I want to start running minimum/barefoot

Options

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    For the longest time my knees and legs hurt too much to do any significant amount of running. I hated it. Then a friend loaned me a pair of Vibrams for a 5k mud run I'd signed up for on a whim. They were wonderful! I've since gotten my own pair and started running at least 2 to 3 times a week. I'm up to three pairs of Vibrams- two five fingers and a speed pair. Love, love, love them.

And since I now don't have the pain, I'm loving running too.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wear those shoes that have lights that light up every time you take a step, when I get running fast feels like i'm at a rave
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I switched to forefoot this summer in a pair of Brooks PureFlow. They aren't complete barefoot, as they do provide minimal cushioning. Which my doc said is better for running on hard surfaces like concrete and asphalt. If it was all wooded trails or beach complete barefoot like Vibram would be great!

As for the soreness, my doc forwarned me on that one and gave me some targeted calf and achilles tendon stretches to do. When you are in the proper stance for forefoot strike, you stress the calves and achilles WAY more and they need stretched!!! I'd google some good stretches for those 2 areas and see if that helps the soreness. But, the soreness does go away in time! I'm ramping up for a half marathon in 2 weeks and all is good!!! :-)

Good luck!
    Try the Brooks Pure Connect next! Even less cushioning and "more minimal".
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Oh, and here is a cool barefoot fact:

Did you know kids are born with flat feet? They have more bones in their feet than adults do too. The bones fuse together as the kids grow, so that over time the feet become arched. The muscles that develop as kids learn to walk help to pull the foot into the arched shape as the bones fuse together. That's why most modern pediatricians recommend kids wear soft soled shoes until they learn to walk. That's also why about 10% of the population (including me) have more bones in our feet than the rest of society. Apparently some of our feet don't get completely fused together before we stop growing. Most people with extra foot bones have no clue they have extras.

Ever watch a toddler develop thier arch? They walk around here and there for weeks only on the ball of their feet. The toddler equivalent of barefoot running. It appears to be a cruial step between learning to walk and learning to run (not the speedwalking that most figure out pretty quick, but real running with bouncing).

Walking/running on the ball of your feet is quite literally the cure for flat feet. Not some overly expensive shoes with lots of support that an overly expensive trip to the doctor told you to get.
  • planetrunner
    Options
    Can some of you guys that run like this please explain the advantages? I'm interested, but been running for 20 years in more traditional shoes. Thanks!

I am interested in it because I'm tired of shin splints and achy knees and I want to run all the way into my old age and beyond.

A really thorough explanation can be found in the book Born to Run. Awesome book! But basically a lot of people run with a heel strike which is BAD on the joints and body in general. Also shoes have too much cushion and restriction which prevents your foot from moving naturally when you run on the ball of your foot. The way shoes are made now (a lot, not all) encourages a heel strike and restricts natural movement.
    Back in the 70s running shoes were thin with very little padding and very few running injuries. It wasn't until thick cushion was put in shoes that people started getting all these injuries.

Born to Run is awesome and I found myself quickly caught-up in the advantages of the minimal shoe buzz. There are, however, a few small disadvantages that are commonly brought up:

- little detailed info is given about body type/shape in relation to barefoot/minimal running benefits (slight emphasis on benefits accrued by Mexicans, Kenyans and Ethiopians)
    - running shoe injury comparison data is missing (more runners today than the 1970s? more injuries today due to more runners than in the 1970s?)
    - barefoot running (and, by extension, barefoot running shoes) allows feet to flex, spread, splay and grip surfaces (Jeff Pisciotta, Senior Researcher, Nike's Sports Research Lab), whereas minimal running shoes keep the toes together that limits the full range of motion of the foot (= does the latter really allow for natural movement?)
    - relationship between barefoot/minimal running shoe benefits and surface type not really discussed in detail beyond McDougall's forrays into Mexico's hilly Copper Canyons and the other trail runners.

And, in the words of McDougall "But ultimately, the debate isn't about Bare Soles vs. Shoes. It's about LEARNING TO RUN GENTLY. Master that, and you can wear — or not wear — anything you please." (Source: http://www.chrismcdougall.com/barefoot.html)

Anyways, minimal/barefoot is another great tool to add to your running toolkit. Test it out and see what works best. You're the only one that will know best :) Good luck!
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I'm very interested in this as well. Thanks for the post.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So I spent an interesting hour talking at my local store. These guys are all marathon runners, and the store is very well respected. They just stopped selling Vibrams a couple weeks ago. In their words, too many customers were hurting themselves because they didn't properly train to wear them. They did have a good selectionof minimalist shoes but unfortunately not any in my size (9w). I tried a few different ones that were close like some of the retooled Sauconeys and ended up buying a pair of those. Still a 8mm drop, but they were lighter and felt better than my old pair. Had a good discussion also on stride length and cadence to help with my knee issue, which I appreciated. Soooo... I didn't end up going minimalist :) If you do and it works for you thats awesome and someday I may still give it a go. For me right now, it wasn't the right time.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to do a Zombie run! Where is it?

I forgot, I'm also going to do a Biggest Loser sponsored 15k on Nov 3rd. That should be a lot of fun! I'm hoping to see some of the coaches from the BL show there.
    http://runforyourlives.com/

I'm doing the Austin one.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    And, in the words of McDougall "But ultimately, the debate isn't about Bare Soles vs. Shoes. It's about LEARNING TO RUN GENTLY. Master that, and you can wear — or not wear — anything you please." (Source: http://www.chrismcdougall.com/barefoot.html)

This.

I'm not a big believer in the hooplah about toes, but running on the ball of the feet for sure. When you learn to run like that, type of shoe, or if you are wearing them or not, is irrelevant.

I have no doubt that I could go comfortably run a 5K in dress shoes.

My outdoor running shoes are Saucony Kinvaras (got 'em for $40). On the treadmill I don't bother with shoes.

Remember, pretty much everybody reading this learned to run barefoot. Most people unfortunately have forgotten how to run and their body atrophied. Likewise everybody at one time could squat A2G with absolutely perfect form. Most likewise have forgotten how.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I spent an interesting hour talking at my local store. These guys are all marathon runners, and the store is very well respected. They just stopped selling Vibrams a couple weeks ago. In their words, too many customers were hurting themselves because they didn't properly train to wear them. They did have a good selectionof minimalist shoes but unfortunately not any in my size (9w). I tried a few different ones that were close like some of the retooled Sauconeys and ended up buying a pair of those. Still a 8mm drop, but they were lighter and felt better than my old pair. Had a good discussion also on stride length and cadence to help with my knee issue, which I appreciated. Soooo... I didn't end up going minimalist :) If you do and it works for you thats awesome and someday I may still give it a go. For me right now, it wasn't the right time.

Hey, you compare the drop in many other "running" shoes, 8mm isn't that bad really, you are on your way there.

And actually, even easier to practice the required method right now. Just land flat footed and turnover close to 90/180.

Here are some comparisons to see that 8mm isn't that bad.

http://www.runblogger.com/2012/09/recommended-zero-drop-barefoot-style.html
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks he actually mentions the Ride 5s in his list, which is what I got.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Seems to me a pair of Chuck Taylors is pretty darned minimalist right there and you won't have ape feet.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread! I hate wearing shoes and used to love running (for fun) without shoes. Never thought there was any merit to it, but now my eyes are open. Right now I'm babying ankle pain from my walk/run yesterday.

I hate wearing sneakers my foot always feels compressed. I'm one of those people who can never find good shoes and most everything causes me blisters. Thats why I hold onto shoes until they are literally on the last thread because I hate breaking in new shoes its painful.

How does one get started in minimum/barefoot running. I live in a desert which means there are alot of sharp rocks and thorns. However, there are areas that are pretty sandy. Could I run in this kind of terrain?

Being that I'm so large would you not recommend this kind of running? Does my weight put me at too great of risk for injury? Is there special training that you need? What if you have a high instep does this kind of running put a lot of stress on pulling that ligament?

What are minimalist shoes? How come everything I read now says get a good shoe with the proper support and padding? So many questions but my interest is piqued.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I tried running and had knee and hip pain all the time. Went to fleet feet, fitted on treadmill, bought the shoes.
    STILL hip and knee pain, added shoulder pain (who knows why maybe stance). Gave up running for almost a year. Started slow again. Still pain. Got Vibrams Bikila LS. Started in at about 3 miles a time. NO MORE PAIN! NONE! I started running faster and farther, 2 months after I got them I ran my 1st half marathon in them. I LOVE them. I will NEVER go back to traditional shoes! Heading into my 1st trail run, 15.5 miles and I will be wearing my Vibrams. Also, you get used to the creepy toes. They actually benefited me in a way I didn't expect, my toes used to curl, they are almost straight now!

Great story!!!!
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I am about to go replace my Sauconeys today, so this was a very interesting read. I know my local running store carries everything from full support to minimalist to Vibrams, so it will be an interesting conversation. I was doing ok working my mileage up until a couple weeks ago when I went out REALLY fast on a 5k and the next day I could barely walk. Knees finally feel ok again, but I have to wonder if my stride and shoes (and admittedly weight!) were responsible.

Let us know what you decide on and how you like the shoes after you run in them.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I went to get a gait analysis done recently and was told i needed (and subsequently bought) some super supportive shoes. Is there any hope that I could ever go barefoot / minimalist i wonder.

I have heard many horror stories of people getting their gaits analyzed and the shoes they bought from the recommendation made everything worse. Planter Fasciitis,shin splints,knee pain, back pain,etc. Read born to run. And yes, you definitely should consider going minimus/barefoot.

Super structured shoes JACKED my legs up. Well intentioned salesperson. My FEET were comfy, but my legs were miserable. I'm happier in the more minimalist shoe I have now, and considering even more of a change. My doc (sports medicine) is actually kicking around the idea of doing a study to test his theory that super structured shoes actually cause problems, not fix them!

I'm glad to hear a doctor is looking into this problem. :happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I went to get a gait analysis done recently and was told i needed (and subsequently bought) some super supportive shoes. Is there any hope that I could ever go barefoot / minimalist i wonder.

I have heard many horror stories of people getting their gaits analyzed and the shoes they bought from the recommendation made everything worse. Planter Fasciitis,shin splints,knee pain, back pain,etc. Read born to run. And yes, you definitely should consider going minimus/barefoot.

It depends on the store that you go to. I had a "gait analysis" done by someone at a regular sporting goods store and they put me in the completely wrong shoes. I then went to a running store, got re-assessed and I couldn't be more happier with the shoes that I get from there. That is the only place that I'll buy my running shoes from.

I also have the Vibram 5 finger shoes and I've run in them a few times. I like them but they take a lot of getting used to. You'll have shin/calf soreness from them when you start using them. I highly recommend slowly breaking them in. I didn't and ended up with sore legs and blisters on my big toes from them. Run for only ten minutes at a time on a soft cushy surface and slowly build up the time. I really wish I had listened to my friend who told me to do that!
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread! I hate wearing shoes and used to love running (for fun) without shoes. Never thought there was any merit to it, but now my eyes are open. Right now I'm babying ankle pain from my walk/run yesterday.

I hate wearing sneakers my foot always feels compressed. I'm one of those people who can never find good shoes and most everything causes me blisters. Thats why I hold onto shoes until they are literally on the last thread because I hate breaking in new shoes its painful.

You shouldn't need to break in a pair of shoes. Shoe companies will tell you that shoes are good for X miles and then need replaced because the cushioning wears out, but really they just need to replace your shoes so that they can sell more shoes. You don't need the extra cushioning. Before the 1970s, most runners for sprinting and even ultra marathons ran in very thin soled leather or canvas shoes.
    How does one get started in minimum/barefoot running. I live in a desert which means there are alot of sharp rocks and thorns. However, there are areas that are pretty sandy. Could I run in this kind of terrain?
    There are some videos on youtube to get you started if you want a how- to. But generally, just find a place or time (indoor or out) when you can go barefoot. There is no need to wear shoes in your home for example, so start ditching your shoes there first. As for the sandy dessert, that might work, but you'll need to watch for obstacles and go when the sand is cool. Experiment to find what works for you.
    Being that I'm so large would you not recommend this kind of running? Does my weight put me at too great of risk for injury? Is there special training that you need? What if you have a high instep does this kind of running put a lot of stress on pulling that ligament?
    Go slow and work up. Start with walking and then increase your distance. Increase distance before you try to increase your speed. Think "gentle" steps. Theoretically, because you are using your ligaments as springs, barefoot should be easier on your joints (which could be a concern as heavier weight is bad for joints). You could try walking barefoot in a pool.
    What are minimalist shoes? How come everything I read now says get a good shoe with the proper support and padding? So many questions but my interest is piqued.

Minimalist shoes have very little heel and very little cushioning.

"Proper support" and "padding" is just untested gimmick-ry to get you to by the shoes. They may have been "tested" in the lab at the shoe maker, but not in a true scientific sense. There is no proof that those gimmicks are good for your feet and some evidence to even show that it make be bad for you feet.

I like this explanation for a good start about why barefoot running is possibly better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

First I have to recommend the book Born to Run. I learned a lot from it. I would not like to run on my bare skinned feet. I'm much too tender,even with my callouses. But it's up to you if your feet are up to it.

Start reading about the different kinds of shoes. If your foot feels compressed in normal shoes,you might really like the shoe with the toes. They let your toes spread.

High cushioned shoes trap your feet,encourage a heel strike,which causes stress and damage to your feet and body.
    Minimus shoes are very light with no, to very little cushion and they allow your feet to run in a more natural way.

You are not too heavy to run. Just start out slow. Around three days a week at first. Running minimus helps you run lighter on your feet also. You'll be fine. Look into the Couch 2 5k program by coolrunning. It'll ease you into a new pair of minimus/barefoot shoes as well as get ready to run a 5k.

Good luck!