anyone given up bread?

Options
Bread.. it is the only thing which I will binge on anymore.
Despite the fact it makes me feel like complete and utter **** :( Very bloated and sick right now.

I don't even feel like bingeing on it, until I take the first bite. So decided... maybe I should just never take that first bite.. has anyone else given up bread, how long ago? How did you do it? And how do you feel now?

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    only for the next 5 days, omg these will be the longest 5 days EVER!
  • teally13
    Options
    I haven't given up bread but I'm trying to cut down. I had a slice the other night and I felt awful after it so maybe it is time to give it up completely.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    It just went off from my diet naturally, though I have there and that some bread. The thing is, independently from any specific food, should we run away the things we "binge" on ?
    If tomorrow, all od a sudden you find yourself drinking orange juice like a tank, would you cease to buy it ?

The way I see it, it's more about having an accurate knowledge of yourself and what drives such behaviors, focus on the causes, not the consequences :)
  • Ericgunner
    Options
    I would be interested know what other people have done, as I am also addicted to bread and it seems the one thing that I cannot stop.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat a lot of bread. I found some low carb low calorie whole wheat tortilla shells that I replaced my bread with. 50 calories per shell. I make all of my sandwiches on them.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Haven't given up bread but chose a lower calorie one that has helped curved those bread cravings. Natures 40cal bread toasted tastes pretty good :bigsmile:
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started using tortillas when I started cutting calories. Now, I use the 80 calorie buns, the 45 calorie whole grain bread and find since I don't love it as much as a fresh baked tasteing slice I am not tempted to eat the whole loaf.
    Another words, I just don't buy my favorites to test my will power :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to cutting down on things you binge on it's more important to try to learn to limit yourself. I, for example, have zero control when it comes to potato chips. So I pre-portion servings. Do the same with bread. Keep it around, but keep it frozen and defrost only what you'll eat. Or some similar stricture.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've just done 7 days without bread and I am.......no wait, I WAS a breadaholic. To be honest I haven't missed it a great deal but that's probably the novelty factor, I just need to learn to do it in moderation.

About 3 weeks ago I hit my bread all time low - I bought a loaf of sliced brioche with chocolate chips in it, stood in front of the toaster with the bread and a slab of butter and literally toasted my way through the ENTIRE loaf in under 30 minutes. I swear it's like the crack cocaine of bread. Did it taste great? Yuh huh? Was it worth the self loathing and disgust? Not on your nelly.

Determined to get a healthy relationship with it though. Baby steps.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I started using tortillas when I started cutting calories. Now, I use the 80 calorie buns, the 45 calorie whole grain bread and find since I don't love it as much as a fresh baked tasteing slice I am not tempted to eat the whole loaf.
    Another words, I just don't buy my favorites to test my will power :)

I still live with my parents - I don't really have a choice...
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is a true addiction feeling, because the wheat triggers the same endorphins as heroine. If you can, get a copy of Wheat belly. MIND BLOWING. Been off wheat since May. Haven't really lost weight, but it is nice to stop the binge. I have less pain, less headaches... It takes time to adjust, and I have slipped up, but after having to RRRRUUUUUNNN to the bathroom after having wheat, it was enough. I have a lot of support from my husband, and my mom, and sister are w.f. too...
    It sounds hard. It kinda is. but the payoff:flowerforyou: is so good. Hang in there.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've given up bread, dairy, grains and pasta with switching to Paleo, and I honestly haven't had a problem with it.

Easiest way? No bread in the house, no money to go out. Ta da!

That's my secret lol
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up... but, I'm thinking I should. I had fresh tomato and mozerella toast this morning for breakfast, and I am now feeling sick. Like you, I don't know how to quit when I start eating bread -- especially dinner rolls at places like O'Charley's (which I made the mistake of having the other night).
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give up bread :( I like toast too much, but I am trying not to eat it every single day x
  • judsywudsy
    judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Initially i gave up bread, because i absolutely love it. But then it gradually started to creep back in.. so i have chosen to have only 2 slices max for any one day and now i eat the lowest caloric bread i can find.. wholewheat bread-70 ( i am in Jamaica so the varieties are not as much. i find that i am not as addicted anymore. The bread may actually go stale in my house, that has never happened before now.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I've given up bread, dairy, grains and pasta with switching to Paleo, and I honestly haven't had a problem with it.

Easiest way? No bread in the house, no money to go out. Ta da!

That's my secret lol

I live with my parents and 2 younger brothers- I can't just get them to throw it out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    reduced a lot. Just too many calories in the great German and French breads so eat processed carboard-like stuff and have some bread every once in a while.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I love bread. Have just started making my own as well. Yum.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I gave up Bread and Pasta and really haven't missed it.
  • crazycakez
    Options
    I don't really eat bread. I try to keep my carb intake low to moderate (~100 grams), and one slice will blow my whole target for the day!

I will occasionally eat a pita or wrap of some sort, and VERY occasionally I will have some fresh bread if we go out to eat or something, but it's not a daily or even weekly thing. I don't miss it most of the time now. At first it's hard, but once you break the addiction the cravings go away. I think part of it is our mindset that we have to have bread at every meal - we get into the habit as kids, and it sticks with you! To me, now bread is an infrequent treat rather than a daily must-have.