------> TO ALL THE LOW-CARB-ers OUT THERE! <------

Options

Replies

• mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I found when I reduced my carbs and changed nothing else not even my workout etc just reducing the carbs began to shed pounds quick. It is hard to have 0 carbs but for me thats proof that if choose to eat a bagel, or oatmeal for breakfast over eating eggs,bacon that I will not lose the weight and actually gain it, but if I avoid the bagels, oatmeal and stick to eggs with meat for breakfast I drop around 5lbs that week, there is my proof that yes carbs are negative for diets.
    BUMP i agree.. thank you for info.. 5 pounds a week is amazing!!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    F37F4A06-AB04-48B4-A182-2636FC1A9BD5-4085-00000653B188A81D.jpg
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    LOL!

It is getting hot up in her'!

Just wanted to remind everybody to take a chill pill. Low-Carb works for some people, but not all. There are so many factors that come into play regarding each individual that there is NO WAY you could possibly lay them out on a poster.

]I just found these posters, thought they were cute, and wanted to share them with all my MFP friends. Don't get all bent out of shape over them :/

If there was a poster explaining how carbs are good for you I would equally enjoy looking at it - however to my knowledge it doesn't exist.

I found one:
    fruit_waffle.gif

'Nuff said.

I'm so having that tomorrow at Bob Evans!!!! :-)
  • twentyjxthree
    Options
    I am 5'6, 125 pounds and eat between 400-600 grams of carbs daily...

for ME, carbs fuel my exercise. End of story.
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "Carbs are killing you"
    Oh my...
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i enjoy eating low carb foods. i really don't miss eating high carb items, but i do watch how much i consume, and the secret is exercise oops no secret at all. lol
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i've been doing low carb (this week hasn't gone so great in that respect though) but i will never stop eating bananas. c'mon.
  • almcginn
    almcginn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha this is cool... but I'd like to make 1 thing clear:

It doesn't matter what you stuff in your mouth, consuming more calories than your daily expenditure creates weight gain - good or bad. Now if body composition is important to you then: fats make you skinny - its high GI carbs are evil.

Although I cycle my carbohydrates... so effective.

Couldn't have said it better. It's math. Numbers don't lie, my friends.
  • john44111
    john44111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yup been doing Keto since April 1.

Yup.. just look below.. I DID keep it under 1200 calories however. each slice of bacon = 60 calories. (it is relevant)

wow.. once ounce (a serving size) is REALLY REALLY SMALL. no wonder I was so fat.

no more blood pressure meds.
    no more heart pangs
    no more borderline cholesterol problems.

nothing.. 50 more here I come.. faster then hell too.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    "Carbs are killing you"
    Oh my...

Dude... they totally try to. I once choked on a crunchberry when I was little.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Yup.. just look below.. I DID keep it under 1200 calories however. each slice of bacon = 60 calories. (it is relevant)

wow.. once ounce (a serving size) is REALLY REALLY SMALL. no wonder I was so fat.

no more heart pangs

::scratches head:: so you didn't eat bacon? Your post lacks clarity.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

no more heart pangs

It's the keeping it under 1200 calories that made you lose weight, not the keto part.

I mean, my ticker is the same, and I average 200 grams of carbs a day, and I'm also planning to lose another 50. Calories, it all comes down to calories.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Thank you for this!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. I'm less hungry when I eat more protein and less carbs and I very rarely feel like I'd kill for a pastry anymore. Which is good, since killing people over sweets leads to all sorts of problems with the law and probably a write up in some snarky humor piece about how crazy people are these days.

Like the woman who assaulted her roommate over those Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mints. We all understand why she did it, of course, but you just can't go around doing things like that. :laugh:
  • ellsddd
    Options

no more heart pangs

It's the keeping it under 1200 calories that made you lose weight, not the keto part.

I mean, my ticker is the same, and I average 200 grams of carbs a day, and I'm also planning to lose another 50. Calories, it all comes down to calories.

Whilst I agree with you about calories in/ calories out, body composition could not be argued merely as calories, neither health (though im not entirely sure thats what you were saying?).
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

no more heart pangs

I do believe the amount off calories consumed is what is responsible for weight loss. But for me lowering my carbs and raising my protein is what helps me achieve that. 200 carbs is still probably a big reduction compared to what you consumed when you gained the weight.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

no more heart pangs

Agreed. I would only do Keto for a very short term (prepping for a show). 10 days TOPS! Doing it as a lifestyle change is C-O-M-I-C-A-L.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

no more heart pangs

Agreed. I would only do Keto for a very short term (prepping for a show). 10 days TOPS! Doing it as a lifestyle change is C-O-M-I-C-A-L.
    It's also extremely inefficient, why bother eating all that protein when your body just converts it to glucose due to the lack of carbs? Also, no carbs means no growth hormone, which means less muscle growth and more muscle loss. It's sabotage as far as body composition is concerned.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been in ketosis since May 29 and it's working for me. My calories are set at around 1300 and I'm losing pretty steadily each week (not counting last week as I was without power and kinda bloated from girl issues).

While I didn't take a body fat measurement or measure my lean muscle mass, I don't feel like I've lost any muscle. I've always been quite strong (built like a linebacker since I've hit puberty) and I make sure I strength train a couple of times a week.

As far as protein goes, it's my second lowest macro as I am also consuming high fat. I don't feel tired and I have even more energy than ever (I'm currently managing my thyroid issues and I'm very active with my students at work).

As for the lack of carbs, I get mine from veggies, nuts, and dairy. I also like beer and I refuse to give that up, so I fit it in.

I'm a "live and let live" kinda gal, so while your "C-O-M-I-C-A-L" statement won't offend me, it might discourage someone else who isn't so sure that what may be working for them is good or not. I choose to live low carb because I feel less bloated, have more energy, stay full/satiated longer, and I no longer crave all the crap I used to eat. I'm also eating more whole foods than I have ever eaten in my adult life, so it's a VERY welcome change that I've accepted.

Do what you want, but don't knock on those who are doing the same.

ETA: Forgot to mention that once I hit my goal weight, I'll raise my carbs SLOWLY to help maintain my calorie intake. I'll probably shoot for 100g, but I have no idea how I'll feel at that level. I'm looking forward to raising that with sweet potatoes, some fruit, and room for more veggies!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    F37F4A06-AB04-48B4-A182-2636FC1A9BD5-4085-00000653B188A81D.jpg
    So you're one of those MSNBC "news" people...

One of their polls last night showed that 96% of people prefer Obama to Romney. If that isn't a biased b.s. poll, I don't know what is.