Here comes Honey Boo Boo

Options

Replies

• BARBY1956
    Options
    Saw the show for the first time. I think it's sad and a commentary on gross TV. I will never watch it or its likes again. American TV has hit another low.

This.. I am so embarrassed for them....especially the older girls.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    it seems like mothers trying to live vicariously thru their daughters!! i like teen mom better lol totally sarcastic...diners drive-ins and dives rules!!

I do agree with the mothers living vicariously through their daughters..i mean these mothers are quite large...dont take care of themselves...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    funny-celebrity-pictures-honey-boo-boo-child-has-her-own-television-show.jpg
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i threw out my television well over a decade ago. i just found out about this show a few days ago, when i heard that more people watched *it* than the RNC. this is why i'm often embarrassed about being an american. i was embarrassed when i heard about jersey shore and then this.

thankfully, it is not a true representation of "country" living. i grew up in many places, but one of them was about as redneck as it could get. i picked peaches & almonds off the street trees, berries & pomegranates, sucked the nectar out of what we called honeysuckle (though i'm not sure it really was honeysuckle). we drank soda, but then collected all the beer bottles from the neighborhood to return for a dime each at the market, where we'd score huge bags of penny candy.

i can't imagine anyone would feel comfortable in exploiting a child on so many levels. it makes me sick to my stomach and is abusive on so many subtle levels. the support of watching it (with ratings) makes you participatory, whether you recognize it or not. i'm not judging you over it - i don't even know you. lots of people (clearly) are with you on it. and i may even support it unknowingly by occasionally buying from a commercial sponsor (which i wouldn't know about because i don't watch the show) but that doesn't mean my actions aren't counted.

in any case, i love real country folk. but that ain't it.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The fact people watch crap like that, is a sad commentary on society.

Just about all reality shows left are a sad commentary on society.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Just watched the trailer for this show....

...I can't stop cringing.

THIS!!!

The thought that out of all the contestents that she has competed against somehow SHE is famous? The quote was about it. And the way that girl is is rather frightening. They let this little 6 year old drink Mt. Dew, red bulls, and sugar her up (probably why she is overweight for her age group). Her mom sees no harm in this of course, but then again she's really overweight. Now, I am not saying overweight is unattractive, but when you are also overweight from those unhealthy habits at THAT young an age, it will lead to further problems in the future.

I am NOT against children entering pagents IF it is their own choice. I watched one episode of Toddlers and Tiara's and it was appaling when one of the moms repeatedly forced her child to participate and her child would cry and throw a fit and not WANT to do the show basically. Honey Boo Boo annoyance wants to at the least.

What I do NOT agree with is when the parents get overly obsessed and spend THOUSANDS of dollars on their childs looks for these shows. That money SHOULD be going to an education. I think they should be focused on the natural beauty of the kid, not glam them up with over amounts of make up, fake teeth, tanning (why would you ever subject a kid to that?!) and skimpy outfits. That bothers me the most... it's one thing to compete, but to put them in a bikini or have their belly showing, it's like you're PROMOTING pedophilia. And before people start on the "oh they have rights to dress how they want, they're not asking" bull crap... think about it... You may not be ASKING for it, but some creepy old pedophile perv could be sitting at home watching it with THAT intent whether you want it or not. The more skin, the more fuel to the fire for most of them.

I think the show is retarded, and it makes people like that look amazing. But it's trashy, and they are very uneducated. But they try to play it off as "this is good!" It's not... save money for your childs education so maybe someone in that crappy family can have an ounce of a chance in life... and for f**ks sake stop feeding your child crap!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I refuse to watch that show because the more viewers who watch that trash, the more money that redneck family gets to primp and parade around their over-caffinated diva daughter like a pig in lipstick at these children pageants. :grumble:
  • kayemme
    Options
    hey, i watch that show and i'm pretty damn smart.:happy:

just 'cuz you think it doesn't make it true :)

(i'm not saying you're not smart, but i am saying that our opinions of ourselves can often be really skewed)
  • dawnkykong
    dawnkykong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Saw the show for the first time. I think it's sad and a commentary on gross TV. I will never watch it or its likes again. American TV has hit another low.

Agreed. Half the show is devoted to making her look like something she isn't. Then they actively encourage the family to act like trash and give them a bunch of money for their effort. The whole thing is just sad.

She was apparently in my town recently buying a wig (as all children do, of course). The store owner said the girl is actually very normal and down to earth, but when the cameras are rolling they prod her into acting outrageous and quoting stripper quotes (after giving her a liter of red bull and Mountain Dew, of course). It's borderline child abuse. People like it, I guess. No accounting for taste.

I completely agree with both of you and watching that show encourages ignorance and just makes them rich for it. I couldn't imagine my family acting that way.
  • birdieandkenadi05
    Options
    There are some of the most judgmental, hypocritical, unforgiving, overly opinionated people in these chat rooms. Its so sad that you cant post a topic about what you like without people stereotyping or judging you as a person. Get off your high horses!! geeesshhhh! I dont watch the show but I dont look down on people who do or feel this show is the reason for "society as a whole" being a wreck! Its not that serious....take a xanax and relax!!!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    they all watch the show, watch themselves and aren't ashamed or embarrassed. i don't really get why people are so flabbergasted by this show. there are way way worse shows where people behave atrociously. all those "dating" shows where people slut it up with strangers, jersey shore, girlfriend confidential....

at least this show is about a family no matter how cringe worthy you feel it is i cringe more when i see shows about *kitten* partying and women acting like and getting treated like a brainless pieces of meat
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    GAh!

:::lights her hair on fire, runs in circles and pokes her eyes out::
  • windycitycupcake
    Options

(i'm not saying you're not smart, but i am saying that our opinions of ourselves can often be really skewed)

um no...im smart. haha what a weird thing to say. my opinion of my intelligence is not skewed, yikes, that is kind of a rude thing to say to someone.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen the show, but it sure does make for some great GIFs from what I've seen already.

June-Honey-Boo-boo.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6199-1344527091-2.gif

MMIVs.gif

Honey-boo-gas.gif

fart-honey-boo-boo.gif
  • windycitycupcake
    Options
    i had no idea that people felt so dramatic and devastated by this show. like suicide worthy. yikes. it's just another dumb show, reality shows are usually trainwrecks.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yuck. :indifferent:
  • dawnkykong
    dawnkykong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Is this another damn American beauty pageant mom show?

As a parent of two young daughters, the concept absolutely disgusts me. I don't normally have such strong opinions on things, but this is child abuse, plain and simple!

AGREED!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    they all watch the show, watch themselves and aren't ashamed or embarrassed. i don't really get why people are so flabbergasted by this show. there are way way worse shows where people behave atrociously. all those "dating" shows where people slut it up with strangers, jersey shore, girlfriend confidential....

at least this show is about a family no matter how cringe worthy you feel it is i cringe more when i see shows about *kitten* partying and women acting like and getting treated like a brainless pieces of meat

I wouldn't know about other shows as I don't watch reality TV at all. I may watch one or two suspense shows like CSI back when that was good, but trash TV is not for me. And to think TLC once stood for the learning channel. More like totally ludicrous channel nowadays
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can't watch those meat beasts...I refuse to add to the celebration of total and utter mediocrity!!!
  • kayemme
    Options

um no...im smart. haha what a weird thing to say. my opinion of my intelligence is not skewed, yikes, that is kind of a rude thing to say to someone.

maybe you are. i didn't mean it to be rude.
This discussion has been closed.