I am so done with this program!!

Options

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I have followed this program to the letter for a month now, and thanks to MFP, I am now at the highest weight I have ever been. It doesn't work!!!!

You're clearly doing it wrong.

Agreed. It worked for me. BUT you have to play by the rules and that includes measuring your food intake & exercise as accurately as you can. Good luck.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You have to build muscle in order to burn fat.
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio!
    You need to eat in order to keep your metabolism fully functioning.

This website and tracker does work, but you have to be willing to educate yourself as well.
    It is a process, but a necessary one in order to make a successful change.

Build muscle - cardio. cardio cardio?

Cardio work will inhibit muscle growth!

Should be:
    Lose muscle - cardio, cardio, cardio

My thoughts exactly. whaaaa??
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It works and it worked for me as you can see on my ticker.

I followed it to the letter and dropped the weight slowly but surely. I was never able to do it before joining this site.

To me, it was really clear what to do, and I took it step-by-step.

I didn't read through all of the responses on here but I hope that you find encouragement and advice on how to turn things around.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This website saved my life. I was overweight my entire life, never could keep it off. This is the first time in my life and I am 64 yrs old with knee and back problems which is challenging my exercise. Doing the logging is most important, and keep with the plan. This is not a diet. We are all here to help each other......Good Luck Joann
  • joyous504
    Options
    :cry: I'm with ya...since I started MFP..I've gained 10 pounds , I started at my ultimate goal weight of 109, after alot of hard work and, now back up to 120 since the last time I weighed myself, scared to get on the scale...not happy...I ork really hard, wrk out almost everyday, watch what I eat and log everything, drink water......ughhh... I am on the brink of quiting too

Muscle weighs more that fat and judging from your profile pic you've got muscle.
  • laura_lynn202001
    Options
    You need to eat more hun and healthier.Cardio cardio!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

Who does the cooking at home? If it's not you, you may want to switch to doing the cooking yourself or ask the cook to stick to a specific recipe so you can estimate your intake. I can't see your diary, but it's hard for me to believe that you would have gained weight in a single month from "starvation mode." I agree with those who say you probably didn't finish logging or guesstimated too much.

I posted this on my feed the other day--some of us have to log. The other day I ate without logging and thought I did pretty good. I was 400 calories over goal and not feeling stuffed or anything.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was logging every morsel and exercising every day for 3 months before I lost my first pound.

The important thing is: if what you are doing isn't working, do something else. If you have been logging everything and staying under your calories, maybe you need to change what you are eating. Since you have your diary locked, I'm guessing you need to really increase your protein to at least 40% and get the carbs down to like 20%.

Keep changing your strategy until you find one that works. Don't think that a failed strategy will eventually succeed; it won't.
  • sjweld
    sjweld Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who posted postive thoughts, and to those who didn't, BITE ME! You obvouisly don't understand what it's like. I have friended many people through this thread, and they will now be my support! The rest of you should be much more considerate! Rudeness isn't going to get you far in life. Since this my last community post, my thanks to some, the rest can KMA!!

Lol. Maybe it has to do with the way YOU approached the subject. I think you need to turn inward for a little self analysis. You seem to lash outward at other people and things when it's really just all you.

Don't a lot of us tend to do that when we are frustrated? Have you ever been trying to fix something and it's not going your way and you utter "This stupid thing isn't working right?" (or likely much harsher words). That's just one example but we pretty much all lash out from time to time when deeply frustrated.

All the negative commenters need to read between the lines and see that the poster is a frustrated individual. Sure, it would have been nice if the title was "I am so frustrated! What am I doing wrong?", but it wasn't.

Cardio is not the key for everyone. Everyone is different. Instead of preaching "MY WAY OR THE HIGH WAY", try replying to those in need with a kind word and a gentle push. Perhaps a "this is what worked for me" sort of approach. I think this poster has it sorted out now, but there will be many more frustrated people posting and it would sure be nice to see the positive remarks, not the negative.

I said it before and I'll say it again....I lost 50 lbs eating TV dinners, Schwan's Pot Pies and Schwan's ice cream. There is no set "right" food! Watch the numbers, stick to the plan and love yourself, the rest will follow.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who posted postive thoughts, and to those who didn't, BITE ME! You obvouisly don't understand what it's like. I have friended many people through this thread, and they will now be my support! The rest of you should be much more considerate! Rudeness isn't going to get you far in life. Since this my last community post, my thanks to some, the rest can KMA!!

Wow, you posted a topic condemning something that has worked for many people on here and while some poeple can be nasty, you opened yourself up to it by posting in a forum. Now I can understand how the whole diet and exercise thing can be frustrating, but to then lash out at people that you essentially asked for help from is extremely juvenile. I hope you find what you are looking for and obtain an attitude adjustment along the way.
  • sjweld
    sjweld Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Lol. Maybe it has to do with the way YOU approached the subject. I think you need to turn inward for a little self analysis. You seem to lash outward at other people and things when it's really just all you.

THIS!!! OP needs an attitude adjustment - don't post a topic if you don't expect a certain percentage of people to disagree and can't handle it when they do.

It's not different point of views the poster is having issue with, it's the rude know it all people who insist there way is the only right way!

The great thing about this plan is that you can eat WHATEVER you want, as long as you can make the numbers fit into your over all daily plan! You want to eat all whole foods, home cooked meals etc....have at it! Me? I love my processed already prepared foods!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The great thing about this plan is that you can eat WHATEVER you want, as long as you can make the numbers fit into your over all daily plan! You want to eat all whole foods, home cooked meals etc....have at it! Me? I love my processed already prepared foods!

That's true only if your goal is to simply 'lose weight'
    Most people realise that is not what your goal should be.

You can lose weight by eating hardly anything
    You can lose weight by eating just soup
    You can lose weight by only eating once a week
    You can lose weight by making the numbers fit and eating processed foods

If you want to lose 'fat' healthily you can NOT eat whatever you want - this is basic common sense
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not true! Those meals are few and far between. Everything is baked or grilled, never fried, and we cook in this house, we don't eat many process foods. Please don't reply again, you're a jerk!!

Not sure if you're this combative in real-life, or just on the internet? :huh: I'd suggest you take a HARD look at what you've ACTUALLY been eating, how you've actually been logging, and how much you've actually been exercising. Stop blaming MFP and take responsibility for your own actions and choices. This program works...IF you work it. Also, 1 month?!!? Patience is a virtue you know.
  • gilbyfc
    gilbyfc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Logging every morsel doesn't lose weight. Burning more than you put in does....
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    Being married to a Navy Vet; I've learned early on not to candy-coat stuff and just get directly to the point; that being said...

The energy that you put out; you attract back.
    People are very quick to "attack" on here.

"Failure is an event, not a person. Yesterday ended last night"

This is a person who is struggling.. offer advice but do it nicely.

However true this is; the OP was the first on the attack; so if we are all going to 'play nice,' we should all play by the same rules. But is that going to happen here? Most likely not.

That being said...
    I have followed this program to the letter for a month now, and thanks to MFP, I am now at the highest weight I have ever been. It doesn't work!!!!

Sounds more like one or more of the following to me:

A) A frustrated cry for help.
    B) "I don't understand how to make this program work for me and could really use some encouragement/feedback."
    C) Passing the blame off on something/someone other than one's self. Let's face it; if you're going to be successful at anything; you must master accountability.
    D) Wanting a quick fix and being disappointed that it didn't work out that way. The fact is that health and fitness are a lifetime journey; not a one time destination.
    E) A desiring to complain about the problem more than the desire to hear/seek solutions.

The most valuable thing that I've learned from this journey and many others is that anything that is worth it; is worth working for AND waiting for. Sometimes your first, second or even fifth attempt will not be successful. We've all had those moments when we've fallen flat on our face, but the thing that separates the leaders, successes and winners from the 'others' is the will to get up and try again.

There's a reason why all workout and fitness programs say that results aren't typical. You get out what you put in. If you're willing to bust your a**, you'll get results. Additionally, fitness is much more than the physical. It is mental. It is spiritual. If one or the other is out of balance; you'll struggle; guaranteed!

Another thing that I'd like to kindly point out is that the only person who has any control over your outcome is you. You have the power to decide what is right for you to do. You have the power to shake off the haters and the naysayers. The minute that you feed into the negative BS; you relinquish your power to a force outside of yourself.

Just my 10 cents. My two cents is free. :flowerforyou:

Be well,
    Charlotte

27783872.png
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    "Everybody's different". Some people gain in a calorie deficit dontyaknow! :laugh:
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

I am just going to quote you by saying "Rudeness isn't going to get you far in life."

Like a boss!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    To the OP: My suggestion would be to visit your GP for a full blood panel (to check for any biological factors that may be affecting your weight) and to see a nutritionist who can guide you towards the foods that will best help you meet your daily goals. If you must, give up for a day or a week but don't give up completely. You can make this work if you try approaching the problem (no results) from a few different angles and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Everyone is different, every BODY (literally) has different needs. You just need to figure out what works best for YOU.
  • melb2003
    Options

Wow, please don't post a question on MFP and expect EVERYONE to sugar coat things and tell you you're right. You made a general statement that I think a majority of people on the website completely disagree with. I follow MFP everyday since February of this year, and even though I've had my ups and downs, I have still managed to lost 58 lbs.

First, you can't expect to lose weight overnight when it didn't go on over night. Based on what people said when you diary was viewable, you weren't eating enough. MFP isn't some crash diet that you're just going to drop weight like whoa, it's a tool to use to help create a new lifestyle. It gives you a recommended amount of calories and a huge part of success is exercise. If you don't start losing right away, play with your calories a little and as long as you're eating healthy and following the guidelines, you will eventually lose. I've been on a never ending cycle of loosing a few lbs and then plateauing for 2-3 weeks until I start to see the scale go down again.

This is a life time commitment to those who are serious about doing it the healthy way. You can't expect everything to be on track in just one month. I've been at this for 9 months now and I know everyday I do well I'm another day closer to my goal.

Good luck, and please don't get discouraged! Just play around with the numbers a little, drink more water, and go for a 20 minute walk. It does wonders and it's a great start!! :flowerforyou:
  • casslivingston91
    Options
    MFP is not a program, it's simple, you log the food you eat, you log what you exercise.
    You either aren't eating enough or you aren't being truthful about what & how much you're eating.