What was your moment of "enough is enough"?

Options

Replies

• marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    the number I saw on the scale was higher than the day I went into labor with my daughter, nearly 3 years earlier! It wasn't a pretty number and I knew I would just keep going up if I didn't do something about it.
  • Shandril
    Options
    When I saw a photo of myself. I"m usually the photographer! : o
  • rishonb
    rishonb Posts: 232
    Options
    enough was enough was when i was trying on pants in my closet that i knew i wore like months before and they couldn't fit.. Than when i was driving my button on my pants popped off cause of my stomach. oh heck no that was it for me..had to make some changes..
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My "enough is enough" moment came in two ways (moments).

The first was when I put a bunch of pics in my digital picture frame and could see the progression of weight gain in a nice little slideshow. :sad:

The second has come from my body. About a month or so ago it seemed like everything I ate made my ill. I took that as my body's way of saying, "Okay, this is getting ridiculous. You eat crap, so we'll make you feel like crap" :explode:

I'm starting slow, but my body is already responding positively. I'm really excited to see the end result!
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I went in for my annual at my gyne and weighed in at a whopping 194. I was just...horrified. I was bigger than I was at 9 months pregnant, and that was just...not okay with me.

3 months later and 20lbs lighter, I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight. And though I've lost 20lbs I have never once felt deprived or felt like I can't eat what I want to - I just think of my calories like money and I only get so much, so I'm choosier on what I "spend" on.

But that said, the benefits of working out go way beyond my weight...I love going for a walk with my husband and not making him slow down!

Calories like money... that's actually a really interesting way to look at it. I may need to adopt it.
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    When I went to the dermatologist and asked him about the dark marks on the bottoms of my legs. He said that when you are fat, it cuts off the blood flow returning to your heart, and it pools in your legs. How horrible is that? I lost 86 pounds after that, gained back some, and now I am on my way down again.
  • Africandoll18
    Options
    today when a button popped at work,lol
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When a friend of a friend of mine started calling me fat *ss, that really got to me. Also, rejection. Going to make a change for the better.
  • coppercat25
    coppercat25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was in denial for a good few years that I was overweight but last Christmas I really was my biggest and felt it. I'd always been one of those girls who say 'who cares about your weight as long as my friends/family love me that's all that matters' and 'you only live once so why watch what you eat?' my friends and family DID love me the way I was and never said anything negative about my weight, in a way I wish they would of so I could have started this journey sooner!

It was a few things that did it for me in the end. A picture of me on Christmas day last year I saw looked horrendous and after denying it and going on a few food binges, such as lying in bed with a mountain of mcdonalds food, drinking vodka and smoking weed, and just feeling crap! I knew stuff had to change.

I work part time in the afternoons, and after my partner went to work int he morning I would go back to bed with a multipack of crisps and eat the lot. Plus something awful for lunch. I looked in the mirror and just cried at the rolls of fat, and the fact my stomach was way larger than my boobs, and now hanging down to past my lady bits, I felt so unattractive and unworthy of my partner. (Pleased to report my stomach has shrunk a lot!)

So I just started eating right and joined the gym. Lost 19lbs since January, not loads I know! But, I feel so much better for it. Don't have any pain in my knees anymore! And I'm still enjoying occasional junk food and wine, just in smaller and less frequent quantities!

Also, my other half proposed in May, and we get married in February, so I now have more motivation to get fit and to a healthy weight!

Good luck to all of you!
  • kennyscott
    kennyscott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was pitching *kitten* two years ago against a cousin of mine who was (and is) in good shape. He was there in his medium shirt and I in my XXXL Orange one and my wife took an innocent picture of us playing. When I saw the picture, I was disgusted and I said then and there "That's enough." That same cousin told me about Myfitnesspal and two years later I am over 83 pounds lighter than I was when that picture was taken. I have added a healthy dose of exercise to my better eating habits as well. It was the first weight loss plan that I ever tried and had any success at. It changed my eating habits and my life. I was on blood pressure medicine for nearly 15 years and I was able to get off of it due to my weight loss. My wife who took the picture uses MFP with me and she has lost over 40 pounds as well. Thanks MFP!
  • nimuekl7
    nimuekl7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I realized the weight gain my Doc suggested was doing way more harm than good and would only help if I was trying to concieve. I was at a healthy weight for my height before gaining and he wanted me to put on 25-30, putting that weight on caused all kinds of havoc though it was done in a healthy way for the most part.
  • severins_obsession
    Options
    So many moments to choose from, hard to pick just one... It's clear now that it wasn't any one thing in particular, but a lifetime of missed opportunities and disappointment.

Most of all, I am tired of allowing myself to be treated badly because I don't feel I deserve any better. Relationship-wise, I've spent most of my life either alone or settling far below my standards because of how uncomfortable I feel in my own skin. Usually, I won't even put forth the effort with a guy I *really* like because I assume that he's out of my league.

No more of that junk... seriously. I am an attractive, smart, fun-loving girl, and I don't want my weight issues to go on being the reason (real or perceived) nobody wants to look any deeper.

I want to look at photos of myself having fun and not instantly want to burn them :)
  • Daddypantz
    Daddypantz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It was the "one-two" punch of going on vacation feeling pretty down about my self image and not wanting to enjoy the activities due to my middle aged sloppy gut. That combined with a viewing of Forks Over Knives set me down a path to where I am today. At least 10-15 pounds lighter than when we went on vacation. I'm feeling (mostly) good and looking better, but it's just the first steps on a bigger journey.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    The breakdown (& up) of a LTR gave me more time & mental space to focus on me. The process itself was empowering; wasn't attached to outcomes, & exercise helped me deal with bad feelings.
  • sarahmichelexo
    sarahmichelexo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    all in all i just decided im sick of having to wear layers of shirts (the lacy kind), im sick of not being able to wear shorts and skirts during the summer, feeling super self-conscoius when we go on my parents boat, and quite frankly i feel incredibly unattractive in the bedroom, if you catch my drift.

i am doing this to better ME!!!

This sounds just like me! In every way!

My enough is enough moment was seeing my friend lose 50lbs since march and knowing if she can do it so can I!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I was a chubby kid and struggled with it for most of my life. When I was about 19 I lost a ton of weight and was super cute for about 7 years then it started coming back. When I met my x-husband I could fit into his clothes (he was a small guy). I was 168 on my wedding day and over 200 the next year. Eventually that relationship went away and I moved to be closer to my mom.

I started going to the gym a few months later and lost about 12 lbs but had to give it up because it was way too much $$$ - I had a personal trainer who was pretty well useless so I just stopped. I met my boyfriend and he loved me just the way I was, he's never said a word about my weight and even at my heaviest he would tell me every day how much he loved me. Fast forward a few years and my knees were hurting, my back was hurting, hips, elbows, wrists..everything. I was in pain all the time and constantly hating what I saw in the mirror. My sex drive was nose diving because when you don't 'feel' cute it just doesn't work. My clothes were getting tight and I just felt horrible. I decided that I should just try to watch what I was eating and to stop binging with my boyfriend all the time because even though he never gains an ounce from it I had gained about 30 lbs since we were together.

I went back to my website that I had used before and started tracking calories again but then my boyfriend's x wife mentioned she was on MFP and I signed up too. It's been about 3 months and I am feeling way better. There are still little pains but the major things that were always hurting have stopped!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Using these as a kick in my butt because so many resonate with me
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was telling a friend about my mom passing away when I was 8. I commented that I didn't remember her and that it scared me that if I died today, my youngest may not remember me. His response will never leave my head. How old do they have to be before it is ok for you to die?

Holy cow!! That's a pretty jacked up thing for someone to say when you are sharing a painful experience with them! OMG!! My jaw literally dropped when I read that...
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This summer when I saw pictures of myself and I didn't see the person I thought I was. I just saw a large, tired looking woman and realized that I didn't want to be that person anymore.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This time it was an abscessed tooth.

Over 8 years ago the defining moment was being diagnosed with diabetes. I cried, took Metformin and went on a diet. I lost 70 lbs that year and was able to stop the medication and control with diet. I got married and slowly abandoned the diet. Over the next 6 years I gained back the 70 lbs and added a few more.

At the end of March I had to go to an oral surgeon for an abscessed tooth. He informed me that I also needed to have 2 wisdom teeth removed as well. Being a type 2 diabetic I was going to have to report my morning blood glucose level on the day of oral surgery. I knew that if my BGL was over 200 he wouldn't be able to do the surgery. I tested my blood the next morning. My fasting BGL was 280. I finally accepted that I was not controlling my diabetes with diet. But, I knew I could and I did not want to go on medication. I had a week and a half to get those numbers below 200. I went back on my diet. Got it down to 180 for the surgery, got back to my regular doctor and have stayed on the diet ever since. My fasting BGL is now averaging 118 without medication and I've lost 47 pounds.