TOPIC: Opinion on Gay marriage?

Options

Replies

• Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I support it 100%

On a side note, the catholic church would not marry my husband and I because.... wait for it.....we had premarital sex and made a baby GASP!!!
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm gay so I'm 100% for it!!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I support it 100%

On a side note, the catholic church would not marry my husband and I because.... wait for it.....we had premarital sex and made a baby GASP!!!

Wow. That's the particular priest or monsignor--not the Roman Catholic Church in general.

Any church that turns away "sinners" will have quite empty pews!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Marriage is a religious ceremony and shouldn't have any legal teeth. The secular government should provide civil unions to any two willing adults who aren't already part of a civil union.

Oh, and calling it "gay marriage" is as offensive as saying "white slavery"

YUP! How bout we start calling it "straight marriage" or the "straight bar", WTMF is wrong with people today and labels?

Really? what are we suppossed to call it then? How will people know what you are talking about? I get your point, but how would you describe it?

My buddy Dave is married. He is married to another man. I'm not a big fan of his husband as he has never really "joined in" our group and our nonsense, but he and Dave are very happy together and well suited. But really would it kill him to grab a rock band microphone or play the movie game?

Anyway.. I've never ever referred to them as gay married, they had a wedding, not a gay wedding. They are fortunate enough to be residents of Massachusetts where since it is Marriage that conferrs all the legal rights and responisbilities they can happily be married.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Don't agree with it, not going to be in one...... But will not vote against it if it comes up nor do I care if other people want to be in one.

Thus, I am tolerant of gay marriage.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    534284_455016191194506_614780460_n.jpg
  • jamesey73uk
    jamesey73uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm this is a tricky topic!

This is something that has caused much pain to many people over the years as the religion that they possibly are brought up with and have faith in most of their younger lives, are now finding the same religion turning their back on them!

Gay Marriage is not an argument about equality it is an argument about religion! To allow gay marriage in say the catholic church this is going against everything the bible has ever taught over the last 2,000 years!

As a gay man I believe equality is allowing same sex couples to have a way that they can celebrate their love together and have the same rights as a married heterosexual couple!

I don't think any one has the power to change religion! Do they?
  • noemike
    Options
    Does anyone read the bible ??
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Don't agree with it, not going to be in one...... But will not vote against it if it comes up nor do I care if other people want to be in one.

Thus, I am tolerant of gay marriage.

Yeh, my views also.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Love is love.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect a church that's against homosexuality to perform the service, just like two Catholics wouldn't get married in by a rabbi in a synagogue.

But legally? Absolutely. Two consenting adults should be able to marry each other. Period.

Besides all that, all the reasons "the church" gives to oppose gay marriage also makes my marriage invalid, since we're not religious and not reproducing.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    All life partners should have the right to share their health insurance and other benefits with each other, as well as make decisions regarding healthcare for each other and pass on inheritance to any children of either parent. Plus, same sex couples have as much right to make each other miserable, then impoverished over messy divorces as the rest of us.

So I'm all for it. Just don't make me go to the wedding. Old spinsters don't like weddings, they make us sad. :wink:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I just don't think it should be a National Election issue. I feel it is a moral issue, that should be delt with by each states.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Yes I do... Your point?
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I am straight and happily married. I have a childhood friend that just got married to her partner, they are so happy together, if she's happy then so am I. I look at it this way, if it makes you happy, then who am I to deny you that happiness. Plus if you think about it would be good for the economy. You would have these fabulous ceremonies and money spent on planning the event!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Am I still on myfitnesspal??

THIS!!!^^^
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My opinion on it:

Love is love. So what if it's man or woman, man and man, woman and woman, transexual and whomever. If you honestly LOVE a person, then you should be able to have a marriage and a union. The act of a marriage is a symbol of joining two lives, and the ceremony is for friends and family to celebrate and show their support. The fact that it is denied based on someone loving "the wrong" person is terrible. It should never be dictated by any physical attribute, gender, race, height, weight, nothing. If you are happy, and that person is the one you believe your soul mate, you should be able to have a legal, proper joining in marriage (not a civil union, that's just kind of a mockery) and be able to be married by what you prefer. I saw a comment about "don't force a church to do it" Well, that's not fair, if the couple are christians or catholics, they should be able to go to their church, or their preference in religious marriage ceremonies and be able to do it. You would be surprised how many homosexual couples are strong, moral, christians.

My other view point on it. Because so many people say it will "ruin" the sanctity of marriage... I'm sorry but Brittany Spears ruined it faster than a gay couple. Not just her, many of these straight people who get married in such a short term, and divorced not even a year later. THAT is more so ruining it. Here's another one, teenagers who refer to their boyfriend of 3 months as their "husband". That ruins it just as badly and makes marriage a total joke.

A gay or lesbian ro transexual couple that can last through whatever is NOT about to demolish the whole principles of marriage. If they can abide by their vows, then who cares? THAT is what establishes a legit, well focused marriage. Abiding in the vows through thickness and thin, better or worse.

Here's another thought, I find it EQUALLY offensive to see a straight couple sitting in a public space on each others lap making out and feeling each other up as if it were a gay couple. Why, because THAT kind of PDA is just disgusting. I am guilty of having my hand in my boyfriends back pocket, or a playful pat on the butt, but that's light and I usually do that out of a joke. What people do in their bedrooms, or their own homes is not my business. That's theirs. They're happy, that's the important part. I'm not about to ruin my life stressing and worrying about Tim being with Tom or anything like that. If Tim is my friend, and Tim is happy with his relationship, I will be happy for him.

Until gay people start acting like straight people are wrong and should be gay, which I doubt will ever happen, then who cares. They are not causing me physical harm, they are not causing society harm, they are not even harming theirselves! Yes, there are some ignorant ones, but there are some ignorant people of ALL types, even some of your high and mighty christians thinking they're above everyone because they go to church 2-3 days a week.

But I'm 100% for equal gay right marriages. They are harming no one in the process.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Does anyone follow 90% of anything else in the bible or care to bring up other issues that are against it?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have. I made sure I educated myself when I was growing up. I was brought up as a member of a church and was confirmed when I was 13.
    I happen to be an atheist now, but I respect ALL RELIGIONS and all beliefs. That means that if someone doesn't share my atheism, I don't try to cram it down their throats as the only way.

Kind of like you are implying you'd like to do here?

My sister married her longtime partner last week in Massachusetts. I love these women with all my heart and am overjoyed for them.
    Their marriage affects you not one iota.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    People should be allowed to marry whoever they want. No matter what.

Really?????? Cos I'd be pretty disturbed if adult siblings were allowed to marry, or if parents could marry their adult children...
This discussion has been closed.