Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. There is this company Mango (I don't know if you have it in America) and I love their clothes but I some time ago I bought 3 items from tehir shop the same day: a t-shirt, a blouse and a longsleve and they were European size 36, 38 and 40 respectively. All were uperbody clothes from the same store!
    No point in looking at sizes.

I love Mango! We have it in NYC and I shop there online... there sizes are not consistent at all but I still love their clothes :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

aaaaah haha haha

I think you should direct your anger into something productive!

I think if OP can rant.. so can I. :)

Shopping is not difficult... and I have had no where near the issues she describes.. ever!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    :smile: I agree our sizing system is seriously messed up - in the same week i bought a t-shirt that was a medium...i KNOW that was wrong, because later that week i then bought an XL (which was what the rest of my closet had been)....and my fiance wonders why i can't walk into a store, go the the size "whatever" jeans and pick one. Why i have to pick 4 different sizes, maybe even 2 or 3 different cuts and try them on...

and maybe one will fit.....
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the head games the clothiers play, but this could have been written without the jabs at women who brag about their size. You bet your booty if I fit into a 4 again, someone is going to hear about it. Most likely just my Husband, but I'll be pretty excited so someone will know.
    Back to the real issue. Yeah, sizes are whack. There really should be a universal sizing system, it would eliminate a lot of dressing room stress! Yesterday I had the task of finding my daughter a specific style of under shirt to go under a cute top for picture day today. The main top was a size XS, and it was a little too big on her. She wanted it anyway, and it isn't too bad so I got it. But the under shirt... was an M. Medium on who, a Barbie? Skin tight, and she's a tiny little girl. Sizes suck!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It's not about a size or a weight but about a lifestyle! :)
    This!
    I don't measure how good I feel or look by a number! I don't weigh myself but go by how my clothes fit and how I feel. Progress photos are a big help as well. Sizes are so variant when it comes to women's clothing - to the point of madness - and so it really makes no sense to go solely on that basis. On average I'm in a 14/16, but I have some smaller and some bigger pieces, depending on the cut or the material (stretch, etc.)

I have a MIL who likes to look at the sizes on other people's clothing (and criticize, etc.), so I have the habit of snipping off the size tag if at all possible. It annoys her when she doesn't know what "size" I'm in. ;-) Muahahah!

Btw... really could care less about what size other people are wearing. Like age, like weight... it's just a number. Doesn't mean much at all.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    true, clothing sizes vary a lot by brand (and even sometimes within a brand)... but I think most women have a pretty good sense of what their "size" is. for dress/pant sizes I range between 6-10... I split the difference and say I'm a size 8. I think by looking at me most people would agree that sounds about right. Then again, most people probably don't give a hoot.

Is this issue really worth such petty anger?
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    (this, by the way men, is why we are all neurotic about our weight… don’t blame us, don’t even blame supermodels in the media. No, blame our ridiculous clothing sizes and our apparently mathematically challenged designers.)

I'm not buying the blame game...

I have a 32 inch waist measured with a tape measure. Yet I have 31 shorts from one place, 32 slacks from another, 31 and 32 jeans from the SAME store, and 34 dress pants from yet another.

It gets better. My chest is 42", and I have wide shoulders. I can't just buy a dress shirt that matches my neck/arm dimensions because shirts do not have separate waist measurements. The typical men's dress shirt that fits me in the shoulders, are built to take a waist anywhere from 38"-42", even some labelled "slim!" Which means there's anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of puddling fabric waving in the breeze, making me look that much fatter. It takes forever to try on a single good dress shirt, because they're usually locked up in those horrible packages with lots of pins, cardboard, and plastic. Now try doing that 10 times to find one that actually fits...

It's mildly annoying, but somehow it doesn't make me neurotic. Heck, I like finding good clothes and don't give a crap about the number on the outside.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I will brag about my size because I am damn proud of being this size.

Although it's true that different stores vary from size to size, most people have a size that they 'generally' fit into. I don't know how it is over the pond, but that's how it is in the UK.

Like I'm generally a size 10 (US 6). The really expensive boutique sort of stores tend to cut their clothes smaller, so I'm a 12 (8) in those, whereas some really cheapy stores cut their clothes bigger so I'm an 8 (4) in there.

But overall I'm generally a 10. I worked damn hard to be 10. So damn, I'm gonna brag about being a 10.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

GEESH!!! some people aren't happy unless they're mad, right?
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I tend to just tell people Im a size 6 pants and a medium top, most of my clothes are a 4 but I hate getting gifts that are too small, its insanity though, I have some 0's that fit, but then go to the store and there is nothing like that sinking oh god the 8 is tight, oh god, oh god, where is a razor blade.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    OP - just sounds like you're pissed off at your body type, but rant away.

I always say I'm a 2/4. Most often a 2. I can't wear 0s and I can't fit into anything at a 6 or above (too big).
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My daughter expresses the same concern. I was going to buy her some tops for her birthday a week or so ago and she told me she has to try everything on now. It's no longer "one size fits all the time"! I guess I am experiencing similar issues, but somethings are styled to be "loose" but too loose isn't always a good thing! Focusing on the size isn't what is important, how you feel is! I saw a thing recently that said "Zero isn't a size, it's a warning!" Maybe they should put THAT on some ad!
  • lmerryfield
    Options
    haha! i know thats right
  • Madelinew22
    Options

aaaaah haha haha

I think you should direct your anger into something productive!

I think if OP can rant.. so can I. :)

Shopping is not difficult... and I have had no where near the issues she describes.. ever!

i so agree with u
    i love shopping, i shop for ONE brand size 26" and small shirt unless i want it to be a lazy shirt,
    ya i have bigger jeans, from when i was bigger and thats it. i go for the same cut cuz thats what fits my body, i dont pay 100$ for a pair a jeans to have them not fit right. and just for fun~~~~im a size 2:) in all my jeans!!!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't get why women need a different size system from the rest of world. What's wrong with inches/centimetres/etc? :)
    Thank you! I hate women's sizing. I love Jcrew and Lucky Brand Jeans as they do regular men's sizing for the waist...and yes I shout from the rooftops now that I am a 29! But it is so easy....I am ALWAYS a 29 because you can't eff up inches!!! That being said at the other not as awesome female stores I do range between a 6-10. And when I finally get down to a 4 I will tell everyone I see and could care less how much I tick you off!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    (this, by the way men, is why we are all neurotic about our weight… don’t blame us, don’t even blame supermodels in the media. No, blame our ridiculous clothing sizes and our apparently mathematically challenged designers.)

I'm not buying the blame game...

I have a 32 inch waist measured with a tape measure. Yet I have 31 shorts from one place, 32 slacks from another, 31 and 32 jeans from the SAME store, and 34 dress pants from yet another.

It gets better. My chest is 42", and I have wide shoulders. I can't just buy a dress shirt that matches my neck/arm dimensions because shirts do not have separate waist measurements. The typical men's dress shirt that fits me in the shoulders, are built to take a waist anywhere from 38"-42", even some labelled "slim!" Which means there's anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of puddling fabric waving in the breeze, making me look that much fatter. It takes forever to try on a single good dress shirt, because they're usually locked up in those horrible packages with lots of pins, cardboard, and plastic. Now try doing that 10 times to find one that actually fits...

It's mildly annoying, but somehow it doesn't make me neurotic. Heck, I like finding good clothes and don't give a crap about the number on the outside.

whats up with mens packaging, ive noticted the dress shirts come like packaged meat
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I am a size 1.

I LOVE the way Torrid sizes their clothing :drinker:

(S/N Torrid is Hot Topic for us big girls)
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Okay, now your a size 1, how do you look? I give up.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Sizes vary. THEY VARY MORE if you don't have an average frame, because then you have the compounded problem of different parts of your own damned body wearing different sizes.

There are people that idolize long legs and hour glass figures. Try shopping for them then come back to me!