Why I closed my diary.

Options

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've been here 6 weeks and as of today, down 13 pounds. I keep my diary closed for the exact same reason; also, I know that I would be tempted to lie or not log certain things if I mess up on a certain day. Since nobody can know how any of us were eating before we started, nobody could fully understand how much progress we've made! It's a journey! And like you said, you have to find a way of eating that you can stick with for life!

I read every word of your post and found it very inspiring for LOTS of reasons. Congratulations on all your successes and I wish you all the best in your weight loss/fitness journey! :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I understand.

I am always flattered when people invite me to friend them. But I found that thinking about people looking at my food diary makes me too self-conscious. I think about that when I'm logging and I don't want to.

I just want to eat what is best for me and to be brutally honest with myself.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I get your point and you seem to have a great plan to start with the small sacrifices and then worry about weening off the sugars/sodium later. You have to do what is sustainable for you and whatever keeps you logging is great.

That being said it is clear you are a lawyer. You like to brag about yourself and your career and unless I missed something it seems to have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. haha just an observation.

Actually, I included the info about where I've been in my life to show that I (like everyone else), have had to work to overcome obstacles. As part of that, I have made choices. Big choices and little choices. Some have worked out for the best, some were very bad. But regardless, I've always tried to make the best of the hand that's been dealt to me, and that I've dealt to myself. And that is why I have made the choice-- right or wrong-- to work toward knocking off 79 pounds (to get under 400) before I try to deal with the sodium and sugar issues that others feel are important now. If your house is on fire and your credit card payment is a day late, you deal with the fire first and the credit card company later.

I don't like movies or tv shows that spoon feed the plot to me and don't leave me room to think. That is why I didn't include that paragraph in my first post.
  • Ljkshs
    Ljkshs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you for losing your weight so far.
    I agree with you, you have to eat what you like....maybe just smaller portions.
    I for one cannot not live on carrot sticks.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey, sounds like you know & and are doing what works for you..
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I started on here as 5,000 to 7,000 calorie per day closet, shame eater who would scarf those incredible bright orange, cream filled cupcakes from Hostess. Yeah, you know the ones, with the while swirl of icing on top of the orange sheet of icing, on top of that bright orange spongy cake and that sweet, creamy, white filling in the middle... ohhhhhh yeah.......
    I have no idea what these are but they sound revolting! :tongue:

I would have no problem with a friend seeing this as a manage lifestyle change and doing a 3-4 days on 3-4 off kind of deal if that's what they need to do to stick with it and they are still losing (or not gaining if at maintenance).

I've never had my friends email me about exceeding my sodium ... or my fat... or calorie goal for that matter. I find that strange. If someone is struggling to lose and wants input, then yeah, I'll look at their diary and give a critique - but only when invited to do so!

Do what works for you! Congratulations on all your success - your winning attitude will get you to your weight goal in the end.
  • SteevzGirl
    SteevzGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I am new to MFP, and am loving it so far, but you've got to do what works for you and what you can live with. I had previously lost 50 lbs and have kept it off for a number of years by making changes I can live with. MFP is giving me the tools and determination to stay on track for the last 65 (now 62) lbs on my journey. You have a wonderful personal history of doing what needs to be done to improve your life, and I know you will succeed with your weight loss goals. Thanks sharing your inspiring story!
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your success and your lifestyle change. I usually eat a cheat meal once a week, which 9 times out of 10 is Chinese. And I know without it, I would not only lose my sanity but COMPLETELY give up on losing weight. It's great that you know what will work for you and DO it. Keep up the good work, you are well on your way!
  • SlvrStarr
    Options
    Well said. Congratulations on your progress! This journey is a personal one for each of us and each of us has to decide what works for us. I've been fortunate that none of my friends criticize my diary. I also know that a plan I can live with includes the occasional subway & pizza. This is about changing my lifestyle, and that needs to happen one step at a time. And it needs to be a lifestyle I can sustain long term.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I get your point and you seem to have a great plan to start with the small sacrifices and then worry about weening off the sugars/sodium later. You have to do what is sustainable for you and whatever keeps you logging is great.

That being said it is clear you are a lawyer. You like to brag about yourself and your career and unless I missed something it seems to have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. haha just an observation.

Actually, I included the info about where I've been in my life to show that I (like everyone else), have had to work to overcome obstacles. As part of that, I have made choices. Big choices and little choices. Some have worked out for the best, some were very bad. But regardless, I've always tried to make the best of the hand that's been dealt to me, and that I've dealt to myself. And that is why I have made the choice-- right or wrong-- to work toward knocking off 79 pounds (to get under 400) before I try to deal with the sodium and sugar issues that others feel are important now. If your house is on fire and your credit card payment is a day late, you deal with the fire first and the credit card company later.

I don't like movies or tv shows that spoon feed the plot to me and don't leave me room to think. That is why I didn't include that paragraph in my first post.

You can brag all you like. You've worked hard for those bragging rights. Just like you are working hard towards your next accomplishment... which I am very sure you will succeed with your determination and self-motivation.
  • rarnold281
    Options
    That is exactly why my food diary is private. I know what works for me. I am down 23 lbs since I started on MFP.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    What a lovely post, thank you for sharing. :smile:
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
    Love that - I like being able to read between the lines!
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well spoken, sir. The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Also,as a newbie to MFP, I am very happy to see the overwhelmingly positive response to this post! Nice to see the world is not just nasty comments and judgement.
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Excellent. I've never opened my food diary simply because I don't want to be tempted to lie. It's hard enough to tell myself the truth. Even my wife doesn't get to see it.

This is exactly why I have never opened my food diary. I know what I should eat, and will lie about it if other people will see. Keeping it closed keeps me honest. Soon I will go visit a dietitian and I will let her or him see what I've been eating. Having given this one professional a license to nag I expect that I will be able to give them the truth so they can help me find appropriate tweaks.
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options

ahh K.. I gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well said, thank you.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    You can brag all you like. You've worked hard for those bragging rights. Just like you are working hard towards your next accomplishment... which I am very sure you will succeed with your determination and self-motivation.

^^ THIS

All of your life needs to be a balance. You've learned that well in your career and family. The food and exercise is also a balance. I don't look at those days I go a bit over in my calories or make less than ideal choices as 'cheats'. I try to plan for them by workout out a little bit harder the day before, day of and day after. I am working on not beating myself up when I go a little extra overboard than planned, or don't get quite as much time in the gym or on the treadmill.

the weight will come off!! As long as your expectations for how long it will take aren't overly aggressive you will meet all your goals in your timeline. Most importantly, you will be here to continue to see that wonderful family and enjoy those grandkids for a long time to come.

Good luck!!!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I love the background and your success! Congrats!!

One thing confuses me though....you said "why i closed my diary".

But it is still open??
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Sodium, processed sugar, subway, taco bell.... these things will not inhibit weight loss. People giving you **** for this? I would just laugh at them while you move toward your goals happy and healthy and they grind their teeth in misery.