No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My collar bone is 3/4 inch thick - my wife's is 3/8 inch - no such thing as big-boned, huh?

absolute piffle

I tend to ignore "experts" - they haven't a clue when faced with empirical evidence that contradicts their pet theories.

- doesn't mean I don't 'need' to lose weight, though. <pout>

You're also not on the same height/weight scale because you're male and she's female. I'm guessing your collar bone "size" is pretty close to other males your height.
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Why does anyone even care about their bone size!!! You should be more concerned with the amount of fat that is being carried on them!!

Forget the bone size, eat right & work out. Bones won't make you look fat, fat will!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

You have got to be kidding me. Right, because a 6 ft tall broad shouldered man's skeleton is "about the same size" as a 5 ft tall waify woman's skeleton? lolnope. There is a wide variety of potential frame shapes and sizes. I have a narrow frame, some have broad frames. People whose ancestors lived in high elevations for many generations tend to have broad barrel shaped rib cages to accomodate larger lung capacities needed where the air is thin. Skeletons are not all about the same size. Where on earth did you get that idea?
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Regardless of size and shape I don't think anyones bones could be heavy enough to account for their bmi being in the obese range,, IMO
    That's great and all, but has nothing to do with what the OP was asking. Bone structure, as well as body composition have a lot of influence on what size you can wear. I was VERY fit in high school, but bone and muscle structure like a line-backer, and my smallest size was a 14 U.S. I was also overweight, but could outlift most of the boys (the ones not on the roids anyway) and could outrun many of my classmates as well. I am 5'4" and have a 6.75 inch wrist. It has been a long time since high school, but that seems to be what I remember my wrists being.

I also remember my shoulders being measured in college and, shock - surprise, large frame. I don't remember the methodology, but there is a certain spot in the collar bone/shoulder area that is not effected by adipose tissue. At least that is what the professor said, and that was the spot that was measured... the distrance between that spot on my right and left sides. Small shirts are not in my future. That being said, I will be rockin it in the mediums/large shirts very soon.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I used to be big boned. Then I lost weight
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just for fun lets all measure the length of our clavicles and the distance between our ASIS's

Wait ....I'm the only one who thinks that would be fun aren't I ? :p
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a big fat skeleton... I am pretty sure that line is just another excuse used like, 'Fat runs in my family'...'It's in my genes' or 'I have a slow metabolism'.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    to deny that bone widths don't differ from person to person is absolutely ridiculous. also, the term "big boned" is used to describe the size of one's frame. bone width, bone density, and size of frame is very largely a hereditary trait.

however, this has no correlation with increased body fat percentage. increased weight, yes, of course-- if you're a bigger person, you're gonna weigh more. but if you weigh 170, you could very possibly have the same percentage of body fat as someone who weighs 120.

i am of nordic blood and i have a very large frame. call it "big blood", if you will. my father was 6'7" and a solid 280 lbs, and a VERY strong nordic blood line. he was a giant. i've gotten down to 130 before, and i looked terrible. you could see my ribs through my back, my hip bones stuck out extremely far, and my colar bone was way too prominent. i looked bony and sick, (and i was), yet i was at a weight that other women i know that are around my height either strive for, try to stay at, or even try to keep under.

when i stay at 150, i look the best, and is a size 6 in jeans for me.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The human body does amazing things to deal with all the crap we put it through. Bone size and density will vary from person to person, this is fact. No two people are going to be EXACTLY alike...this again is fact. Genetics, lifestyle, weight, exercise, and many other things will play a major role on your physical make up.

Having said all that, I'm going to say that being "big boned" is not what makes a person truly overweight, being truly overweight is what makes a person "big boned". I have several inches of fat around my body, if it's because I'm "big boned" then I should have bones that are 6-7 inches in circumference....and we all know that's just not true. (I don't consider 5 lbs to be overweight considering a person can gain and lose that much in the course of a day depending on so many factors, at least that's my personal experience and what I've been tracking.)

You may very well be "big boned" but 99.9% of the worlds population is not big boned enough to constitute the weight they carry while blaming it on being big boned.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and when I was 217 pounds (size 18) my wrist measurement said I was big boned. I'm now 169 pounds and I wear a size 10 in most clothing.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Regardless of size and shape I don't think anyones bones could be heavy enough to account for their bmi being in the obese range,, IMO

Bones weighed in isolation - no, it is unlikely. However, frame size/skeletal structure does affect clothing sizes, which is what the OP asked about. It may also have an effect on what weight is/looks 'healthy' on an individual, which can mean that their BMI - not a good measure for individuals in any case - is comparatively high, while their actual physique/physical health is very good. For example, my doctor-dictated 'healthy weight' will still have me in the high reaches of 'Overweight' according to the BMI chart. My doctor knows that with my frame/body type, a 'healthy' BMI would be anything but healthy for me.
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to be big boned. Then I lost weight

I wish there was a like button for this comment!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I would love to see a girl with a 12 - 10% body fat claim she is big boned.

Only fat people make this claim.

Uh no. Have you never seen a woman with relatively low body fat with broad substantial shoulders? They might *not* care to claim they are big boned but their frame is a different size and shape than another woman with narrower shoulders and this does have an impact on the size and shape you'll end up even if you do lose a lot of weight. Some people will never be a size 0 no matter how low their bodyfat percentage is, simply because their ribcage and hips are more broad, with or without fat coming into it. This is because of how their body is structured. Why is this such a hard thing to understand?

*edited to add the *not*
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about my frame too so I measured my wrist and the breadth of my elbow and my wrist is 7 and my elbow is 3 and that means I have a large frame. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 170.2 and I can squeeze into a size 10. LOL!! I've been 161 (I'm trying to get back there) and I could fit comfortabley in a size 10. I'm looking to get down to 155. Don't let your frame size upset you. You can get down to a size 10 and smaller if you want to. Just make sure to eat healthy and exercise. You will be extremely satisfied with your outcome. You are not meant to be fat.... you are meant to be healthy inside and out and comfortable in your own skin. :) Stay positive!! *love and light*
  • emmagallo
    Options
    I always considered myself to be "big boned" but after losing over 80lbs and getting down to a size 10; I've realized it was all an excuse. I started out a size 20 which is the biggest I've EVER been to now being a size 10. All it takes is hard work and dedication. Good luck!
  • BrilliantResilient1
    Options
    I'm a physical anthropologist, and there IS such thing as big boned. No bones are the same size. Your ancestry plays a large part it it. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's not irrelevant either. Now to say its an excuse for 50+ pounds is just crazy. But it can make things like wrists and ankles appear larger. It doesn't effect weight except by the smallest fraction. But a lot of things can change how you appear. Like a girl I went to school with was 5'7, 115 pounds and wore a size 6-8 depending on the brand because her hips were wide. She wasn't big boned, but her hip bones were spread apart farther.

See in my mind this is exactly what I was thinking. For people to assume that everyone has the same size "skeleton" is ridiculous. I've been called big boned all my life and I never understood it. Yes my wrists are a bit broader than some, and so are my shoulders and hips, but that's makes me feel like being "big boned' is more of what people use to describe physical stature or certain body types? What do you say?
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Big Boned, My A**. I use to think I was big boned until I lost 80 pounds.

I don't care about wrists or anyother body part. One would think that you hat size would not change either. Think about it, How much fat do you have on your skull? Apparently, alot. I had to get new hats. So, If you can lose size on your skull, you certainly can lose size on your wrists.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've always been confused by using the wrist to measure "frame size" I have small wrists, larger ankles, broad shoulders, tiny waist, small rib cage.....no matter how thin or low in bodyfat, I get my hip bones will never stick out....like I said confusing.

SO, I just go by how I look and feel..not by weight or particular size...
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Bones weighed in isolation - no, it is unlikely. However, frame size/skeletal structure does affect clothing sizes, which is what the OP asked about. It may also have an effect on what weight is/looks 'healthy' on an individual, which can mean that their BMI - not a good measure for individuals in any case - is comparatively high, while their actual physique/physical health is very good. For example, my doctor-dictated 'healthy weight' will still have me in the high reaches of 'Overweight' according to the BMI chart. My doctor knows that with my frame/body type, a 'healthy' BMI would be anything but healthy for me.

I agree what is healthy for one person varies isn't necessarily what is healthy for another person.
    Which is why I said the obese range and not overweight.

( and yes my post was off topic to what the OP asked)
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bone structure, as well as body composition have a lot of influence on what size you can wear.
    Ok, to an extent, I can agree
    I was VERY fit in high school, but bone and muscle structure like a line-backer, and my smallest size was a 14 U.S.
    Wow that is definitely evidence that for some people CAN be big boned.
    I was also overweight

welp never mind.

Did I say what my body fat percentage was? O wait, you are an expert and probably already knew that one, huh? At least you are a friendly person. Also, my doctor has told me that because of my frame and tendency to put on muscle, despite my body fat percentage, I will probably be "overweight", since all that measures is height/weight. But thanks for attacking me. That helps :) Reminds me why I hate these forums...a bunch of mean people waiting to attack rather than discuss. Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!