How do you squeeze in time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If it is important to you, you will find a way.

Most days, I get up a little earlier each morning. Sometimes I stay up a little later each night. If I have 10 minutes, I can go for a short walk or pick up a pair of dumbells or do some stretching.
  • beckyincharge
    Options
    In order to get a moderate to intense cardio/anerobic work-out, you have to find a slot of time in your day, AM or PM. That sucks, but it's true...

However! If you look at every movement or activity as an opportunity to burn calories, they all add up... when doing household chores, pick up the pace! Try cleaning your whole house in half the time, and you'll find yourself sweating and using up your calories... if you're sitting on the couch, finally have some time to yourself (kids and school or asleep) sit all the way back, lift your legs up, and do some sit-ups or leg lifts. You'll be surprised the effort that takes, while just watching TV! If you're at work (office, food service, wherever) find 2 minutes or 5 minutes to do some squats or jumping jacks, or again, leg lifts. It all adds up! If you keep it on your brain, you'll find ways to do it! Good luck, I can sympathize entirely...!
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:30am

Wow, that's commitment!! ;-)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Start with a 10 minute walk at lunch. Or take the stairs instead of an elevator. Work your way into a defined workout. Somewhere in your day you CAN give 10-45mins to exercise....if you want to.

I'm a full time college student so on campus instead of taking the elevator like the rest of my classmates I use the stairs. I park at the end of the parking lot (last open spot) instead of a closer spot so that I have to walk a little bit farther. I have disabilities but I still push myself to go farther every chance I get.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used to say this too (up to about 2 months ago). It's hard if you're a working mom, taking care of a family (including husband). I even have the luxury of working from home most days and still was saying "I don't have time to work out." But once I got in serious healthy/I'm-going-to-do-this mode, I found plenty of time. A couple days/week I go to the gym at 6:30 (5:45 today for spinning). When I get home, everyone is just waking up. Other days, I will take the kids to the track at the nearby school and walk. And some days I take a "long lunch" and head to the gym. I imagine it's harder if you are a single parent (the AM thing wouldn't work unless you worked out at home very quietly) or a working parent with a big commute. It's definitely hard to balance the quality family time with the much needed YOU time. But you can find ways. Even if it's just 30 minutes.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I totally needed to read this thread. Thank you for posting. I was doing so well with working out after work but like someone said I too was not getting dinner on the table til about 8 pm or we were eating out. ALOT. So I am about to cancel my gym membership. I have other things I can do at home and just ordered the Brazilian Buttlift. I will start getting up earlier to do my workouts as well. AT the present time, my alarm goes off at 530 am and I am up by 6. Get myself ready for work, get my twin 4 yr olds up and ready then we are out the door by 715. Off to daycare then work til 5. Pick them up at 530 (I work out side of town), get home and start dinner by 6. Eat and clean up from dinner and other household chores, baths and bed. I still don't make it to sleep till about 10-11. So my new goal is to set my alarm for 5 and get up no later than 530 and work on my diet. That too has been a fail as of late and I feel like total crap!
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym on my way home from work. I jump off the train one stop early and do an hour or two of classes and then jump back on the train to head home.
    I do this 3 days during the week and then spend a few hours at the gym on Saturday morning.
  • npeeks22
    npeeks22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whoo....your weight loss is reflecting that hard work!
  • jjshulou
    Options
    I asked this exact question when I first signed up. I am a mother of a 6, 2, and 1 year old and I work a full-time job, so I know what it's like to be tapped out. I am slowly finding time for me. I wake up a little earlier each morning and get in as much exercise as possible. Sometimes it's only 10 minutes before the baby gets up, but every little bit counts. I don't get a lunch break at work, so I try to do something with the kids after dinner. I found great kid friendly exercises on demand. Or I take them outside more, walk to the playground, pull them in the wagon etc. Getting up earlier sounded impossible to me, but I actually feel more energized throughout the day. Feel free to add me if you want. Good Luck!
  • wickedboots
    Options
    I am so impressed with MFP and it's members. You all are so insightful, share and give good advice. I found inspiration and solutions in each of your posts. Thank you.

I am working out my schedule for next week to workout on my lunch hour twice next week.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:30am

Same.
  • karobicheau
    karobicheau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old a 16 month old and I work full time. I understand how hard it is to squeeze it all in. In January I started waking up at 4:30am so I could get my gym workouts in before everyone else woke up. It was hard at first, but now it's just become part of my day, and I actually feel less tired when I wake up and workout!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If it's a priority you figure it out even if it means waking up at o'dark-thirty to get your training time in. I work, I go to grad school, I train for ultras and I have something that resembles a social life.
  • choochoomummy
    Options
    I cycle to and from work every day. I'm fitting in 30 day shred a few days a week as well. I'm thinking of starting ripped in 30. I get up pretty early (for me) already but I finish work at 4.30 so I can still cycle home and fit in another 30 mins. My lovely hubbie is carting the kids around and doing most of the cooking so it meanst that it frees up some time for me.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i get my butt up earlier now and walk my dog before work! i also walk on my lunch break... and I walk or hit the gym after work!!.. i burn a min of 350 cals a day and normally range btwn 500-800 a day! (i use an hrm so i know for sure)
    gotta make time!!! keeps me sane.... does both body and mind good!! :drinker:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I schedule it as something that needs to get done for the day, not as something "if I have time for" and that has helped.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I make time... I often give up my lunch break to exercise... If you desire it you will find time to get it done.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to carve out enough time to really exercise. How do you all do it?

BTW, not much I can give up at the moment to accommodate for exercise. I am tapped out.

I requested a sit/stand workstation at work. On the days (like the last couple of weeks) where my schedule simply cannot accommodate a nice lunchtime workout or my bicycle commute to work, I shove my seat back against the wall and stand most of the day.

I can type quite successfully while holding a squat position or walking in place.

While reading something, I'll take my water bottle, close it, and curl it. Yeah, it's only a couple of pounds and is almost useless as exercise. But it's something.

Yeah, I get occasional odd looks from the people around me.

But two of them have requested sit/stand workstations themselves.

The key is to be creative. Instead of walking normally from your car to the office door, march with your feet going all the way up to knee level. Goose-step. Side-step. Ballroom dance. Walk backward.

Clench your arms and butt while sitting there. If you have to get up to go to the restroom, do 10 squats before sitting back down at your desk.

There's always time to fit in something. And everything counts, even the little stuff.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You make time, just like you plan everything else in your life. For me, getting up at 430 am everyday is best time for me to knock it out and enjoy the rest of the day with my family.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I make it a priority in my life, sometimes sacrificing things I'd rather do.