Does it bother you that NOBODY NOTICES!

Options

Replies

• meridian35
    meridian35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've lost the same amount in 4 months and people just keep saying they like my new haircut!!! Thing is, imy hair's the same as it has been for the last nine months
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a bad history of dieting, so I'm losing weight through healthy lifestyle choices. It took me a year to lose 30 lbs. I dropped from a size 16 to a size 10. had lost about 35 lbs. before anyone noticed - over 1/3 of my body weight. Then they all thought I had lost it in the last week or so. I have no explanation for you. Even when you're doing it *right* and for all 'the right reasons, it would be nice if someone noticed.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I cornered my husband today, and insisted to know if he sees a difference. He says he does, so I'll be happy with that :-) Then he asked me why it was important if people could see I had lost, and told me that he never commented on things like that at work (he's a teacher and works with a lot of women). He refuses to comment because he never knows what is going on with the person, it can be everything from weightloss they have worked really hard on by way of miscarriages to bad reactions to medicine or agressive treatments.

I am horribly not tactful, so I'd have blurted it out if I noticed a colleague losing a lot of weight. He is however very considerate and polite, so I think I'll go with his strategy. and just not mention it. Which also means I shouldn't get annoyed that others aren't commenting.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I only lost around 13 pounds and went from the high end of bmi for normal to the middle range for normal and people noticed. However, I haven't really noticed it on myself. It was weird to me that a few people made comments that I look thinner even though I didn't really notice it on myself. For the few people who said it, many others said nothing. People probably just feel uncomfortable commenting on such things in the first place. I'd imagine a weight loss going from overweight to middle range like you probably did would be noticeable and people just feel uncomfortable saying it.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    My own mother hasn't noticed that I've lost 25 lbs and actually said to me the other day that if I start walking, I would probably find that I would lose some weight! I didn't bother telling her that, no I won't be going out walking but I will go out and do a 5-mile run instead! I am 10 lbs from my original goal weight and might increase it by another 5-10 lbs so it's not like 25 lbs is a small percentage of weight loss!

So, not only has not ONE person other than my husband commented on my weight loss but even my mother hasn't noticed.
  • jehuster
    Options
    it sucks,but do you notice?that's all that matters

^^^This^^^
  • panamasammii
    panamasammii Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! Im so frustrated that no one can tell that I have lost 46lbs!! I guess its cause I was so overweight and that I am still in the same clothes (though now alot baggier!).

Very Frustrating
  • Nessi37
    Nessi37 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First off, awesome job on the weight loss! That is a lot of work and it should be noticed and congratulated! I think people are uncomfortable talking about weight at work. If they mention you look great now, does it mean you didn't before? Only a handful of people have mentioned my weight loss and it perplexes me as well, especially after not seeing anyone over the summer. My solution for you? Post your pics and let us see the difference! You got a whole heck of a lot of people here who would appreciate your success and congratulate you on it. :wink:

^^^ Perfectly put^^^^ You are doing a great job! I know its frustrating when you feel like you are wokring so hard and no one else seems to acknowledge it but we are here to support you!
  • RiversideBabe
    RiversideBabe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Who did you lose the weight for??? Yourself or some people that you know? It sounds like the people that love you noticed. But the most important notice must come from you. You can be proud of what you have accomplished so far or you can focus on what other people think
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    hello I am a newbie. I have a question. I want to lose 20lbs and I am working hard at it with diet and exercise. I workout for 30 minutes and vigorously ride my bicycle for 3.5 miles a day. Anyhoo, the fitness diet is perplexing because it is so strict on sugar that it restricts eating fruits and vegetables and instead enourages bread and protein. I am going over on sugar just by eating wholesome fruits. I only eat half my calories and am way way under all the rest of the parts the diet.

What types of foods is this diet asking you to eat? How come it is so against fruit?
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think your post was in the middle of another topic but I wanted to respond. I don't think MFP requires any particular way of dieting. You choose what type, Low calorie, low carb, low fat etc. This is for tracking & it will set your macros for you are you can adjust them to suit your plan. While fruit is full of good things it is full of sugar & most of us don't do well eating more than a small amt each day. I do low carb so only eat an ocassional apple or a few berries. But I get my nutrition from low carb veggies. It is a matter of personal choice & how your ody responds. I hope you do well on you journey.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I've lost 10 lbs. since I started MFP and I had already lost 6lbs. before joining. I know that is only 16 lbs. but it would be nice to have someone notice. It's o.k. if they don't, but it would be a confidence builder.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Maybe they've noticed but are too afraid to say anything.
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm pouting. I lost 25 pounds this summer. I've lost 4" on my waist, 3 on my hips, and 2" on my bust. My clothes fit completely differently. My face looks thinner. My husband and my father and my mother all tell me I look great. I am now mid-range BMI for my height. I haven't been this weight for 20 years.

AND NOT ONE OF MY FRIENDS FROM WORK OR IN THE BAND I PLAY WITH HAS SAID A WORD! Okay, I don't need super congratulation. Yeah, you're not supposed to make personal comments about each other at work. But I didn't see them all summer and we've now been together 2 weeks and you'd think SOMEONE would notice!

Sorry. I'll stop venting. I know I'm not the center of the universe. But AGH!

Sounds like you're just fishing for compliments. I say AGH! to that.

I say it sounds like you are being a little rude because someone says they are upset about something. I can understand where they are coming from. When you work hard for something, the people closest to you should be aware and notice the changes!
  • cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about getting into better shape and overall health not looking for praise. Maybe THAT'S why they don't say anything, they know you relish the attention
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of buying yourself a new outfit to highlight your new bod... sometimes even though clothes fit differently people don't see that...

and... it can also be a challenging thing to bring up... people might not feel comfortable saying 'have you lost weight?'... but, one could easily say 'there is something different about you... what is it'
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I wanted to respond as well... I am a high raw vegan almost everything I eat is fruit or vegetable... you can determine what kind of food plan to follow by changing your goal settings.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It only bugged me when my Boyfriends sister didn't say anything about it but strangers on the street have congrats'd me. I don't expect her to just praise me or anything but I acknowledge her accomplishments (Big and small) and she has never really once said anything positive or encouraging or congratulatory towards me. Oh well.

I don't think it's fishing for compliments or selfish to want people to notice you've done something positive to change your life.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My husband and my father and my mother all tell me I look great.

sounds like a lot more people noticed than "nobody"
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wish I was in your position. I *HATE* it when people comment about it to me. "You've lost weight!" Really??!! Like I hadn't noticed it for myself?!! And then the "So how much have you lost then?" comments follow. Folks, it's none of your damn business. None of you would dare to ask me "So how much did you gain then?" when I was gaining, but suddenly it's OK to comment about my weight because I lost some? It's not OK. Aside from in here, and in another weight-loss group I was in, I haven't made a single post about my weight loss ANYWHERE on the internet, nor do I initiate any conversations about it in person. It's no-one's business but my own.

I figure that your family/friends etc either ran into someone like me previously (who eventually snapped and told them to, well, let's say "go away")... or they're the kind of people who see things like I do, that it's flat-out rude to comment on someone's weight, unless *they* initiate the conversation.