I want to call myself curvy

Options

Replies

• gypsybree
    Options
    Not everyone who is overweight and curvy has rolls of fat.
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    Options
    Looks good to me. :D
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I admit, I don't think I'm curvy (and I might never be), because I am overweight still (I'm 5'2" 184lbs aiming to be 125) and I agree with everyone here: curvy should be taken back to where it doesn't mean fat rolls but rather to someone who has worked hard for a body and is proud to show it off. Just my two cents.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3tqtcZdly1qc05f6.gif
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I have seen thick women who were curvy. From looking at your default pic, I don't see much of an HOUR GLASS figure. Not much contrast from your waist and hips. Unless you were talking about your pelvic bones or a hint of your ribs sticking out.
    This is my idea of curvy.
    model.jpg
    I don't think she is fat. But to each their own I guess.
  • APawli1224
    APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Totally didnt read the whole thread but I just wanted to say my part.. It is sad that people classify curvy, hourglass, pear shaped, broad shouldered, pleasantly plump, etc as fat because as fat is an insult for most people.. especially people that have worked hard to get there I believe when someone says "Oh your so skinny!" it should hurt as hard as "Oh your so fat!" Instead of that people should say "Oh you look so healthy good job!" or something a long those lines.. Skinny and fat go hand in hand in my book.. When I am goal weight I want people to say to me "Wow you look so healthy Alyssa you worked your butt off for that body!!" My two cents are in there lol..
  • shara85
    shara85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with the concept of taking "curvy" back, but at the same time, I see lots of really skinny girls calling themselves curvy when they're not. Most of the time they have a boyish/athletic shape. Nothing wrong with that, but the pendulum swings both ways in terms of who is using the word "curvy".
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe, she was the one who started those words, and hey by the standards of today she would be considered over weight.

No she would not. That is a myth. Marilyn was TINY. Watch Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and tell me how overweight she was. There is ONE photoshoot (in the white bathing suit) where she appears a bit heavier, but she was not that size most of her life. Not even close.

In today's clothing sizes, she was probably a 2 or 4.

Well not entirely true, just like most women her weight fluctuated.

Here is an excerpt from an article from a woman that actually tried on Marilyn Monroe's clothes:

Okay, first of all, when folks toss around the "Size 16" thing, yes, that's a British 16, by which they mean a U.S. Size 12. (Although it should be said that some have made the claim for the U.S. 16, too.) Then too, this doesn't even make a lot of sense, because most of Marilyn's clothes, and certainly her costumes, like those of any star of the era, would have been custom-made. And as anyone who's seen her films knows, her weight shifted a lot, so any "Marilyn Monroe was X size" statement is, stopped clock-style, probably going to be accurate at some point.

But if people demand numbers? They're certainly out there. According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Comparing her measurements to my own, she would in fact be between a 2 and a 4 in today's sizes. I'm sure there were times in her life where she was on the higher end, but I'm 5'3", an hourglass and at 155 pounds with 39-inch hips and a 29-inch waist, I wear an 8 in most clothing. At 132 pounds, I was a loose size 6 and nearly a 4.

You only have to look at Marilyn (and keep in mind the camera does add weight) to know she was NOT a 2012 US size 16 or anywhere close. Yes, she had curves, but the kind the OP was talking about not the kind the word has come to mean.

You are missing my point entirely. Her weight fluctuated and then with the lost in translation sizes from those days too many take her curves and 'size' as a justification for their own over weightness. But you edited out my last sentence.

Here is the rest of the article http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe

It states in her "plumper" stages she was closer to a today's size 10. Which is still no where near a 16. My point was: it is irritating that people compare to her because it all depends on which time frame you are referring to.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with the concept of taking "curvy" back, but at the same time, I see lots of really skinny girls calling themselves curvy when they're not. Most of the time they have a boyish/athletic shape. Nothing wrong with that, but the pendulum swings both ways in terms of who is using the word "curvy".

This is true. I've seen several women claim to be hourglasses when neither their measurements nor their appearance support that at all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You are missing my point entirely. Her weight fluctuated and then with the lost in translation sizes from those days too many take her curves and 'size' as a justification for their own over weightness. But you edited out my last sentence.

Here is the rest of the article http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe

It states in her "plumper" stages she was closer to a today's size 10. Which is still no where near a 16. My point was: it is irritating that people compare to her because it all depends on which time frame you are referring to.

OK. I think we are saying exactly the same thing and getting wires crossed. :-)
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Because DANG IT! I AM!!! I'm not 200 lbs overweight, I'm a textbook hourglass figure with a large chest, small waist, and wide hips... My "curvy" isn't my many many rolls down my body.

Let's change the meaning of this word back to what it is. Call a duck a duck....

Thanks! :)

you can for sure!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I have seen thick women who were curvy. From looking at your default pic, I don't see much of an HOUR GLASS figure. Not much contrast from your waist and hips. Unless you were talking about your pelvic bones or a hint of your ribs sticking out.
    model.jpg

she is so not fat. :flowerforyou: i say
    bomb.com
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Because DANG IT! I AM!!! I'm not 200 lbs overweight, I'm a textbook hourglass figure with a large chest, small waist, and wide hips... My "curvy" isn't my many many rolls down my body.

Let's change the meaning of this word back to what it is. Call a duck a duck....

are you serious, is this you in the pic at the side, curbey you are not, very thin you are, Im curvey lol.
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    By all means, call yourself curvy! I do! :smile:
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    model.jpg
    yep this is defo a curvey girl and its lovely imo.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I used to think that was most people's definition of curvy/thick.

I'm somewhere between hourglass and pear. When I get smaller, small hourglass lol! I have not big but not small breasts, small waist (with a little extra in front), and wide hips with a round butt. I have people say they want to have my shape when they get smaller. I try to be nice about it and say, "Whatever shape you have now, is they shape you'll have later. It'll just be smaller." :)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

are you serious, is this you in the pic at the side, curbey you are not, very thin you are, Im curvey lol.

It's a weird angle. And that's not the pic I had up when I started this thread :)
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    "Voluptuous" sounds more sexy than "Curvy" does IMO.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA! At least you're honest!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

It's a weird angle. And that's not the pic I had up when I started this thread :)

Also, having met Amber in person several times, YES, girlfriend has got CURVES. Boobs, booty, and a teeny waist---I do agree though, your profile pic angle doesn't show your shape straight on. Anyway, carry on y'all...