I found a bra size calculator that ISN'T wrong! OMG!

Options

Replies

• speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have to shop in plus-size stores, and I think they assume every fat girl has HUGE boobs. Even when I get the proper cup size, there's a ton of cup leftover at the top (practically near my shoulder blade) that's loose. I cannot wait until I can wear bras from VS again. Their cups actually fit, but their band sizes don't go up high enough (I'm somewhere between a 40 and a 42, depending on the bra).

I'd double-check that, but I'm at work, and VS is blocked. ;) They max out at a 38 band, right? Or maybe it's 40?
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This could be why my bras aren't working that well lately. My cup size (D) seems accurate but this calculator says I should be a 34, not a 36. I'm going to check that out!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Wow. Um, most of the time I wear a 40C but this calculator says I'm a 38DD. (36 underbust, 42 bust, 38 overbust) But the 40C seems to fit me fine. I'm not sure if my boobs would be big enough to fill the DD cup required. I wasn't going to buy new bras until I'm done with this journey to make sure I don't end up losing any boobage. XD
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    36G!! I think I'm going to cry. :sad:
    I've been wearing a 38DD, which I'm always popping out of. Seriously where do you find a 36G sized bra that you don't have to take out a loan to buy? :sad:
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This isn't as accurate as I would have hoped for.

I entered in my measurements, and it gave me 34DD which is what I'm currently wearing. It's miles too big around the back and is therefore giving me NO support. I constantly readjust myself throughout the day.

My back measures 32", so it makes zero sense to get anything bigger.

1) Measure your back in inches. That's your back size. If it's an odd number, try the size either side.
    2) Try different sizes in the shop. You can get fitted in a lot of shops. If you're smaller, try a B. Medium sized? Try a C. Bigger? Try a D. Big? Try an E... etc.

It's not rocket science to get your bra size right, and I'm unsure why so many women are wearing the wrong sizes. Apparantly 75% of the female population wear the wrong size bra, and aren't getting the right support.

No support = bad for your breast tissues and you shall no doubt end up with them facing south!

my back is 30 inches, and around my bust is 36 inches. i've never seen a bra with a 30 inch band size, and even some of my 32s are extremely tight around the back, with the bra wire coming way too close to my under arm. 34s on the other hand are way too loose and i can fit my fist between my back and the band. bras are complicated!

i think a lot of women wear the wrong bra sizes because most stores in america only carry a limited amount of sizes. for example, any time i see a 32 band, it only goes up to a B or C cup, and the only time i see DD or larger is on bras with 36 or 38 inch bands. i don't know why bra manufacturers assume that every woman with a narrow ribcage has a flat chest, or that any woman with a large bosom must also have a wide back. the only time i've ever found a "selection" of big cup/small band bras is online or in specialty stores, and i hate paying $80 for underwear!

and swimwear is even worse! $100 for awful halter tops that give me serious neck pain and migraines. not fun. i managed to find a suit last winter that has an underwire and regular bra straps. it only went up to a D cup but i don't spill out of it too much, and it's really cute so i didn't mind spending a ton of cash on it.

it really makes me wonder about the people that are designing, manufacturing, and selling these bras ...
  • Sandibeach17
    Sandibeach17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Great info.
  • suegmune
    Options
    Wow, it says I should be an H? Something is seriously wrong. I need a real fitting. I've gone down in size, but haven't bought any new bras yet. Wonder why.
  • Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! Still going! To all those this helps--or at least gets you into a store that knows their business, I'M SO HAPPY I've helped!

No one who "disbelieves" the tool will every come back, but I can't say enough (apparently!): Cup size ISN'T static. And HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR BREAST VOLUME. It is merely a reflection of the difference between the measure of your rib cage *just* under your breasts, and the measure of your bust across your breasts.

Support comes from the band--not the straps. This is important, so I'll repeat it, support comes from the band and not the straps!

I don't care "what you've always been"--you can't have "always been that size" because most sizers agree that if you've gained or lost 5-10lbs your bra size--band AND (possibly) cup have changed.

(I'm speaking in US chart terms here ladies--but I believe the concept translates and bra manufacturers appear to have the same confusing sizing concepts the world over)
    an "A" cup in a 40 is the same size CUP (you know that part that holds your ladies in) as:

CUP in a 40A=CUP in a 38B=CUP in a 36C=CUP in a 34D=CUP in a 32DD=CUP in a 30DDD=CUP in a 28DDDD

Given that--is it REALLY that impossible, that as you've lost weight--if your breasts really have remained the same size (heaven forbid)--the band went down in size (as did you! Good JOB!), but the CUP SIZE WENT UP. Yup. That's the truth.
    SO! DON'T YOU WANT YOUR LADIES TO STAND UP PROUD?? Since support comes from--where? YES, SUPPORT COMES FROM THE BAND. You want a SNUG band. If "you've always been" having gaping, double boob, SAGGY looking breasts and bought push up bras in hope of help, or cinched your straps to try to "haul up" the ladies--if you've "always" felt slightly bummed about how you look in a tee shirt because of how your breasts look, if you--I'm NOT JOKING--want to look, like 5-10lbs lighter because your bra fits right, holding your breasts up proud and hiding your stomach just a little bit better--then just TRY the size your measurements give you, or go see a GOOD ligurie sizer.
    Don't believe me? Go try that bad boy on! And remember, don't measure over your clothes.

Listen to plantgrrl. The woman speaks the truth. I had to learn it the hard way-- you don't have to! I second everything she's saying, and only have one thing to add:

Bra shopping is made even more complicated for D+ women because once you get above a D cup, manufacturers don't agree on what to call the cup sizes.

Some work their way down the alphabet:
    D, E, F, G, H, etc

Some keep adding D's:
    D, DD, DDD, DDDD, DDDDD, etc

Some do a combination of both:
    D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG, H, etc

And so a 34H in Panache, for example, is a full 3 cup sizes larger than a 34H in Goddess. Not because their sizes run big, but because they simply chose a different lettering system for their sizes. Yet another reason some might think the calculator is way off!

So if you're bra shopping online, my advice is to figure out how many cups above a D you are. Once you know that, look at each brand's sizing charts and count up from D to get your cup size in that brand.

Or, herroom.com has introduced "universal cup sizing" on their site, which makes it easier to figure it out. Even if you don't buy there, you can go there, figure out that a 6D is a GG in the brand you're interested in, and shop elsewhere.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bumping for a look at later..
  • christylynn622
    christylynn622 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    interesting! Will have to try at home.
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump, great info
  • Anon4678
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Definitely need to check this out later.
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    bump
  • Karen5732
    Karen5732 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump !
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I watched Clinton Kelly on the Chew one day talk about how most women needed to wear a smaller band size and a larger cup size - this calculator matches his theory.

However, It has me at a 30 D - I was 36DD when I started my lifestyle change - now I"m buying 32B. I don't even know if they make a 30D bra.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    38 DDD that cant be right. I normally wear DD
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Bump. Gotta check this out later!