A tip for parents (and others, I guess)

Options
1235»

Replies

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It is simple people. Love and understanding and patience. When that fails you beat the f--k out of them. If that fails, sell them. I just got $10k for my son and last I checked e-Bay my daughter was at $14.5k.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Dammit she beat me to it.....this will be fun. Popcorn anyone??

Lol, I am not trying to argue with him, just curious. It's always easy for those who don't have to suggest ways in which parents ("or others") could do something different.

I'm a parent of five, and I agree with the OP. A relationship, whether it be with your spouse, your children or your friends, will only be as healthy as the communication within it.

I have yet to say whether or not I agree or disagree. I asked a question.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    If you're eager for your children to hide things from you, discipline them without asking them about things first. Works like a charm. They'll never come to you with anything.

Kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?

so so very true.

however, in this house, there is no deleting history, LMAO. My kid was so dumb to actually think their dad wouldn't know how to fetch it. bone head, she knows better!

I installed Norton 360 with parental controls... even if they delete the history, Norton tracks their every move for me.
    lol yes i use it for my husband to!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you're eager for your children to hide things from you, discipline them without asking them about things first. Works like a charm. They'll never come to you with anything.

Kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?

so so very true.

however, in this house, there is no deleting history, LMAO. My kid was so dumb to actually think their dad wouldn't know how to fetch it. bone head, she knows better!

I installed Norton 360 with parental controls... even if they delete the history, Norton tracks their every move for me.
    lol yes i use it for my husband to!

I just trust my S.O. its cheaper
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    It is simple people. Love and understanding and patience. When that fails you beat the f--k out of them. If that fails, sell them. I just got $10k for my son and last I checked e-Bay my daughter was at $14.5k.

HAHAHA, love it.

:laugh:
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Dammit she beat me to it.....this will be fun. Popcorn anyone??

Lol, I am not trying to argue with him, just curious. It's always easy for those who don't have to suggest ways in which parents ("or others") could do something different.

I'm a parent of five, and I agree with the OP. A relationship, whether it be with your spouse, your children or your friends, will only be as healthy as the communication within it.

I have yet to say whether or not I agree or disagree. I asked a question.

Sorry I didn't mean to drag you in to a agree/disagree, just figured that was coming and you said it first!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've disciplined without asking questions first. You don't have to always ask questions to know what the facts are. Have you raised teenagers?
    kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?
    At least he won't be searching things he needs to hide on MY computer in MY house.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    -
  • magj0y
    Options
    I've disciplined without asking questions first. You don't have to always ask questions to know what the facts are. Have you raised teenagers?
    kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?
    At least he won't be searching things he needs to hide on MY computer in MY house.

I have raised teenagers... does that make my opinion as valid as your's? I don't think I've ever disciplined my kids with out asking them any questions.... I at least want to make sure they comprehend what they're getting punished for! Sometimes that is lost in translation. I want to make sure the communication is clear and that requires questions. There is no room for debate on the punishment, but communication is key.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I have raised teenagers... does that make my opinion as valid as your's? I don't think I've ever disciplined my kids with out asking them any questions.... I at least want to make sure they comprehend what they're getting punished for! Sometimes that is lost in translation. I want to make sure the communication is clear and that requires questions. There is no room for debate on the punishment, but communication is key.

Should we compare children and see whose kids turned out better now?

Or shall we concede that there are many ways to raise a child and no one method will work for every family?
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    All opinions are valid. I was seriously wanting to know. It's easier to have this discussion with people who have already raised teenagers. I didn't say I always discipline before asking questions, but it has happened. I can take away car keys and send them to their room immediately, then wait to communicate the next morning. That's worked well for us in certain cases. When everyone is upset, it's best to wit to discuss, but an immediate punishment is warranted. Since you e raised teenagers, I'm sure you can think of some situations where you might do this.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Should we compare children and see whose kids turned out better now?

Or shall we concede that there are many ways to raise a child and no one method will work for every family?

I don't want to compare. My kids are dipsh!ts, all three of them. I don't know how they find the door to leave in the morning. I look at them every day and say in my best Buford T Justice voice, "There is no way.... no way.... that you come from my loins."
  • magj0y
    Options

I don't want to compare. My kids are dipsh!ts, all three of them. I don't know how they find the door to leave in the morning. I look at them every day and say in my best Buford T Justice voice, "There is no way.... no way.... that you come from my loins."

Oh man there are days I feel like that. They have *no* sense of direction what so ever. Sometimes, they think they're on the other side of the damned town, THAT is how bad they are! My nieces are the same.
    Then they do things in just the most nonsensical manner I can imagine. They some time do things the hard way and I just look at them and think "who ARE these people?"

My mantra?
    They don't drink, do drugs, bully other kids. They're polite, sweet and well mannered in public... I still have some hairs that aren't grey, and they didn't stab someone like a classmate of mine. yet. The pastor saw me at the grocery store and was talking about how ridiculously well mannered they are at church. Now only if I can get them to do that at home?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids, wouldn't trade them, but common sense seemed to skip a generation in our family. 2 more years.... 2 more years and the last kid is outta the house.

That poor kid, she's on the color guard team (wtf?) and they got their uniforms. I swear, they look like oompa loompas dressed as jesters for halloween. except my daughter is 5'10 and 0lbs. I don't even know what to say. I couldn't even laugh it was that bad. "Mom, you're not even laughing.. is it? is it that...bad?"

Thank God they were so well behaved in public or it would have ended me.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Most teens are dip$hits at some point during those years!
  • magj0y
    Options
    When everyone is upset, it's best to wit to discuss, but an immediate punishment is warranted. Since you e raised teenagers, I'm sure you can think of some situations where you might do this.

Oh, absolutely. Except I don't give them their punishment. I make them sweat that part out. Then the next morning they're super nice and sweet, talky and friendly to their sister hoping for a lighter punishment and then they get their punishment and the gloom and doom is back. Also if I dole out punishment when I'm angry, I go over board and then I have to tweak it and look weak. "For now. You sit in your room" works great.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take away the spoons from ALL the stirrers. ALL OF THEM.

You never fail to make me LOL!!:laugh:
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you're talking about Swissmiss (not the hot chocolate, the MFP user!)
  • proudarmywife06
    proudarmywife06 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Where did all of this come from? The other post about kids looking up meth on the parents computer?
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I would be sending you off to boot camp. No way this attitude would last one minute in my home. :bigsmile:
  • Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    just beat them