WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies,

The weather has cooled off by quite a bit, evenings walks now require jeans and jackets, darn it! Work hasn't really settled, they are still looking for more staff for us, other managers are cycled in from other locations and everyone does things differently, oh boy. I am okay with it as I am no longer in management, the headaches are not mine to take home but it is affecting the others and one of the new gals is already leaving us. I am just thankful my hours have been returned to normal and I am off the painkillers once again. Too many hours were too hard on my arthritic body.

Classilady- I agree it is hard to stay at 1200 calories but adding a walk each day gives you a few more calories to work with. Admittedly I get hungry and its okay while I am at work but can get the better of me when I am at home. Keep yourself busy if possible; drink water first when you feel hungry as much of the time we are dehydrated instead of hungry but our body warning system is out of kilter. Keep strongly flavoured snacks that are light in calories on hand, garlic stuffed olives is my current favourite.

Glendalight- hi neighbour! You’re just a 4 hour drive away wouldn’t you say? Glad to hear your appointment went well and that you have the go ahead to start movement! Hurrah!

Deedee – yes, definitely refrigerate the honey-lemon concoction for colds. Sorry I forgot that step. Grouper and roasted asparagus for supper, YUM!! Hope you gradually get your strength back and the pneumonia is vanquished.

Kathy- exercising in the pool will be great for that toe I should think, good idea.

Julie- So sorry to hear of your mother’s passing, it is so difficult to lose a parent. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Congrats on the weight loss and just keep the goal of your daughter’s wedding in the forefront. You’ll make it.

Rachel- don’t accept the line that is just ‘the change’, get it checked out. I was told the same thing, given pain killers, muscle relaxants and anti-depressants all to no avail, until one day a cousin who is a nurse asked what the x-rays said. Never had one I told her and she told me to demand one, I had the right. The x-rays showed that I had a severe arthritic hip, bone on bone. My pain was in the wrong place so they never believed me. I was so angry!!!

Jb_2011 – great pics, you look terrific!

Gini and jb_2011 - sounds like a very productive day in the kitchen, I haven’t been able to do anything yet as I still haven’t found my canning gear from the flood storage containers in the garage.

Nanasgt – letting go is really big and it is something that isn’t done overnight, I know. Good luck on your journey.

Slowspud – we all get those urges to hoover! Drink water; call a friend, if you must eat, try something small that has a strong flavour like a spear of pickled asparagus. Use whatever coping skills you can and above all don’t beat yourself up.

Janehadji – So glad your daughter’s wedding went well. 5 days to celebrate is a short time in the scheme of things and you are right to leave the scale alone for a week till you get back on track. Its all good.

Meg – it’s a wonder you haven’t gone crazy. I don’t know what I would do in your case, especially since the counselling doesn’t seem to be working, is there a differnt form of couselling available? This is a safe place to rant my dear; we are in your corner. Good luck.

Nancy – I was born and raised in British Columbia in the lower Mainland. I became an Albertan when my hubby got transferred here. He was born in Alberta and I have always considered the transfer ’suspect.’

I have been trying to catch up on posts but it takes time and I see it is past midnight so I must away. Congrats on all the weight loss and welcome to all you new gals.

Good night and may tomorrow bring sunshine to all your struggles,
    Kate
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would like to join this group please, How do I go about it, I am 58 years old, live in Scotland and am a part time sales consultant about to open her own business. LesX
  • wordeditor
    Options
    Hello! I just joined. My daughter in L.A. encouraged me to do so. I really need motivation to do what I know I should do for my health and well being. Hope you all can help me. At 65 with a husband with serious back problems, and retired, it's hard to get motivated.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Kathy - I hope you are feeling better today.

Laura - happy belated birthday!

Janehadji - I'm glad the wedding went well. They are such fun aren't they?

Meg - teenagers are always a struggle, but the exceptional circumstances of yours must make it even harder.

Robin - I had to look up Tillamook Bay, it looks great! I'm envious.

Jen - I wish I could still play tennis, not that I was particularly good at it, but there are too many reasons for me to not play these days!

Rorae - I am looking into starting pottery classes too. DH's cousin is a potter in Ireland and I would love to go over there and have some lessons from her. One day maybe!

Barbie - I have just ordered the Holy Guacamole book - it looks just up my street!

Michele - can't wait to see photos of the pool!

Nancy - well done on the eliptical!

Lila - I am a 'Latin scholar' and spend lots of time doing translation, a lot of it for my DH who writes books on cartography. I also do translation for other authors. It's great fun!

Julie - hugs to you. One of the hardest things we go through is the death of a beloved parent.

Linda - try to make some time for yourself. It really sounds as if you are burning out - get some rest!

Viv - it's good to see you jumping back in and so great to hear that your 'flabby arms' are starting to show muscle!

Kate - I NEVER get the urge to hoover! Oh, different kind of hoovering! lol

JB - as others have said - you look beautiful!

Hi Les - and welcome. What part of Scotland are you in?

To all the other newbies and everyone else I haven't mentioned - hello and hope you are having a good day.

And after all that I must get on with some work! Be back later.

Love to all

Amanda x
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,

I have been MIA for a few days but read all the posts. What an active group we are! Things are settling in at work. I have Open House tonight so I came to work prepared. Brought a healthy fresh fruit salad and some chicken from the crockpot last night. There is often the urge to eat out so I can easily say no.

Have had trouble sleeping and trying to convince the DH to buy a new mattress. The pillowtop we have is soft and sagging. I am waking with back and neck pain. Tried a new pillow but to no avail. My friend has let me "sample" her Tempurpedic Cloud Bed and I really liked it. DH thinks it is costly and we should look for the knock offs. I think it would be money well spent.....

My knees have been showing some arthritis lately, creaking a lot with my exercise. My jazzercise instructor suggested Osteo Biflex. Anyone use this? She says you feel results in about two weeks. My body is certainly feeling its age! LOL!

Wishing the best to all in our daily lifestyle changes and challenges!

Carolyn
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Carolyn - just a quick reply. If there is anyway you can get the Tempurpedic bed, I say go for it! Mine has made such a difference to both myself and my DH. We've used the Tempur pillows for years, but finally got the bed about two years ago. Would never have anything else now.

Amanda x
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is such a postiive group of folks posting !! I would love to join and be a constant 'poster' with this group!

I am not a teacher - but I am way...WAY over 50-so I hope I can be a part of the group. Not sure what exactly I have/need to do-
    do we post here daily? I know I want to come back to her daily for the great messages I see here.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

The scale was kind this morning even with the sodium heavy meal I had for dinner so I am in a good mood.

I hope you all have a thoroughly thrilling Thursday

Robin (Bodi and Ritter too, of course:wink: )

PS

https://apps.facebook.com/gerberps/detail.do?entry_id=62785

If you have a facebook account I would appreciate votes for Olivia. Thanks.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Meg - if I remember correctly (and I may not), your daughter has been in this country for quite some time. Why is her English still so poor? Rant all you need to, our combined shoulders are pretty big!

jb - wow! I can't imagine you being 65 lbs heavier. You're lookin' great

So many new people, hard to keep up. Welcome everyone!

glendalight - great report from the doc. Now you'll really be getting into exercising!

Kathy - I usually can tell when it's my sinuses one of two ways. One is that they get so inflamed that they actually push down on my teeth and they start hurting. The other is if I bend down (head below the heart), if I feel worse in that position, it's usually due to sinuses

Laura - sounds like you had a great time in LV

Went to deep water aerobics today (Wed). this was the first time the new gal taught. It seems that she'll teach the 10:00 shallow water class on MW&F but only the deep water class on Wed. bummer! I was hoping to have some continuity. Then did a BIT of food shopping (since I get the senior discount and its right on the way home), came home to find one guy here working the excavator. After talking to Vince, seems that earlier he nicked a power line so they had to call the city of Newton electric here to declare it OK. He dug the hole for the spa, moved dirt around in prep for pouring the footers for the retaining wall and the concrete decking. The PLAN is to have the spa in place tomorrow filled with water. Then we'll need another bonding inspection.

Will do a ASAP (weights) tape tomorrow. I'm going to go to the Newcomers lunch out tomorrow. It's at Red Lobster. If it was somewhere further away, I wouldn't even bother to go.

By the time I got home, the guy who was working the excavator left, Vince started cuttting the grass, I was afraid that grass clippings would get in the pool so I waited. By the time he was finished, helped him brush grass clippings off the sidewalk, etc. the pool was in the shade. Even tho the water was fine, there was a breeze so it probably would have been a bit chilly. So didn't go in the pool today. We're thinking that tomorrow we're going to do more work on picking out the tiles.

Polly - I agree, I like reading people's different types of exercise. Sometimes it gives me an idea for something a little different. I also like looking at people's diaries, I get lots of ideas of foods that I haven't had in a while and should be using. Just recently someone (and I don't remember who) had mushrooms which reminded me that I haven't had mushrooms in quite a while. Oh, trust me, I do a bit of sampling when I bake. I usually like to at least sample something before I give it to someone. When I'm making a cake, I use a small ramekin to make a bit for me. Honestly, it just doesn't work for me to do the same exercise over and over. Admitted, I have a short attention span and get bored easily.

Got a question for anyone. I have some cherries that I froze. Honestly, I'm the only person who'll eat them and I do have quite a few. However, I do have this recipe for these cherry and spice brownie bites that I'll make for the guys. Only it calls for 1/2 cup plump dried cherries with a note to be sure they're soft. I'm wondering how I can dry out the cherries. Anyone know?

Tickets for the TSO concert that we want to go to in Raleigh go on sale today. We've been able to get tickets to other concerts for them in the second and third rows, so Vince'll go online at 10 today and order them. I'll be home for when the guys come for the pool. They'll be here later (probably like around 10) because they have some sort of meeting for the one guy's grandson. Update: TSO's doesn't have enough bandwith or something, but we were able to get 5th row seats.

Did about 40 minutes of the ASAP DVD today. I'm really surprised how much I sweat. It's a good workout. Tomorrow I'll do a downloadable spinning workout, then go to mahjongg, then go to get my hair done.

Diane - Polly is so right, measurements are a much better indicator of weight loss than the scale. To be honest, I really haven't lost weight in the last few years, oh, a pound up a pound down, three up three down, but always in the same area. Yet, my bodyfat has gone down from a few years ago.

Nancy - good luck with your jam and pickles. I'm sure the judges will love them. Please let us know how much

Lila - my weight chart must look a lot like yours, but I wouldn't say Andes, more like molehills. Usually the most per week I go up is about 3lbs, but then I'm back down those three pounds. But I do find that it's so so easy to put on the three pounds but it seems to take forever for them to come off. Well, August is always my worst month. It must be the heat. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it....lol

Linda Sundance - I don't think I would ever be successful with a goal of getting to bed by a certain time. It's probably something that I should be doing, tho. Last night before I knew it, it was time to give Loki his medicine.

Viv - yes, log EVERY DAY. I find that I get into trouble if I don't.

Well, the truck delivering the sand for the spa just came here. Honestly, we weren't expecting it this early, but that's OK. The plan is to have the spa in place and filed with water by the end of the day.

To many newcomers to mention individually. But welcome, we're glad to have you. You'll find this thread now under your "my topics" tab. We post when we can, there's really no forced posting. But many women (myself included) find it easier to post daily as we have so many new posts.

Well, I forgot to post last night so I'll do it now. One of the worker's wives came with him to translate. He's a really hard worker and I believe he could go much further but his command of the English language holds him back. His wife, tho, speaks very good English (and Spanish)

Have a great day everyone. After the lunch today I may stop at WalMart. For one thing, I will need more ice. I like to keep at least one 10lb bag in the freezer.

Michele
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A rare evening alone with my 16 year old. I taught him how to make real macaroni & cheese and we ate it in front of the tv with leftover birthday cake, watching Death at a Funeral (a British comedy, which I highly recommend). It's the little things that make me grateful.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Thursday all you lovely ladies,

Robin- would that Tillamook Bay be the one on the Oregon Coast that has the Tillamook Cheese Factory? They have the BEST ice cream :blushing: it's been a few years since we were last there , it's one of the things I miss about Oregon...Tillamook Ice Cream...yummy.

Meg- editing a book, sounds like that would be interesting, especially if the book is something you are interested in.:happy:

Jen- glad your tennis is a sister building exercise as well as one for the body. I never remember hearing how the tennis with the brothers went...was it as competitive as you thought it would be?:huh:

Julie- so sorry about your Mom:flowerforyou: It's hard to lose your parents (mine passed in 2009 & 2010) I still miss mine. {{hugs}} to you during this time.

Lin- glad to hear that your Dad's surgery went well, and it's a good thing to go home and let the professionals take care of him for awhile, gives you time to recharge your batteries for when you go back to see him.:flowerforyou:

Amanda- sorry to hear you were having a bad day, hoping it was just a quick blip on the week and that today is better:flowerforyou: I just saw the trailers for Season 3 of Downton Abbey...I'm so jealous that you live in the UK and this season starts for you on the 16th....we have to wait until Jan 2013:sad:

jb- Great picture:drinker:

Barbie- sorry that Jake left to return to the housesitting, I know it must be lonely when he's gone...but those times he comes back are like dating aren't they:huh:

Janehajhi- glad to hear the the wedding went well...enjoy that Vail vacation it's sure to be refreshing:flowerforyou: Messy house...it's the kind that will give you memories of the fun time during the wedding:happy:

Liz- yep I've tried a few new receipes too that made their way to the trash:blushing: Always good to have a back up plan incase of failure.

Barbara- I do love your goals:flowerforyou:

Linda- at least you are getting in some exercise time with your 2 DD's, find some time to rest and refuel too.:drinker:

Viv- Welcome back:flowerforyou: You know we are here just waiting to encourage you...good job on doing the lifting and seeing some muscle peeking through.:drinker:

Kate- sounds like you know how to roll with the waves in your job, so many of our age group have a hard time just going with the flow...we do have a tendancy to be stuck in our ways:blushing:

Carolyn- I do believe that we all feel our age...too bad I forgot to enjoy feeling good when I was young:sad: The money spent on a good matress can make all the difference in how you wake up in the morning. I know it's hard to spend the money at the time but it makes such a difference...hope you are able to convince your hubby:happy:

Michele- it sounds like your pool / spa are coming along and before you know it we will be hearing about you doing the landscaping and final details on your project:drinker: seems like yesterday you were telling us you were getting quotes on the project:wink:

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newbies, keep coming back and posting that's how you join. Let us get to know you and you will find encouragment for your total well being:flowerforyou:

After a week and half of no official exercise we did our bike ride last night, it was so windy it was a real workout when we started and when we were headed back the wind gave us that extra push making it way too easy:blushing: But it really felt good to do it.

Hubby is getting ready for his camping trip with weekend with Son #2, Grandson #1 and our Sons FIL (who happens to be our one of our best friends here). So yesterday hubby got all the clothes washed from our trip and now he's pulling out the camping gear to load it up. I think he leaves tomorrow afternoon. I'm looking forward to having the time at home alone and have set myself some goals of doing some serious cleaning. I have so many boxes to go through of papers from Mom & Dad that I just haven't wanted to deal with since I brought them home from Oregon and I think this is the weekend to tackle them:ohwell: and visit a few memories.

Several of you have talked about your weight and seeing it on a chart, Outside of MFP I do my weight daily on a spreadsheet and I'm able to look at the months past and see where I've come, those highs and lows and it helps keep me on track. Of course I had a hugh spike when I weighed myself after the six days away, but am seeing it coming back down, with hubby gone this weekend I think I will be having Salmon for several meals to give that loss a push:wink:

I best get to the papers, have a lot to catch up on. Log it if you drink it, make it water and that's even better:drinker: Move it and log those calories burned and don't forget to log that food it really does help keep you on track:flowerforyou:

Laura80111:smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday and thanks to everyone for the wonderful compliments on my photo. :smile: I was dressed for a gig and realize I was covered from head to toe with clothing - now comes the wild adventure of getting some pics in shorts and tank top! Not sure when I'll feel brave enough for that, but as long as it's not a close-up pic I'll most likely be ok with it. Sagging skin isn't a fun thing, lol. I remember one of our ladies saying she had the total Shar-Pei thing going on :laugh: Well now it's me. Once gardening season is over I'll get back to strength training and see if I can't firm up my upper arms a bit. Oy. :ohwell:

For those who don't know, I'm a professional guitarist, songwriter and music teacher. I've made my living playing music, performing in classic rock bands for many, many years and playing solo folk-rock gigs as well. I've been teaching guitar, piano and voice to young kids, teens, adults and seniors for the last 15 years and have recorded 2 CDs of my original music. I don't play out too much now due to a bit of arthritis in my thumbs, but I'm fortunate to be able to perform a little every day for my students and teach them about performance and recording. I have a small recording studio in my home and have had several students over to work on their own CDs. It's fun, fun stuff.

I've had a different sort of life in a sense, never having children and spending many years on the road traveling with bands. My first husband and I built a log cabin in the mountains of No. Idaho in 1983, using trees from our property that we cut ourselves and dragged (drug?) to the building site with an old Chevy truck. Those were some great years. Unfortunately my husband passed away after 20 years of marriage and I ended up staying with family in San Diego after his tragic death. A few years later I was blessed with a new man and a new life. We moved to Portland in 2005 and immediately began work at the local community garden.

And here we are today, holding on to our little house by the hair of our chinny chin chins since my union carpenter hubby hasn't had steady work in the past couple of years. But we're getting by, and goodness knows whe don't have to spend a penny on veggies for several months of the year. He's a terrific gardener and always helps with processing the harvest, we get along great and I thank my lucky stars to have found him.

On a different note, I'm down another pound and have 6 to go to reach goal. I've stagnated a bit on weight loss this summer but have been experimenting with learning how to maintain when the time comes. Looking back at my notes, I lost 2 pounds in June, 1 in July, 1 in Aug, and now another. Slow, but I'm ok with that. When I get down to business and stay faithful at eating 1250 cals a day I lose quite consistently. Then come the weekends...:tongue:

Enough about me. Time for me to give my mom a call and get started canning tomatoes. Wishing you all a wonderful day, and thanks again for your sweet comments. They made me smile.

:smile: jb
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hi, thank you for welcoming me to the group.Since I wrote the last time ,I have lost an additional 1.6lbs . Just do ing my 30 mins morning . Already noticed that I walk up my stairs without any knee pain . That is my NSV for the week.
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Viv - good for you to 'pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again'! Aren't you thankful for second (or in my case, third, fourth, fifth....) chances and new beginnings? I sure am!! Kate - It IS getting cooler! My furnace was even on last night! Ah, the joys of Canadian autumn! :noway: But it is also a lovely time of year, with bonus days of sunshine. And good for you to be continuing the walk. (and yes,we are just 4-5 hours away - may have to have a coffee sometime :smile: ) I totally agree that sometimes what I interpret as hunger may very well be thirst. A drink of water is a great first response to that empty feeling. I was reading an article this morning on SMART goals - some of you teacher types will be familiar with it - Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, Timed This writer reworked the acronym to be MASTERY and added E (effect or impact on you, your family, your work) and Y (yearning ie is it something you are passionate enough about to pursue) Thought it might help with our goal setting. Some have asked what activity/exercise I am going to try. I do like to walk; I think I will get the bike out while the weather still cooperates and I am looking into an aquasize class. Thanks for asking and spurring me on! Have a great day - it is lovely outside! g
  • ndbirdmomDiane
    Options
    Polly and Michelle, thanks for the encouraging words. I will stay the course. All this weight didn't go on in 1 month, so it can't come off in a month either. Eating my veggies and walking. I probably should add weight lifting to my program too I suppose. Will see what I can do about that.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my virtual friends. It’s pretty warm here today, near 90. Another office day for me. I’ve already exceeded my exercise goal for the week and have stayed under my calories all but Sunday, so I think I’m doing well. Not quite getting all my water in, but close. I get about 6-8 cups a day (per mfp), but I think I need 11 for 90 ounces. What do you guys think? :ohwell:

Tomorrow is my employee health screen. This year I hope they don’t tell me I am going to die in the next 10 minutes LOL. I’m anxious to see my blood glucose on metformen and wonder what all these vegetarian and seafood meals have done to my lipid panel. My cholesterol numbers have always been good except for HDL which is usually low, but we have made a big diet change in the last year. My goal is to lose 50 pounds then get off metformen. I am not a diabetic, but rather pre-diabetic and after 5 years of a blood glucose in the 114 range, I asked to be put on it until I lost weight. Tomorrow is also weigh in day, so we’ll see how my week has been!

Robin: you have a great trip. I will dream of your cheese! :love:

Jen: tennis! I haven’t played in years. I still have my Chrissy Evert wooden racket though! I bet you had fun even if you aren’t good at it…who cares, you were moving !

Polly: glad those pounds are gone, never to return!!! My daughters have been her 6 ½ years. The younger one was fluent within a year and tested out of ESL. The older one didn’t get out until the last semester of senior year and I think they just booted her out. She went to our community college over the summer and tested quite low so still is in ELL classes (it’s called ELL here). It was frustrating in high school because when we would talk about her behaviors, it always came down to “it’s the language”. Well no, it’s not AND if it is, why does she keep “progressing” in ELL? No one could ever answer that one. Kudos to you for being an ESL teacher! :flowerforyou:

Nancy: you are doing great with your exercise!

Barbie: the books sound interesting and I love the series title. I’m with you on finding time for work! :bigsmile:

Liz: we are starting to have those nice cool mornings too. I just wish I could walk then!

Lila: I had to laugh about the dog food looking good. I’m reading a book right now about the historical events surrounding the time of the movie “Casablanca” and how accurate the events are portrayed in the movie. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m poring over every word! :love:

Barbara: hugs to you. That must be tough going through your parents things. :flowerforyou: I didn’t have a problem except when it came to pictures. I didn’t want to throw them away but they had literally thousands of pictures of scenery from vacations that mean nothing to me, but it seemed like a sin to get rid of them. I think it’s funny that food prep burns calories. I know everything does, but that seems ironic here, doesn’t it? :huh:

Linda: you do sound tired after all you do! Has DH always been like this? Does he know you’d like some help in the evenings? Sending you hugs because that sounds hard. :flowerforyou:

Viv: welcome back!

Kate: I’m glad you got to cut back on the work and are now off the pain meds. The counseling thing is a little complicated; it’s all free forever as a work benefit and we can’t afford not to use it. This counselor has worked with us for over a year now, and her take is that both girls simply do not recognize they have issues and refuse to work on them. So with DD#1 she is working on concrete “tools” to get through everyday life. We are just hoping she will come to the realization that she needs more and take advantage of it. But you are right, it is frustrating! :grumble:

Amanda: Did I read that you are translating something from Latin? I took Latin for 3 years but I think all I can remember is “manus manum lavat”. Boy that’s useful :laugh: (one hand washes the other)….oh wait….vipera (snake)_ LOL Nice to know about the bed; I’ve been wondering about them.

Carolyn: my knees creak all the time. I tried just glucosamine and chondroiten and got no results, but haven’t specifically tried that brand.

Robin et al.: good news on the weight loss! Congrats! :flowerforyou:

Michele: DDs have been here 6 ½ years, but there are a couple things that have held DD#1 back. First she was 13 when she came, which is a horrible age for something like that. She was so traumatized I actually thought I would find her dead in bed one day. She literally does not remember one thing about her first 2 years here. :sad: Second, she has some sort of cognitive disorder that can’t be diagnosed because of the language difficulty. We had a Russian tutor for the first 2 years who said she could hardly read, couldn’t speak correctly , and simply could not process information. We were told by the orphanage people that she had some sort of language difficulty, but they didn’t have any money to investigate or treat that (the orphanage was a series of buildings that were falling apart and had been bombed by Chechnyan terrorists). Only one toilet there reserved for teachers and staff…that’s how poor the conditions were. The good news is the staff was very caring and loved, loved, loved those children up…even taking them home on weekends sometimes.

How did I miss that you were getting a spa in addition to a pool???? Can I come live with you? LOL :bigsmile:

Lenitgogirl…sounds like a wonderful evening!

Laura80111: I hope your upcoming weekend alone is quiet and peaceful and you can get through your cleaning!~:flowerforyou:

Jb: what a fascinating life you have had. I really enjoyed reading about it. That’s the kind of life many people dream of, so it
    was nice to hear about it. I envy your talents and congrats on the weight loss!

Glenda: nice to hear from you again. I like your thoughts.

Newbies: welcome to all of you and please come back often!

Well I had best get back to work. I did my posting while eating a healthy choice meal…4 cheese manicotti. YUM. Plus grape tomatoes from the garden. Take care, meg :drinker:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

So many posts to catch up on! It's fantastic that there are so many of us here now to encourage and support one another!

I do feel much better today and just finished doing 40 minutes of chair exercise. I'm going to try to be smart and add the pool back in gradually so my foot and knee don't flare-up. Can't reply individually at the moment, since I'm going to make pita pockets with lots of fresh veggies for myself and DD before she leaves for work. I'll definitely try to get back on here later while my Yorkie is at the groomers.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the day!

Kathy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,116 Member
    Options
    Hello - another fly-by!! I've been reading allt he posts and I am encouraged to hear of all of your victories and sorry for those with no progress or troubles in life to handle.

I just had to say---it's salmon and green bean day..........yep, still trying to get some every week or so. I had to skip last week but *not* this week.

And now it's time to......:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Wow, tomorrow is Friday. Amazing.

Lin
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    May I ask a question to all the ladies with grey hair, please? I'm 53 and have colored my hair for the past 25 years. In May, I had my daughter (a beautician) buzz cut all of my hair so I could start out with a clean slate on grey. My question is...I want to start wearing makeup which I've not done in the past and I've looked at the websites for make up tips for women with grey hair but I can't find anything I like for eyeshadow. When you wear makeup, do you use shadow or no? What should I be looking for? BTW, I have blue eyes. Thanks!!!

Laura
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura
    I have now stopped coloring for 7 years.I have dark brown eyes an med skin tone.I use lavender, greys and blush tones.I would suggest going to the mall and ask the ladies at clinque to do some colors.