Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    7th grade.... English class .. Totally saddening to see second plane hit the second tower,
    etc... And hear about the 3rd plane at Pentagon... Then the other one that was meant either for the US Capital or White House.
    I pause to think what would be if either one of those would have been destroyed. =( Thank God there's life beyond Earth.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    in the hospital, just having given birth to my 2nd child.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I watched the whole thing unfold on television!!!! Live - from my home, which at the time, was in SC.

I was going about my usual morning routine of drinking coffee and watching the news, I had turned it on right when they started reporting about the first plane hitting the 1st buiding, So I saw it all-just enfold on tv. I saw the first tower smoking, then the 2nd one get hit,the first one crumble,people jumping from buildings, and the reports of the pentagon and the Pa flight etc.

My husband just happened to have a day off so I went and got him before the second tower got hit. We watched and listened in terror. I had a brother who traveled from his home in Philly to NY often to do business near the trade center. He also often flew out of Philly ,too. I also had a brother who lived in washington DC. So I was especially concerned about them, I called my parents in Philly who told me my brother was supposed to go to NY that day but had cancelled the appt thank god the day before. And they said they had heard from my bro in washington and that he was safe too.

I remember feeling very family oriented and wanting to call my step daughter and all 3 brothers and my husband' s family, even though they did not iive anywhere near any of the strikes-just to be in touch with them and tell them i cared.I also remembered feeling somewhat unsure about the safety of our country as a whole.

I went on to work about 4 hours later and remember it being a slow day and wanting to get home to hear the rest of the news of the day, as we didnt have a tv at work.

Since that day Ive become quite the news junkie. Something about watching it all unfold on tv, live,with minute to minute coverage, has made me want to keep informed , eternally after, about the world at large. I now try to watch the news at least every mmorning and evening.
  • clarajean123
    clarajean123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was working at my office, typing on the computer, as a co-worker turned to me at told me what happened. Within minutes, people were rushing up and down the hallway, comments were flying, and the building was locked down. We scrambled to find outside word of what was going on. I thought about my family and wondered where they were, should I go to them. We were only blocks from the Capital where the governer of Florida, Jeb Bush, resided, who happened to be the brother of United States President, George Bush. It was my mother's birthday. We were too upset to have any celebrations that night. However, we have grown from this time and incident.
  • nicoji
    Options
    I was up before 5:00 a.m. that morning, in Salt Lake City. I made coffee and listened to headline news on National Public Radio. All was well with the world (or so it seemed, looking back). I turned off the radio, and wrote until 7:00--then turned the radio back on as I started to get ready for my day job: and all the world had changed.

My partner was still asleep, and I hurried into the bedroom. "Drew," I said, "Our country is under attack. They've hit Washington and New York: not nuclear bombs." We got the TV on and watched, aghast, as first one and then another of the towers in New York collapsed. Drew had been a journalist in the Middle East, stationed in Egypt and Saudi Arabia and one of the first journalists into Kuwait during Desert Storm; at one point he had interviewed Yassir Arafat--and he was very pro-Palestinian. I'll never forget the look on his face--sorrow and defeat, even--as the news began saying that what was happening was the work of Islamic terrorists.
  • Kimothypie
    Options
    I was a jumior in high school, and I remember all of my classmates as well as myself kept looking up to the sky like if something were going to happen. It was such a sad day, and still continues to be as the years go by.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was in 9th grade in Mrs. McGuire's Spanish class at Terre Haute South Vigo High when the news came on the television... so sad...
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    in college, turned on the radio RIGHT when the second plan hit.. then i watched it on the big screen in lounge...
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Grade 3 and in school.

The teachers hadn't told us anything - I guess because we're in Canada and because we were so young.
    Then a student came back from lunch - his mom took him home for lunch...
    When he came back he told us about it and then the teacher brought in a TV since already knew and watched what was going on.

We were all sent home with a letter saying that she told us about it and for our parents to talk to us.

I remember crying a lot, especially to the images where people were jumping out of the building.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready for school, grade 8 I think?
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Homeless with my now ex-husband and our 2 babies and 2 pet birds. Had a check from my bank 2,000 miles away, that no bank would cash, because it had my maiden name on it and it didn't match my drivers license. We'd been camping in the woods and came to town, because it was getting cold and we needed to get the babies a place to live. Couldn't find a hotel that took animals, had no cash and were lucky enough to have friends of friends with a empty room in their house. Watched the news. An hour or so after it 1st happened we were driving in gridlock traffic in the heat. Cars all around had windows down and 100% news, no music. It was weird having skis with no planes. I tried to call back to my hometown and the pay phone kept saying "All circuits are busy" or something along those lines.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    getting ready for work. I called work where they had little access to news and relayed to them what I was seeing on the news.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    On my way to downtown Farmer's branch to have a traffic ticket dismissed. There were tanks in front of the police station and the courthouse was locked down.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was living at home in Australia at the time... it was just before midnight our time, I was up, getting ready for work at the hotel I worked at, and had the news on... I remember sitting down on the edge of the bed in disbelief, not being able to move... I have friends in NY but thankfully they were all safe.

I massive shout out to the emergency services for all their hard work (I've got a friend that is with the NYFD) and my god rest the souls of the people tragically taken from us too soon!
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That morning I had woken up late for work so I was out of my routine of watching the new before work. I was driving into work that morning jamming to my CD's, so I didn't even have the radio on. As I was walking into work through the main lobby at the hospital I work for, I saw people crying which wasn't unusal to see. However I noticed that the gal who worked the information desk was in tear too. I continued to walk to the unit that I was working on at the time, which happened to be on the 1st floor. I walk into a unit of tears. I said what happened? I got the response of you don't know? they said go into breakroom they are replaying this mornings events at the twin towers. Just as I was walking into the breakroom the second tower was being hit. I will never forget that day as long as I live.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was asleep because I live on the other side of the world! I remember for some reason I turned the news on before school that morning though (something I never usually did) and even in New Zealand the twin towers were all over the TV/radio. My mother didn't believe me at first when I told her what happened, she had to switch the radio on and hear it for herself. A terrible tragedy that has done no good for anyone on earth...
  • trappedreams
    trappedreams Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I read that as were you 11 years ago today 9-11.
    well i was 11 years old, and I remember waking up in the morning seeing the tv with the shocking news.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I was getting my kids to work on their assignments, (homeschooling) and my brother called and said, "Put the math books away, Sis, and turn on the news." I turned on the tv and called the kids in, and asked my brother what I was seeing. He said a plane had hit the WTC and they think it's an accident but it couldn't be. It was a clear day and no pilot could possibly not have seen it. The kids gathered around because it was so unusual for me to turn on the tv, and we watched as the second plane hit, and I knew we were under attack. We put the books away and watched, totally speechless.

It was the birthday of my oldest and youngest at the time (I h ave another younger one now), and we had planned to go out to lunch at noon. I decided that it was their BIRTHDAY and we were not going to spend the entire day in grief - we would celebrate at least in that little way, and took them to the restaurant of their choice. I couldn't help but listen to the radio in the car, though, and when we got to the restaurant, we found ourselves in the midst of many who needed to be with others, to talk and to watch on tv. Nobody knew anybody, but there were no introductions and no strangers - we were all one family. We were human beings watching other human beings suffer pain, terror, loss, death. We could hardly tear ourselves away to go back home, but as soon as we got to the car, we needed to go home and be in front of the t v again. At some point, we had presents to open, cake and ice cream to eat, neighbor kids in, but all that is a blur.

I chatted online with a friend whose husband was NYPD. They were on vacation, and he was frantic to get home, to help, but couldn't get back into NYC. He's never recovered from the survivors guilt, and grieves still for his unit that went in and died. My son turned 14 that day, and is now in the Air Force, protecting his mom and sisters the best way he knows how. He was always a patriotic kid, but that day cemented his love for the United States of America. He is so proud to serve, and I am so proud of him, but I do hate how far away from home he is.

11 years later, it is still shocking to watch the news coverage from that day. All those people........
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was at home in Australia at my Dad's house, my Mum was in the USA at an airport about to get on a flight (I don't remember where) and at 9 or 10 years old all I knew was that something horrific was happening and my Mum was about to be on a plane, I called her right away and thank god her flight was cancelled. I will never forget how horrible I felt, that sick feeling in my stomach and the tears that were shed. 9/11 will forever have effects on the world. God bless those who lost their lives, and those who risked their lives saving those who were trapped.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was in the back country of utah roughing it for several days.. I didn't learn about anything that happened until September 17th. I was away from phone television etc hiking can camping for several days..

You must have been one of the only people in the world to not know what was going on!