Why I closed my diary.

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I love how you write!

1. I may get attacked by the sodium nazis but I don't care - all I have showing on my diary is calories. Calories in, calories out. I eat very little processed food, but I do love Maldon Sea Salt sprinkled over a salad, I love Marmite, and I drink Bovril. Sodium, sodium, sodi-yummmmmm...
    2. I go over on my sugar most every day, not from chocolate or biscuits, but from fruit - are the sugar nazis gonna haul my *kitten* for that too?
    3. Oh, and I drink, and EAT CARBS! Oh, not just 'good' carbs, I eat pasta, good quality white bread, white rice, and *gasps* POTATOES!!!!
    4. I can never foresee a time when I 'drink' protein rather than eating it, and I do not 'lift heavy'.

Really, I'm like the rather disappointing youngest child who hasn't managed to live up to her older MFP siblings :blushing: but I have lost a good amount of weight and am hoping to continue the downward trend, and I am fitter than I think I've ever been.

I bite my thumb at anyone who has the gall to judge a complete stranger!

I wish you well on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That was possibly one of the greatest posts I've read on here. I have eaten like crap the last few days, and didn't log a single calorie, for the same reason. You've done a great job, and doing it your way is the best way. Keep it up! :smile:
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke (quit almost 15 years ago) and random people on the street would always be like, "you know, those will kill you?" I mean, duh, really? Is there anyone in America who is smoking in 2012 because they think it's an incredible health tonic? It says it RIGHT ON THE PACKAGE. Since I am illiterate, with my BA and MA in English, I was unable to read or understand that Surgeon General's Warning on every single pack of cigarettes, so thx 4 the heads up! U saved my lyf!

Is there anyone who doesn't know you can die super suddenly with pretty much no warning from high blood pressure?

Is there anyone who is like, "chugging a pound of melted butter daily will make me thin"?

Is there anyone who is on an "all granulated white cane sugar all the time" diet who is like "wh00t"?

How about the heart attack weight loss plan where you induce a heart attack and hope that while you are in recovery you will magically lose weight?

Please. People aren't stupid. We're just self destructive and have a hard time loving + nurturing ourselves. The fact that it can kill you is actually a compelling subconscious reason to keep doing it! It's dangerous and decadent. Show me a person who isn't the least bit interested in being naughty and I will show you a person who is dead. At the same time, those of us who are struggling with diet tend to have a lot of guilty feelings about food. Why some people on here seem to deliberately set out to make people feel even more ashamed of all the ways they aren't perfect -- it eludes me.

All my best to you for figuring out a tiered plan to work on your dietary issues, and then setting appropriate boundaries with others so that you can feel comfortable following through. Your successes thus far are totally awesome.
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great story here, you need to do what is best for you. Good luck in your goals!!!
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Good for you sir. I hardly ever look at the sodium or sugar intake myself. Do what works for you.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I haven't had the well meaning messages (or not so well meaning) about my food choices yet, but I have had a post I made cause a tidal wave of bile to nearly engulf me. I'm so new to this and still so insecure about my weight loss that it was devastating to have people take something that was meant in a good way to choose to take it to mean something horrible. It was almost enough to make me give up on the boards and all they support they offer.

So I can definitely understand why you would close your diary. I think you are doing exactly what you need to do to be successful. I've made the mistake in the past to try to switch from some really bad eating habits to what I considered bunny food overnight. It obvsiously didn't work 'cause here I am, still trying.

In fact, the main thing that gave me the motivation to keep at it this time around was realizing that I could eat almost anything and still lose weight.

This journey is a marathon, not a sprint. You did not acquire bad eating habits over night and will not fix them overnight. You are making positive changes. Just being aware of what you are eating is a huge improvement! I'm glad to hear you are doing what is sustainable for you. :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I have countlessly opened and closed my diary throughout the year because of the criticism. Then I just started deleting friends, more than 50 is ridiculous.
  • pg1946
    pg1946 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful post! You have summed up many of my thoughts perfectly. I have never opened my diary other than to a single personal friend. I don't care what other people think of my food choices. I do what works for me. Congratulations to you on how you have managed your life and family, and now your way of eating!! I am so glad I read your post. We must do what is best for ourselves in the long run. Good luck and continued success!!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My sodium is way too high, but I don't give a fhuck. I do what I can, and that's all we can do. I didn't lose 51 pounds by being the sodium Nazi after all. I am aware of my sodium intake, and I try to curb it but I think what is most important is that we make healthier choices, and if it's between mcdonald's or subway, I think subway wins! If people emailed me everyday concerned about my sodium, I would flip out! LOL

Anyway, great for you for getting as far as you have!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the heartfelt post.

I keep my diary open because the accountability works for me. I'm a natural backslider so knowing there are people who are waiting for my posts keeps me from drifting away from my goals. This has been difficult at times because I'm hypersentitive to any negative comments-even the well meaning ones but I keep my friends list small and we seem to have much in common so being supportive comes easily.

I hope this works for you and also serves as a "wake-up to yourself" to those people who type/text before they think.

One of my first friends on MFP was Gary1977. Gary has lost 237 pounds since joining MFP and is a constant source of inspiration to me, not because of his weighloss success but because he's a regular guy and has good days and bad, successes and disappointments and still slogs on with the rest of us...
  • LindaVas
    LindaVas Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed also. I do what works for me.
    Congrats on your loss and good luck on your goals!
    You can do it!!
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well said! Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    Well said!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    totally agree with what you are saying. Family always comes first for me. Great post and good job, keep it up at your pace.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    When I first saw the length of your post I didn't think I would read it through. However, it was probably one of the best posts I have ever read on here.
    Loved your story. Well written and well said.

You certainly have this...it is a lifestyle change, and you need to do was is right for YOU to make it that. Congrats on losing all that butter! :happy:
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great read this morning, thank you. I related to many things in your post. In particular, your second job with great pay, but no life, as well as not making your diary public. I made mine public, and mistakenly friended someone who commented on everything! (I since notice to person is no longer on MFP and think people complained enough about him he got kicked off). Like many nutritionists and weight loss experts will say depriving yourself of certain favorite foods is not sustainable. However, your approach of allowing indulgences in moderation is the right way to do it.

Great job on your successes in every aspect of your life. Again, thanks for the nice read this morning I enjoyed it.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you have lost!!!

I completely agree, you have to do what works for you and it has to be something you are going to stick with even if it is what someone else considers wrong.

I was worried when I first started that I would get the same response as you did because my sodium is never in check. I decided though, I wasn't going to let others rule my life. I haven't come across that, yet.

If and when I do I will thank them for their concern and carry on. Then I will wait for the delete when I don't straighten up....lol

Good luck to you on the rest of you lifestyle change. :flowerforyou:
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I recently closed my diary as well. Too much pressure. Best of luck to you.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    P.S. - Yesterday, I awoke at 3 a.m. to revise my powerpoint presentation for my speech later that morning, attended two different meetings for two different state bar committees in two different locations, gave my speech in front of 350 lawyers and judges, met son #2 for lunch, drove home from Austin to Houston, and attended son #4's tournament baseball team tryout. My diary for the day:

Two bagels from Einsteins (one six cheese toasted with butter, and yes, I logged both the bagel AND the butter, and one dutch apple with nothing on it), three cups of coffee (yes, I logged the skim milk in them), one 1/3 pound bacon cheeseburger from Hutt's with onions, hickory smoked barbeque sauce, pickles, applewood smoked bacon and shredded cheddar cheese), three massive onion rings (yep, logged the ketchup too), three diet cokes, two Dr. Pepper bolds, five glasses of water, a bag (I am not kidding you) of jelly beans (yes, I logged this too), two pumpkin oat bars (hey, I had to have SOMETHING healthy), and two Lacey's almond and dark chocolate wafer sandwich cookies. But I DID stay within calories for the day! Wouldn't do that every day, but I sure don't regret doing it yesterday.

Doin' the happy dance in Houston (or is just the sugar buzz shakes? Who knows!).

Scott R.
  • myogibbs
    Options
    You have a gift for words...guess you did choose the correct profession...I commend you for your efforts to get healthy & change for the better!!!! I agree with you that living life is far more important that justifying yourself like that every day. Please stick with it & know YOU are worth it & you and your family deserve this after all you have been through. Sorry that some people on here are so extreme. I guess I have been lucky b/c I have only gotten the upmost support from every single person on here. Keep up the great work & best of luck to you!!!