September Challenge - Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred.

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Day 3 completed last night and i actually feel better, i took the advise (thanks ladies) and stretched longer afterwards and today i'm still sore, but i can feel the relief, i'm glad i powered through becuase to be honest i really didn't want to do it last night.
    I think i'm going to do a day off after each level, what do you think? or should it be sooner than that? i just think my body will need a break! Also are you guys also sticking to a calorie intake? mine is 1200, i'm finding that challenging but i'm doing it. :bigsmile:
    In the workout suggestions section of the DVD, Jillian says to take a rest or two every week and that your muscles need to rest in order to respond the way you want them to. I made my rest day Sunday, so I did one day, took a rest day, and then will continue on Level 1 through Saturday. After my rest day on Sunday I'm going to start Level 2.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I think i'm going to do a day off after each level, what do you think? or should it be sooner than that? i just think my body will need a break! Also are you guys also sticking to a calorie intake? mine is 1200, i'm finding that challenging but i'm doing it. :bigsmile:
    I never went more than 6 days of it at a time during my first round. With the calories, people here often recommend to "eat back" the calories that you burn doing the shred, which is about 200 for me, so I aim to eat more like 1350 (my normal goal) + 200 cals.
  • glad2bjar
    glad2bjar Posts: 13 Member
    After only 4 days doing this brilliant DVD I am delighted to report that my flab, which made awful noises flopping about as I did the butt kicks/jumping jacks, is no longer making those awful embarrassing noises!!! The DVD must be working already!!!!! I LOVE Jillian!

lucky! i got a ways to go before that happens. lol. but the noise has gotten a little quieter.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I'm in. I started this back in May or June and never finished because she got on my nerves. Knowing other people are doing it too could possibly motivate me! (I have been doing her Banish Fat and Boost Metabolism one- she still gets on my nerves, lol). Excuses, Excuses. I need to stay motivated! :tongue:
    I personally like her but I've read that some people turn down the sound and put in their own music, once they know how to do the exercises.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Day 6 of week 1 of RI30 Done. Was feeling very sluggish this morning and almost didn't do it but I pushed PLAY, DID YOU?
  • I started this back in May then got sick ad had to stop (not because of the shred might I add). I have started day one again today and god was it hard! It made me think I really want/need to get through it this time. So as extra motivation I am going to post this even though I am really embarrassed by these numbers.

Here are my day one stats (in inches):

waist 46
    Hip 36
    Thigh 25
    arm 13
  • gingerjen7
    Just finished Day 7 of Level 1! Level 2 starts tomorrow. So far I'm down 1.4 lbs and 3.5". Feels good! I am going to do some yoga later today, though. I need some serious stretching!
  • limico91
    limico91 Posts: 68 Member
    Day 2 of level 1 completed, i'm really sore, my thighs are killing me, does that feeling get better? any good stretching tips to prevent this?

Ive just completed day 5 level 1 and Im still really sore. Its mainly my bum, groin and thighs so much so if I sit for too long I seize up and walk like an old lady! :P
    I shall keep an eye on here for stretching tips in order to actually walk properly! :P
    In my first round of the Shred, I took D7 off, and felt much better. I always add this stretch to the end of the DVD: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMaximus/Lying.html

Thank you! I did this stretch last night and this morning did a car boot and was worried with all the lifting how I was going to be if I was aching, but I am ache free. Completed todays one and am ache free again! Thank you!
    Day 7 level 1 done today and I can definitely feel the difference in my endurance! Although am dreading level 2 already!
  • Zoelesley
    Zoelesley Posts: 37 Member
    Hi guys, i just did day 6 on level 1 last night and i actually am feeling better, not as sore anymore and can feel a huge different in my endurence from day 1 and 2. Hoping this continues.
  • gingerjen7
    So, being day 10, should we post some more stats?

CW: 124.4 lbs
    GW: N/A
    waist: 28.25"
    hips: 35.5"
    arms: both 11"
    things: both 20"
    chest: 36"
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I fell a couple days behind, but I've been having the worst stomach pains. I hope to do the Shred today. Otherwise, walking it is.
  • moomaq
    moomaq Posts: 24 Member
    Ive just completed my 1st work out. i'm in.. I'll post up my measurements soon

Has anyone worked out how you could enter them into the exercise section in myfitnesspal?

thanks

MOO
  • Navy_Bean
    Navy_Bean Posts: 29 Member
    I did the 30 Day Shred. It's a great program! Jillian is my favorite trainer. I am doing Body Revolution right now. I plan to repeat the last 2 phases.
  • desirae1983
    desirae1983 Posts: 58 Member
    Going to start tonight! I am actually pretty excited!! Will post measurements later :)
  • Zoelesley

Has anyone worked out how you could enter them into the exercise section in myfitnesspal?

thanks

MOO
  • Zoelesley

thanks

MOO

I've logged it in as circuit training for 25 mins!
  • desirae1983
    desirae1983 Posts: 58 Member
    Ok! Day 1 Level 1:

I was surprised by how much it kicked my butt! When I skimmed thru the video - it didn't look that difficult but - wow.

Here are my measurements:

Arm: 16
    Waist: 51.5
    Thigh: 31
    Hips: 52

So...yeah. I need all the butt-kicking I can get!
  • enchampion
    enchampion Posts: 11 Member
    How is everyone tracking it in exercise?
  • gingerjen7
    Finished the first day of Level 2--almost successfully. I did the low-impact version of plank jacks and squat thrusts, and on one round did a single jump rope instead of a double. And I only made it about a quarter or the way through the second set of chair squats with v-flys. That stuff is no joke, people.

As for how I track it: just before I started, I did the free 7 day trial at jillianmichaels.com, which had almost all of her work out DVDs in a similar database as the one on MFP (it didn't have No More Trouble Zones, wtf?) and it said that I would burn the same number of calories doing 30 minutes of 30 Day Shred Level 1 as I would doing 30 minutes of stationary biking at a moderate resistance/pace. So then I used this database to find out how many calories I'd theoretically burn doing 28 minutes of stationary biking at a moderate pace (it was pretty close to what I found on jillianmichaels.com, except that Jillian's website only lets you track in five minute intervals) and then built my own exercise and manually entered the same number of calories. However, that night I got a new battery for my HRM and the next time I did the workout I used my HRM and found it was a full 20 calories less than the estimates I was given on MFP and jillianmichaels.com. Now I stick with the HRM. Some days I guess I don't put as much in, or maybe it's the time of day, but I've been as low as 161 and as high as 185 (and that day I did a couple extra minutes of cardio because I needed to burn off an extra 10 calories I went over). JM has it at 203 (for my weight) for 30 minutes. I don't think the extra 2 minutes would really make that big a difference!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    L1 D4 done. I took one rest day after day 1 as I was so sore, and one rest day on Sunday as we went out as a family and I had no time/was super tired by the end of the day!

I'm hoping I don't have to take another rest day on this level. The soreness and my strength has improved massively already, so I'm expecting to take the next rest day after L2 Day1, when I know I'll be in agony!

Although most exercises are now easier, I'm not going to hop up to level 2 until I can do all the push ups and anterior raises with perfect form - they're killing me at the moment.

I've experienced some weird weight changes though - I lost 1.5lbs in the first 2 days then gained 4 freakin' lbs on day 4! I've lost one of them this morning (day5) but hope the rest come off soon! I know it may be water/sodium related (not TOM) or muscle gain, but if they don't go away soon I'm going to add in some extra cardio and see what happens.