why breakfast is the worst meal of the day

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see if Dave want to take this on. I'm willing to take my time to work this out point by point but not to talk to an empty room...

if you read my original post, I said if you want to eat breakfast, it wont hurt you. I did not write the article. I happen to agree with it and I have been following leangains protocol for quite some time and really like the results. I especially like my energy levels and especially when going home, I like knowing that I have a boatload of calories available for a great meal or 2.

I am simply passing along some information.

No, you are proposing some information as being accurate and are using this to reference a statement on why breakfast is the worst meal (your title) - I am challenging the form and content of the assumptions being made. I am willing to back up my challenge - I am also willing to be wrong and will support what is stated if I am found to be wrong. Having read both article and most ref. (but not all) I am inviting you or other supporters of this article to discuss the references. Interested? I've already shown that ref 1 cannot be used to make the conclusions stated. Do you want to go through the others with me?

not really. if you disagree, thats your right. but you seem to just want to fight, and I seek a more peaceful path. Please eat your breakfast and have a great day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    thats great. but the science does not support the idea that a single meal at any time will get your metabolism going. It takes several days of undereating or over eating before your metabolism even sees a change.

its true that whatever works is what you should do.

Totally at odds with the title of this thread, just sayin'

Saying breakfast is the worst meal of the day is as misguided in my opinion as saying it's the most important meal of the day.

yes, I agree the title is too strong. my bad
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    He's not saying that "Breakfast is Bad." He's just trying to explain why some people get hungry after eating breakfast. So, just like you get irritated when people tell you to eat breakfast because it's the most important meal of the day, other people will get irritated when you say breakfast is the worst meal of the day.

The article does point out:
    An important point, which I should have accentuated and expanded upon, is the high degree of individual variability present among the hormonal factors within the equation that might predispose people to post-breakfast hunger. I wrote:

Post-breakfast hunger cannot be explained by differences in food choice, but by certain individual factors, and their interaction with a time-of-day effect of feeding on hormonal profile and metabolism.

It's all very individual. I think for anyone who has blood sugar problems or metabolic problems, breakfast is a necessity. For me, eating breakfast helped my weight loss and doesn't make me hungry later in the morning. It's all personal preference and what works for you.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    thats great. but the science does not support the idea that a single meal at any time will get your metabolism going. It takes several days of undereating or over eating before your metabolism even sees a change.

Saying breakfast is the worst meal of the day is as misguided in my opinion as saying it's the most important meal of the day.

Maybe change it to "why breakfast is the worst meal of the day.... for me".

Like you say, everyone is different. I'd be willing to try this for a few weeks and see the results. My weigh in days are Thursday morning so I might try it from Thurs next week and see what results I get.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day whether I am hungry or not because I have to (have to eat w/meds). Now if I miss it I'm starving so for me skipping does not work. Looking around on this site the one thing I notice is everyone's body works differently, as long as the system you are on is working for you who's to say you're wrong. It was a good article.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Um... I am already hungry before I eat breakfast, then I eat breakfast and I'm not hungry anymore... at least not for a while... and by this logic that "breakfast makes you hungry" type of logic, then so would lunch and dinner... and besides, techinically any first meal of the day is breakfast as you are breaking the fast from while you were sleeping... and if you haven't eaten since your evening meal then you are still technically "fasting".
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Maybe change it to "why breakfast is the worst meal of the day.... for me".

Like you say, everyone is different. I'd be willing to try this for a few weeks and see the results. My weigh in days are Thursday morning so I might try it from Thurs next week and see what results I get.

if there is a way to change the title, I dont know what it is.

I personally wouldnt expect any big changes in one week. The article is more about dealing with hunger. A big change would require changing your exercise level or total calories and one week isnt a long en ough time for me anyway.

If you are interested, you might try the leangains approach to intermittent fasting. I love the protocol and the results.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Very true, but shocking headlines get your article read.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Um... I am already hungry before I eat breakfast, then I eat breakfast and I'm not hungry anymore... at least not for a while... and by this logic that "breakfast makes you hungry" type of logic, then so would lunch and dinner...

the premise of the article and the affect of morning cortisol levels disagrees with you. So, that isnt his logic.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

not really. if you disagree, thats your right. but you seem to just want to fight, and I seek a more peaceful path. Please eat your breakfast and have a great day.

I don't want to fight -- I dislike the misuse of scienctific research used to support improper or inconclusive information as facts - as this was done in that article and by the title "breakfast IS ...."

At the end of the day - that article is not providing to me more believability than what you read and contested in the post supporting breakfast. Discussing the details of an article is hopefully not "fighting" and I apologize if my rather harsh "bro-science" gives that impression - but I do like to dissect some of these for the scientific meat.

As far as eating breakfast sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I hope you have a great day too (breakfast or not :) )!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and this article isn't going to stop me.

Nearly every study of people who have lost weight and kept it off finds that the majority of them eat breakfast.

Personally, I find it much easier to control my eating later in the day and evening if I do eat breakfast. I typically eat it about 2 hours after awakening because my allergy medicine has to be taken on an empty stomach. If I eat it earlier, I do have a mid-morning snack, but see no problem with that.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    I didn't read the article (never understand them, got the gist from other posters) but I agree, if I eat breakfast I'm hungry all day and find it hard to stop eating.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    does 6 cups of coffee and 1 plain frozen waffle count as breakfast? Cuz that's where I spend 94 calories every day at 8am...and that keeps me full and going until about 1 pm.
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i skip breakfast, too.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have never been a huge breakfast person. I usually need to be awake at least an hour before I eat and even then it's usually a snack or waiting until lunch itself.

however, now, I need to eat something in the morning because I don't even have a chance to eat until lunch time. If I pull out a snack with my students in the classroom, they all want something.

But, the things I do eat for breakfast, I keep under 200 calories. That's enough to get me to lunch
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I don't want to fight -- I dislike the misuse of scienctific research used to support improper or inconclusive information as facts - as this was done in that article and by the title "breakfast IS ...."

At the end of the day - that article is not providing to me more believability than what you read and contested in the post supporting breakfast. Discussing the details of an article is hopefully not "fighting" and I apologize if my rather harsh "bro-science" gives that impression - but I do like to dissect some of these for the scientific meat.

As far as eating breakfast sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I hope you have a great day too (breakfast or not :) )!
    why don't you just state your point for everyone to read, instead of trying to force a debate. im still trying to figure out if you think people who claim to get hungrier on days they eat breakfast are lying or not. we get it your smart, now lets move along
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Um... I am already hungry before I eat breakfast, then I eat breakfast and I'm not hungry anymore... at least not for a while... and by this logic that "breakfast makes you hungry" type of logic, then so would lunch and dinner... and besides, techinically any first meal of the day is breakfast as you are breaking the fast from while you were sleeping... and if you haven't eaten since your evening meal then you are still technically "fasting".

You know when a response starts with "Um..." it's gonna be good.

If you hate the idea of fasting, then you might not want to read anything from leangains from now on.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is different

Yup. This is a common topic of conversation, and the net result is that there's little difference in terms of timing your calories, as long as you eat good food within your caloric budget. Some people find breakfast a necessity, some people find it makes them sick, and some people like the blog author finds it makes them hungrier.

Read up on stuff like this, then experiment to find that fits you best.

/thread?
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my morning workouts fasted for 2.5 years now, and did so during my entire weight loss. I get up around 5:30, get to the gym around 6:00 for a 2 to 2.5 hour workout. I don't eat breakfast until I get to work around 9:00 or 9:30. I didn't know about lean gains when I started doing this, it is just what worked for me. I workout hard, and if I have anything in my stomach, I feel horrible while I'm working out. The last time I eat during the day is around 9:00pm, so I go 12 to 13 hours fasted each day.

I've kept this up while maintaining for the past 9 months, and it's worked great for me.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Even this morning, I saw a another post saying that eating breakfast is almost mandatory for a healthy weight loss plan.

Before you tell someone this again, please read the above link. It is a lot of information to absorb, but well worth your time.

If you still want to have breakfast, go ahead, it wont hurt you, but not having breakfast just might help you reach your goals.

While it may not be "mandatory" for everyone, neither is breakfast the "worst meal of the day" for everyone.