To fellow MFP Christians out there

Options
Howdy folks,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
Joshua
MyFitnessPal Forum Staff

Replies

• wildgirls2111
    wildgirls2111 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Made to Crave book. I have not read it but I think it would be a good one to help. It is written by Lysa Terkeurst.
  • buudharich
    Options
    You can begin with “You satisfy me more than the richest of foods.” (Ps 63:5) Many Psalm messages are a cry out to God in our moments of pain or searching just as the authors but they eventually revel in God. This will be a tough journey for you as it has been for many others. Consider this as a beginning.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    you can do all things through Him Who gives you strength! Phil 4:13
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    —1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

I find this verse pretty inspiring. I am trying to make my body the best temple I can :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Made to Crave book. I have not read it but I think it would be a good one to help. It is written by Lysa Terkeurst.

I've heard great things about this book as well; might just have to pick it up soon! thanks for the reminder!
  • shanniebanannie73
    Options
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)

And when things get tough for me (I'm also battling post-partum depression) I remember that He has already conquered the world so I don't have to rely on my strength at all, really. We are never alone and we are deeply loved. We can do this, too :)
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I have Proverbs 3:5-6 on my bathroom mirror. I stare at it every morning while I'm getting ready. I've always loved Jeremiah 29:11. When I was going through the bad end of a relationship, God led me to Colossians 1:11-12- "God will strengthen you with his own great power so that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient. And you will joyfully give thanks to the Father who has made you" (NCV)

Hope that helps!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bumping this.. I am a Roman Catholic so would be interested to hear some ideas.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Look at my page. I have posted some encouraging scriptures.
  • HannahMLittle
    HannahMLittle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lysa Terkeurst is AMAZING! I saw her speak just a few weeks ago and she is so funny and down to earth! She referances everything with scripture and is just awesome! I have ordered the book, I can't wait to read it!! Good luck girl! I added you as a friend!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I have been looking for a copy of this. I keep forgetting to visit the bookstore over the weekend. I have heard wonderful things about the book.
  • Mistila
    Options
    My favorite saying and it applies to our faith and weight loss is:

you try
    you fail

you try
    you fail

You try
    you fail

But the biggest failure is when you fail to try!

Wishing you the best!!!
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Here is a prayer from Lynn, that I will share with you. I don't know who Lynn is, but it is a nice prayer of thanks to God.

~A Prayer for Weight Loss~ by, Lynn

Father God, I come to you in the precious name of Jesus that you will perform a miraculous healing in my life concerning my desire to lose weight. Thank you Lord that nothing is impossible with you and that you can help take away my desire to overeat and fill the voids within me that cause me to seek food as a substitute.
    Lord, touch my mind right now, help me to see what causes me to overeat, give me a strong desire to want to take care of my body and see it as you do Lord. Help me to make the right food choices and touch my mind with creativity concerning food and what I eat. May I be restored to divine health again.

As I strive to do this Lord, please bless all within me - my cells, and my metabolism - that they will function properly so I can lose the weight. And let me take it one day at a time and not worry about anything else but the cares of the day that I woke up to.

Thank you Father for loving me enough to help me through this.

Amen.
  • jollygreencc
    jollygreencc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a volunteer youth pastor with a full time desk job (that doesn't burn many calories). I've decided that if I'm going to be an example for people around me, it only makes sense for me to take care of the Temple that God gave me for Him to live in. We tend to take care of the church buildings that we meet in on Sundays or Saturdays, but in the name of cost, convenience, and comfort, we are ignoring the actual place where God dwells. That's why I'm trying to change that. I intentionally play tennis 4 times a week (we will make time for what is important for us) and I am watching my calories and sugars. I believe that God looks at the heart and will honor me as I try to honor Him with my lifestyle.

Also I believe that since Christ promised us "abundant life", I need to do my part. He offers us eternal life, but He also wants us to live in peace and joy while we're here. I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't enjoy being 370 pounds. I couldn't live up to my potential and definitely wasn't happy with where my life was heading. I've lost 75 pounds and I'm on my way to 250 (I'm 6'8" so I'd be happy with that weight). I want to operate at 100% which is how Christ created me to live. He didn't offer abundant life to me just to have me squander it on junk food that pleases my flesh. Paul said to "crucify the flesh daily" while we in America seem to think that it's our "right" to kill ourselves quicker by overindulging on processed foods. I've lived there most of my life. No more. I'm going to take care of the only body that Christ gave me.

Just a thought.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Delight yourself in the LORD;
    And He will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD,
    Trust also in Him, and He will do it.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    my fav verse: james 1:2-4 (NIV)

'consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence. perseverence must finish its work in you so that you may become mature and complete, not lacking anything.'
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a few but there are tons of examples:

"My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth" - Psalms 121:2

"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." - 1 Cor 10:13 (New Living Translation)

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" - 1 Cor 6:19

Hope these help!
  • hdrider8968
    Options
    Bump! Really need this
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can begin with “You satisfy me more than the richest of foods.” (Ps 63:5) Many Psalm messages are a cry out to God in our moments of pain or searching just as the authors but they eventually revel in God. This will be a tough journey for you as it has been for many others. Consider this as a beginning.

love this one
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to start with the principle-

Your will, not mine be done.
This discussion has been closed.