Impossible to eat healthy when in debt

Options

Replies

• Educ8rChic
    Educ8rChic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found a Groupon one day that helps you stay on budget and make tasty meals for a family of 4 or 6. I'm not sure how much it costs regular price, but it's nice. Emeals.com is where I go. You can pick meal plans specific to your diet needs and each week, the recipes and grocery list are made for you. If you pick a particular store, it even estimates the cost. We've spent anything from $80-100 on 7 home made meals. You might wanna check it out. Eating healthy on a budget doesn't have to suck...
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ok lets give the guy a break... we are all here for motivation and support.

Yes, it can be more expensive to eat healthy diet... if you do it the wrong way. But there are lots of ways to eat healthy on a budget.

I like to make a very big casserole or soup.. sometimes both.. on Sundays and portion them out to eat during the week. I freeze some for a 'lazy day' and use some for lunches.

Now that I'm stocked in the kitchen and just have to replace things, I find its actually less expensive. We spend about $40 a week on groceries - no lie.

Fish IS more expensive... but its not the only healthy food :-)

Please send me a message if you want more help.
  • My beef is that I can go and spend $125 at the grocery store and then my husband calls me to pick up fast food for dinner. And, sad to say, I usually do it. I guess the old saying is true -- you really are your own worst enemy. I don't need anyone to sabotage my plans because I do a pretty good job on my own.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I feel where your coming from, I don't have advice I just sympathize because my husband is the same as your wife, he Treys to give me a "budget" of a hundred dollars for groceries to last for two weeks for our family of four, topping it off I'm low carb yet more often then not I'm sacrificing my diet to eat cheaper things that are no good for my diet such as pasta or rice. And I'm really limited on how much meat I can get. He doesn't understand that 200 a month is simply unreasonable and feeding our family should come before any bills. Oh and before the poster nazis come out to say I'm a bad mother for not feeding my kids or some other ridiculous comments, I often go over the budget to ensure my kids get the proper nutrition they need.
  • sunnykt
    Options

All 4 of us in the family have dietary intolerances too so it's not like we are eating this way to be fiscally irresponsible; we are eating this way because this is the diet that our body does not manifest any cognitive or physical symptoms for!

My wife too would rather have random ground beef in a processed box mixture (containing gluten which I have issue with and no nutritional value) than a homemade meal (full of nutrition and not gluten!). She would rather spend her money on exotic trips around the world than healthy food so she and her kids can be healthy (oh and her husband can be alive too).

Seriously, if I had the choice of dying at 50 and being debt free while seeing the world but being fat and full of disease and dying at 80 and still paying my debt off and rarely leaving my house but being slender and disease free and have healthy children and grandchildren, I'd choose 80....

It doesn't take a psychologist or a genius to see the blame shifting going on here (although this doesn't apply to everyone whose mentioned a spouse with financial control of the food in this thread).

It's probably best to address your issues with your spouse. Yes, I know you are a team, and she's been assigned certain roles. Yes, I know she controls the finance. But these are excuses, not legitimate reasons. Discuss. Talk. You know the deal. Converse about your issues with your wife in a healthy and constructive way. Or offer to go out and buy the groceries this week and offer to cook all week. Get her in on the deal and make her think it's her idea. You are in control of your body and what you put into it, not your wife. You could offer to make everyone dinner, or make yourself a separate meal. You are simply being lazy by assigning the blame to her because you've designated her the duty of feeding you. Reclaim that aspect of your life back.

"Healthy is not expensive." Don't buy into a fake dichotomy that you either eat junk food, or eat expensive "health foods". Yes, food such as chia and quinoa that have been heavily marketed as super duper "health" foods are more expensive. But this is a marketing ploy. There are also carrots (which can be as little as $1 a kg and can be used as padding) oats (also extremely cheap), eggs, kale, potato and apples (natures perfect "on the go" snack). All the more "common" fruits and vegetables generally eaten are still good for you, despite the lack of marketing spin.

Learn maths, or teach your wife maths- whichever one thinks that your eating habits are actually financially valid. Yes, a hamburger for $1 may seem cheaper than a $3 bag of vegetables or oats but the oats and vegetables, when bought and added together last longer and can end up making cheaper meals. They also fill you up better- you eat a bag of chips as a "snack" and go back for more, it leaves you feeling addicted and gives you further food craving, perpetuating an avalanche of bad eating. You'd never do that with a bowl of lettuce- because the lettuce fills you up better and isn't addictive. Eating better foods also programs you to veer away from "comfort eating". You're eating for your body, not your emotions and the feelings that eating certain foods evoke, and so you ultimately end up eating less. Which means less money. Sure a $60 grocery shop (for two people) seems more than a $5 meal (fries, chips, burger) but at 3 meals a day $5 a meal (for two people) ends up being $210. Even assuming you only eat two meals a day (realistic if you consider the calories) that's still $140.
    $60 can also buy you approximately 3 meals, and 2 healthy snacks (such as an apple or a carrot and hummus or yogurt) every day. So you're eating more frequently and getting more "bang for your buck" because you are getting more nutrients.

Starting on the path to healthy eating is the most expensive part- you need to buy sauces and herbs and spices to make your food tasty, which will only fuel your wife's fire and give her ammo on "see? eating my way is cheaper!". But after this first step is done eating healthy will end up being more financially sound. And anyone who says that is just letting their emotions cloud their logic. I have to admit there are times when I do a "fresh" shop and McDonald's starts to look alluring, but I know that this is just consumer dissonance and my brain being horribly addled by marketing. When I think about it I think about how you go to McDonald's to get a burger and end up with a meal, because you're "saving money" and then the whole premise of it being "cheap" falls apart.

You could sit down and do a proper food budget with your wife and realistically look at how much you *actually* spend on food a week eating fast food, including candybars and sodas. You'll find that any thoughts about eating unhealthily being cheaper will fade. I look at fast food as an expensive luxury, even the cheap kind.

If a person can't put enough long-term planning and thinking in to see that buying groceries for a week is actually more financially sound than buying fast food and foods marketed as cheaper options, then how can they properly manage lateral thinking in other aspects of their life? There is a link between poor nutrition and bad diets and low socio-economic status. I think that sometimes people con themselves into thinking that they are "too poor to afford to eat healthy" when really it's the other way around- you're too unhealthy to be wealthy.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    honestly , you can still eat cheap and healthy. Im on a tight budge of 20$ a week for a food allowence, for the two of us, but I also eat meatless, I noticed that a lot of stores have a discount produce section, or it is mixed in. ( the vegetables are a bit older ) and I can get a whole basket of groceries to last me for the entire week for at least twice a day.
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    I'm doing Dave Ramsey and losing weight. Frozen meat and veggies!
  • javagsd
    Options
    It's really becomes pretty easy once you figure out the tricks. It does take planning and more prep and cooking work. I did the $3/day Food Stamp budget for all of Lent this year and was surprised at how it changed my approach to food. It actually was a big part of why I started to diet and joined MFP shortly thereafter. Some tips:

Concentrate on breakfast - spend the time to plan it the night before and save time in the morning. Crockpot oatmeal, pancakes, veggie omelets, frozen overripe bananas for quick smoothies - all cheap, filling, nutritious, healthy. My favorite smoothie right now is just watermelon, a little mint and a T or 2 of greek yogurt.

Shop produce stands, discount groceries, bulk bins, plan menus around sales. Today I bought 1 watermelon - $2.50, 2 large avocados @$.48 each, and 2 cauliflowers at $.30 each at a produce stand. 6 cups of cauliflower cheese soup are in the freezer and tomorrow's dinner will be 1 of 4 meals I'll get of Indian cauliflower curry.

Soup and beans - easy and cheap, particularly easy with a slow cooker. A serving of homemade veggie soup with chicken broth is 40 calories and costs around $.50. Stuff all sorts of veggies with leftover grains, veggies, whatever and bake.

Snacks - pre-portioned ready-to-eat convenience is everything in snacks, for both kids and adults. Take the time to put thing into baggies so you'll have them available - nuts, carrots & celery, pretzels, grapes, whatever. Leftover smoothies gets poured into papercups with popsicle sticks and frozen.

Once a week make jars of salad dressing, croutons, healthy substitutes for mayo and sour cream. When you have them available, you won't reach for the unhealthy commercially-prepared stuff.

Garden as much as you can. Even if it's just 3 little pots of herbs on a window sill. Once a garden is established it's almost work and $ free. One container-sized zucchini plant has given me 28 squash so far, and is still going. I have 3 small raised beds and calculsted that I got over $900 of produce last year for under $60 - with it all organic as a bonus.
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ so the price comparison probably not very accurate, but my flat of 4 does a shop for about 100 dollars NZ approx 60 dollars US??? for 5 nights of dinners, breakfast and lunch not counting snack food. Some things that help us are getting the budget brands of rice and pasta in bulk because you know you will use them. Budget brand of beans, chickpeas, canned tomatoes and what not. And buying in season vegetables. We aren't lucky enough to live somewhere with fancy asian/mexican markets but manage to find all we need at a vegetable store and the supermarket.
  • marlopaterson
    Options
    I am the cook and budget person in our family. We both want to get out of debt -- but I told him upfront in the beginning - I'll sacrifice and skimp in other places in the budget to add to our food budget. We chose to go vegetarian, buy beans/grains in bulk, shop at local farmer's markets. I say to all my friends - I don't care how much it costs - if it's healthy and right for us, we'll buy it. Besides - if you eat processed junk and die young - who cares about the bills? Eating right doesn't have to be expensive. Like many previous posters have said - there are ways to eat healthy on a budget! Best of luck to you - I like your attitude!

18198566.png[/url]
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Pay your bills dude
  • Sallu0286
    Options
    Definately plan out what you guys like to eat (healthy food) and budget accordingly.
    I think before anything, you and your wife should talk about it, it seems like you guys have different priorities which won't make it any easier to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

Maybe also, change up where you guys shop, I think farmer's markets have great selections of organic veggies and fruits for a fraction of the price. Also check out coupons in the paper, they also help and definately pick up items that you guys love in bulk. I use to shop at very expensive places and now that I've made a few changes, I've noticed I can buy a lot more for almost half the price.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Look for a community garden to grow food in (if there isn't one harrass your city hall to start one, they will). Buy a pressure cooker, even from Goodwill (allows you to quickly cook dried beans and grains). Always freeze extra veggies when you have them to use later for soup stock. If you have land, try a kitchen garden. Six chickens will give you a dozen eggs every other day, they require very little space and you can feed them scrap food.

In my town, a bunch of community organizations are growing organic produce on state and city property for the food bank. Volunteer for an organization and set this up - it works wonders. If you have food assistance, use it to buy whole foods and get the processed stuff from the bank.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't have to mean expensive. I always keep an eye out for deals and look for sales and coupons for things I eat. I'll also buy store brands. The little bits you save here and there add up. My boyfriend's sister and her husband signed up on a site called emeals.com and they love it since it plans your meals in advance and tailors your shopping list to what stores you pick. They say it saves them money because they buy only what they need and nothing goes to waste-- I personally haven't tried the site but like I said, they love it. Also, you don't need to buy organic-- it doesn't really add anything to the nutritional value of your meals so if you're worried about saving money, there's no reason to pay a huge mark up on produce.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think you have more of a problem of "wife doesn't want what I want to cook" than a monetary problem here. I have the same problem too somewhat. However if I plan ahead, cut cupons, buy what's on sale it's normally all good. I also have a gluten problem (Celiac) and I just tend not to buy the fancy gluten free foods (except the occassional cookies, OMG I love cookies). Like, for example, I wrap my burgers in lettuce instead of buying the buns.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Blaming poor eating habits on money problems is just more excuses! My husband and I eat healthy on $50 a week. If you are flexible, look for sales/deals, and buy in bulk it's actually not expensive at all to eat healthy. It's certainly true that it's less convenient to eat healthy - because there's a lot of prep and cooking from scratch, but it's totally worth the extra effort. I'm the biggest cheapskate I know, but my health is a priority to me, so I cut other things (like cable) before I sacrifice my well being. :flowerforyou:
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Oh, and figure out what the things are that the whole family can agree on and buy them in bulk.
    I cannot stress enough the importance of soup for this situation. Make a huge pot on your day off. When people are sick of it, you can freeze the leftovers for when they like the taste again.
    Oatmeal is very inexpensive when purchased in bulk and a great breakfast with just the right amount of protein. Dried goods are your friend.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The bigger problem here is that you and your wife are not on the same page. Financial security is important to her. Obviously. Work with her to find a budget that suits both of your goals. Obviously, she's motivated by financial security... help her to see the end of the tunnel. You must compromise to find a mutually satisfactory answer.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    I don't know why this irks my nerves so much but it does... I'm not trying to come off mean and annoying like a lot of other posters on here saying "my way or the highway" kind of deal.

But the whole "eating healthy is expensive" is a load of crap.
    I'm a college student and am dirt poor. It's CHEAPER to eat healthy.
    I just made a homemade soup with vegetable broth, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes that costed me a grand total of $8 to make. And that will last me 2 weeks worth of lunch or a snap. Doesn't even break 50 calories per serving.
    It's making both healthy and fiscally responsible decisions.
    You can eat healthy without going broke.
    But beans in bulk.
    Buy meat in bulk (just bought a bag of chicken from walmart that has 10+ breasts in it for $6)
    etc, etc.

It is cheaper to eat healthy... IF YOU CAN COOK!
    if you do not cook... IT IS NOT CHEAPER TO EAT HEALTHY.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If your wife really wants to get out of debt, then make a budget and negotiate about what's important to you both. Find out where you spend your money and what you can cut out to accommodate her wishes of a debt free future and yours of a healthy present and future. If she feels like you are supporting her goals of debt free, maybe she will be more willing to support your goals of eating better. If you plan out your meals and are willing to try cheaper alternatives like more vegetarian meals with beans and other protein sources instead of meat, then you can usually be pretty frugal. BTW, quinoa is a complete protein source and can be used instead of meat and is cheaper generally than meat. But then you might not get to have quinoa and a meat source in the same meal. It's all about working with each other and planning. And it's possible to do both - become debt free and eat healthy - it just might take a bit longer to reach each goal.