BIKE HELMETS.....Do YOU wear one??

Options

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would be dead except for my bike helmet. I was passed out for 20 minutes, CAT scanned, seperated shoulder...big mess. Helmet was cracked in 5 places with rocks all stuck in it. It worked flawlessly. I would not climb on a bike without one. Thank you Giro.

It not a matter of if you will crash, but when.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do.
    I had a friend who didn't.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I would be dead except for my bike helmet. I was passed out for 20 minutes, CAT scanned, seperated shoulder...big mess. Helmet was cracked in 5 places with rocks all stuck in it. It worked flawlessly. I would not climb on a bike without one. Thank you Giro.

It not a matter of if you will crash, but when.

^^^^^this
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on my bike in ages, but would wear a helmet if I was gonna ride! A good helmet saved my nephew's bacon at least once. He went over the hood & windshield of a lady's car when she turned in front of him. Paramedics were impressed with the helmet (he rides for Team Specialized, and we are very thankful for the good gear they supply him with!!) and how well it protected his head. He was scraped and bruised, but walked away from the accident.

As much as I love the feeling of riding without a helmet, and grew up not ever wearing one, I would now, and always did back in my mountain biking days.

Be safe!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Yes, we wear helmets.
  • rkgirlusa
    Options
    I *always* wear a helmet. I like my brain in my head where it belongs.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My fiance was in a bike wreck a few years ago. If he hadn't been wearing his helmet he would have died. His head hit the asphalt and to see the helmet afterwards was gut-wrenching. Yes,
    i wear a helmet. You can get them for $30..... that's a cheap insurance policy if you ask me!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes always. I have crashed hard enough to shatter helmets. I still was pretty banged up but i was not a vegetable afterwards.

Whats sad us seeing people wear the incorrectly. Pushed back on your head is not correct.

But you're not wearing on in your profile picture....:huh:

Well said :huh: :noway:
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yes always. I have crashed hard enough to shatter helmets. I still was pretty banged up but i was not a vegetable afterwards.

Whats sad us seeing people wear the incorrectly. Pushed back on your head is not correct.

:huh:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I've witnessed too many scary brain injuries that come from head trauma to NOT wear a helmet, whether biking or snowboarding.

You only get one brain people, protect it!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The only reason that I still have a brother is that he was wearing a helmet when he got hit by a very large truck. The inside of that helmet looked like a cracked eggshell. That would have been his skull.

So yes. I wear a helmet. My kids also wear helmets, and they are absolutely not allowed to ride without one.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i wear a helmet now. i started riding my bike again after many many years this summer and without the helmet. but i almost fell a couple times. so i broke down and bought one. i look like a dork but at least im some what protecting my brain. people at the park and on the roads are crazy. lol.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Always! (But never used to - then again I didn't ride much)
    My parenting style is usually "do as I say - not as I do" but I thought about it and I realized it is just as important for my son to see me value my own life/health as much as I value his. Make sense?
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I always wear a helmet while biking and even while skiing now.

A few years ago I was testing out a new bike and didn't bring a helmet along with me. I figured I was just going around the block so no biggie. I don't know what happened but I wound up thrown from the bike and lost consciousness for a few minutes. No damage (well, broken collar bone, that healed), but it terrified me! The last bike I bought I wore a helmet to ride it around the store *lol*
  • danaweston
    Options
    YES I wear all the bike gear...helmet, gloves bike pants. Once I flipped my bike back over front because I hit the wrong brake OPPS. I was lucky and was not injured...but I DID have my helmet on.. they are comfortable, keep the sun off my head, and help to keep me warmer in the winter. Mine is pink:flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I felt so stupid when I first started back biking as an adult. I had never worn one as a kid. But I do triathlon and they are required so I figured I may as well get used to it. I can't imagine going without it now. Second nature.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Never. Helmets are for dorks. I've never seen anybody at the gym wearing a helmet in the stationary bike area.

On the other hand, if I owned a mobile bicycle, I would certainly wear a helmet. I figure, yeah, it looks stupid, but it looks a lot less stupid than leaving my little girl to take care of her damaged mama for the rest of her life, or worse yet, without a mama and living with her alcoholic cokehead *kitten* loser biodad that can't be bothered to cut her a check for swimming lessons. Wait, how did he show up here??
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it. When my son rides his bike (he's 3.) he has a helmet. I've never put one on him either when he is in the cart riding with us. The cart is supposed to be a 'no tip' cart, but maybe he should have one on then as well. I never thought of telling my kids to do it, and then not bothering to do it for myself...GOOD POINT!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I bike and ski, and wear a helmet doing either. You can get messed up even if you are really careful, really safe, and go slow -- even if you do everything right, that's no guarantee that there won't be some other person doing everything wrong with no regard for your safety. And there's no guarantee that some crud on the ground or a bike malfunction won't flip you over the handlebars -- that happened to me as a kid and I still have weird scars all over my elbows.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Never. Helmets are for dorks. I've never seen anybody at the gym wearing a helmet in the stationary bike area.

On the other hand, if I owned a mobile bicycle, I would certainly wear a helmet. I figure, yeah, it looks stupid, but it looks a lot less stupid than leaving my little girl to take care of her damaged mama for the rest of her life, or worse yet, without a mama and living with her alcoholic cokehead *kitten* loser biodad that can't be bothered to cut her a check for swimming lessons. Wait, how did he show up here??

Hahahahaha whaaaat? I think OP *was* talking about on "mobile" bikes. It is for sure dorky to wear a helmet on a stationary bike unless you have a medical condition that necessitates wearing a helmet always.