TOPIC: Opinion on Gay marriage?

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Does anyone read the bible ??
    I have. I made sure I educated myself when I was growing up. I was brought up as a member of a church and was confirmed when I was 13.
    I happen to be an atheist now, but I respect ALL RELIGIONS and all beliefs. That means that if someone doesn't share my atheism, I don't try to cram it down their throats as the only way.

Kind of like you are implying you'd like to do here?

My sister married her longtime partner last week in Massachusetts. I love these women with all my heart and am overjoyed for them.
    Their marriage affects you not one iota.

^ THIS!!! <3
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I may be against gay marriage for religious reasons but I also know that not everyone share my religious beliefs. And while I believe that marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman since others don't they should be able to do what their beliefs agree with (not including murder, pedophilia or other illegal things).

And I do have gay friends who respect that I do not agree with their sexual orientation for religious reasons and who understand that I love them as the people they are and just don't agree with that part of their life. It is highly possible to be friends with, love a person and respect them without agreeing with all aspects of their life. I'm very thankful for the love and respect I get from my gay friends who understand that about me!!!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I just don't think it should be a National Election issue. I feel it is a moral issue, that should be delt with by each states.

Legal marriage confers so many rights and benefits that it is a civil rights issue. Civil rights are national, not local.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Does anyone read the bible ??

Yes I do... Your point?

The Bible also says: baby girls are twice as dirty as baby boys, handicapped people must not approach the altar. You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves. Do not wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate. I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments. Heck there's even a whole chapter on how a women should tend to their cycle. Do we abide by any of the other stuff. Heck no! I hate how people pick and choose bits and pieces.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a two very close friends who got married 4 years ago and are in a happy, committed and healthy relationship. Who cares that they are guys, they love each other!
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As long as they stay fit, log in, and track their calories then I don't see a problem. ;)
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    100% for it. Love is love.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I may be against gay marriage for religious reasons but I also know that not everyone share my religious beliefs. And while I believe that marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman since others don't they should be able to do what their beliefs agree with (not including murder, pedophilia or other illegal things).

And I do have gay friends who respect that I do not agree with their sexual orientation for religious reasons and who understand that I love them as the people they are and just don't agree with that part of their life. It is highly possible to be friends with, love a person and respect them without agreeing with all aspects of their life. I'm very thankful for the love and respect I get from my gay friends who understand that about me!!!

I won't lie. I agree with this too. This is actually really mature and open about you. That's like saying if your child went out and murdered someone, you will still love them as your child, but you will not have agreed with what they did. The love for the person doesn't die. But it's good for you for not being that person to smack your gay friends and tell them they are wrong or make them feel bad. But that's about all it is. YOUR opinion is you don't like it for your reasons, but you respect their opinion enough to let them do it and still be their friend. No one can force any one to agree 100%, because everyone has their own side of the fence for their own personal reason. :)
  • Maria_81
    Options
    not my business either. I only have concerns for the kids in that situation
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Why?

It's not as though heterosexual couples have an unblemished record of being good parents. There will be good and bad parents of every walk of life.

I'd have to think the children of a couple who've fought tooth and nail for the very right to be together are going to be in a pretty amazing, loving environment. :heart:
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most religions are anti-gay, reflecting the values of the men who wrote the "sacred" texts during the Bronze Age. Christianity is no exception.

The bible is also pro slavery, but we've moved on from that. Jesus had plenty of chances to say, "Hey, and btw, slavery is wrong." Of course, he never managed to do it.

The bible is also pro genocide, believes you can stone your wife on your wedding night if you find she's not a virgin, says women should just shut up and obey their husbands, and so on, and so on, and so on. In fact, the idea that "morality" comes from religion is a sick joke, if anyone ever bothered to read the religious texts they claim are infallible.

In 20 years or so the church will be more or less supportive of gay marriage. They'll miraculously find additional verses to "prove" Jesus was always pro gay ("love your brother," etc.). Presto, another successful religious whitewash. Also in 20 years, society will view anyone who speaks out against gay marriage the same as we view someone today speaking out against inter-racial marriage: an ignorant bigot.

This has already happened in most civilized countries, but America is again behind the curve. Mainly because Americans, unlike most Europeans, are more religious. But that will change, too. The trends are clear.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

--P

I think it needs to be clarified that you are referring to OLD TESTAMENT Bible here!! Jesus condemned many of the organized religions at the time (such as the Pharisees) because they were doing an awful lot wrong!!! And the quote about women obeying their husbands is about respecting & loving them...& the next part (conveniently omitted I see!!!) says husbands are called to lay down their lives (ie -die for!!!) their wives. Please, for the sake of all that is good don't quote the Bible as though you have some clue of what it 's about.

And just to clear up another of your sweeping statements, the church I am part of is NOT anti-gay people!!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Someone who oppose same sex marriage correct me if I am wrong, but I think part of the problem is that some people believe marriage is a religious institution. Period.

Is that right? Does that mean anyone who is not religious should not be married? I am not starting trouble, it's a topic that interests me if we can talk calmly about it without flinging mud.

We are heterosexual atheists and had a secular ceremony and are legally married in the eyes of all states. We aren't militant about it, but religion's just not our thing. Is our marriage valid? We also aren't having children.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Someone who oppose same sex marriage correct me if I am wrong, but I think part of the problem is that some people believe marriage is a religious institution. Period.

Is that right? Does that mean anyone who is not religious should not be married? I am not starting trouble, it's a topic that interests me if we can talk calmly about it without flinging mud.

We are heterosexual atheists and had a secular ceremony and are legally married in the eyes of all states. We aren't militant about it, but religion's just not our thing. Is our marriage valid? We also aren't having children.

Every word Sue just said.

To me, telling someone they can't marry because of the Bible is like saying you can't married because Zeus or Isis or Thor said so.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with kids being raised by gay parents (we have that in our family, my cousin is just fine). The only problem that occurs is from the intolerance in our society. The only issues my aunt had to face were parents not allowing their kid not to be friends with her daughter, etc. It was never an issue if they were good parents or not.
  • SueGremlin
    Options

To me, telling someone they can't marry because of the Bible is like saying you can't married because Zeus or Isis or Thor said so.
    To me, telling a couple they can't get married because of YOUR religious beliefs is like telling someone they can't wear black jeans because YOU think they are ugly.

I don't get why anyone thinks it is their place to tell people they don't know how to make major life decisions. To me, that is not what religion is about. Isn't Christianity about loving and respecting God AND each other?
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm this is a tricky topic!

This is something that has caused much pain to many people over the years as the religion that they possibly are brought up with and have faith in most of their younger lives, are now finding the same religion turning their back on them!

Gay Marriage is not an argument about equality it is an argument about religion! To allow gay marriage in say the catholic church this is going against everything the bible has ever taught over the last 2,000 years!

As a gay man I believe equality is allowing same sex couples to have a way that they can celebrate their love together and have the same rights as a married heterosexual couple!

I don't think any one has the power to change religion! Do they?

Very wise words.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Double post. Sorry.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    NVM
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Don't really care, as long as they eat at Chick-Fil-A......
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    100% for it. Love is love.

Exactly. I can't wait until who you love is such a non issue it isn't even questioned.
This discussion has been closed.