Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had worked a late night the night before and was still in bed. I turned the TV on to sky news as I lay in bed and shortly after it all begun. It was so unreal, almost like a movie. Such a sad day.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Getting evacuated from a CitiGroup facility in Toronto. They emptied office towers in the downtown core
  • tafinney
    tafinney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was at home in Marietta, GA (USA) getting ready for work. On 09/12/2001, I was leaning over a recruiters desk asking to have my Medical Discharge (Type 1 Diabetes) waived so that I could re-enlist. They said no, repeatedly, for years. I finally gave up on asking 5 years ago.

I briefly read through some of the reply's and saw several military folks. Thank you all for your service to our nation. I am not saying that because of what day it is, I say that every day.
  • Navy_Bean
    Navy_Bean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my office, as a young associate in a big law firm in Kentucky. I was trying to send my brother an email to wish him a happy birthday, as he was born on 9/11. The internet was so jammed, nothing would go through. Once we figured out that the Towers were under attack, we watched the plane hit the second one live on TV.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was a sophomore in high school. I was taking the GRE exam. In any of the classes I was in after that, no one told us what happened, but there were rumors from other students. I felt like an @ss though because I didn't know, and when my mom picked me up from school, all I said was "someone said the government blew up!" I didn't know. People from two different cars glared and sweared at me.

I didn't know what happened until I got home that day; then I saw the replays. :(
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was in the military in Calfornia. Our base went on lockdown, and had to stay on base until the lockdown was over.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was in college and was doing field experience in an 8th grade classroom when the first tower was hit. We sat there in disbelief, but tried to keep the day going for the kids. The second tower was hit right as we were leaving to head back to campus. For most of the rest of the day, my friends and I sat at the coffeehouse. Not many went to classes for the rest of the day and those that did were allowed to leave early. It's certainly a day I will never forget.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I was in my junior year of High School I believe, sitting in class when the TV came on. Everything was cancelled the rest of the day, so we spent the day just watching the coverage as well and counseling was offered for affected students. I was in Massachusetts, so I'm sure there were a few people that needed emotional support in our area for any family and friends living/working in Manhattan.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I remember getting out of the shower while getting ready for 6th grade, then I saw the smoking towers on the TV. I honestly didn't know what it meant. I didn't understand the severity of what had happened, but I do remember fear. Me (being the naive 11 year old I was) started freaking out that they would come after the Denver Mint (not sure why, but I was convinced it would happen). It wasn't until 2 or 3 years later that I completely understood the magnitude of what happened, and my heart broke. Always Remember.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had just dropped my two older boys off at school-2nd grade and kindergarten. A friend told me that a plane had flown into one of the towers, and I assumed it was a small private plane. By the time I had walked home, the second plane had hit, and the entire world had changed. My husband was home with our youngest, and all I did for the next week was cry and worry that my children would never feel safe. 11 years have brought much change in ouir lives-and that of our world. Sending out love and prayers for all...
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my living room watching news with the parentals getting ready for school when I saw it. I had no idea what a big deal it was until a few days later when it was still the topic of conversation, I was so young
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Watching towers fall down in front of my face.

http://goo.gl/maps/89Vly

On my way to a gig one building south of WTC
  • soniabraids
    Options
    Driving to work in Arlington, VA when the first plane hit. Sitting in my offic 5 minutes away from the Pentagon when the second plane hit and when the Pentagon was hit ... did not believe it was real.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Living with my boyfriend at the time in Denver, Colorado--but I was born in New Jersey and have family in NYC, so many of the sights and buildings were familiar. I was watching the first few minutes of the Today Show like I always did before leaving for work, when the report of the plane hitting the first tower came in. At first, it sounded like an accident, a small plane crash, from the coverage. Then I saw the plane hit the 2nd tower, and ran upstairs to wake up my boyfriend. I called my mom (because my aunt lives in Brooklyn and at the time worked in Manhattan) and then another friend who was living in Germany at the time--she was married to an Army soldier and their base had just gone on Def Con (?) status and we couldn't talk for very long.

I called my work to tell them I was going to be late, and they said not to bother coming in--I worked in downtown Denver and some of the taller buildings were being evacuated because at that point no one knew what the hell was going on.

Got a call from my mom that my aunt was ok. Sat down and watched the coverage on TV for about the next 12 hours...so utterly heartbreaking, and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have been there (or at the Pentagon, or in Pennsylvania) at the time.

To anyone living in those areas or directly affected by the loss of a friend or loved one that day--my thoughts are with you.

:heart:
  • Strong_as_Oak
    Strong_as_Oak Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I was 6mnths into training at the Police Academy in London reaching the end of my training and about to be posted to my station. On the morning of 9/11 we were all placed on standby for deployment. There was a realistic chance we would also be a target at the same time.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    9th Grade ISTEP (standardized) test. My second month of high-school. They cancelled the testing for the rest of the day and we watched coverage on tv in every single class for the rest of the day.

I have a strong opinion of all of this today but none of that takes away the pain and suffering of the victims and their families, as well as the thousands of innocent middle eastern people, that I have much sympathy for today.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just dropped my daughter off at school. By the time I got back to pick her up, the lot was filled with police from two municipalities. She went to a Jewish school and nobody really knew what was going on so the police felt it was necessary to protect all these children. They stayed there until every child was safely picked up. And we live in Wisconsin!
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    On my way to school...10th grade.
  • np11073
    Options
    I had just walked into my home office and turned on the morning news. At first they were reporting a small plane had crashed into the WTB. I immediately turned on the television. They were showing the smoke and fire of the first building. I watched in horror as the second plane came into view and hit the second tower. I sat in my chair for a long time unable to process what had really happened. We had been attacked and I did not know why? I tried to call my wife but he lines were busy. I wanted to go to my sons' school and bring them home. I think everyone of us shared the same emotions. Why would anyone want to attack us. We were not at war. I was angry. I was afraid. I was insecure. We all lost our innocence that day.
  • tasiamere
    Options
    I was in my 11th grade Humanities class. An announcement came over the loud speaker when the first plane hit. We had a moment of silence and some kids were excused to call their parents. Shortly thereafter the loudspeaker was on again and we were told a second plane hit and the US was under a terrorist attack. Our school fire alarm went off and the whole school started to panick. We all went outside and cell phones were not getting service, people were panicking. It was awful. I never remember being more sad and panick stricken. To this day I still cannot believe the tragedy we suffered as a country and send my condolences to those affected so severely 11 years ago.