Chicks that drive stick

Options

Replies

• domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I find it such a turn off when I guy can't drive manual.

I doubt most guys would admit it if they couldn't! ;)
  • Lee_louh
    Lee_louh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK. It's very unusual to learn anything other than stick-shift (manual as we call it). I only know one person who learnt in an automatic (and therefore got an auto-only license.)
    Slightly off track, but a recent survey found that 84% of privately owned vehicles in the UK are manual.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can, but I'm Dutch and practically everybody drives stick here :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

I downshift as much as possible before taking it out of gear.. my first clutch lasted for over 10 years in my subaru... It was the original that my came in the car when my family bought it... I plan on having the new clutch last just as long.

So far, you're the only one who approaches a light properly. Cars prefer it when you downshift through the gears while slowing down. It'll save your clutch and your brakes.

I'm sorry, ladies, but just because you drive a stick doesn't mean you know how (that goes for men as well).

Heel-toe shifting. Learn it, do it. It's easy once you get used to it.

*puts on flame suit*
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I find it such a turn off when I guy can't drive manual.

I doubt most guys would admit it if they couldn't! ;)

Lol. Right?
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Although I learned to drive using a stick shift car, it's been a while. I don't think I've totally forgotten. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it again.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I love driving standard, but I probably woudn't own one. I just like the control of driving one every so often, and knowing that I'd be able to drive someone else around in their manual car if needed, like if they were drunk and needed to get home or if they had to go to the hospital. It's a good thing to know.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I'm a Jeep girl so I usually drive a standard. I just read an article that standard transmissions are becoming more rare because people prefer automatics. What is the point of an automatic transmission in a Jeep?

Some people prefer being able to modulate the brakes and throttle simultaneously which tackling difficult terrain. Allows for less jerky movement.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    ... The last question best applies.

I like a girl who can drive a stick, I'm often disappointed to a slight degree if she's incapable of doing so, but I don't care if her car is actually auto or standard.

I drive an automatic but only because it's so damned hard to find a cheap vehicle that's a standard.

I learned on a stick, hated it, and drove an automatic for a couple of years. I finally got bored of an automatic and started driving stick a little over a year ago now. I agree that it's super hard to find a cheap vehicle that comes with a stick anymore. I searched for 3 months, trying to find a car that I would love that had a stick. Every single sales person I ran into raised their eyebrows and was shocked that I stated I refused to buy anything other than a stick shift car. I finally found the Nissan Sentra, 2012 base version that has a stick. I found it last November, and I LOVE IT. My first stick that I had bought was the toyota supra last June 2011. I'm actually dissapointed to have gotten rid of it, but it wasn't reliable and I needed a reliable car.
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yep, learned to drive in one, took my driver's test in one, but now I have an auto. I'd drive a stick again if I had one lol, no question.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Goes to show the cultural difference(one of them anyway) between North America and the UK... someone in the UK sees this and thinks "who can't drive stick? Who owns an automatic even? lol. If I'm not mistaken it's the ratio of autos to sticks is almost flip-flopped between the UK and North America (probably 90/10 I'd guess). Even if a car is available in Europe and North America the North American version usually has no stick shift option(don't even get me started on diesels)... it really sucks. It's downright difficult to find a decent stick car around here, they're almost all automatic :(
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

Shift into neutral. I'm lazy like that.

me too! not because i'm lazy...ok yes, because i'm lazy...i should really downshift!!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I downshift as much as possible before taking it out of gear.. my first clutch lasted for over 10 years in my subaru... It was the original that my came in the car when my family bought it... I plan on having the new clutch last just as long.

So far, you're the only one who approaches a light properly. Cars prefer it when you downshift through the gears while slowing down. It'll save your clutch and your brakes.

I'm sorry, ladies, but just because you drive a stick doesn't mean you know how (that goes for men as well).

*puts on flame suit*

It doesn't make sense in my head to downshift through gears when you go from 55 to 0 in about 10 seconds. Plus my shifter sticks (problem from the previous owner) so if my stick go caught in 4 th gear and I'm slowing to 10mph, id stall out. I think that would do more damage then coasting in neutral.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I took my drivers test on one. Drove one up into a few years ago. Sadly they don't make mini-vans with manual transmissions.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I like a girl who can drive a stick, I'm often disappointed to a slight degree if she's incapable of doing so, but I don't care if her car is actually auto or standard.

I drive an automatic but only because it's so damned hard to find a cheap vehicle that's a standard.

I learned on a stick, hated it, and drove an automatic for a couple of years. I finally got bored of an automatic and started driving stick a little over a year ago now. I agree that it's super hard to find a cheap vehicle that comes with a stick anymore. I searched for 3 months, trying to find a car that I would love that had a stick. Every single sales person I ran into raised their eyebrows and was shocked that I stated I refused to buy anything other than a stick shift car. I finally found the Nissan Sentra, 2012 base version that has a stick. I found it last November, and I LOVE IT. My first stick that I had bought was the toyota supra last June 2011. I'm actually dissapointed to have gotten rid of it, but it wasn't reliable and I needed a reliable car.

Do you know how hard it is to find a Supra these day for any kind of reasonable price? Every racers dream.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Goes to show the cultural difference(one of them anyway) between North America and the UK... someone in the UK sees this and thinks "who can't drive stick? Who owns an automatic even? lol. If I'm not mistaken it's the ratio of autos to sticks is almost flip-flopped between the UK and North America (probably 90/10 I'd guess). Even if a car is available in Europe and North America the North American version usually has no stick shift option(don't even get me started on diesels)... it really sucks. It's downright difficult to find a decent stick car around here, they're almost all automatic :(
    The only person I know personally who drives an automatic by choice is my 83 year old father-in-law, because of his strength and health, but right up until a couple of years ago he was driving manual.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Do i get extra points if the stick I drive is a one ton?
  • chivalryder
    Options

*puts on flame suit*

It doesn't make sense in my head to downshift through gears when you go from 55 to 0 in about 10 seconds. Plus my shifter sticks (problem from the previous owner) so if my stick go caught in 4 th gear and I'm slowing to 10mph, id stall out. I think that would do more damage then coasting in neutral.

Your second point is valid. If your transmission is messed up, and it's dangerous to downshift quickly, don't do it. Otherwise, it's actually faster to brake while downshifting. Your engine will produce a braking effect hen the revs increase, slowing your car faster. Relying on you brakes alone will wear them out faster, and holding the clutch in will wear out the clutch faster.

You have more control over the car when it's in gear too.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Do you know how hard it is to find a Supra these day for any kind of reasonable price? Every racers dream.

Which mark are we talking about? The last model wasn't very good, although it looks nice.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Lost me at this post isn't about sex! I can handle a stick just fine, and I'm not talking vehicle here ;)