felt my body cleanse itself. It's kinda tough on the body though I think. I prefer though eating healthy, and just elimination foods that cause toxins to the body like sugars, junk food, and "white flour"...etc...

smadag- A few days before my TOM I am hungrier than usual. I just feed my body what it needs. To be honest, I am watching what I eat today, but I do not ever really go hungry. If my body is hungry than I feed it what it needs. There are certain foods though that will make you hungry quicker like: "white flours" and simple sugars. If you want to stay satisfied longer eat foods that are whole grains, have fiber, and protein. Hope this helps.

Anyhow, I just drank like 13 cups of water...heheh.. wow! Today I did core synergistics for 60 minutes and I have never done that before. I was sweating bullets doing push ups...and stuff. Tonight I'm planning to go to bed at 9:00pm so I can get back on schedule. Last night I went to bed at 10:00pm and I was just lying in bed, and finally fell asleep at 1:00am. I guess the body needs to gradually get back to shape.

Have a great day all!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise today however will be exercising to the great Jillian tomorrow. I'm dreading it just thinking about it however I will be doing it. I'm getting more and more fusterated with my weight. i know I have to give it time. Other things are making me upset also today so I'm sure this just went with the things. My hubby is going doing the taxes and OMG people. We were told that with my disabilty money we didn't have to hold money out and well we did. yeppers what a great taxe season its going to be for us this year. Sleeping for me isn't going to happen I don't think.

almomay- wonderful job on the workout. I'm so feeling you on the sleep thing. I can't get my sleep schedule right.

I'm going around tomorrow to get my fat checked out and maybe I will check and see if anyone has any spin classes.
  • Taradise
    Options
    debnu1, almomay: Thank you both for your insightful advice! I will take you up on it. I'll take a closer look at the fiber my body is getting. yes, almomay - I do take a supplement with iron, and I also take a standard just iron pill. A couple of years ago I was found to be very anemic, from then on I have taken iron pills daily. I understand the constipation iron can cause, I focus on drinking a lot of water to get things moving. I've always had a problem with going to the bathroom often enough. But I haven't truly focused on the food I'm eating and the amount of fiber I'm getting. So I'll work on that. Thanks again.

smadag1 - the TOM does crazy things to us. From one extreme to another. So glad that you are on a happy extreme now!

j_g4ever - You are doing a great job!! Despite the frustration with the scale, you continue to keep on moving and eating healthy. You haven't given in!! High Five to you!! :drinker:

I am proud of my self this morning because I woke up early and did a 30 day shred workout before work. I am still planning to head to the gym after work as well. I think the AM work out gave me a little more energy to start my day.

Here's to another healthy, happy day Blues!!
  • smadag1
    Options
    Did not get my run in last night, by the time I made dinner and put laundry aways plus did the dishes it was too late and I was exhausted. Oh well I will plan on doing something tonight.

What kind of snacks do you guys eat that keep you satisfied between meals? Right now I drink and Ensure for my morning snack but I just found Kellogs special K protein drinks so I am going to give them a try but my worst snacking urges come in the afternoon around 2:30-3pm. I am still trying to controll my snacking while I am bored but I know that will take time and will power.
  • Taradise
    Options
    What kind of snacks do you guys eat that keep you satisfied between meals?

-100 cal popcorn
    -apples
    -bananas
    -yogurt with 1/2 cup of fruit (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
    -Light string cheese
    -Special K Crackers--Italian Tomato and Herb
    -mini packs of raisins
    + Lots of water with each :drinker:
  • smadag1
    Options
    I just said NO to the donut

One of our salesman brought in donuts, my original reaction was to go get one but I fought it and now i don't want one. I started thinking about all the sugar and junk that goes into making them and they just don't sound good anymore.

I am now going to drink my choclate Ensure
  • debnu1
    Options
    feel free to check out my diary. I like to have a carb paired with a dairy or protein serving. A banana and PB, nuts with raisins and a few dark chocolate chips, yogurt mixed with cottage cheese. That sort of thing. The interesting thing I have really found is that if I am sure to have protein with my breakfast I am less hungry the rest of the day. I also try to spread my meals out so i know that every three hours I can eat, by doing that and eating a later lunch--around one, I am much more satisfied. I used to get really hungry between 2 and 5 where nothing seemed to satisfy me and then I wasn't hungry for dinner. Now I find that I am just hungry enough for dinner and not starving before hand. Any way. My two cents. :flowerforyou:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Taradise - I did a cleanse once ... I can't remember what it was called, but it's the one where you drink water with maple syrup, lemon and cayenne pepper. Disgusting! You're also supposed to drink a big cup of warm sea salt water in the mornings to "get things moving," but I could never get it down. In the evenings, they recommended an herbal laxative tea - preferably chocolate. I tried that and don't recall it really working, per se, but it was actually pretty tasty. You might want to try that just for a little extra help!! :flowerforyou: When I did the cleanse, my body was still around 280 pounds and in the worst shape ... so I think that may be why the herbal tea didn't work. Good luck!!

Well ... I did a bad thing this morning. :embarassed: I have been stressed about the possibility of losing my job this summer ... I work for the government and we're facing $4.5 million in budget cuts from the state. So, I felt it building all week ... each day I just felt *so* hungry ... and I've fought it off every day except for today. This morning I wanted to eat everything in sight. And, I did a pretty good job of it, too!! In addition to my wheat bread, egg, fiber one yogurt and cream of wheat, I also had ........ cheese, salt and vinegar potato chips and vanilla wafers. :sick: I've added my food up for the day and cut out a couple things. I was planning to workout this evening to the tune of about 400 calories, but it looks like I'll have to double my workout to make up for my binge this morning. :frown: And, ya know what? I don't feel any less stressed ... lol
  • Taradise
    Options
    smadag1 - great job saying No!!! You didn't let that donut beat you. High Five!

lcorrell14 - thanks for the info. That certainly doesn't sound like something I want to do. I've decided to take a closer look at the macro-nutrients I am getting. Sorry about all the stress you've had. But I will commend you for tracking your food, and making up for it with exercise. We are human, we make mistakes.

So after looking at my nutrients in my food diary. I noticed I am way over on Sodium. Dang it! I tracked it down to the packaged lunch meats I have on my sandwich everyday. I hadn't realized how high in sodium they were. Ok, well I love having a sandwich for lunch, so I need some low sodium sandwich ideas. I found two so far:
    -homemade egg salad (1 hard boiled egg, 1 Tbsp light sour cream) sandwich
    -Avocado and tomato sandwich

Do you all have any other sandwich ideas that are low sodium??
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lcorrell- I know how you feel about the job stress. What I can say is to pretty much treat your body well and get lots of good nutrition, exercise, sunshine and water. I tend to eat more when I'm stressed. The economy is so tough nowadays so I know how you feel. We are here for you!

smadag- Right now my favorite snack that holds me for 2-4 hours is to take 2 Quaker rice cakes (salt free) and spread 2 TBSP of almond butter. It has healthy fats, has fiber, protein, whole grain in the rice cake, and yummy!!!

debnu- I also eat every 3-4 hours because if I don't I notice that my blood sugar dips and I get hungry, nervous, and when I get so hungry I am at a point that I'll eat anything in front of me without thinking. What I do is to have 3 main meals a day and snacks in between.

Taradise- Great job on your AM workout. By the way, I've been anemic all my life. I'm looking forward to getting a physical and seeing if it's gone now.

So I'm back to working out in the AM and got up at 6:00am this morning. I ran in the treadmill 30 mintues, 10 on elliptical, and 30 minutes of strength training, and I'm about to do 15 minutes of Ab ripper x from p90x.

Have a great day team!!!
  • debnu1
    Options
    I didn't eat protein with my breakfast today and I am dragging!:yawn: I am going to have to pay more attention to see if it makes that difference everytime. I have a lot to do and I just don't want to do anything. I have been getting up earlier and exercising too. It makes a big difference in my day if I exercise first thing in the morning.

HOpe you are all having a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been very busy, but I am home tonight. I'm glad too, because we are having a blizzard. Anyway, I'm doing well. I have stayed under my calories daily, and I've been swimming regularly, and gradually increasing the intensity of that.
    For anyone who sees my statuses, and saw today that I have not logged in for 3 days, I say RUBBISH! I have been on here every morning and every night, so don't worry about me "needing encouragement!" As Mark Twain said, reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. :laugh:
    Hope you all are doing well also. Here's to smart choices!