What would you tell yourself in the beginning?

Options

Replies

• DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Get all the numbers. Measurements. Body Fat %. You'll wonder later just how far you've really come.

Don't set a goal weight. Exercise will cause muscle gain. Set a goal of body fat %. The end weight will be what it is.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Lift Weights!!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    Lift weights
    Mix it up every 3-4 weeks, your body gets used to what you are doing
    Just take it one day at a time
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    Bump- great thread
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump... i'm pretty much at the beginning now... and you all have some good advice here!
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks dear!! It hasn't been easy, that is for sure!!!
    I would tell myself that it's not going to be easy and to create realistic goals and to NOT compare myself to others. I'm still trying to remind myself of this today, 7 months into this journey!

You look fantastic!! *pokes abs* :D
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great thread!! Very inspiring for someone 7 weeks in (me).
  • traumacode3
    traumacode3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am answering this on a bittersweet morning. As I get up and prepare to get ready for my last official appointment with my dietitian in a 12 week weight loss program I would tell someone what my dietitian has taught me over 12 weeks.
    1. This is a journey not a race. You didnt get where you are overnight and you won't get where you want to be overnight either.
    2. Control the food. Don't let the food control you.
    3. You will have failures along the way and it won't be easy but learn from those failures and turn them into positives. It's not failure if we learn from it.

I have learned from both my dietitian and personal trainer in 12 weeks it's one foot in front of the other. While the steps may not be big ones the small ones add up to big ones in the end.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Don't slip into EDNOS.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd tell myself: the things in life worth doing are not easy, if there it's difficult, it's probably worth looking into.
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would give myself pep talks every time I went out to exercise. I would remind myself I was doing this for me, it was my gift to myself and I alone had the power to change. I also complimented myself daily..a simple hello gorgeous in front of the mirror was enough to get me going.

I would also keep repeating 'it won't always hurt this bad'..lol And I was right! it has gotten better :) My body is stronger and fitter and I can do so much more now.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    - Don't worry about those who question you. One day, you'll be an effing warrior - a fitness instructor, one of those exercise types, nicknamed 'Guns'. Do not let that be called into any sort of doubt.

- STOP OBSESSING ABOUT YOUR PCOS-RELATED HAIRLOSS FFS
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would have told myself to find a great outside walking route earlier on in the process. It's seems much easier to increase distance walking outside with stuff to look at than inside on the treadmill. Plus, there are no annoying gym rats around so I feel more comfortable. I now walk along the a river with pretty views of bridges. The sunshine and water make me happy.
  • MissShyloh
    Options
    bump
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself not to get overwhelmed. Baby steps really do work.

Also, the progress is slow. Working harder does not mean losing weight faster. It just means get frustrated faster. Weight loss is slow, but it doesn't have to be difficult. Just getting off my seat and eating my veggies seems to take me farther than I ever thought it would. It doesn't matter if I walk around the block or work out all day long... I will get my results when I get them.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options
    I'd tell myself that you have to keep tracking, even when you're within 5 lbs of your goal weight, and after that as well.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would have never let myself get overweight in the first place.

I would have ignored my mother's comments to eat more and that I was too thin. She just wanted someone to eat massive amounts of food with her.

I would have just ditched the husband that made me so unhappy a lot sooner instead of listening to his constant cruel rages of how pathetic and ugly I was.

Ditch or dump any mean un-supportive people
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    1. Start exercising NOW. Don't buy into the lie that just parking further away and taking the stairs is enough. You are more than capable of pushing yourself and following an actual exercise program.
    2. Take your measurements.
    3. Take pictures.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Exercise, unlike emotional eating, makes you feel better.