Why I closed my diary.

Options

Replies

• Terryj20
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration! There is no doubt in my mind you will reach your goal.

And Jack Links rocks!
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've only just started on here and I love all your posts and updates. If you feel the need to close your diary then good for you - I'm only sticking to calories right now and trying to work out how to get things in balance. I haven't had any comments like the ones you're talking about, but if I ever make comments like that to anyone I hope they call me out on it, because even constructiv criticism can seem like just criticism when you're trying to achieve something. I'm so impressed by your journey and I know you'll reach your goals, you're super supportive to your friends on here and I hope we can offer the same support to you.

And wooooh I'm one of those friends from across the puddle hahah! Aye-aye mate, apples and pears ;)
  • winterdancer
    Options
    i agree as well. I had some bark at me and my diary being to under calorie as I am on the road to recovery from an eating disorder. many don't understand I am eating more and trying to up my calories.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    TL;DR = I like bad food and don't want people to criticise my intake.

Funny but nobody's commented on my (not very healthy but open) food diary in the last 4 months I've been here.

Just eat what you want to eat but less of it. Input < output. Fancy a Twinkie? http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing what you need to do for yourself. That is what this is all about. I had my diary open and got judged for eating to little when people don't even know how small I am. I have never had eating disorders or emotional issues or starved myself yet I got those kink of comments. I got so many requests from ladies wanting to see what I eat to build muscles that I opened it up again and asked people to please not judge me. I'm getting all kinds of nice comments. But it feels strange to have people looking at your food.

You just keep doing what works for you. This is all about you bud.

hmm... I'll have to look at Knock out dieting. The Anything Goes diet talks about the same thing and I really enjoyed it but there is always something new to learn.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    I understand perfectly. This is a life change not a "diet". I also keep my diary closed for this exact reason. I cannot do this if I don't indulge myself occasionally. It's usually a meal not a whole day. I'm losing slowly and that's the way to do this. Most importantly only you know what's best for you!

I loved your story and I wish you the best of luck. We can do this...our way!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I can't say enough how much I love having you as a friend here.
    A brilliant, funny, motivating, motivatED voice of reason!

(Now, I hope this is the last time you feel like you have to explain yourself to anyone on here!) :drinker:
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Brother, you do what works for you! I understand that the site is for us to help and encourage each other but from what I have read in some posts there are those who go way overboard on the advice. Keep on trucking and you will meet your goals (not their goals)

Amen and best wishes with your new healthier lifestyle. <3
  • michelle_4173
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! I don't blame you for closing your diary. My diary used to be public, but I would be too embarrassed to log my food if I didn't make the best choices. :embarassed:
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good for you! We all have to start somewhere & I wish you the very best in your weight loss journey! Don't let anyone's opinion of what you should eat change what you know is right for you in this moment. I know I don't, but then again I don't tolerate people nitpicking my foods either. Eventually, when it's the right time, we'll all find balance in what we eat.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I do wish you the best!

Most of us really just can't change everything about ourselves overnight. Take your time :happy:

I do encourage anyone here to friend others that are supportive and/or have similar goals. I find that I prefer to post questions to my wall for my buddies to chime in than post in the forums. I also don't have a problem with the delete button. It's the internet. If the friend is doing much to help you out, delete. No love lost.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That was a very interesting and well explained post! I totally understand and kudos to you! It is a lifelong process and for those of us who have had a lifetime of not so good eating habits and suffered the consequences of it, we have to do something that we can stick with. I personally like to look at other people's diaries to get ideas on go to foods that seem to help in losing weight and changing the way I eat on a consistent basis. You have to do what is helpful to you and from your post you've made some very good choices in your life and I have no doubt you will continue and succeed. Best wishes to you and thanks for the post!
  • hunter624
    Options
    One of the best posts on this site thank you for sharing, and good luck for the future, what ever it brings.

.:drinker:
  • shesabattgirl
    Options
    It's unfortunate that you felt that you had to explain yourself on how much sugar/salt you intake on a site that is here to support and encourage people. I think the fact that you are trying to eat healthier, are more aware of what you use to fuel your body and have lost weight are the key factors. Great Job!!

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!!!
  • ElleRoseMeurt
    Options
    Thank you. I have been doubting and thinking and worrying about this myself. I know I won't have the will to see this through when I'm only allowed to eat vegetables and fruit and lean meat. I was starting to believe I would never be able to pull this off. But this post made me realize that I don't have to ban all the foods I love. So thank you.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    LOL, when I was in my relative youth, I decided to eliminate sodium from my diet. The maternal side of my family had a history of heart issues and I wanted to be heart healthy. So, I stopped using table salt, and stopped eating high sodium foods like fast food french fries. I felt really good about myself, until I didn't. I started feeling off and then there was this swelling on my neck :-(It turns out that the lack of iodine (e.g. iodized salt) caused a *goiter* to start to develop! Really?! I thought that was some sort of 19th century condition like gout (yeah, I know gout still persists.) Anyway, I had also developed a distaste for salty things so my doctor recommended eating more shellfish for the natural iodine content. Okay, I'm on board with that except that many shellfish are high in cholesterol, which of course isn't very heart healthy! Lesson learned: moderation in all things and; I'm grateful I'm not allergic to shellfish!

I understand your decision. If what you are doing is working out for you, it can be exhausting and frustrating to have to defend that position on a daily basis. I myself, focus on the net calorie goal and let the macros fall where they may. I'm sure if my friends genuinely cared, they would be appalled at some of my macro numbers! Last night I had pulled pork sandwiches on giant onion hamburger buns! I made my calorie goal; but looking now at the Na table, insanely high numbers!

Anyway, I wish you Good luck on you continued success ;-)
  • almcginn
    almcginn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the Naval officer in me, or maybe I'm being "insensitive" myself, but I find it weak that with as much success as you've had, you would care if other people picked apart your diary. You're the one who looks yourself in the mirror. Not them.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Another well written and well said post from Scott - an inspiration to many including me.

I never did have my diary open nor will I ever - my daily posts when I close my food diary for the day lets everyone know if I met my goals today or not - and thats enough. As Scott said - I have better things to do with my time than listen to the food nazis when I decided to have a Mcdonalds double cheeseburger for dinner (and still stayed within my numbers btw!) instead of a salad or some such thing.

The reason I call this a lifestyle change instead of a diet is that 1 - majority of diets fail and I'm going to succeed - period! and 2 - Diets dont make sense to me - dont eat carbs for a month then start eating them again - too much stress on the body to me and carrying around an extra person worth of weight is enough stress on my body or eat nothing but grapefruit for a month - Im sure that'll work well for me since I loathe grapefruit.

MFP / IPOARM works for me because I can eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my numbers - if that means 2-3 slices of pizza and thats it so be it but since 2-3 slices of pizza isnt enough food for a day for me to function at anything close to human emotions - I'd rather break my daily cals into smaller meals that keep me happy (and my co-workers happy with me!) I eat better foods and feel better Im even eating fruit regularly for the first time since I was a kid - as I continue on this journey the sodium intake will drop, the fat intake will drop, and the other nutrients will rise - it's inevitable as I learn better choices and make them- but I will always make room in any food plan that I use for my favorites - and yes my high sodium, higher cal, higher fat Mcdonalds double cheeseburger will be in that list - so wiil subway!

Love and luck to all!
  • jenmurray116
    jenmurray116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One of the best posts I have read on here....I have kept my diary locked and have not really put myself out there to make friends because I view this as my journey, one that is a constant learning experience and work in progress - some of the comments on posts have scared me from being more open. I need to figure this out for myself and do what's best for me in order to make this a long term commitment.

You are truly inspiring - thank you for sharing all of that and congratulations on your success so far - I have no doubt you will reach your goals!! Now go enjoy some time with your family! :smile:
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You are SO right to do what you are doing. What matters is that you have to be able to LIVE with your lifestyle change and having people nag and lecture you about it is the absolute last thing you want or need just now. This is why my diary is only open to a few picked friends by means of a password.

You carry on the good work and keep doing what works for you. I hope you make it to the 300s by Christmas but don't beat yourself up about it if you don't - the important thing is that you are doing something about it all. It takes time to work through something like this.