How obsessed are you with measuring food?

Options

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I measure and/or weigh 99% of everything I eat.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always measure my portions! Part of my problem in the first place was that I'd order spaghetti marinara from Olive Garden or whatever and be like, "Awesome, one serving of carbs!"

Measuring makes me feel more in control of what goes in my body. I measure everything, from salad dressing to lettuce to cheese to cookies to granola. I have a food scale, two sets of measuring cups, and a cooking conversion app. Being aware of what goes into my face means I'm less likely to overeat.

Rock on, measurers!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I admit to being obsessed with my digital scale. Tonight my b/f cooked dinner and I was banished from the kitchen so I brought it to the dinner table to weigh everything I added to my plate. That earned me a smirk and an eye-roll.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I use my measuring cups way more now...

I use a tablespoon measurement for my morning coffee creamer.

Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup for my cereal...

I just bought a digital scale since I'm not overly happy with my spring loaded option. I'm getting more precise. Not obsessive. Now excuse me, there is a light switch that I haven't flipped 33 times to keep the world from exploding. ;-)
    Taking comfort in knowing that is not an obsession!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I'm obsessed but it's paying off. I can eyeball certain things now pretty accurately. I don't trust myself with pasta so I will always measure it. The first time I correctly measured my olive oil I nearly passed out. :noway:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups/spoons and a digital food scale daily but I'm not obsessed with being exact, this whole weight loss thing is all about balance and estimates anyway.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I measure things once, to get a solid idea what it truelly is, then I eyeball it later. It's kinda fun measuring everything out now, but i don't think it's very realistic for the long term. I'm looking for a life change, something that continues without all this necessary calorie counting.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When I shelled out $30 for a simple digital food scale it made all this sooooo much easier for me. It was worth every penny! I now weight just about everything.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I use a scale mostly and log as I'm making things.
    I am pretty good at eyeballing things and aren't too concerned if I get it wrong.

I do however know that there is 4 good mouthfulls in a cup. So when I'm out I can measure my food that way. Hahahaha.
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    Hubby got so sick of me asking "how much is this? how big is this?" and bought me a digital food scale from Amazon. I measure everything now! He's much happier now that I am not bugging him!!!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Pretty obsessed. Not paying attn to portion sizes is the main reason I got myself into this mess in the first place! I'm asking the husband for a good digital kitchen scale so I don't have to keep making rough guesses...
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've yet to buy a scale to weight my food, but I do use measuring cups and spoons. I try to do it when no one's in the kitchen so I don't look absolutely obsessive measure exacty 3/4 of a cup of yogurt and a tablespoon of honey. :P
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it any more. I just weigh. There is very little that I don't weigh, and most of what I don't weigh I do measure.

I found that measuring cups are better than guessing, but a scale is better than measuring cups. (Especially when weighing in grams). You can have a measured "cup" that is overflowing or is skimpy, but a gram is a gram is a gram.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm not obsessed, I'm accurate :glasses:

yep thats it!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home, everything gets measured. Anything solid goes on the food scale for a weigh in. I'm not going to count out a serving from a box of pasta, that gets weighed. Liquids go in measuring cups. simple. I keep a pad of paper and pen next to the food scale and write it all down while cooking.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I use my measuring cups every day, have multiple sets in case they are not clean. I use my digital scale for almost everything. Took it to my sisters house for her Labor Day BBQ ate some of everything went over in calories but it was all weighed out. :drinker:
  • pagella
    Options
    Haha Me too! My boyfriend gets mad bc i have two sets and they are always dirty! lol
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not obsessive, just careful and consistent. I use a scale and measuring cups & spoons. Since portion control was a problem, and was one of the reasons I gained weight, it's a no-brainer that I will measure all I eat.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I weigh everthing on my digital which was about $20. I even take it on vacations. I use paper plates for large quantities and small condiment cups for small things. I have even weighed dry spaghetti.I find it eally helps for peanut butter, nuts, and things that are high in calories for a small amount
  • misty0413
    Options
    love my scale. but if i have an apple or something I don't weigh it. Just my meats mostly to make sure I don't go over 4 oz. Other items get the measuring cups and spoons.